Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

Yes, but Luck has been such a golden calf til now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with him I think.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but Luck has been such a golden calf til now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out with him I think.
    He knew this year he would be under the microscope. Simms took a few shots at him, now people are poking holes in his game (as is typical at this juncture). I'm not the least bit concerned.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, Big Roy as in Roy Hibbert. And I agree with him. Peyton is still a Colt, and most likely Andrew Luck will not have be as good as him...ever.
    So what if Luck isn't quite as good as arguably the greatest quarterback of all time? That's one of hell of a bar to be slightly under.

Peyton can't play forever. At some point, we have to start thinking about his successor.

We're actually questioning the arm strength of a guy who threw an 81-yard TD pass?

Luck is also showing the ability to lead his team late in games, ala Peyton.

He's the real deal, folks.

Wasn't trying to question it per say, just bringing up what has been an odd criticism IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arm strength is probably the single most overrated attribute a QB can have. Think about it really, how many times does a QB REALLY air it out in a season? 10? Maybe 12? The throws that matter are the ones that keep the chains moving, threading the needle, placing the ball just over the receiver's shoulder, knowing when to dart it in there and when to loft it and let your receiver go get it. Arm strength is a nice weapon to have but by no means is it an indicator of guaranteed success at the NFL or any other level.

Yeah, but arm strength is about a lot more than just a deep route. I mean think about how much ground the ball is covering on just a simple ten yard out route. That's why everyone always gets on Kellen Moore's case.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yeah, but arm strength is about a lot more than just a deep route. I mean think about how much ground the ball is covering on just a simple ten yard out route. That's why everyone always gets on Kellen Moore's case.
    Thats exactly right but I question if thats a real concern of Luck. Tossing a hard ball to an average reciever can cause a drop just as easily as a soft miss placed throw.

LUck has good TE's and very average wr's and I wonder if he's just taking some pop off his throw to help his wr's.

For the record, I'm not personally suggesting that Luck does not have a good arm.

Here is a video of him falling down and throwing it 50 yards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMz9n...eature=related

and how could you not like a Qb who can cause a fumble???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5STc2_bM7k
    Last edited by Gamble1; 11-07-2011 at 01:18 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would think that arm strength means more than just flinging it 90 yrds. How about still being able to make the crisp accurate pass late in the 4th quarter of the 9th game of a tough season.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Arm strength isn't about how far you can throw it. It's about the trajectory of your passes and the time the ball is in the air.

The more velocity you throw with, the less air you put under the ball, which means the ball takes a more direct path to it's intended target.

streets ahead

Two items worth posting from Peter King's MMQB from today.

Speaking of Andrew Luck ... I'm going to be writing about my conversation with Mike Mayock at the top of Tuesday's column -- he's going to start his NFL Network season as the color man alongside Brad Nessler Thursday in San Diego -- but I wanted to pass along one story he told me about Luck before then. Two summers ago, Mayock, who works at the Manning Passing Academy in Louisiana for a week every summer, told me he was standing next to Peyton Manning, watching a relatively unfamous Andrew Luck throw at the camp. "He's one of 25 college kids in shorts, just throwing,'' Mayock said. "Watching his throw, it still looked like he was warming up, and he threw a deep comeback.'' Mayock watched the throw and wondered if he was still warming up, or was that how Luck actually threw the ball? And Manning said, "But it gets there.'' And that's the thing with Luck. Mayock echoed Phil Simms, saying he doesn't have a howitzer, but the ball gets where it needs to go, and it gets there on time. More with Mayock tomorrow.
    Living History: The Ryan Leaf story

I interviewed Ryan Leaf for my podcast the other day (iTunes or SI.com), and it brought back lots of memories about the 1998 draft, when Peyton Manning was the first pick, by Indianapolis, and Leaf the second, by San Diego. And you know the rest. Manning's had a Hall of Fame career, and Leaf was a major bust in five seasons with San Diego, Tampa Bay and Dallas.

I got this reaction from a few of you about the Leaf Podcast: Who cares? He's irrelevant.

Not really. It's one of the most fascinating stories in recent football history, and with the fervor over the potential star-studded 2012 quarterback draft class, I thought I would take you back to the month before the 1998 draft. That May, I took a VHS tape of 30 plays from Manning's 1997 season with Tennessee and 30 plays from Leaf's last season with Washington State. I sat down with six men, independent of each other, and showed them the 60 plays, and asked each who they would pick.

The six: brilliant offensive innovator Sid Gillman (since deceased), coach Mike Shanahan, analyst and former quarterback Phil Simms, then-Tampa Bay personnel czar Jerry Angelo, former 49er coach Bill Walsh and UCLA coach Bob Toledo, who had faced both quarterbacks in their college careers.

Now people look back and wonder, How could the Colts have had a second thought about who to pick? It had to be Manning, all the way. In spring 1998, the new ESPN The Magazine had a big story about which quarterback would turn out better in the NFL and said about Leaf: "He possesses an 'I don't give a crap' attitude that has proven essential to Super Bowl quarterbacks from Stabler to McMahon to Favre. Come 2018, Ryan Leaf, not Manning, will be strutting up to a podium in Canton.' '' It's easy to shake your head at that now, but there was a real debate.

Points from my SI story the week before the 1998 draft that I find interesting today:

* Sid Gillman, 86, watching tape of Manning throwing a look-one-way-throw-the-other screen against Mississippi: "Now this is a pro quarterback. Is that a beautiful throw, or is that a beautiful throw? I'd draft this kid in a second."

* Walsh said he wouldn't take either player with the first pick, though he favored Manning ... and said he had a better arm than Johnny Unitas. "I don't see Favre or Elway. I see those guys on the next level. But Manning seems to be more pro-ready than Leaf ... I'd pick another top player, and then I'd take [Michigan quarterback] Brian Griese in the second round. I think he could have the tools to be special."

* Simms was incredulous when the question about Manning's questionable arm strength was posed. "His arm's plenty good. You know how many times Drew Bledsoe really aired it out last year? I mean, 50, 60 yards in the air? Five. Ten, maybe. In the NFL, you make your living throwing the intermediate pass, and look at how many good intermediate throws we're seeing Peyton make."

* The same red off-the-field flags the Colts saw about Leaf, Angelo saw as Leaf's weight ballooned to 261 at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I was at the combine for the weigh-in," said Angelo, "and it really surprised me. Here's what could be the biggest day of your life, the day you're going to expose yourself to your future employers for the first time, and you show up out of shape and overweight. To me, that's a signal. The quarterback has to be the CEO of your team. You have to trust him. I'd have some hard questions if that happened and we were going to pick him."

* Gillman on Leaf's pass drop and release: "He's way too slow. This is the age of the blitzer in the NFL. He'd better get coached out of that in a hurry."

* Angelo on Manning, sounding eerily prescient: "He'll handle the inferno of going to a 3-13 team. He's a sure player."

Interesting note from Leaf on the podcast: He regularly texts Manning, and he says Manning has been a big supporter of his through some of his worst times. Leaf had a golf-ball-sized tumor removed from the base of his brain in May, and later this month he'll begin six weeks of radiation to neutralize what couldn't be surgically removed. The tumor was benign.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He has meant more to sports in Indianapolis than any one person ever has. I don't say that as hyperbole either. Man, I really hope we see him in a Colts uniform again. I hope for his sake he plays again. I'd love to see him tutor Luck for one year and then retire into the sunset as one of the greatest to ever play the game. That's the best case scenario we can hope for. He deserves a farewell like Reggie got.
    He will certainly get a huge farewell whenever that happens. As a city and state, we have been fortunate to have him so many years as QB.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

BTW, sort of off topic, but anyone notice the strange trend on ESPN this weekend of a few people questioning Luck's arm strength? I thought it was a little odd.
    Isn't that what they said of a QB coming out of Tennessee in 98?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca