Thread: The Lesson Today Is....

Default The Lesson Today Is....

Defense wins championships. Trying to rely on offense pits you against two opponents and those odds will catch up to you eventually,

You are not only playing against the other team but yourself.

I think there are parallels between the Colts and the Pacers in this regard. That is why I am happy to see the Pacers' emphassis on defense this season. Game in and game out the offense isn't always going to be there either thru what the other team is doing, your own team being out of sync, or both. Defense is something that can be consistent.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Default Re: The Lesson Today Is....

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing watching the game. But I do love to watch the Colts when their O is clicking.

If they would just get some decent D they could win the championship. To me it's kind of like the Kings. First-round offensive team that learned to play defense a little bit and now they've been a top team for 3 years.

I think the same thing could happen for the Colts if their D became at least all right. Hopefully with better results than the Kings have had thusfar.

Default SHUT YOUR EYES COLTS FANS

Maybe a complete overhaul would help.

Keep Peyton, Marvin, Freeney, Doss, and Thornton. Totally scrap the team and start over. Start with defense. Give Peyton some guys to throw to and let him learn to run. At least we'd have a good defense. Just start over I say.

Southside_Pacer

There's a few guys on the defensive side of the ball that are keepers. I'm really glad that we were able to draft Mike Doss in the 2nd round as I think he'll be a great player once he gets some NFL experience. He has a hard hitting attitude that our defense really needed. Thorton proved to be great this season, and I like him better than Mike Peterson.

I'm confident once Dungy gets some of his players buying totally into his defensive schemes, we'll be alright.

And I do echo Carlisle totally when he says defense right because that will always be more of a constant than offense. If the shots don't fall, we can still be in games despite that fact. Typically good defense leads to offensive intensity.

Colts defense is simply not good enough

But I really think the Coilts lost this game back in November. If they beat the Pat's then and have home field today, the Colts win today.

So Pacers defense is the key but also having the homecourt advantage is very important also.

PHJIndy

IMO the five turnovers lost the game today. The defense bent but only allowed one touchdown.

IMO the five turnovers lost the game today. The defense bent but only allowed one touchdown.
    I can buy that. But if the game is played in the Dome, do you think for one second the turnovers occur.

Colt's defense was Ok today, but overall their defense is not good enough

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How far off the *&^#%&*@# receivers were our defenders playing??? Fer crying out loud there was NO pressure on Brady and still the receivers were 5 yards open when the got the ball. It did get better in the 2nd half but by then it was pretty well too late to slow the train. I'll say this tho, 6 TO's and the Colts still had a chance to win it, so they must have been doing something right.

Now I don't generally dog the stripes but...DAMN owr receivers were being held all day long (what did the TV peeps have to say I couldn't hear the sound for all the ^*#%$ chattering going on at the party). How did they justify overturning Brady's "fumble" I didn' t think it was clear at all that he still had possesion when his knee hit the ground.

Just curious....

(I wanna new Defensive coordinator...that can't be Dungies style of defense I saw).
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

How did they justify overturning Brady's "fumble" I didn' t think it was clear at all that he still had possesion when his knee hit the ground.

Just curious....
    The zebra's did think that they had a good enough view of his knee and the ball to declare he still had possession when his knee touched.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How far off the *&^#%&*@# receivers were our defenders playing??? Fer crying out loud there was NO pressure on Brady and still the receivers were 5 yards open when the got the ball. It did get better in the 2nd half but by then it was pretty well too late to slow the train. I'll say this tho, 6 TO's and the Colts still had a chance to win it, so they must have been doing something right.

Now I don't generally dog the stripes but...DAMN owr receivers were being held all day long (what did the TV peeps have to say I couldn't hear the sound for all the ^*#%$ chattering going on at the party). How did they justify overturning Brady's "fumble" I didn' t think it was clear at all that he still had possesion when his knee hit the ground.

Just curious....

(I wanna new Defensive coordinator...that can't be Dungies style of defense I saw).
    I think that not being used to playing under those conditions led to the loose coverage offered by our DBs. They simply weren't confident enough to play in tight under the slippery conditions.

It gets back to what Buck said, home field advantage and I think we probably would have taken this game and gone on to the the Super Bowl. In the Dome, there is no way Peyton throws for 4 interceptions, especially the bad pass that missed a wide open Pollard in the end zone. Actually, I'd go further than that. If the weather through the first 3 quarters would have even equalled the weather in Q4, I think the outcome may have been different.

As far as Brady's fumble, or lack thereof, I am also an avid Colts fan, and once I saw the replay, I never thought there was a doubt. When Brady's knee touched, his body was totally in a face down position to the ground. The ball wasn't pried loose until the defender began turning Brady.

I don't think this team needs to be blown apart as some suggest. There are certainly a lot more keepers on this team than just 4-5 players. But there is room for improvement on both sides of the ball. And above all next year, we MUST get home field advantage.

-snip-

I don't think this team needs to be blown apart as some suggest. There are certainly a lot more keepers on this team than just 4-5 players. But there is room for improvement on both sides of the ball. And above all next year, we MUST get home field advantage.
    I think that team management is going to have to commit to defense even at the expense of the offense. I just think they have too much cap money tied up on one side of the ball and I think it is unneccessary and even harmful of long term goals.

The Colts need some impact players on the defense.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

If Indy could get a linebacker who can dominate from there and a top cover DB it would help alot - Freeney's already there for your pass rusher.

Yesterday's game was tough. The Patrirots were allowed to grab and hold Colt receivers all day. BTW - I consider bad officiating to have much more of an impact in football where you only get 8-9 possessions (and in baseball where runs are so hard to come by) than in basketball where you get 100.

But the Colts made enough screw-ups that they don't need to really consider the refs.

I thought the field had a lot to do with the Colt offense - more than the defense (which we all knew sucked anyway). The Colts passing game is all about sharp cuts and precision - especially Marvin. That was all gone yesterday. You can't make sharp cuts on a soft field - if you do you fall down and the ball's up for grabs (which Manning was doing anyway).

Deep playoff run though and the team will learn some things. Hopefully they can go deeper next year.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire