Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skyrim thread....

Default The Skyrim thread....

This game is so epic it needs its own thread so we don't keep clogging up the what game have you recently played thread.

If you have spoilers or possibly directions please be kind and use the "spoil" tag from the top.

Also please post cool story's and any glitches you might find.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Skyrim thread....

I'm taking it slow right now, probably won't jump in head first til thanksgiving break. The thing I both am loving and hating about this game right now as I've sort of touched on with the video games thread is that IMO this game is much harder to navigate than the past couple elder scrolls games whcih would be fine if they gave us a great map, but the map is more eye candy than anything else. It's nto a huge deal and getting lost in the wilderness is certainly leading to some hilrious encounters, so I can't complain too much.

Anyone know if the skeleton key is in this game like it has been in past elder scrolls?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I love this game, but ever since I started wearing this amulet of Mara, the *** kicking Nord warrior dude I travel with (Stenvar) keeps trying to get me to marry him. Awkward... no means no pal!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I rarely call a game perfect. And I would bet I'm less than 10% through this one, but so far, it's as close to perfect as games get.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell me about it.

Anybody, know if there's a skeleton key in this game like there has been in past elder scrolls games that can pick any lock? Also, are there Daedric God quests? I haven't done much online research yet, so curious if anyone has bumped into either of those things. I'm sort of taking it slow with Skyrim right now, but will like jump in head first over Thanksgiving, just playing it at bits and pieces right now which is why I'm level 12.
    Yes there are. The dog quest is one of them. Azura's star is back, but it's freaking hard, so I'll have to come back to that. Just finished Dagon quest, though it starts out as a quest from an NPC first.

Not sure how many others, but I too want a skeleton key.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Up to level 31. Still feel like I haven't done anything! Still so many quests that are active for me. I completed about 5 today. What a wonderful problem to have. The quests are more varied this time around, so I don't feel three has been much repetition.

Have some pretty good weaponry now. I can make glass armor, but haven't found any malachite anywhere! I don't want to look up where I can get some, but I'm dying to have my glass armor set.

Does anyone have an enchantment that offers good protection against magic? Magic seems to be my kryptonite. I keep getting stronger, but mages take me out like I'm nothing. Pretty frustrating.

Now really free Lance!

I'm pretty sure there are resist-magic enchants.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Yep, there are. It's under the defensive spell catgeory I forget what it's called, but I think it's the same one that you can use to create light and stuff like that, but i would need to do some more research. I really am looking forward to Thanksgiving so I can have a serious session with this game. zright now, all I have time for is dungeon diving for an hour and then having to do something els.e

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I started the "First Lessons" quest at the College of Winterhold when I first started. When I go back now, I am supposed to listen to Tolfdir, but I can't get him to cast the spell on me to demonstrate the ward. It's so frustrating and I'm not sure how to get passed it. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    I started the "First Lessons" quest at the College of Winterhold when I first started. When I go back now, I am supposed to listen to Tolfdir, but I can't get him to cast the spell on me to demonstrate the ward. It's so frustrating and I'm not sure how to get passed it. Any suggestions?
    You have to stand on a small circle. It gets highlighted if you walk around. Once you stand on it, it should start.

Now really free Lance!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

I feel like I cheesed the game too much as an sneaky archer. It's no challenge at all on master difficulty. Enemies are one shot and bosses take like 4 or 5, but they still never get anywhere close to me with all the stuns from the sneak perks. I am going to reroll as a conjuror / illusionist I think.

Basically I'm a tank.

I have steel plated everything including my armor being steel plated armor of health.

I have an ebony battle axe that does 73 points of damage (doubled because of my perks) and a glass war hammer of frosting that does 78.

I can't sneak up on anyone but I've gotten to the point now in the caves that I don't even try anymore. I pretty much just walk in and try and draw them all out to me.

I've been using the bow a little more and have gotten pretty decent with it, still not great at hitting moving targets but I'm working on it.

Since my debacle with fallout 3 (I played the main story straight through) I have made it a point to do tons of side storys and had actually fogotten what the main quest was, now I'm back on track for it.

Overall this is a fun game. Not perfect but as far as rpg's go it's pretty close.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Yeah I'd be playing this more if I didn't have Modern Warfare 3 to be playing.

Oblivion was awesome and I had a ton of hours logged into that, those were back in the days there weren't many 360 games worth playing, (hard to imagine that now, though) but I'm not that far but the game is definitely kick ***.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I really love exploring the world and uncovering the different storylines, but none of the fight mechanics feel very compelling to me. Using the shield a lot allows me to kind of superimpose a more interesting defense-first fighting style onto the game, but at the end of the day I can always chop crap up with just a few swings of my sword if I want.

I'm fiddling around and trying to come up with a fighting style that's limited in raw power but still engaging mechanically. The mana-to-stamina perk in the Restoration tree seems like it could make a healer-melee style somewhat interesting, but would the ever-ready healing take all the risk out of combat?

Destruction in one hand and melee in the other would probably be limited enough, but there's not really any synergy between the two styles.

The necromancer stuff looks fun, but after the dead are raised it seems like it'd just be more whack-whack-whack monotony with the bound swords. I wish there was a necromancer playstyle where you raised large amounts of very feeble corpses continually and tried overwhelming enemies instead of overpowering them. There's a necromancer boss who fights somewhat like that and it really looked like fun.

Ultimately if I can't think of a way to make the game interesting to me on a fight-by-fight basis then I really doubt I'll continue with it, which is too bad because I find the world and the story fascinating.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    You have to stand on a small circle. It gets highlighted if you walk around. Once you stand on it, it should start.
    I have tried that. It doesn't work.

Has anyone noticed how much brighter the first dungeon in Helgen is compared to all the other ones you go to? I know why it's like that, but I wish they were all like that. Having some dark dungeons is ok, but one of my classic elder scrolls complaints is that its so hard to see things in the corners and it really hurts my play style to have to carry around a torch. I need to get one of those lumination spells. Those are clutch. Dark dungeon after dark dungeon is getting a bit tedious, clear a room, equip torch to search, rinse and repeat. Might try to get into some more open world stuff for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Has anyone noticed how much brighter the first dungeon in Helgen is compared to all the other ones you go to? I know why it's like that, but I wish they were all like that. Having some dark dungeons is ok, but one of my classic elder scrolls complaints is that its so hard to see things in the corners and it really hurts my play style to have to carry around a torch. I need to get one of those lumination spells. Those are clutch. Dark dungeon after dark dungeon is getting a bit tedious, clear a room, equip torch to search, rinse and repeat. Might try to get into some more open world stuff for a while.
    I search every nook and cranny. I couldn't take the the deep dark and not seeing, so I finally caved and bought a Candlelight spell. A glowing ball floats above you for about 30 seconds. Very handy after you've cleared nearby enemies.

The skeleton key returns:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I planned to complete more quests since I have so many active, but I keep getting sidetracked. Found a mine, so I ended up looking for more. I did find a malachite mine, so glass armor here I come!

Now really free Lance!

I need something that lasts longer than 30 seconds. (TWSS)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    After looking around on YouTube, many players are having this same problem. I just want to learn some magic. **** glitches.

Gah, I think the Blood on the Ice quest is bugged for me. I had no problems with the Tolfdir quest at all though.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Gah, I think the Blood on the Ice quest is bugged for me. I had no problems with the Tolfdir quest at all though.
    Same here. I can't examine the murder site/grave. There is an arrow there but I've done everything but urinate on the dang thing & I can't get it to do anything.

Remember folks, there always a few quests in Skyrim that don't work for anyone remember to use that google to find out and then wait patiently for the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Same here. I can't examine the murder site/grave. There is an arrow there but I've done everything but urinate on the dang thing & I can't get it to do anything.
    I think you are at the point where you need to follow the blood trail. I'm past that part.

*SPOILER WARNING*

Spoiler Spoiler:

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Been doing the Theives Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests.

My guy is slowly morphing from a super nice guy to a nice guy during the day and something evil at night.

Starting to pick pockets for the first time ever (never did that in Morrowind/Oblivion), but I always sneak into people's homes and steal anything of value.

Now really free Lance!

http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145...lt-into-skyrim

Holy smokes if the PC modders can pick that up and run with it!