Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA top free agents 2011

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA top free agents 2011

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would just like to reiterate how awesome it is that we have cap room. I've been waiting for this since like '08. Can't believe the days of having $35 mil dedicated to TJ, Dunleavy, Murph, and Tinsley are over.
    I'm glad it is a year where some decent bigs that we will have a shot at are available.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I were in charge I would try to steal DeAndre Jordan from the Clips for relatively cheap. If (when) that doesen't work, I would hope to pick up Kwame Brown for as little as possible. Either way, there is no one on these lists I feel comfortable offering max/near max level contracts to.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    If I were in charge I would try to steal DeAndre Jordan from the Clips for relatively cheap. If (when) that doesen't work, I would hope to pick up Kwame Brown for as little as possible. Either way, there is no one on these lists I feel comfortable offering max/near max level contracts to.
    I tend to follow this way of thinking as well

Unless we get David West at a reduced rate (whatever that may be) I say we pass, and wait until next year when the FA class will be CRAZY

Its not like we are "one player away from championship contention" so might want to save the money
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Quick question about how many min per game would you expect OJ to get with George, Paul, DC, and Granger?(putting all of them because they will be the ones in the rotation as well)
    Depending on how many minutes that you think that PG and GH should play, there is enough minutes for a WingMan to play about 26 mpg

DC - 30-32 mpg ( on average 31 mpg )
    Granger - 32-34 mpg ( on average 33 mpg at the SF spot )
    PG - 26-28 mpg ( on average 27 mpg split at the SG spot )
    GH - 26-28 mpg ( on average 27 mpg split between the PG and SG spots )
    ??? - 26 mpg ( split between the the backup SG and SF spots )

Personally, I think that there is a need to get an additional scoring threat on the floor. PG could be that guy this season...but than again...it may take another season or two for him to figure it out. I don't want to wait.

I'd prefer to reduce Granger's minutes...but if there is an opportunity to get a solid scoring SG like Mayo ( or anyone else...like Afflalo or a cheaper option like Reggie Williams via FA ), than the minutes are there.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    If you're going to steal DeAndre from the Clips, it's not going to be relatively cheap.

I like the Kwame idea, he could be a solid backup 5/occasional 4 for us, but I think Jordan is still in love with him after all these years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you're going to steal DeAndre from the Clips, it's not going to be relatively cheap.
    It's definately a longshot, but when dealing with Donald Sterling you never know. He may be willing to let him go for a bag of magic beans.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Depending on how many minutes that you think that PG and GH should play, there is enough minutes for a WingMan to play about 26 mpg

Personally, I think that there is a need to get an additional scoring threat on the floor. PG could be that guy this season...but than again...it may take another season or two for him to figure it out. I don't want to wait.

I'd prefer to reduce Granger's minutes...but if there is an opportunity to get a solid scoring SG like Mayo ( or anyone else...like Afflalo or a cheaper option like Reggie Williams via FA ), than the minutes are there.
    I fall in the "We don't really need a 2" camp, but the exception I could get behind is Reggie Williams. He's still young, .423 from the 3 last year is insane, and he could come fairly cheaply. I like the idea of having a 3-point assassin on the bench like the Bulls do with Korver.

If we were to get him though, we might as well trade Rush for peanuts or cut him, because there would be absolutely no minutes for him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I like the Kwame idea, he could be a solid backup 5/occasional 4 for us, but I think Jordan is still in love with him after all these years.
    This brings up an interesting question.

We know that the Pacers HAVE to add roughly $12 mil in 2011-2012 Salary before the end of the trade deadline.

IF the Pacers decide NOT to go after huge Players...in other words....not spend all of the $$$ in one shot....what positions of need ( and therefore Players ) do you think that we have to pursue in order to reach that goal of spending $12 mil?

At the very least.....I'm thinking making a run at Kwame at $4-5 mil a year and Foster at $2.5 mil a year to fill out the Frontcourt. Kwame can fill the role that Foster played last season ( the guy that backed up Hibbert ) and Foster can fill the role of Solo in the rotation last season ( the guy that filled in when the someone in the frontcourt was injured ).

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'd be offering a Max Contract to Marc Gasol and hoping Memphis won't match, and if they do match, they'll have to unload half their team in lopsided trades.
    Marc Gasol is not worth anywhere near the Max.

He's a good player, but let's be realistic. Paying max money to a guy that averaged 11 and 7 last year just because of one playoff run is that last thing we need to be considering doing.

That would be as bad as murphy and croshere, maybe almost as bad as both combined.

He isn't that much better than Roy, would you give him anywhere near 25-30 percent of our WHOLE salary cap?

I'm hope our management doesn't think that way.

Sports Logo

I fall in the "We don't really need a 2" camp, but the exception I could get behind is Reggie Williams. He's still young, .423 from the 3 last year is insane, and he could come fairly cheaply. I like the idea of having a 3-point assassin on the bench like the Bulls do with Korver.

If we were to get him though, we might as well trade Rush for peanuts or cut him, because there would be absolutely no minutes for him.
    IF Bird thinks that there is a need to fill out the Backcourt with a scorer...I'm all for Reggie Williams. I was just suggesting the Mayo move since Bird seemed to be interested in him from last season while knowing that the Grizz would have to make some cost cutting moves IF some Team makes Marc Gasol some insane contract.

Personally, I know that I'm in the minority....but I honestly wouldn't mind if we didn't add another backcourt Player and just divy up the remaining 22-26 mpg between Inferno and some combination of BRush or Lance.

This brings up an interesting question.

We know that the Pacers HAVE to add roughly $12 mil in 2011-2012 Salary before the end of the trade deadline.

IF the Pacers decide NOT to go after huge Players...in other words....not spend all of the $$$ in one shot....what positions of need ( and therefore Players ) do you think that we have to pursue in order to reach that goal of spending $12 mil?

At the very least.....I'm thinking making a run at Kwame at $4-5 mil a year and Foster at $3 mil a year to fill out the Frontcourt. Kwame can fill the role that Foster played last season ( the guy that backed up Hibbert ) and Foster can fill the role of Solo in the rotation last season ( the guy that filled in when the someone in the frontcourt was injured ).
    I believe if we don't spend all of the $12 mil, the players on our roster will split however much is left to be spent. That said, if we have to spend the money we might as well do it as long as the contracts are short.

A Foster 1 or 2 year deal would not surprise me at all. Might even pay him slightly more than he's worth as a little thank you for not going to a contender.

We'll definitely need another backup 5, so yeah a guy like Kwame (probably worse I'd guess) will eat up a few mil.

If we don't sign a big money 4 (or trade for one) we'll need to either re-sign Josh or get a backup 4.

Mood

I think Hill and PG will get more minutes, but yeah there still should be a decent amount of minutes left ~20. I also think the price for Mayo will be way more than what I would want to give for a 2 coming of the bench only playing 20 min, especially with the young group of guards that we current have.

But yes I do like the Reggie Williams guy but I have a feeling that he will end up being a guy coveted by a lot of teams.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

I'd throw a near Max at Nene. He's closest to being worth it, and there aren't too many other more attractive options this year, plus now that deals are only 4 years he'll likely still be productive by the end.

If David West is discounted i'm all for going for him 4 years isn't too bad and his game isn't predicated on athleticism, we know he works well with Collison, and he was arguably having his best year when he got injured.

Otherwise i'd just sign temporary/ 1 year frontloaded players and roll the dice and hope in next years FA class.

Keep in mind that if the pacers save money this year and make a big splash we may actually be an attractive destination basketballwise for a bigger name player. We can't let the small market stigma become a self-fufilling prophecy. If we can put our selves out there, whats the harm? Beats spending cash on albatross contracts out of panic.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Mood

IF Bird thinks that there is a need to fill out the Backcourt with a scorer...I'm all for Reggie Williams. I was just suggesting the Mayo move since Bird seemed to be interested in him from last season while knowing that the Grizz would have to make some cost cutting moves IF some Team makes Marc Gasol some insane contract.

Personally, I know that I'm in the minority....but I honestly wouldn't mind if we didn't add another backcourt Player and just divy up the remaining 22-26 mpg between Inferno and some combination of BRush or Lance.
    Forgot all about Lance, that would only leave 8-12 min a game, yeah that would be a big waste, even with Reggie Williams I think.
    Why so SERIOUS

Banned

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._agents_112711

David West(notes) has a message for any NBA teams looking to sign an elite power forward when the free-agent market opens on Dec. 9: If you pass on him because of concerns about his surgically repaired left knee, you’ll regret it.

One of the more productive players at his position in recent years, West tore his left anterior cruciate ligament late last season. West, 31, says his knee feels strong and he’s progressed to playing with some contact.

“I’m glad they’re doubting me,” West told Yahoo! Sports. “I am going to shock folks. I have not stopped working. No vacations. No family time. No chilling. I have not worked this hard or as consistent in any point of my career, college or pro.”

More From Marc J. SpearsDorell Wright gives big assist to those in need Nov 23, 2011 NBA lockout puts Mavs' coronation on hold Nov 22, 2011
    David West tore his left anterior cruciate ligament near the end of last season.

(NBAE/Getty Images)
    West has played his entire NBA career with the New Orleans Hornets. But while the Hornets are interested in re-signing him, West plans to assess all his free-agent options. The franchise’s future is uncertain for two reasons: The NBA still is looking for an owner for the Hornets; and All-Star guard Chris Paul(notes) could end up being traded if New Orleans fears he’ll leave as a free agent at the end of next season.

“Basically, I’m looking at the best option for the next few years of my career,” West said. “I want to win. … I’m really going to look at every option closely and make a well thought-out decision.”

West probably won’t have

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Playing with some contact isn't the same as playing a real game. So what, does this mean he is another 2-3 months away? Sorry I want a player who can start right away.

Honestly if we signed West we will have a strong chance to be a really good and balanced team, but we have just as good a chance to have him on the bench for half the seasons going forward because he can't play back to back games or something like that. It will be like JO all over again.

8-10 Million a year is all i'd offer him. I know he thinks he deserves more but he needs to realize that life isn't fair. He got injured pretty bad. So you can't blame teams for lowering their offers.

If anything his is the type of contract to put some sort of performance bonus in their for games played.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 11-28-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Has Marc Gasol ever averaged a double double? You guys are just crazy with this Gasol talk. No way is he worth that type of money.
    He did come close the season before, averaging 14.6 pts and 9.3 reb. That's nearing Al Horford 15 and 10 territory. And like Horford, Gasol's attraction isn't that he's a dominant big man, it's that he's an efficient well rounded player who is good but not great at nearly everything a big man should do. It's perhaps a sad commentary on the quality of NBA centers when you realize that that's enough for Horford (and Gasol) to be considered All-Star quality.

I do agree that hype seems to outweigh substance with regards to Gasol. His numbers dip this year should have been troubling, but no one seems to think it's a problem. The Grizz's success and Gasol's excellent run during the playoffs seem to have put those fears to rest.

It's possible that Gasol could get a max offer but I don't think he's worth that. However, it would probably take a max or near max offer to pry him away from the Grizz.

Mood

I'm pretty sure that he would say that, if it was me I would say that teams would regret it as well. With him I don't think that we will be a good team, I think we would be a average team(maybe the 6th or 7th seed in the east). I doubt that If I were the Pacers that I would regert it, dealing with that much money it would just suck to make a mistake that big on a player that is coming off a ACL surgery.
    Why so SERIOUS

I'm surprised that this guy thinks that Rodney Stuckey could go to a different Team as a RFA.

Personally, I wouldn't mind making a run at Rodney Stuckey to have him as our Starting PG. Heck, I'd even do a S&T involving DC to make that happen.
    Yeah, Stuckey doesn't get enough attention in FA talk. He's not a pure point though, and we seem to have enough combo guards. Still, there's no doubting he's a talent.

Another RFA I like is Thad Young, but I don't think we can give him the minutes he'll be wanting.

Reggie Williams wouldn't be a bad addition.

I think Nene should still be the Pacers' #1 target. Unfortunately, he's probably the best FA in this weak market, which means he'll probably get overpaid. I think we'll drop out if the bidding gets too hot.

David West should be a good fit, but his injury and age bug me. My feeling is that West is a bad contract waiting to happen. He would be a nice addition if he can stay healthy though.

Chuck Hayes doesn't get mentioned enough as an affordable PF/C option. I'd take him over Kwame Brown any day. And I think Kwame would be a decent option.

Should it be automatically assumed that FA offers going forward will be smaller than recent years? After all the salaries are supposed to be 50% of BRI. If players ultimately have to get paid less don't they?

We've been talking about Max contracts in the 14 million range, but with the new CBA won't max contracts be less than that?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Ok I am starting to believe the Milsap trade talks now.. I didn't realize that Pritchard was the the GM that offered Milsap a front loaded contract in 2009 that the Jazz matched. Its starting to come full circle and it could be the reason why GHill could be starting this year and not Collison.

Should it be automatically assumed that FA offers going forward will be smaller than recent years? After all the salaries are supposed to be 50% of BRI. If players ultimately have to get paid less don't they?
    Nope. Owners can still spend wildly in free agency. They're just more likely to get their money back through the 10% escrow. Also, the supertax is there to encourage restraint; we'll see how well it works.

In fact, there's speculation that the new stretch provision could encourage even more reckless spending, since it would be easier to waive a player if he doesn't work out.

We've been talking about Max contracts in the 14 million range, but with the new CBA won't max contracts be less than that?
    Not really. The cap is still the same ($58m), and the max is still 25% of the cap for free agents below 7 years of experience. It's true though that on the high end (>10 years experience) the max has been reduced from 35% of cap to 30%.

Edit: starting salary for max contracts will remain about the same, but with fewer years and smaller raises, the total value of a max contract would be less than before.
    Last edited by wintermute; 11-28-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Banned

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsja...z-nba.html.csp

The Indianapolis Star recently reported the Pacers might pursue Jazz forward Paul Millsap once the NBA lockout ends and the 2011-12 free agent market opens for business.

Millsap was Utah's best player during 2010-11, battling through numerous injuries to average a career high 17.3 points during 76 games (all starts). The 26-year-old is still under contract for two more seasons, set to make a combined $13.5 million before he likely enters the prime of his career.

However, The Salt Lake Tribune reported in June that Millsap was on the trade block during the 2011 NBA Draft and was pursued by several teams. One of which was the Pacers, The Star reports.

Making Indy's reported interest even more interesting is a two-year connection that links the Jazz with the Pacers and Portland. Former Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard played a key role in Portland's 2009 attempt to lure Millsap away from Utah with a "toxic" front-loaded restricted free agent offer sheet. The Jazz matched the deal, and many at the time said the small-market franchise wildly overpaid for a reserve 'tweener.

Two years later, Millsap is technically underpaid and could be the centerpiece of a young Utah team attempting to win games and return to the playoffs during a compressed 66-game season that will place an emphasis upon proven players. Millsap knows the Jazz's system, he is a leader on and off the court, and he's shown a willingness to alter his playing style to fit the construction of his team — he temporarily slid down to small forward from power forward during the end of Utah's disappointing 2010-11 season.

Meanwhile, the Pacers have a new director of player of personnel: Pritchard. And the back end of Millsap's deal — $6.7 million this season; $7.2 million next year — makes him an attractive, trusted commodity in an uncertain market.

The Jazz will have many important decisions to make during what is expected to be a chaotic free agency period scheduled to start Dec. 9. Determining Millsap's role and future with Utah could be the biggest.

Utah could keep it simple: replicate 2010-11 by starting Millsap at power forward and Al Jefferson at center, and surround the undersized front-court duo with Devin Harris, C.J. Miles/Raja Bell and Gordon Hayward. That would allow Derrick Favors, Alec Burks and Enes Kanter time to develop, and provide Utah with a reliable, veteran offensive scoring trio of Millsap, Jefferson and Harris to get the team through the initial part of the season. The Jazz could then still choose to trade Millsap before the 2011-12 trade deadline or the time surrounding the 2012 draft if Favors and/or Kanter push their way into the starting lineup. (Favors is much more likely, since Kanter is expected to be a work in progress.)

Millsap's trade value is high now, though, some teams could be needier than normal during free agency, and Utah has at least been open in the past to gauging his market value. Factor in that he will likely ask for a big-time contract extension if he has an All-Star year during 2011-12, and the Millsap question is not going away anytime soon. In many ways, he's the best and most reliable player on Utah's roster. Yet the chances of him remaining with the Jazz after 2012-13 are 50-50, at best, and he's currently the most tradable asset a rebuilding franchise possesses.

Banned

Here are the comments from some of the fan

Brian Skinner 6 minutes ago

Keep Millsap. He earns every penny he makes.
    Flag Like ReplyReply worldwideshorts 55 minutes ago

the problem with the Pacers is that they don't have anyone they are willing to part with that we want. this might need to be a 3 way deal at least or would the Jazz angle to be to free up players salaries they just don't want? not Paul but say Memo or other?

Collison is the best option but they don't have any other PGs. So maybe Collison + 1 for Paul and Devin?

Hibbert is a freak of length so why would they give up on him now? he has been criticized for lack of physiciality but still an enigma worth holding onto considering the match up problems he puts on defenders.

Paul George...why would they part with their best athlete? I'll take George any day if he is available.
    Flag Like ReplyReply termlimitswillsetusfree 1 hour ago

Great teams are not build from Kobes or Lebrons, The are build from Duncans ans Norwinskis and Millsaps. Millsap is a non ego bulldog who gives 100% when his body is at .80%. ITs players like him you have to keep. They win you games. I f I was the Jazz I would demand 2 first round draft picks and if Portland is involved, Wesley Matthiews. Jazz look to the future and keep Paul, for the team and the fans.
    Flag Like ReplyReply Steve Andrus 51 minutes ago in reply to termlimitswillsetusfree

Milsap is too small to defend the post and he can't guard a 3, move him while his value is high, get a good 2 guard and scorer and let Favors develop.
    Flag Like ReplyReply worldwideshorts 1 hour ago in reply to termlimitswillsetusfree

I hate the Lakers more than anybody. But saying that great teams are built from Kobes and Duncan is more defensible I think.

But I agree the great teams need good physical hustle players and excellent role players.
    Flag Like ReplyReply Broox Anderson 2 hours ago

First off, Paul Millsap is only 26 years old. Secondly, he was in now way, shape, or form the Jazz's best player. You think at this level of profession, a reporter would get his facts straight.

For accurate and interesting news and predictions, visit www.PurpleandBlues.com, the world's foremost Utah Jazz fansite!
    Flag Like ReplyReply worldwideshorts 59 minutes ago in reply to Broox Anderson

it is just an opinion. he probably is just evaluating in hindsight the stats but yes you can argue other players who have better fantasy value for sure.
    Flag Like ReplyReply utahmansir84 2 hours ago

Millsap and the GS 1st rounder for Granger
    Flag 1 person liked this. Like ReplyReply worldwideshorts 1 hour ago in reply to utahmansir84

i'm sure Granger is off the table.
    Flag Like ReplyReply Scott Palmer 1 hour ago in reply to utahmansir84

not the GS first rounder, miles and millsap for granger

Interesting that the Jazz beat writer described Millsap as their best player, when Al Jeff technically put up better numbers. FWIW, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz fan
    Collison is the best option but they don't have any other PGs. So maybe Collison + 1 for Paul and Devin?
    I'd do that. Heck, I'd say we'd take on Raja Bell's contract too if that would swing the deal.