Thread: TV Station picks Bears over Colts

Default TV Station picks Bears over Colts

http://journalgazette.net/article/20...58/1008/SPORTS

TV station picks Bears over Colts
    Justin A. Cohn | The Journal Gazette
    INDIANAPOLIS – Fans in the Fort Wayne area who tuned in to see the Colts play the Carolina Panthers were greeted by “Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course” on Sunday afternoon.

For the first time in at least a decade, a local TV station decided the Colts weren’t the team it wanted to broadcast.

The decision was made by the local Fox affiliate, which is under the umbrella of Granite Broadcasting Corporation and part of Indiana’s NewsCenter.

The Fox channel had the rights to the Colts’ home game, but it could only broadcast one game because CBS had the doubleheader Sunday. Indiana’s NewsCenter chose the late-afternoon Chicago Bears game at Oakland over the Colts’ 27-19 loss that dropped them to 0-11.

“The buck stops with me,” Jerry Giesler, president and general manager of Indiana’s NewsCenter, said in a telephone interview. “We talked a lot about it internally. Of course, the year in, year out logical choice would be the Colts. Absolutely, no question. The reason we went with the Bears was to follow the compelling story, their (playoff) hopes alive, a new quarterback.”

The local Fox affiliate acted in accordance with the league’s TV contracts, NFL spokesman Dan Masonson said.

Masonson wrote in an email to The Journal Gazette that Fort Wayne is considered a “secondary market for the Colts,” meaning Fort Wayne TV affiliates are required to show only Indianapolis’ road games.

“When it comes to home games … it is a programming decision made by the local affiliate,” Masonson wrote.

Fort Wayne is considered a secondary market because its TV signals reach to within 75 miles of Indianapolis, according to Masonson. Fort Wayne isn’t considered a secondary market for any other NFL city, including Chicago, so Indiana’s NewsCenter could have decided to show any Fox game.

“We’re all Colts fans, at heart, at Indiana’s NewsCenter,” said Giesler, adding the station was flooded with calls Sunday.

“It would be crazy for me to try to say we got more in support of (our decision) than there were against us. But we’re broadcasters. Our signal heads west toward Chicago and there were a lot of people who loved what we did as well as a lot of people within the city limits who did too”

Giesler said there are weeks when the Bears aren’t on locally and those fans are irate.

“My apologies go to all the Colts fans who thought we let them down,” Giesler said. “But I think we also do our job of giving balance throughout the year of giving critical games.”

WANE, the CBS affiliate that carries AFC games locally, showed Cleveland at Cincinnati in the early game, then New England at Philadelphia.

Default Re: TV Station picks Bears over Colts

map showing television coverage of the next Colts game:

(just kidding! I would be royally ticked off if I were a Colts fan living near Ft. Wayne)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

(just kidding! I would be royally ticked off if I were a Colts fan living near Ft. Wayne)
    [I[/I]

I grew up near Ft. Wayne and usually I knew Lions fans (I guess Bears fans are also possible too) Northern Indiana is Bears country and as bad as the Colts have been in the past the only way a Bears game gets precedence is if its on CBS or Fox the same time the Colts game is

The Colts game is 1 PM and the Bears game was at 4 PM yet they still opted to not bother with the Colts game at all.

This really has never happened.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

LOL that was a good one. Well done.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

The Bears' compelling story.

Tough blow but losing Cutler really hurts them. But anyway, I guess these people aren't REAL Colts fans.

I almost just slept instead of watching the game Sunday, but I ended up not doing that. Suffer through the season, hopefully get a win next fall.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Pretty sure Louisville did the same thing this past Sunday.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    The Bears' compelling story.

Tough blow but losing Cutler really hurts them. But anyway, I guess these people aren't REAL Colts fans.

I almost just slept instead of watching the game Sunday, but I ended up not doing that. Suffer through the season, hopefully get a win next fall.
    Compared to the Colts this season? Yeah they would be. They're in the playoff hunt. Its about the bottom line more people would rather watch the Bears in that area(and I hate to say it despite the Colts popularity the Bears are mostly supreme usually) than the Colts.

The compelling story for the Colts will take place in the offseason.

Bears were legit Super Bowl contenders before Cutler went down.

The Colts-Patriots game will go from being one of the most-viewed and most anticipated games of the year to one of the least-viewed and least widely distributed games ever.

Not a single out-of-market affiliate will carry the game, only Indy's home area affiliates and New England's home area affiliates.

http://atp.patsfans.com/2011/11/29/t...colts-at-pats/

Next Sunday’s Pats-Colts game will be televised by the eight CBS stations in New England that broadcast every Patriots game, and the five Indiana stations that broadcast every Colts game. That’s it. No more. Zero neutral markets. By comparison, there are more stations airing the Titans-Bills, or the Ravens-Browns games. The Rams-49ers and Panthers-Bucs games will be seen by a comparable number of viewers.