Thread: Dungy believes Colts might draft Luck and trade him

Default Dungy believes Colts might draft Luck and trade him

At least he clarified it this time compared to last month

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...content_stream

Dungy believes Colts might draft Luck -- and trade him

If the Colts end up with the top pick in April's draft, Tony Dungy has a plan for his former team.

"I think they draft (Stanford quarterback) Andrew Luck and then I think they see how Peyton Manning is doing," Dungy told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Friday.

"If Peyton comes back in the fall ... and is healthy, and looks like he wants to play three or four more years, and has that velocity on the ball, and they get a clean report from the doctors -- then I think you think about trading Andrew Luck.

"You get that classic quarterback and then you deal from strength."

A strength that's in question for the Indianapolis Colts.

The future of Peyton Manning is hazy, obscured by questions about his durability, age and place on a team that has very little to offer in his absence.

Would this franchise pass on Luck -- or trade him away -- for a few more seasons under Manning's direction?

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Default Re: Dungy believes Colts might draft Luck and trade him

Doesn't make much sense to trade Luck after the draft. Dungy talks about "if Peyton comes back healthy in the fall..." If we trade Luck in the fall, we won't have a chance to pick the players we want in the draft via a package of picks. We'd have to trade for a selection of already drafted players and future picks. Why wouldn't the Polians want to pick their own guys? (I can think of a reason or two cough Gonzo Ugoh Donald Brown Jerry Hughes cough) If we trade Luck, that means we need to draft championship-caliber talent for Peyton's last few years. The sooner they get to Indy, learn the system, participate in mini-camps, etc. the better. Getting them in August doesn't do much good.

Luck's traded on draft night or he's a Colt for 10+ years. I don't see any other option...

Unless we win 3 games between now and January.

Last edited by CooperManning; 11-18-2011 at 09:03 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dungy's whole premise is faulty. We aren't going to be able to wait and see how Peyton is in the fall. The decision to pick up Manning's contract has to be made in early March which consequently means the Luck decision will be made at that time too.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If they're going to make a trade with someone, do it with the Browns.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 11-18-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

I have a hunch at least one team is going to make a move like the Saints for Ricky Williams or the Vikings for Herschel Walker. I think if a team offers enough you make the move.

Imagine if they trade Luck and 3 games into the season Peyton gets hit and re-injures that neck. Not a good scenario. You may be watching Curtis Painter for a decade.

Even if that doesn't happen, best case, Peyton only has a handful of years left and he is getting older. What do you do then?

It's tough because Peyton wants to come back yet that's really not in the Colts' best interest and is probably not in Peyton's best interest either. He's accomplished it all. Under these circumstances, why risk a debilitating injury late in your career that might ruin the rest of your life?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine if they trade Luck and 3 games into the season Peyton gets hit and re-injures that neck. Not a good scenario. You may be watching Curtis Painter for a decade.

Even if that doesn't happen, best case, Peyton only has a handful of years left and he is getting older. What do you do then?

It's tough because Peyton wants to come back yet that's really not in the Colts' best interest and is probably not in Peyton's best interest either. He's accomplished it all. Under these circumstances, why risk a debilitating injury late in your career that might ruin the rest of your life?
    Which is why I think they'll keep Luck and let Manning go.

Mood

If they trade Luck after drafting him we had better get a crapload of good draft picks plus a young impact player on the defensive side. If they decide to trade Peyton they had better get a boatload in return as well. We have needs at a lot of positions on both sides of the ball and trading either one could fill some of those gaps with young talent.

I believe Luck will end up in Denver. Broncos will offer Von Miller and lot of draft picks for Luck. Its the only way they will be able to get rid of Tebow quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    I believe Luck will end up in Denver. Broncos will offer Von Miller and lot of draft picks for Luck. Its the only way they will be able to get rid of Tebow quickly.
    You really think Irsay would want to deal with Elway about a future franchise QB?!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We trade Luck to Denver, we find out later that Manning really isn't better, we end up with Tebow.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

The best move Polian ever made was to take Manning. You think he's going to pass on Luck and a chance to make himself look like a genius again when his popularity has been falling? I think Bill's ego says no way. Count on Luck.

I'm sorry, but Dungy seems to be a horrible analyst.

Waiting till the Colts are into the season to possibly trade Luck doesn't help the Colts that year! Just plain stupid.

I do think (and my opinion keeps changing) that Luck has too much hype. The Colts should trade him for an up and coming player and picks. I don't think picks alone can help.

Do any of the teams that could possibly trade up for Luck and players the Colts could use, a DT, CB, S, etc?

Even trading down and taking RGIII sounds like a great idea. The kid is smart and and shown tremendous growth. Having a mobile QB after Manning seems to be a good idea.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Matt Barkley will be the best QB from this class love his decision making and his ability to get rid of the ball under pressure and play under pressure.

I would try to get Barkley while getting as many draft picks as possible. JMO probably wrong in the long run don't really trust by ability to judge talent in football as I do in basketball.

But Barkley is leading a team that had 8 starters transfer after the NCAA sanctions and putting up a Heisman like campaign and has showed character this year IMO I like his complete QB package for the NFL.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 11-24-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dunno about him being better than Luck, but he's pretty good. He'd be #1 QB in any other drafts but a handfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Even trading down and taking RGIII sounds like a great idea. The kid is smart and and shown tremendous growth. Having a mobile QB after Manning seems to be a good idea.
    RGIII has being rising as a prospect. A lot of people say he is the second best QB prospect behind Andrew Luck.

I think that a mobile QB is going to be almost a must. We are seeing more and more QBs who can run for the first. Guys like Big Ben, Aaron Rogers, and Cam Newton. I think this is what makes Rogers and the Packers even tougher is that he can run. It use to be that mobility in a QB did not really matter but I think before long it will be a must.