Thread: Jeff Saturday called for team meeting.

Default Jeff Saturday called for team meeting.

So why is Jim Caldwell our coach at this point?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...over-09-record

Colts' frustration leads to team meeting over 0-9 record

INDIANAPOLIS -- Enough was enough for Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday.

Saturday called the team together Monday, a day after the Colts dropped to 0-9 for the first time since 1997 with a 31-7 loss to the Atlanta Falcons -- their worst start since going 0-10 in 1997. It's a desperate bunch headed into Sunday's home game against Jacksonville (2-6).
    "I felt like it needed to be said and I said it," Saturday said Friday. "We just need to play better as a team, we need to get wins and ultimately that's what it was about."

Saturday wouldn't go into detail about his message to the team, which had been described as a stern talk.

"He did what a veteran should do," receiver Reggie Wayne said. "He steps up and he puts his two cents in and he did a great job of that. I think everybody understood where he was coming from and I think we all took it personally and we should."

Saturday's message comes down to staying focused on playing the game.

"He didn't have to yell, he didn't have to scream or sound like a macho man or Randy Savage," Wayne said. "Play football, nothing else. Love football, nothing else. Be a man, nothing else."

Having these meetings isn't all that new, though. Saturday said the fashion in which he did it on Monday was simply because of the current, dismal circumstances. The Colts have struggled without Peyton Manning as the quarterback recovers from neck surgery.

"We all kind of have an open policy as far as addressing the team," Saturday said. "It's just not something that has to happen very often, but then again, we haven't been in this position very often."

Wayne said he's even stepped up to the plate to talk before.

"Guys talk all the time," Wayne said. "You don't need coaches to always be the ones to say the words. Sometimes you can tell the coach to take a seat. I think everybody will listen better coming from a player than coming from a coach. Sometimes you need that."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Jeff Saturday called for team meeting.

Jeff Saturday impresses me more and more every year. This guy is playing has a** off this year and deserves better effort and execution from his teammates. He is a true professional.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its nice to see him stepping up since we have a head coach that seems to do nothing of the sort. What I would give to be a fly on the wall during that meeting...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Yeah that pep talk failed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Remember, it was Manning who had to calm the team down after our management decided to quit and not go for the perfect season. The players didn't want to hear any crap from Polian and Caldwell. So Saturday doing this is no surprise.

Going with a "poor man's Dungy" was really the worst decision imaginable. Regardless of what you thought about Dungy's coaching, he was a guy who the players loved and would take a bullet for. Every player seemed to take pride in playing for Tony Dungy and they wanted to win for him. Clearly the players don't have that same sentiment with Caldwell. So what we're left with is an uninspired un-animated bad coach.

And as calm as Dungy was, he at least showed passion on the sidelines. There were several times where Dungy would look heated and he'd even yell a little some. But you don't seem to get any of that with Caldwell.

The bottom line is, Dungy was a unique character. Trying to follow Dungy with Dungy-lite was just a disastrous move on all levels. We needed a completely different change in philosophy and attitude. Why we essentially let Dungy pick our next coach, a guy who was a "quarterbacks coach" and lousy college coach, is a move I'll never understand. And seriously, what did he even do here as "quarterbacks coach"? Stand around and watch Peyton throw the football? Everything Manning knows was picked up through his work with Moore.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-13-2011 at 06:27 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Might as well name Jeff Saturday the head coach instead of a player for the remainder of the season.

There's a carousel of very good coordinators/former coaches who the Colts should seriously consider and firing Jim Caldwell.

That guy is a bum. Never liked him.

I like Romeo Crennel to be their next head coach.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might as well name Jeff Saturday the head coach instead of a player for the remainder of the season.

There's a carousel of very good coordinators/former coaches who the Colts should seriously consider and firing Jim Caldwell.

That guy is a bum. Never liked him.

I like Romeo Crennel to be their next head coach.
    You do remember Crennel's unsuccessful stint as the coach of the Browns right?

As a Defensive Coordinator sure but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do remember Crennel's unsuccessful stint as the coach of the Browns right?

As a Defensive Coordinator sure but that's about it.
    Hmm....maybe. I still like Crennel. He has a good defensive mindset.

I like Jeff Fisher, but I don't know if he'll want to coach again. Especially a team that may very well finish 0-16.

I like Brian Billick too.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Maybe when Jeff Saturday called for a team meeting he got the wrong number....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Why would they fire Jim Caldwell and wreck the tanking season? Isn't it better to go and get a big name with Andrew Luck attached?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

There's no reason to fire Caldwell now. Let him coach these final 6 losses.

Then fire just about anyone who remotely had anything to do with this debacle.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: