Thread: incorrect Polian statement about Harrison

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default incorrect Polian statement about Harrison

From colts.com....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polian, who was directing the Carolina Panthers when Harrison was available in the 1996 draft, loved what he saw in the Syracuse product. He knew then what he saw in a pre-draft workout.

“I was praying that we would get a shot at him, but, of course, we did not,” said Polian. “He had the single best workout I had ever seen by a receiver – absolutely incredible, speed, flexibility, moves, explosion, dexterity, hands, just off the charts. We were blown away by it. I recall going back to the airport and Dom Anile, who was our personnel director here for many years, said to me, ‘Man, we are probably not going to see the likes of that for another five or 10 years.’ Well, he was wrong by five years. I haven’t seen the likes of him for 15 years. He’s a special, special guy.”

http://www.colts.com/news-and-events...edium=facebook

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, Bill, you did have a shot at him. Your Panthers had the 8th pick in the 96 draft and selected the pedestrian Tshimanga Biakabutuka. Harrison wasn't drafted by the Colts until 19th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_NFL_draft

Either Polian is senile, or he's just making stuff up so everyone will bow to his genius. Funny, you thought you wouldn't see another receiver like him for "5 or 10 years", yet you didn't pick him? If you really thought you wouldn't see another receiver like him for "5 or 10 years" then you would have easily picked him, regardless of what your needs were at the time. Instead, you picked a mediocre running back who was only in the league for 6 years. Polian either has a faulty memory, or he is just fudging facts so everyone will think he is a genius who knew Harrison would be great before anyone else. But he didn't because he didn't pick him. If he really did think Harrison was a receiver that only came around every 5 to 10 years (which he was) then he was a fool for not picking him, regardless of what Carolina's needs were at the time.

He also said this crap about wishing he had the opportunity to draft Harrison on his radio show. Someone needs to call him out on his fudging of facts. He's been saying for YEARS that he has never seen a WR have a workout like Harrison, yada yada yada. If he really did think that then he would have drafted him. It's that simple.

I'm not trashing Polian for whiffing on Harrison. 18 teams missed him before we drafted him at 19. But if Polian is going to act like he knew all along that Harrison would be great and was praying that he would get a chance to draft him when in reality he did have a chance and decided instead to draft a mediocre running back, then he deserves to be called out on that distortion of history.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/11/...w-week-11-2011
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-25-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Polian's incorrect statement about Harrison

15 years later, I'd probably make the same flub too.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    15 years later, I'd probably make the same flub too.

This isn't exactly a flub. A flub is not being able to remember the exact spot Harrison was drafted. This OTOH is a complete distortion of what happened. He's acting like he knew from the get-go that Harrison was going to be a once in a decade receiver. Yet despite knowing that Harrison was going to be this great, he didn't draft him? He's tooting his own horn here. If he really knew that Harrison was going to be a receiver that only comes around once every 5 or 10 years then he would have drafted him, regardless of what the team's needs were at the time. If you're that sure of something then you take it. But he took a pedestrian running back over Harrison, so he clearly didn't think that Harrison was going to be as great as he ended up being.

Default Re: incorrect Polian statement about Harrison

He's scared Harrison would cap him if he says otherwise...

He's confusing what some journalists told him after the workout as his opinions now.... He, of course at the time, being the genius that he is, realized these non-football were completely football clueless and had to show them as much by drafting a pedestrian RB who only he could see the greatness in.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't exactly a flub.
    That's what I gathered.

I happened to be driving and caught him say it. He was pouring praise on Harrison and might have gotten carried away. That's about the best excuse I can have for him.

More likely, people around Polian didn't make a big deal of it when he arrived in Indy...and probably for good reason......and let's just say that certain types of people forget their own mistakes very easily...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I could buy that he got carried away if this were a one time thing. But for YEARS he has been saying that Harrison's workout was the best he's ever seen by a WR (I remember him saying it when we released Harrison). If he was as stunned by Harrison's workout as he says then he would have drafted him. If he really thought that he was a "once in every 5 or 10 years" type of WR in 1996 then there is no way he would have picked someone else over him. I think he's really fudged the truth on this as the years have gone by to make himself look smart by claiming that he knew from the beginning that Harrison would be as great as he was when in reality he didn't.

And I'm certainly not faulting him for missing on Harrison as 17 other GM's did the same. But if he's going to distort the truth then it needs to be pointed out.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: