Thread: Jim Caldwell used to work at Penn State could he be implicated?

Default Jim Caldwell used to work at Penn State could he be implicated?

I'm sure you've heard about the Penn State scandal *shudder*

Anyways on the local news they made a reference to this and obviously this will only get worse before it gets better(although hard to believe it could get worse)

I mean obviously this is a coverup of epic proportions I can only imagine how far extending this is...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jim Caldwell used to work at Penn State could he be implicated?

Caldwell was hired to coach Wake Forest in 1993. The first allegations that came to light were over 5 years later. Something could have happened before, but if it did, it's not known about yet.

He was with Penn State in 1986-1992 with Sandusky I have a hard time believing this started back in 1998. He was with Penn State for decades(Sandusky) I can only imagine his victims probably go into the hundreds.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe so, but the only KNOWN allegations are AFTER Caldwell was gone from Penn State. Suggesting that Caldwell saw or knew about Sandusky's problem simply because he was there at the same time as the creep is either irresponsible or just plain wishful thinking on your part.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joseph McCarthy would be proud of this witch hunt.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe so, but the only KNOWN allegations are AFTER Caldwell was gone from Penn State. Suggesting that Caldwell saw or knew about Sandusky's problem simply because he was there at the same time as the creep is either irresponsible or just plain wishful thinking on your part.
    Wishful thinking? Really? I think Caldwell is a crap coach who should've never been hired by the Colts but that's about the extent of my disdain for the man.

The last thing I want is the Colts to be dragged into this. But you best believe that more people will start to come out now look how quickly this has all unraveled in the past 48 hours.. you really think that former employees who worked along with this man aren't going to be asked about him and what they might have known(or not known)? In today's media?

Yeah sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Joseph McCarthy would be proud of this witch hunt.
    There are actual "witches" here though. Granted, nobody should suggest Caldwell is one of them. The grand jury transcript does however discuss 8 victims, at least 3 or 4 eyewitnesses, and about a half a dozen other people with actual knowledge of the attacks who all did nothing, or next-to-nothing.

Given the brazenness of his actions- he walked around holding hands with the boys, openly stayed in hotels with them, etc., we can guess that the number of actual people who could have done something and did nothing would number at least in the dozens, and the number of victims in the many dozens if not hundreds.

The degree of irresponsibility is staggering. Some witnesses (janitors who saw it) claim they feared for their jobs if they blew the whistle on this. Others, like the graduate assistant, apparently lacked the courage or also feared for the reputation of the school and the program. It seems to have been an overriding concern: protect the reputation of the school, even if it means we ignore the actions of a child rapist.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

I haven't been following this closely but the allegations are so over the top that it makes me think there's something missing here. How could he be so brave and nobody say anything or do anything? That doesn't make sense without more to the story. Even if you'd say that nobody did anything because they were worried about the reputation of the team and university... wouldn't they get rid of this guy for one trumped up reason or another (immediately at the time) before he got caught? Even if they had to pay him money to go away and 'resign'.... Why would they keep him around if they were worried about their reputation??

I could understand the angle they wouldn't want the story to break so didn't act properly in going to the authorities... I don't agree with that action (or inaction) but understand that argument. But that doesn't explain allowing him to continue on with him being so obvious with what was happening. That's where the disconnect is for me... Has this been explained and I've missed it?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Bball, he was actually forced to retire in 1999 after a 1998 fondling charge.

Unfortunately with retirement apparently comes benefits: access to University facilities, tickets to football games, etc. This gave him means to impress kids and even a spot to take his victims.

Three years after his retirement was when the rape was reported to Joe Pa. Apparently the totality of the University response was to "ask" him to not bring kids around anymore.

So technically he wasn't working for the university anymore, but that was a lot less than "getting rid of the guy".

As for not actually doing anything about him-- it just seems like a lack of personal responsibility and integrity of probably a dozen or more adults who should have known better and who didn't want to be bothered by the trouble of coming forward. So infuriating...

Do we honestly believe this just started in 1996 or whatever? C'mon now.

That being said, I'm not out to hunt down anyone from before that date. As long as Sandusky et. al. get punished I'm ok with that.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I don't think it started in 1996, but as of the time of the grand jury that was all they knew.

Apparently the publicity of this case has caused a lot more victims to come forward. In a little over ONE DAY after police asked victims to contact them, and the list or credible claims is approaching 20 rather than the initial 8.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/33197576

A best guess is that there had to be 50+ kids victimized. Horribly there was probably a nearly equal number of adults who saw SOMETHING and did NOTHING.

On ESPN's Rumor Central they mention Caldwell as a possible replacement for Paterno. Hahahaha, please god let that happen. It would serve them right.

On ESPN's Rumor Central they mention Caldwell as a possible replacement for Paterno. Hahahaha, please god let that happen. It would serve them right.

I don't buy that only because after this they are going to want someone that was never associated with Penn State for the past 60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't buy that only because after this they are going to want someone that was never associated with Penn State for the past 60 years.
    Oh it absolutely won't happen but it's funny to think about.

Oh it absolutely won't happen but it's funny to think about.
    I understand and I wish it would actually happen.