Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Penn State accusations

Default Re: Penn State accusations

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seeing as the Presidents' Council (made up of Presidents of NCAA member schools) gave him the power to do so... I think this Nation writer is a complete dumbass.
    I understand that the specific wording could be misleading (intentionally or accidentally), but I think the main point of the article - that the NCAA is acting beyond its jurisdiction - stands. Calling the author a "complete dumbass" does not seem necessary.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well some of the actions did occur on campus which gives them some right to act, but I do agree overall that this action should mainly be taken care of by the courts and government.

And taking away the wins the TEAM had is ridiculous. They did nothing wrong on the field of play.
    Last edited by Cactus Jax; 07-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Well some of the actions did occur on campus which gives them some right to act, but I do agree overall that this action should mainly be taken care of by the courts and government.

And taking away the wins the TEAM had is ridiculous. They did nothing wrong on the field of play.
    Paterno sheltered a pedophile and benefitted for 14 years in the win column. You call that nothing wrong?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The game of life he failed and he will be forever shamed and held in bad name for doing those horrible things, but football itself there was nothing wrong, and I could care less about Paterno, its about those players, they don't deserve those losses taken away. There wasn't a pay for play, help students get good grades, or cheat in any way getting atheletes nor did they cheat on the field of play itself. Imagine being a player on those teams, you forever hate the proper people of Penn St. for covering up horrible acts, but you worked your *** off and played to the fullest on the field.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

The football program did directly benefit from the cover-up.

Right now the PSU program is stained by 1) the child molestations by an assistant football coach who held his position for nearly 30 years and had generous campus priviledges for 14 years after that, and 2) the cover-up, perhaps as bad from an NCAA perspective, though not at the same level legally.

If all of this had come to light in 1998 or 2001, #1, the stain of the child molestations by an assistant football coach would have sullied their reputation greatly and it would not have been the program it became in the interim. It would have been hard to distance the genius behind "Linebacker U" from PSU.

Paterno wanted to save his football team that horriffic scandal.

Now it's doubled.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Calling the author a "complete dumbass" does not seem necessary.
    Agree... He could just be a partial dumbass for all we know....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Calling the author a "complete dumbass" does not seem necessary.
    Maybe I'm just biased towards the people who I worked with for nearly two years at 1 NCAA Plaza, but I'm not changing my mind on that writer.

There ARE NCAA bylaws that cover standard decency, which I do believe Dr. Emmert cited yesterday in handing down this decision. Simply put, if you are covering up criminal activity in your athletic program, end it NOW, or face the consequences.

For those who are wringing their hands over the vacating of wins, guess what? The wellbeing and safety of 10 kids is MORE important than 110 or whatever victories. Paterno lost sight of that when he let that monster continue to hang around his program.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paterno should have been fired probably 13 years ago, at the very least he should not have been head coach for the past 10 years if this scandal had come to light. The team benefited from having Paterno around while he covered up the abuse of underage boys. Underage boys that were abused ON PENN STATE PROPERTY. IN PENN STATE LOCKER ROOMS. DURING PENN STATE TRIPS TO NCAA BOWL GAMES. How is this not an NCAA issue? I don't understand that line of thinking at all. It's not like Sandusky even had the guts to take his criminal activity off site. He did it in areas where the NCAA absolutely has jurisdiction. If the NCAA doesn't have the right to punish programs that allowed young boys get sexually assaulted in their locker rooms on school property for NCAA sports teams, then what's even the point of having the NCAA?

If Jerry Sandusky had been beating men to death in Penn State locker rooms and Paterno had been covering that up or had they been hiring prostitutes to blow players after every game, it would still be a criminal issue but I would also damn well hope the NCAA would be able to punish the damn school for it. Otherwise we might as well just get rid of the NCAA and let schools do whatever they want if we're just going to say that only the court system can punish individuals for any violation that is a criminal offense. Shouldn't we be giving the NCAA more power to go after schools and athletic programs the more serious the offense is, not less?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I mean let's just be real, yes it's graphic and hard to think about it, but Sandusky was so brazen, and felt so safe and so protected at Penn State University, that he was comfortable with anally raping an underage boy in a locker room the football team uses in broad daylight. That is some ****ed up **** right there.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Went way to soft on Penn State should of killed the program for 15 years. The same time the President, Joe Pa and the Ad knew. You cant know about a monster and let him run wild and rape kids for another 15 years they put the tradition and football program ahead of the children who's lives now will never be the same some will be ruined because of that monster. But no one at that school gave a **** all they cared about is football. Letting them play is a shame and the $60m is chump change State college got 200m in donations since that Monster was arrested. You needed to send a message to that whole program and more importantly the victims that they are far more important than football. This is about the worst crime outside of murder how a whole city can cover it up for so long is unreal they should all be ashamed of themselves.

Yes, lets completely destroy the Happy Valley economy for 15 years because of something they probably didn't know was happening and deprive players of scholarships to get educations again because of something they more than likely had no idea was going about. Soon the former President and AD will be rotting in jail with Sandusky. Paterno's legacy is as dead as he is. For ALL intensive purposes, what Penn State got in much more devastating than what SMU got, and look at how pathetic that program has really been since that ruling.

As for the $200 mill in donations, good for Penn State, even BETTER for the soon to come lawsuits against Penn State by the victims of Sandusky. The 60m penalty is just the TIP of that iceberg.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Yep, the attorneys for those filing the lawsuits will be using all of these figures and more. Penn State will be bleeding money by the end of this. The money is not the issue. I would have liked to see at least a one year TV ban, maybe even two year alongside the postseason issue. That would have been my change, along with removing them from the Big Ten if I was the conference.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

The only reason I would NOT kick them out of the Big Ten is because of the other PSU Athletic teams that did nothing wrong (even though their boss and his boss were scumbags involved in this). Id have suspended them from Big Ten football for a minimum of one season.

If the happy valley economy is going to be "destroyed" by 10-15 years of bad football (not NO football mind you, just bad football), that's their own fault.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

for ****s sake the whole town knew. Victim #1's mom was told to not go to the police and calm down from a principal at a local HS so Sandusky could keep coaching HS football. That whole town is to blame and most of the town knew what Sandusky was doing but were hush hush about it to keep the program in a positive light.

15 yr death sentence or 15 years of donating every dollar the football program makes to charity and the victims.

Yes, lets completely destroy the Happy Valley economy for 15 years because of something they probably didn't know was happening and deprive players of scholarships to get educations again because of something they more than likely had no idea was going about. Soon the former President and AD will be rotting in jail with Sandusky. Paterno's legacy is as dead as he is. For ALL intensive purposes, what Penn State got in much more devastating than what SMU got, and look at how pathetic that program has really been since that ruling.

As for the $200 mill in donations, good for Penn State, even BETTER for the soon to come lawsuits against Penn State by the victims of Sandusky. The 60m penalty is just the TIP of that iceberg.
    Yeah, let's cost thousands of people their jobs because the executives at Enron broke the law. The employees shouldn't be punished for their bosses crimes. They should be able to keep their jobs, with no boss, with no comany to actually produce work for. We cannot have punishments that affect other people. It's just not fair. /endrant

Whether we like it or not, people don't live inside bubbles. Other people's actions impact us, and there's nothing we can do about it.

A 15 year death penalty is just overkill when those who actually committed the crime and covered it up are either dead or will die broke in prison.

Look, I wanted the book thrown at Penn State too, but what they got was probably the worst punishment that could reasonably be given out by the NCAA. Remember, the government is still lurking out there on this too.

Besides, Penn State is going to NEED the football program revenue not already going to victim advocacy groups in order to pay for the lawsuits that are inbound. Every last dime of it.

Penn St raised 208MILLION dollars last year alone.
    Penn State received more than $208 million in donations for the fiscal year that just ended, the second-highest total in university history despite the upheaval after the arrest of Jerry Sandusky on child sex abuse charges.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48126906...chool-history/

I think they'll be able to scrap through.

And they will need EVERY. LAST. DIME. of that and athletics revenue.

That's kinda the point. Punishments are supposed to be harsh.

I am pulling these numbers out of my ***, but I think each victim gets 100M, I honestly think we are looking at BILLIONS in lawsuits.

One of my coworkers thinks itll be more like 10M per, either way they are just to have to pony up.

And this is only with civil suits, this doesnt take into account the fines from the DOJ

30. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    That's kinda the point. Punishments are supposed to be harsh.
    What the NCAA handed down was harsh, and I agree with it. A 15 year Death Penalty is OVERKILL.

This is not the death penalty. They can still play football. If you think that's overkill, that's not their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This is not the death penalty.
    They will be fighting IU for bottom-feeder status in Big 10 football shortly, and they will be for quite awhile. I'd argue the SMU Death Penalty would have been more merciful for the NCAA to issue.

They will be fighting IU for bottom-feeder status in Big 10 football shortly, and they will be for quite awhile. I'd argue the SMU Death Penalty would have been more merciful for the NCAA to issue.
    I agree. That doesn't change the fact that this isn't the death penalty.