Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

  1. #1

    Default Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    I get not wanting to throw the coach under the bus when the team sucks(although why anyone thinks Bill is above this is beyond me) but the need to excessively compliment this guy to the press is beyond me. I like to think the rat ******* has dementia or something because at least that makes sense.

    Otherwise? He's just a rat *******

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-winless-colts

    Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts
    By Dan Hanzus NFL.com



    The Colts have plummeted to the bottom of the NFL food chain in 2011, and it's inevitable souls will be held responsible for the free fall at season's end.

    Indianapolis' 0-9 record indicates a gross breakdown in nearly all levels of the operation, from the players, to the coaches to the front office.







    Colts coach Jim Caldwell is on the front line of the mess, which makes him an obvious target. But Colts vice chairman Bill Polian offered an interesting -- some would say odd -- defense of the coach in a conversation with NFL Network's Albert Breer this week.

    "I think he's done a better job than he did in the Super Bowl year," Polian said. "He didn't have the adversity that year that he had last year and this year. Last year's team wasn't a playoff team, and he not only got it there, but came close to advancing. He's done a magnificent job dealing with all the problems."

    We're not entirely sure what Polian's getting at here. Does he honestly believe Caldwell has gotten the most out of this team? We'd think not, on account of the whole zero-winning-percentage thing. Was it really Caldwell's scheming and ingenuity -- and not the presence of Peyton Manning -- that willed the 2010 Colts into the playoffs?

    Of course, Polian is in a tough spot himself. It's never productive to throw your coach under the bus. That said, when you say your coach is doing a bang-up job on an 0-9 team, the spotlight of shame naturally swings to those that assembled the team ... namely Bill Polian and his son, vice president and general manager Chris Polian.

    Perhaps the safest move for the Polians right now is to just lay low. Stay in a motel, grow beards, open a streaming NetFlix account and catch up on "Friday Night Lights." Ride this thing out like the natural disaster it is and hope you live to tell the tale.

  2. #2
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Caldwell is just Bill's puppet anyway so really he's just avoiding throwing himself under the bus. Bill is above and beyond taking blame.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Good point I mean we shouldn't be surprised he said this but really every time he opens his mouth he further embarrasses the Colts in the process(as if their play on the field hasn't been bad enough)

    At least the national media will take him to task.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    It's official: Bill is a crackhead.

  6. #5
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point I mean we shouldn't be surprised he said this but really every time he opens his mouth he further embarrasses the Colts in the process(as if their play on the field hasn't been bad enough)

    At least the national media will take him to task.
    I've wanted him gone for a long time........if only Irsay had the balls.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's official: Bill is a crackhead.
    I have a higher opinion of a crackhead than I do of Polian right now.

  9. #7
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,103

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a higher opinion of a crackhead than I do of Polian right now.
    Really? Man, I thought you really liked him. You would never tell you hated him by your incessant posting on the subject.


    ...that said, for once, I agree. Those comments would not be made by a senile person.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    You mean these comments would be made by a senile person.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,519

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    All I have to say is that if Polian thinks that Caldwell has gotten a lot out of this team (which could be true for all I know) what does that say about Polian's efforts to build the Colts?

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  15. #10

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I have to say is that if Polian thinks that Caldwell has gotten a lot out of this team (which could be true for all I know) what does that say about Polian's efforts to build the Colts?
    I like to think Bill is in Panic mode here and realizes his days are numbered(a girl can dream) so he's saying anything to save face except it makes him look worse. He's too arrogant to realize it.

    If he were smart he would say as little about Caldwell as possible. Look at the Dolphins at how they are handling Sparano right now.

  16. #11
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,103

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean these comments would be made by a senile person.
    No, I mean they are so stupid even a senile person would think better of saying them.

  17. #12
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Polian just can't help himself can he? Open mouth, insert foot here. The author is right. In this situation, just keep quiet.

    There's not point in trying to defend anybody when you're 0 - 9; let alone defend Caldwell's coaching the last two years. Did he forget the on-side kick? What about the great clock management/TO in the Jets playoff loss last year?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,300

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    If Caldwell is still the coach next year, major fail on management.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  20. #14

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    [QUOTE=Sparhawk;1295589]If Caldwell is still the coach next year, major fail on management.[/QUOTE]

    That ship has sailed..

  21. #15
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I have to say is that if Polian thinks that Caldwell has gotten a lot out of this team (which could be true for all I know) what does that say about Polian's efforts to build the Colts?
    Exactly. If the problem is not Caldwell, then, logically, it's got to be Polian.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  23. #16

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Wouldn't this be strong evidence that the team is positioned exactly where Polian wants it to be, at least with regard to the 2012 NFL draft?

  24. #17
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,103

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't this be strong evidence that the team is positioned exactly where Polian wants it to be, at least with regard to the 2012 NFL draft?
    See, that's the impossible question to answer, and the natural counter argument to all of this. I honestly think Polian is smart enough to know this season is a wasteland and that Andrew Luck is an extremely attainable asset that they need to go for. Look, even if he truly believes Manning can come back at 100% and play 3+ more years (which I don't think he does), Luck is the best draft asset in a decade+. You get him, you have leverage. You get the #2 pick, suddenly, not so much. As much as I hate to say it, losing makes a TON more long term sense than winning meaningless games in a lost season.

  25. #18

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't this be strong evidence that the team is positioned exactly where Polian wants it to be, at least with regard to the 2012 NFL draft?

    For conspiracy theorists sure and if Polian could tank a season logistically yes he would do so.

    However there are way too many variables involved to effectively pull something like this off. I mean there's a reason why there's only been 1 team to go 0-16.

    But how can you prove that they are purposely being incompetent?

  26. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,103

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But how can you prove that they are purposely being incompetent?
    You can't. Isn't that the whole point?

  27. #20

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't. Isn't that the whole point?
    Yes I was just responding to Slick Pinkham apparently all Pats fans find it impossible that this team is really this awful without Manning around.

  28. #21
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See, that's the impossible question to answer, and the natural counter argument to all of this. I honestly think Polian is smart enough to know this season is a wasteland and that Andrew Luck is an extremely attainable asset that they need to go for. Look, even if he truly believes Manning can come back at 100% and play 3+ more years (which I don't think he does), Luck is the best draft asset in a decade+. You get him, you have leverage. You get the #2 pick, suddenly, not so much. As much as I hate to say it, losing makes a TON more long term sense than winning meaningless games in a lost season.

    First off you'd need to explain a few things that would allow someone to be this type of 'crazy like a fox' manager that could pull this off.

    How would Polian know when Luck was going to declare for the draft? He'd need inside knowledge, and even then there's no guarantee a kid would do what he says he would. Plus, he'd need to have projected Luck early on is who he wants to plot out a tanking course for the season that will be Luck's last college season. And he'd need to be prepared to throw Manning under the bus because it's hard to see Polian knowing Manning would be unavailable the season he needs to tank.

    Why would Polian want to tank the very year the SB is to be held at home? I'd think that would be the year he's pulling out all the stops to give Peyton and the team at a real sporting coup.

    How could Polian have known that Peyton was going to miss all or a majority of the season back when he would've needed to fast track his evil genius plan? Would Polian have really made his preparations to tank this season even with Manning expected to play and the SB at the Luke?

    If the Colts are tanking why is it happening with the same unaddressed problems as in the past... A too small defense playing a scheme that is tailor made to funnel teams into the perfect offense to compete with the Colts (ball control and keep Manning on the bench)? ST's that are weak. Weakness at the backup QB spot. Weak coaching. Those things don't sound like a plan that culminates in a tanked season... they sound like inept management. Or management that is too arrogant to admit to a changing landscape that pundits and fans see but would question the manager's perceived greatness if he appeared moved by the fans and media.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  30. #22

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts
    That's like complimenting Jeffrey Dahmer on his culinary choices.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  32. #23
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,103

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First off you'd need to explain a few things that would allow someone to be this type of 'crazy like a fox' manager that could pull this off.

    How would Polian know when Luck was going to declare for the draft? He'd need inside knowledge, and even then there's no guarantee a kid would do what he says he would. Plus, he'd need to have projected Luck early on is who he wants to plot out a tanking course for the season that will be Luck's last college season. And he'd need to be prepared to throw Manning under the bus because it's hard to see Polian knowing Manning would be unavailable the season he needs to tank.

    Why would Polian want to tank the very year the SB is to be held at home? I'd think that would be the year he's pulling out all the stops to give Peyton and the team at a real sporting coup.

    How could Polian have known that Peyton was going to miss all or a majority of the season back when he would've needed to fast track his evil genius plan? Would Polian have really made his preparations to tank this season even with Manning expected to play and the SB at the Luke?

    If the Colts are tanking why is it happening with the same unaddressed problems as in the past... A too small defense playing a scheme that is tailor made to funnel teams into the perfect offense to compete with the Colts (ball control and keep Manning on the bench)? ST's that are weak. Weakness at the backup QB spot. Weak coaching. Those things don't sound like a plan that culminates in a tanked season... they sound like inept management. Or management that is too arrogant to admit to a changing landscape that pundits and fans see but would question the manager's perceived greatness if he appeared moved by the fans and media.
    You misunderstood what I was saying entirely. I didn't say this was a premeditated decision. He didn't scheme this tanking strategy up a year ago or before the season. Once Manning went down and the team looked hapless out of the gate and started out 0-4, 0-5, I'm sure that's when he seriously started entertaining the thoughts of just going for Luck. How does he know Luck will come out? Well, he doesn't, but Luck wanted to play with his buddies and graduate college. He will have done that after this year.

  33. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You misunderstood what I was saying entirely. I didn't say this was a premeditated decision. He didn't scheme this tanking strategy up a year ago or before the season. Once Manning went down and the team looked hapless out of the gate and started out 0-4, 0-5, I'm sure that's when he seriously started entertaining the thoughts of just going for Luck. How does he know Luck will come out? Well, he doesn't, but Luck wanted to play with his buddies and graduate college. He will have done that after this year.
    You're correct, I misread you. I thought you meant Polian circled 2011-2012 on his calendar to make sure he had one of his worst Indy teams in place to vault them to the top of the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

    So if you're saying once Manning was out and the team already lost 4 or 5 games then he decided the tank was on then that is different. But it also means he absolutely did a horrible job setting this team up for this season... and when the SB was in Indy. tsk tsk tsk...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  34. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Bill Polian compliments work Caldwell has done with winless Colts

    You guys don't understand, BP is saying that Jim has done a good job sucking for Luck

Similar Threads

  1. Harrison, Sanders, Freeney could miss start of Colts camp
    By Moses in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM
  2. Could someone with an Insider subscription get.....
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 07:25 PM
  3. Harrison coverage on Pacers.com
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •