Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Penn State accusations

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penn State accusations

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But what do you have to do to get at least a year ban?
    The year ban is no longer part of the NCAA Death Penalty. This is much worse than the SMU Death Penalty. The suspension that SMU got should probably be from now on called the NCAA Atom Bomb.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...pretty sure that's a violation until the players offically leave school.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

1070 The Fan ‏@1070thefan

RT @ap_top25: Big Ten plans to announce its own sanctions for Penn State at 11 am ET.

Its not over for Penn State today.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

they should be happy if they aren't removed entirely.

Another point:

Football players can choose to keep their scholarship and not play football.

Not sure how much, if at all, that will be used.

I can certainly see under-performing upperclassmen with zero shot at the NFL taking advantage of that. I know I would if I had a year or two left and was on my way to a degree I really wanted.

Think of all that extra time freed up to study/relax.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    they should be happy if they aren't removed entirely.
    I think the B10 suspends the football program from B10 conference play for at least a year.

Mood

I disagree with the vacation of wins, but agree with the rest of the sanctions. I would have imposed a heftier fine (its going towards prevention and PSU alumni are going to cover it likely), longer probation and year longer bowl ban, while allowing current players to transfer without penalty. The vacation of wins just aggravates me. The vacations are just there because the guy Joe Paterno passed on the all time list complained, (or actually, the city of the college did on his behalf). That is BS if you ask me.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

If it was about the stupid record, they could have just vacated 2011. They vacated FOURTEEN YEARS.

In other words, once the powers in the program became aware of sandusky's evil behavior, every game they won while protecting that monster for the sake of their program doesn't count. I totally agree with that.

Who does it affect anyway, other than Paterno? It's not like college players get their college W/L records on their resumes. Even if the records are erased, the players will still have memories of their accomplishments.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-23-2012 at 10:06 AM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

In other words, once the powers in the program became aware of sandusky's evil behavior, every game they won while protecting that monster for the sake of their program doesn't count. I totally agree with that.
    Couldn't agree more. There should never be any harbor anywhere for a monster like that. He came into their midst, abused innocent young children, and when caught, thier response only emboldened him to continue. They are lucky this is all they got. There is a special place in hell for all of them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who remains at this school who had anything to do with what Sandusky did?

Still not a fan of punishing the innocent. Makes it look like this is being some just to make some people feel better. I don't see how it's punishing the guilty.
    This was not punishment for what Sandusky did as much as it was punishment for covering it up for so long.

The culture that allowed that cover-up to occur, the unrestrained worship of a coach and a football program to such an extent that they felt empowered to answer to no one, has remained entrenched at Penn State. These types of penalties were needed, IMO, to change that. It forces the administrators, fans, alumni, and boosters to gain some perspective, even if they had no direct involvement in a criminal act.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Penn State will split the fine of 60M over 5 years, which is 12 million a year

...the big ten adds an additional $13 million in lost shared revenue, and bans them from the big ten title game for 4 years.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If I'm a D-1 football coach, my plane is already on the way to State College to start recruiting.
    Yeah, I hope Wilson is doing his work. Seems like IU could be a nice little landing spot for a lot of Penn State decommits and transfers

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Personally, I think they got off easy, but that's just me. Happy that something was done at least

...the big ten adds an additional $13 million in lost shared revenue, and bans them from the big ten title game for 4 years.
    Should have given them the old heave ho in my opinion.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It's going to take 10 years for Penn State to recover from this, if it ever happens. Things are going to get ugly for the football program on the field. On a totally non-related note, Wisconsin fans can start ordering tickets to the 2012 Big Ten Championship game.

But the punishment was fair. The football program had become so big that it allowed behavior like this to go on, all for the fear of what would happen if this was found out. And the vacated wins was the correct call too. Paterno played a major part in the cover up, and his lasting football legacy is the amount of wins he had. Moving him to fifth helps correct that.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    It's going to take 10 years for Penn State to recover from this, if it ever happens. Things are going to get ugly for the football program on the field. On a totally non-related note, Wisconsin fans can start ordering tickets to the 2012 Big Ten Championship game.

But the punishment was fair. The football program had become so big that it allowed behavior like this to go on, all for the fear of what would happen if this was found out. And the vacated wins was the correct call too. Paterno played a major part in the cover up, and his lasting football legacy is the amount of wins he had. Moving him to fifth helps correct that.
    It also sends a signal to any other HC's out there that care about their W-L record (and you'd assume that is all of them) that they'd better stand up, speak up, and do the right thing when they see wrong-doing anywhere around their program... or risk their coaching record and legacy.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yeah, I hope Wilson is doing his work. Seems like IU could be a nice little landing spot for a lot of Penn State decommits and transfers
    IU would work great work for PSU recruits who don't want to be associated with the diminished reputation of Penn State, but also kind of like the idea of a bowl ban

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

I don't feel sorry for the current players. They still get a college education with a least an incredible discount. If they want the glory of bowl games and the pageantry, they are free to transfer unpunished. They have options, and at the end of the day they will get to lead relatively normal, adjusted lives.

The victims of the molestations do not.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

This is a very appropriate punishment. Punishing the university so much that is negatively effects its academics is absolutely Draconian. The students and a vast majority of the administration did nothing wrong. Taking away the football program, if only for a year or two, would have a tremendous negative effect. Fining them a significant sum of money and making sure their football program is not a primary source of attention for the school is smart.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They got lucky that they can still be shown on TV games, although their team will suck so bad noone will really want to show them. That will help them survive the next few years until they get to be able to play in bowl games, and recruit at an equal level, and the stain of all this starts to go down a little.

This does show me though that the Big 10 sees something in Penn State still that they didn't boot them.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Here's an interesting take on the sanctions from Dave Zirin over at The Nation:
    http://www.thenation.com/blog/169002...ust-dead-wrong

Take a step back from the hysteria and just think about what took place: Penn State committed no violations of any NCAA bylaws. There were no secret payments to “student-athletes,” no cheating on tests, no improper phone calls, no using cream cheese instead of butter on a recruit’s bagel, or any of the Byzantine minutiae that fills the time-sheets that justify Mark Emmert’s $1.6 million salary.

What Penn State did was commit horrific violations of criminal and civil laws, and it should pay every possible price for shielding Sandusky, the child rapist. This is why we have a society with civil and criminal courts. Instead, we have Mark Emmert inserting himself in a criminal matter and acting as judge, jury and executioner, in the style of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. As much as I can’t stand Goodell’s authoritarian, undemocratic methods, the NFL is a private corporation and his method of punishment was collectively bargained with the NFL Players Association. Emmert, heading up the so-called nonprofit NCAA, is intervening with his own personal judgment and cutting the budget of a public university. He has no right, and every school under the auspices of the NCAA should be terrified that he believes he does.

Emmert justifies this by saying Penn State “lost institutional control” of the football program. Tragically, the opposite is the case here. There was so much control a serial child rapist was able to have his tracks covered for—at least—thirteen years. He is instead using this canard of “institutional control” to justify an abrogation of public budgets, public universities and, most critically, public oversight.

The discussion we should be having is how to organize the outrage of the Penn State campus and the people of Pennsylvania to expel the entire Board of Trustees. Just as the statue of Coach Paterno came tumbling down in the name of turning the page at Penn State, the board should follow. We should be talking about how to push for a full investigation of Governor Tom Corbett and his own extra-slow-motion investigation of Sandusky when he was the state’s attorney general. Former Governor Ed Rendell, as a board trustee during Sandusky’s continued presence on campus, should be subpoenaed as well. But instead, we get the maiming of Penn State’s athletic budget for the grand purpose of turning Mark Emmert and the NCAA into something they have no legal right to be. Private, unaccountable actors have no business cutting the budgets of a public campus. Today’s move by Emmert didn’t bring justice to any of Sandusky’s victims. It didn’t help clean house at Penn State. Instead it was extra-legal, extrajudicial and stinks to high heaven.

calling it "total institutional control" only makes sense if Paterno and his pueudo-bosses approved of child rape.

If you believe they wanted Sandusky to stop raping children, then That is indeed loss of institutional control.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Emmert, heading up the so-called nonprofit NCAA, is intervening with his own personal judgment and cutting the budget of a public university. He has no right, and every school under the auspices of the NCAA should be terrified that he believes he does.
    Seeing as the Presidents' Council (made up of Presidents of NCAA member schools) gave him the power to do so... I think this Nation writer is a complete dumbass.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: