Thread: Penn State accusations

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penn State accusations

Penn State’s blog reports:
    Victim 1

GUILTY 1. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 2. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 3. Indecent assault (felony)
    GUILTY 4. Unlawful contact with a minor (1st degree)
    GUILTY 5. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 6. Endangering welfare of children (felony)

Victim 2

NOT GUILTY 7. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 8. Indecent assault (2nd degree misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 9. Unlawful contact with a minor (1st degree)
    GUILTY 10. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 11. Endangering the welfare of a child (misdemeanor)

Victim 3

GUILTY 12. Indecent assault (2nd degree misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 13. Unlawful contact with a minor (3rd degree)
    GUILTY 14. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 15. Endangering the welfare of a child (felony)

Victim 4

DISMISSED 16. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 17. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    DISMISSED 18. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    DISMISSED 19. Aggravated indecent assault
    GUILTY 20. Indecent assault (2nd degree misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 21. Unlawful contact with a minor (1st degree)
    GUILTY 22. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 23. Endangering the welfare of a child (felony)

Victim 5

NOT GUILTY 24. Indecent assault (1st degree misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 25. Unlawful contact with a minor (3rd degree)
    GUILTY 26. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 27. Endangering welfare of a child (felony)

Victim 6

NOT GUILTY 28. Indecent assault (1st degree misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 29. Unlawful contact with a minor (3rd degree)
    GUILTY 30. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 31. Endangering the welfare of a child (misdemeanor)

Victim 7

GUILTY 32. Criminal attempt to commit indecent assault
    WITHDRAWN 33. Unlawful contact with a minors (3rd degree)
    GUILTY 34. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 35. Endangering the welfare of a child (misdemeanor)

Victim 8

GUILTY 36. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 37. Indecent assault (2nd degree misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 38. Unlawful contact with a minor (1st degree)
    GUILTY 39. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 40. Endangering the welfare of a child (misdemeanor)

Victim 9

GUILTY 41. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 42: Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 43. Indecent assault (felony)
    GUILTY 44. Unlawful contact with a minor (1st degree)
    GUILTY 45. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 46. Endangering the welfare of a child (felony)

Victim 10

GUILTY 47. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 48. Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse
    GUILTY 49. Indecent assault (misdemeanor)
    GUILTY 50. Unlawful contact with a minor (1st degree)
    GUILTY 51. Corruption of minors
    GUILTY 52. Endangering the welfare of a child (felony)

Here are the penalties Sandusky is facing for each charge:

Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse – 1st degree felony – 20 years in prison – $25,000

Unlawful contact with a minor – 1st degree felony – 20 years in prison – $25,000

Indecent assault – 3rd degree felony – 7 years in prison – $15,000

Endangering the welfare of a child – 3rd degree felony – 7 years in prison – $15,000

Unlawful contact with a minor – 3rd degree felony – 7 years in prison – $15,000

Corruption of minors – 1st degree misdemeanor – 5 years in prison – $10,000

Endangering the welfare of a child – 1st degree misdemeanor – 5 years in prison – $10,000

Indecent assault – 1st degree misdemeanor – 5 years in prison – $10,000

Indecent Assault – 2nd degree misdemeanor – 2 years in prison – $5,000

Criminal attempt to commit indecent assault – 2 years in prison – $5,000

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/06...comment-348910

If it wasnt for Sara Ganim....Jerry might have gotten away with it. God Bless this girl and all of the victims as they move forward and heal.

http://www.glamour.com/inspired/maga...jerry-sandusky

So now we the question is how much does Penn State get punished?

Football was placed above all this crap, and not including the lawsuits, will the football program face some sort or penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Football was placed above all this crap, and not including the lawsuits, will the football program face some sort or penalty?
    The civil suits have only begun....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post

They have already suffered greatly in the death of Paterno, a legendary coach. If he would have kept coaching, he would have lived 10+ more years, even at his age. But without football, he had nothing to live for, cancer or not.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    They have already suffered greatly in the death of Paterno, a legendary coach. If he would have kept coaching, he would have lived 10+ more years, even at his age. But without football, he had nothing to live for, cancer or not.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

While I agree with you about Paterno, I disagree about them suffering greatly. This was a cover up of epic proportions, with all signs indicting many people knew about it, but no one wanted anything, even if it is sexual assault on minors, to effect or impact the Penn State football program.

It would be one thing if this was some huge secret, but all indications are it was not (and I really hope we don't find out down the road his charity know stuff was up)

Not sure what the appropriate punishment is for Penn State, but I genuinely hope that the firing of a legendary coach is not the only thing that is a result of this investigation and subsequent guilt plea last night.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I always find it a little difficult to believe when all these people come forward after the fact. Where the **** have you been all this time?
    I think those who have responded thus far have done a good job. However, I happened to read this today and thought of your comment, so I will add this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double...e_police_.html
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

It's tough for me to forgive Penn State completely, 25 felonies, and they have received a formal punishment even though this guy was employed by them and maintained access to the University's facilities even after accusations had been placed against him...doesn't make much sense to me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I saw one of their semi's on 465 today (yes, for some godforsaken reason, someone has apparently decided it would be a good idea to drive a Penn State Football semi through Indianapolis). I proceeded to pass it with the one finger salute directed at it the entire time.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

^ all these "Paterno died of a broken heart" people (not just on here...it was all over on facebook at the time) are not going to come out looking great out of all this...not to mention paterno and the penn state admins

Interesting letter from JoPa before he died.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-december-2011

For the last two months, at the request of the Attorney General's office, I have not discussed the specifics of my testimony regarding the pending cases. And while I will continue to honor that request, I do feel compelled to address comments made subsequent to November 9; specifically, I feel compelled to say, in no uncertain terms, that this is not a football scandal.

Let me say that again so I am not misunderstood: regardless of anyone's opinion of my actions or the actions of the handful of administration officials in this matter, the fact is nothing alleged is an indictment of football or evidence that the spectacular collections of accomplishments by dedicated student athletes should be in anyway tarnished.

Yet, over and over again, I have heard Penn State officials decrying the influence of football and have heard such ignorant comments like Penn State will no longer be a "football factory" and we are going to "start" focusing on integrity in athletics. These statements are simply unsupported by the five decades of evidence to the contrary -- and succeed only in unfairly besmirching both a great university and the players and alumni of the football program who have given of themselves to help make it great.

For over 40 years young men have come to Penn State with the idea that they were going to do something different -- they were coming to a place where they would be expected to compete at the highest levels of college football and challenged to get a degree. And they succeeded -- during the last 45 years NO ONE has won more games while graduating more players. The men who made that commitment and who gave of themselves to help build the national reputation of what was once a regional school deserve better than to have their hard work and sacrifice dismissed as part of a "football factory," all in the interests of expediency.

Penn State is not a football factory and it is ALREADY a great University. We have world-class researchers, degree programs, and students in every discipline. Penn Staters have been pioneers in medical advancements, engineering, and in the humanities. Our graduates have gone on to change the world -- even graduates with football lettermen sweaters.

That is why recent comments are so perplexing and damaging -- Penn Staters know we are a world class University. We can recite with pride the ranks of our academic programs and the successes of our graduates. Penn Staters (and employers) know what we are and the quality of our education. Nothing that has been alleged in any way implicates that reputation; rather, it is only the inexplicable comments of our own administration doing so.

It must stop. This is not a football scandal and should not be treated as one. It is not an academic scandal and does not in any way tarnish the hard earned and well-deserved academic reputation of Penn State. That Penn State officials would suggest otherwise is a disservice to every one of the over 500,000 living alumni.

Forget my career in terms of my accomplishments and look at the last 40 years as I do: as the aggregate achievements of hundreds of young men working to become better people as they got an education and became better football players. Look at those men and what they have done in the world since they left Penn State and assess their contributions as an aggregate -- is this a collection of jocks who did nothing but skate by at a football factory, or are these men who earned an education and built a reputation second to none as a place where academic integrity and gridiron success could thrive together?

Whatever failings that may have happened at Penn State, whatever conclusions about my or others' conduct you may wish to draw from a fair view of the allegations, it is inarguable that these actions had nothing to do with this last team or any of the hundreds of prior graduates of the "Grand Experiment."

Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are . Penn State." This is a great university with one of the best academic performing football programs in major college athletics. Those are facts -- and nothing that has been alleged changes them.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

wow...

the investigative report HAMMERS Paterno, President Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz as having "failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade."

"Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State," said Louis Freeh, the former director of the FBI who was hired by university trustees to look into what has become one of sports' biggest scandals. "The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized."

Paterno "was an integral part of this active decision to conceal," Freeh said at a news conference.

no waffling there.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ildren-welfare
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

It's time for Penn State's athletic program to be held responsible for their role in this. They deserve and should get the current "death penalty"

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's time for Penn State's athletic program to be held responsible for their role in this. They deserve and should get the current "death penalty"
    This. If SMU received the death penalty for paying players, which was and still is a common practice, Penn St. should get this punishment as well. Harboring child molestors is much worse than paying players
    David "And One" West

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^ all these "Paterno died of a broken heart" people (not just on here...it was all over on facebook at the time) are not going to come out looking great out of all this...not to mention paterno and the penn state admins
    This may seem crazy, but I believe Joe died on purpose. Rather than fess up to his involvement, he took the easy way out.
    David "And One" West

I would be curious to know what Paterno's initial diagnosis said as to prognosis and suggested treatment versus what treatment path he ultimately chose.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I dunno about dying on purpose per se, but losing the will to live can definitely quicken someone's final fate.

All I know is that he's still going to get off lighter than he deserves.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Someone needs to round up a gang to topple the Paterno statue, like the toppling of the Saddam statue in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I dunno about dying on purpose per se, but losing the will to live can definitely quicken someone's final fate.

All I know is that he's still going to get off lighter than he deserves.
    True. And that would be a part of what I'm wondering. Was there no option but to treat pain and make his last days as comfortable as possible? Or did he choose not to fight the disease and take that path instead? It very well could be the doctor's told him he's 80+ years old and battling the disease would make what little time he has left nearly intolerable with not a good chance of success anyway. So I could certainly understand him choosing not to fight based on that (if that is what he did). But OTOH, if the prognosis w/ treatment wasn't that dire then I guess my curiosity meter goes up a bit. But I'm assuming his rather quick demise is indicative of not fighting the disease. That could be a wrong assumption. Maybe he did fight, and maybe it didn't matter.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Someone needs to round up a gang to topple the Paterno statue, like the toppling of the Saddam statue in Iraq.
    While what Paterno did/didn't do was pretty awful, comparing his situation to Saddam is a poor comparison.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I am not comparing what they did. If they want a statue of him somewhere inside the football stadium that would be fine. I am just saying you don't need a statue of him in a public place of honor that sets him up as some sort of campus deity.

I guess I'm torn on punishing the school for one reason: If everyone involved/guilty/responsible has been imprisoned, fired, or died... who are they punishing that DESERVES IT that's leftover at the university, and how much are wanting to hurt all of the students/alumni/staff/players/coaches that had nothing to do with it?

I'm not saying there is nobody left who should be punished and still works at the school (I don't know either way), I'm just saying that if it can be established who was and who was not responsible for all of this, why not single them out and fire them all, if they haven't already been fired, and prosecute them all as appropriate? Why hurt the innocent ones on that campus?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I guess I'm torn on punishing the school for one reason: If everyone involved/guilty/responsible has been imprisoned, fired, or died... who are they punishing that DESERVES IT that's leftover at the university, and how much are wanting to hurt all of the students/alumni/staff/players/coaches that had nothing to do with it?

I'm not saying there is nobody left who should be punished and still works at the school (I don't know either way), I'm just saying that if it can be established who was and who was not responsible for all of this, why not single them out and fire them all, if they haven't already been fired, and prosecute them all as appropriate? Why hurt the innocent ones on that campus?
    To use them as an example for everyone else.

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas

Penn State was a conspiracy of cowards. If just one person does right and reports it, the conspiracy of silence falls apart. Cowards all.
    Retweeted by Steve Mosley
    Expand

Retweeted
    Favorite