Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State accusations

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penn State accusations

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's exactly what I want to know. How is this guy still employed for essentially doing the same thing as Paterno?
    I can see him possibly trading his job security in return for info on this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry...donors-2011-11

I really hope this rumor winds up not to be true....because if so, the entire penn state university is culpable in a conspiracy so wide and sick I find it difficult to fathom.

One sick pedophile was bad enough...but an entire network of penn state pedophiles? With the sick ******* coach acting as a pimp?

No...I can't buy that.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-10-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I can see him possibly trading his job security in return for info on this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry...donors-2011-11

I really hope this rumor winds up not to be true....because if so, the entire penn state university is culpable in a conspiracy so wide and sick I find it difficult to fathom.

One sick pedophile was bad enough...but an entire network of penn state pedophiles? With the sick ******* coach acting as a pimp?

No...I can't buy that.
    I'd love to not to be able to buy it .... but it kind of reeks of something bigger, doesn't it? The FBI is involved. A prosecutor who had a confession and ignored it. High ranking officials at the school who knew and did nothing. Too many witnesses, and chances for him to get caught, but nobody did anything to stop it .....

As I put it all together it seems more likely, not less. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe anything is possible at this point, the story is already unbelievable anyway and yet it is true.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

All I'm saying is that most of the people who are at fault are being dealt with legally, and I really do not think JoePa is at that much blame. The reason I'm defensive is because this reminds me all too much of a certain series of events that happened at a certain high school I happened to be attending at the time two or so years ago. I was painted with a broad brush like you are painting all of Penn State with now. Granted, the allegations at PSU are much more significant, but it is far from a majority of the program that even knew about it and thus we should sanction these people to the full extent of the law, and those who acted in bad morale standing but not illegally should be removed from their positions (as they are being, minus McQueary) . The students are convinced that Joe Pa isn't at fault here because he did nothing illegal and they are their hero. If Reggie Miller had a huge sex scandal against him, I'd really want to defend him unless he did something so horrific that I could not, and PATERNO, IMO, did not (Sandusky, however, did).

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Mood

looks like what i though will happen will. Joepa is hiring a lawyer and trying to defend his name.
    NBC News reports Joe Paterno has hired a prominent Washington criminal defense lawyer to represent him in the Penn State sex abuse case

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    All I'm saying is that most of the people who are at fault are being dealt with legally, and I really do not think JoePa is at that much blame.
    If you're put in a position to defend children who can't defend themselves and you ignore that, yes you're to blame. All it would have taken is one, ONE phone call. It was apparently decided that helping children being raped and molested weren't worth that gargantuan of an effort. Man, that's rough.

Yeah, guess I don't blame him either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

All I'm saying is that most of the people who are at fault are being dealt with legally, and I really do not think JoePa is at that much blame. The reason I'm defensive is because this reminds me all too much of a certain series of events that happened at a certain high school I happened to be attending at the time two or so years ago. I was painted with a broad brush like you are painting all of Penn State with now. Granted, the allegations at PSU are much more significant, but it is far from a majority of the program that even knew about it and thus we should sanction these people to the full extent of the law, and those who acted in bad morale standing but not illegally should be removed from their positions (as they are being, minus McQueary) . The students are convinced that Joe Pa isn't at fault here because he did nothing illegal and they are their hero. If Reggie Miller had a huge sex scandal against him, I'd really want to defend him unless he did something so horrific that I could not, and PATERNO, IMO, did not (Sandusky, however, did).
    I hope you're never in the position Paterno was in then if you think he did all he could and is not that much to blame. And I mean that in all sincerity.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying Paterno did the right thing, nor am I saying anything close to that. I'm saying he reported it to the people it was his job to report to. Is it stupid that he wasn't supposed to report it to the police? Of course. Should his morale have kicked and and told him to do it anyway? Obviously most of us (including myself) think so. But this is how bureaucracy works, and its situations like this that make all of its downsides evident.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

So you admit he should have gone to the police yet you're willing to continue to trust him to do his job.

I'm not saying Paterno did the right thing, nor am I saying anything close to that. I'm saying he reported it to the people it was his job to report to. Is it stupid that he wasn't supposed to report it to the police? Of course. Should his morale have kicked and and told him to do it anyway? Obviously most of us (including myself) think so. But this is how bureaucracy works, and its situations like this that make all of its downsides evident.
    You know, I'm going to defend you a little here. From the outside, this is so easy, so cut-and-dry, so morally reprehensible, that we can resort to the levels of rhetoric that we have taken to. But I think given the context of the situation and knowing how things really work (sad state of affairs it is) in organizations, these sort of cover ups probably aren't totally uncommon. I'm not going to defend anyone, because the whole thing is horrible, but no one likes to be a whistle-blower, no one wants to be the person to point out scandal in an organization they hold dear to their hearts (and built), no one wants to send a friend or mentor to jail.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

There are certain things you send a friend to jail for, this is one of them.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

You agree that he acted immorally and that he should have been fired. What exactly are you objecting to, then?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

You know, I'm going to defend you a little here. From the outside, this is so easy, so cut-and-dry, so morally reprehensible, that we can resort to the levels of rhetoric that we have taken to. But I think given the context of the situation and knowing how things really work (sad state of affairs it is) in organizations, these sort of cover ups probably aren't totally uncommon. I'm not going to defend anyone, because the whole thing is horrible, but no one likes to be a whistle-blower, no one wants to be the person to point out scandal in an organization they hold dear to their hearts (and built), no one wants to send a friend or mentor to jail.
    What he and others did in covering it up or not reporting it is understandable, but that doesn't mean it's excusable. I get that in moments of weakness ordinarilly decent people can do ****** things, but they have to answer for their actions regardless of kind or chummy they normally are.

I guess I don't really get these white-knight Paterno posts. What is the aim? What is he being defended against?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    What he and others did in covering it up or not reporting it is understandable, but that doesn't mean it's excusable. I get that in moments of weakness ordinarilly decent people can do ****** things, but they have to answer for their actions regardless of kind or chummy they normally are.

I guess I don't really get these white-knight Paterno posts. What is the aim? What is he being defended against?
    Nah it's not excusable at all. Just because I can sort of understand why they did what they did doesn't make it excusable in any way, shape, or form.

To be clear: I'm not defending Paterno. Like usual, I'm playing devil's advocate and shedding light on the other side of the argument.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    There are certain things you send a friend to jail for, this is one of them.
    Absolutely. Really, even if I learned that my best friend in the world did something like this, I would cease to consider them my friend at all. For the record, I don't think that was the main motivation behind the cover up. I think everyone was more concerned about the Penn State institution than any other factor. They didn't want to bring scandal upon what was otherwise a sparkling, clean program. All they did was delay the inevitable and make it about 100 times worse.

Which is why the whole dirty house needs to be swept clean IMO.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Which is why the whole dirty house needs to be swept clean IMO.
    It is. President out, coach out, AD will be out, after the season the entire coaching staff will be let go I'm sure.

It is. President out, coach out, AD will be out, after the season the entire coaching staff will be let go I'm sure.
    Yep. The whole deck of cards is falling. No doubt about it. wow..........after going back and reading all this thread that's all I can say. I had read the grand jury report but that is all I knew. Like Trader Joe said this is like a horror movie. Will the investigation bring the true scope of everything that was going on? It's already a huge story but this could grow into a story so huge and far reaching that none of us could have anticipated. Wonder how many total victims there was once all this comes out? Sad.
    Last edited by presto123; 11-11-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    You agree that he acted immorally and that he should have been fired. What exactly are you objecting to, then?
    This whole vibe I'm getting that he is just as much to blame as Sandusky. He isn't.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Nobody is saying that....not one person. Sandusky is going to prison. all Paterno lost was his job, which was 8 years overdue.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well I just don't like how the media there is handling things, after the board decided to fire Joe Pa, and the president, the first question asked (by multiple people at once) is: Who's coaching the football game on saturday? That's what disturbes me about the media. There should be more said about the victims, what they've had to deal with and not about a stupid football game.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

It's going to get uglier, no doubt about that.

Joe Pa was in a unique position that few coaches attain; he had become an institution, and wielded considerably more power than the average college coach, power he could have used years ago to put a stop to this. The obvious local parallel is Coach Bob Knight. Knight also became an institution and had a lot of influence (some would say too much) at IU. Knight had his failings but I can guarantee he would not only nipped this in the bud, he would have confronted the predator directly and probably would have kicked his a**.

Penn State needs to seriously consider dropping football entirely for a year or two, IMO.

I'm most definitely saying he's on par with Sandusky.

Joe Paterno might not have known it was anal rape, but he KNEW it was "fondling or something of a sexual nature." I put that in quotation marks because that is the phrase that the Grand Jury report uses that JoePa told investigators. That is what he told the police, when they asked what he reported to Curley, the AD.

If you KNEW that someone around your program was "fondling" or doing "something of a sexual nature" to little boys in the shower stalls of your locker room, do you really keep your mouth shut about it for 9 ****ing years?

HELL NO!

He continued to ignore the situation, while Sandusky was bringing around MORE children to the football facilities. He knew Sandusky was at worst a child molester and didn't care enough to remove him from his facilities.

That is allowing it to happen. He might as well paid for a hotel room, or drove the boy to Sandusky.

His actions allowed children to be raped. Period.

He should not only lose his job. He should go to jail. Age is not an excuse.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...resentment.pdf

There is the Grand Jury report, page 7, paragraph 3. Read it for your own eyes.

Not only that, but Sandusky was fired in 1999 for sexually assualting a young boy. PSU felt they had enough reason to fire him, but they continued to watch him bring young boys around the facilities.

It's disgusting.

They blantantly watched a known pedophile parade his children around and they didn' do anything to stop him. Oh, they took away his keys. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm most definitely saying he's on par with Sandusky.

Joe Paterno might not have known it was anal rape, but he KNEW it was "fondling or something of a sexual nature." I put that in quotation marks because that is the phrase that the Grand Jury report uses that JoePa told investigators. That is what he told the police, when they asked what he reported to Curley, the AD.

If you KNEW that someone around your program was "fondling" or doing "something of a sexual nature" to little boys in the shower stalls of your locker room, do you really keep your mouth shut about it for 9 ****ing years?

HELL NO!

He continued to ignore the situation, while Sandusky was bringing around MORE children to the football facilities. He knew Sandusky was at worst a child molester and didn't care enough to remove him from his facilities.

That is allowing it to happen. He might as well paid for a hotel room, or drove the boy to Sandusky.

His actions allowed children to be raped. Period.

He should not only lose his job. He should go to jail. Age is not an excuse.
    See, I can't agree with this line of thinking. A guy who had second hand knowledge of alleged misconduct, who reported it to his superiors, should be on par with the guy that did the actual act? Can't buy into that. You are really twisting this situation into your own narrative at this point.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: