Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State accusations

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penn State accusations

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My understanding was that at least one of the first incidents did go to the police and to the district attorney who decided, somehow, to not press charges even when confronted with the evidence provided by the parent of a victim, including a legally taped phone conversation with the scumbag, implicating himself. The district attorney has apparently been missing and presumed dead for 6 years, in another very odd twist.

I don't know how many incidents there were or when it first got reported. Obviously if it was delayed at all, some large degree of responsibility is on anyone who helped to delay it.

I still can't get over the reaction of the adult eyewitness. To just leave the building without STOPPING IT, and then to not go to the police, is irresponsibility-squared.

Lots of blame to go around here. Wonder what Joe P will do and say today.
    I've been trying to wrap my mind around it? How do you walk away? How do you turn your back on that kid? I just don't know...how do you not stop it? It just seems like it would be the natural reaction for me to say something, to yell, to shout, to try and stop it, but to just walk away? Man...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Some crazy stuff on twitter about this right now, including something that as recently as a couple weeks ago Sandusky was apparently at Penn State's practice with an unnamed child? And was still allowed to use the workout facilities on his own at Penn State? Right now it's just on twitter, but I'm trying to find the article that was referenced.

My understanding was that at least one of the first incidents did go to the police and to the district attorney who decided, somehow, to not press charges even when confronted with the evidence provided by the parent of a victim, including a legally taped phone conversation with the scumbag, implicating himself. The district attorney has apparently been missing and presumed dead for 6 years, in another very odd twist.

I don't know how many incidents there were or when it first got reported. Obviously if it was delayed at all, some large degree of responsibility is on anyone who helped to delay it.

I still can't get over the reaction of the adult eyewitness. To just leave the building without STOPPING IT, and then to not go to the police, is irresponsibility-squared.

Lots of blame to go around here. Wonder what Joe P will do and say today.
    Apparently, the prosecutor that disappeared was never found, but his car, his laptop, and his hard drive were found in a nearby river. The last search on his home computer was how to destroy a hard drive.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know what's even worse about this? Unless they get a victim or witness willing to go to court, he's gonna walk away from it all. I can tell you from experience that they will have trouble getting someone to go in there and tell what happened. The graduate assistant mentioned several times will likely plead the 5th if forced to testify since he would face charges for admitting what he saw on the stand and not reporting it to police.

This Paterno press conference at noon will get ugly fast.

Peegs predicts Paterno will resign soon.

A great many people have seemingly assumed that the witness told Paterno something specific enough for him sit up and say "I need to go to the police with this information".

Considering all of the things the witness himself did not do- like stop the act, or go to the police himself- I have to wonder what his meeting with Paterno was really like. Did he just go in there and say "Coach, how well do you know Mr. Sandusky? He seems creepy to me". If the witness didn't want to get involved enough to stop the guy, maybe he didn't even want to be the one to blow the whistle on the guy, until he had to do so under oath.

Just thinking out loud here, and maybe JoePa and others did indeed cover up actual rape, but an awful lot of factors seem to make no sense at all and some issues like who knew exactly what, and when, need to be clarified.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ek-reports-say

Excerpt
    Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky had access to the team's weight room as recently as last week, a person familiar with the situation said just hours before Joe Paterno was to give his first news conference since his former protege was charged with child sex abuse.

PSU just cancelled Paterno's weekly press conference scheduled for today, per ESPN (TV), according to what I read on another board.

confirmed now at espn.com, cancelled by the school president, not by Paterno, according to his son.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ews-conference

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    How can a man walk in on a child being raped and not do anything about it? How can you turn your back and walk away? I'm about to get sick.
    That's what I was trying to figure out. If I witnessed that, the LEAST that's going to happen is I'm grabbing this guy and throwing him against the nearest wall.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Woah!

Mood

Did he just go in there and say "Coach, how well do you know Mr. Sandusky? He seems creepy to me". If the witness didn't want to get involved enough to stop the guy, maybe he didn't even want to be the one to blow the whistle on the guy, until he had to do so under oath.

Just thinking out loud here, and maybe JoePa and others did indeed cover up actual rape, but an awful lot of factors seem to make no sense at all and some issues like who knew exactly what, and when, need to be clarified.
    Well, I think he must have told Paterno something with a bit more substance than that to warrant Paterno reporting it to the AD. You're right that none of us know what it is, but Paterno didn't go to the AD to report that his graduate assistant thought Sandusky was creepy.

Paterno should resign and everyone else on the staff should be canned. The school should vacate 2 wins, especially since the timing of this is very suspicious with #409 coming about a week ago.

I don't think the NCAA touches this one. It appears to me that they generally only care about violations of their own rules and things that give schools an unfair advantage (freebies, grades, recruiting violations).

New york post reporting that PSU is planning Paternos exit.

The last 15 minutes with Matt Millen on espn have been gripping.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hes done. Plain and simple.

And no, I don't think the NCAA gets involved at this time. This is a law enforcement matter.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Here's an article I found with a detailed timeline just to clear up what was said by whom to whom and when. I've copied the timeline only but there is an article at the link as well.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2448...buse-cover.htm

By Melanie Jones | November 7, 2011 5:12 PM EST

Here, a timeline of the course of the explosive sex scandal and its apparent cover-up by members of the Penn State faculty.

1977 -- Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile, a state-wide non-profit foundation established to help at-risk youth. The organization's web site describes it as a place to "promote self-confidence as well as physical, academic, and personal success."

1994-1997 -- Sandusky allegedly uses The Second Mile grounds to engage in "inappropriate conduct" with three different boys he met separately through the program. One boy was 7 or 8, the second was 10, and the third was between 12 and 13. According to the grand jury report, the three boys, now grown, say Sandusky's behavior ranged from touching to overt sexual come-ons and sexual assault. Several incidents reportedly took place during home games for Penn State football, when the team, staff and the boys were all staying at a nearby hotel.

1998 -- First police involvement. Penn State police and the Penn. Department of Public Warfare are contacted by the mother of an 11-year-old boy, who says Sandusky showered with her son and may have had inappropriate contact with him.

June 1, 1998 -- In an interview with investigators, Sandusky admits showering naked with the pre-teen. He admits that it was wrong, and promises not to do it again. No charges are filed, and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed.

1999 -- Sandusky retires from Penn State after coaching for 32 years. he remains a volunteer, and retains full access to the campus, football facilities, and The Second Mile camp grounds.

2000 -- Sandusky showers with a young boy and tries to touch his genitals during overnight stays at the coach's house, according to the now 24-year-old man's testimony to the grand jury.

2000 -- First eyewitness report. Tim Calhoun, a janitor at the Lasch Football Building on Penn State's campus, tells another janitor and his supervisor that he saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a young boy. The incident goes unreported.

2000 -- Second eyewitness report. Another janitor sees Sandusky and a boy leave the shower room together and walk out of the building hand in hand, according to the grand jury report. No one reports the incident to university officials or law enforcement.

March 2, 2002 -- A graduate assistant allegedly tells Coach Joe Paterno that he saw Sandusky in the locker room shower on Mar. 1 with a young boy. The retired defense coordinator was engaging in anal sex with the boy, believed to be no more than 10 years old.

March 3, 2002 -- Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley. Paterno tells Curley the grad student had seen Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy." The graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Schultz.

March 3, 2002 -- The assistant, according to the grand jury report, sticks by his story, saying he saw Sandusky having anal sex with the young boy. Schultz, 62, and Curley, 57, told the grand jury they could not remember the details of the meeting. Schultz said Sandusky "might have inappropriately grabbed the young boy's genitals during wrestling," and Curley said he was under the impression, like Schultz, that the affair involved little more than "horsing around."

March, 2002 -- Sandusky's locker room keys are confiscated, and he is told not to bring his Second Mile participants to campus. The incident is not reported to police, and no official investigation is launched.

March, 2002 -- The Second Mile learns of the shower incident through Penn State. Curley tells them that "the information had been internally reviewed, and that there was no finding of wrongdoing."

2005 or 2006 -- Sandusky allegedly befriends and molests another Second-Mile participant. These allegation will form the foundation of the multi-year grand jury investigation about to launch.

2006 or 2007 --Fourth known eyewitness report. A wrestling coach at a high school where Sandusky volunteers surprises the former coach and a young boy. The two are allegedly "lying on their sides, in physical contact, face to face on a mat." Sandusky jumps to feet, telling the coach the two were practicing wrestling moves, which seemed believable. Later, according to the wrestling coach's testimony, Sandusky begins to spend more time with the boy, taking him to sporting events and giving him gifts like a computer, golf clubs, clothing and cash. Sandusky allegedly performs oral sex on the boy over 20 times, and boy performs oral sex on Sandusky at least once, according to grand jury reports.

2008 -- The boy breaks off contact with Sandusky, and his mother calls the high school to report her son has been sexually assaulted. The principal, Steven Turchetta, bars Sandusky from campus and reports the incident to police, calling Sandusky "clingy" and "needy" around the boy. The resulting investigation into the sex abuse claims reveals 118 calls from Sandusky's home phone and cell phone to the boy's home number.

November 2008 -- Sandusky informs The Second Mile that he is under investigation. He is removed from all program activities involving children.

September 2010 -- Sandusky retires from The Second Mile.

Nov. 4, 2011 -- The grand jury report is released.

Nov. 5, 2011 -- Authorities arrest Sandusky. He is charged with seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and numerous other charges, including aggravated indecent assault, corruption of minors and endangering the welfare of a child. He is charged with 40 counts n all, 21 of them felonies. Punishment for each of the felonies ranges from seven to 20 years in prison and $15,000-$25,000 in fines. For the 19 misdemeanors, convictions earn two to five years' imprisonment and $5,000-$10,000 in fines.

Nov. 5, 2011 -- Sandusky is freed on $100,000 unsecured bail. Curley and Schultz are each charged with one count of felony perjury for lying to grand jury investigators, and one count of failure to report abuse allegations. They plead not guilty.

Nov. 6, 2011 -- Curley is granted administrative leave to deal with the charges, while Schultz retires.

Nov. 6, 2011 -- Paterno releases a statement calling the charges shocking. "If this is true, we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families." Paterno is questioned about the allegations, since 20 of the charges agaisnt Sandusky to date occured while he was Paterno's defense coordinator at Penn State.

Nov. 7, 2011 -- More begin to step forward. "There were whispers about it," Alex Ricker, a former Penn State student who has worked several Second Mile camps, told USA Today. "But when it came out, I don't think anybody expected that big of a hit or that serious of an indictment, as well as that many charges."

Nov. 7, 2011 -- Pennsylvania attorney general Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the sexual abuse investigation involving his former assistant coach, despite noting his responsibility to report the incidents to law enforcement.

Nov. 7, 2011 -- "I understand that people are upset and angry, but let's be fair and let the legal process unfold," Paterno says in a statement. "In the meantime, I would ask all Penn Staters to continue to trust in what that name represents, continue to pursue their lives every day with high ideals and not let these events shake their beliefs nor who they are."

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

I don't mean to be that guy, but Penn State did not violate any NCAA rules (to my knowledge). They broke a crap-ton of laws, and about half of the athletic department is probably guilty of obstruction of justice, but I don't think they deserve NCAA sanctions.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

21. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm absolutely positive there's a rule about using university athletics resources in the commission of a crime. I could be wrong but with everything else the NCAA regulates I don't see how there couldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Hes done. Plain and simple.

And no, I don't think the NCAA gets involved at this time. This is a law enforcement matter.
    Why should Paterno be forced to retire if this is not an NCAA issue? There have been no charges pressed against him.

Either this is an NCAA issue or it is not, and if you think it is not, then I don't understand why you think Paterno should be fired.

Personally, I think he should be fired, and I think it should be a NCAA issue.

March 2, 2002 -- A graduate assistant allegedly tells Coach Joe Paterno that he saw Sandusky in the locker room shower on Mar. 1 with a young boy. The retired defense coordinator was engaging in anal sex with the boy, believed to be no more than 10 years old.

March 3, 2002 -- Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley. Paterno tells Curley the grad student had seen Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy." The graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Schultz.

March 3, 2002 -- The assistant, according to the grand jury report, sticks by his story, saying he saw Sandusky having anal sex with the young boy. Schultz, 62, and Curley, 57, told the grand jury they could not remember the details of the meeting. Schultz said Sandusky "might have inappropriately grabbed the young boy's genitals during wrestling," and Curley said he was under the impression, like Schultz, that the affair involved little more than "horsing around."

March, 2002 -- Sandusky's locker room keys are confiscated, and he is told not to bring his Second Mile participants to campus. The incident is not reported to police, and no official investigation is launched.

March, 2002 -- The Second Mile learns of the shower incident through Penn State. Curley tells them that "the information had been internally reviewed, and that there was no finding of wrongdoing."
    How is this stretch not an NCAA issue under lack of institutional control? A boy got raped in a NCAA locker room, the athletic director and head coach of a Division 1 football program were told and they didn't call the cops.

In the end though, what happens with the NCAA isn't that important maybe sad that they wouldn't try to police it, but not that important. We just have to hope the courts are able to put everyone away that deserves to be put away.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-08-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Lots of confusing stuff going on right now. PSU cancels the presser, rumors that Paterno was asked to retire and said no and then the board voted him out. Now he is apparently setting up his own off site press conference.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That's what I was trying to figure out. If I witnessed that, the LEAST that's going to happen is I'm grabbing this guy and throwing him against the nearest wall.
    Repeatedly until one of us is unconscious.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

These charges are very serious and disturbing, and everyone at the university should be removed, including Joe Paterno, but what bothers me is just how badly the media wants Paterno to be out of Penn State. This is something that's been boiling for years and they've been trying to get him out for years, they've finally gotten a reason to get him out of there.

I'm not trying to cover the bigger issue which are the disturbing charges, and if true the scumbags involved should get a long jail sentence, but this is a little ridiculous the hatred towards Joe Paterno, unless things change in that regard.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess Paterno had a press conference from his home window recently.

https://twitter.com/#!/PeteThamelNYT...48090616373250