Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

Default ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/11/...f-they-drafted

ESPN: Peyton Manning Would Leave Colts 'Peacefully' If They Drafted Andrew Luck

It's rare we get this much pre-game news about the Colts that has little or nothing to do with the game itself. But, with today's bombshell article from Bob Kravitz on Chris Polian and the reports from ESPN (via Laura Calaway at Coltzilla) that Peyton Manning would walk away (or be traded) from the Colts 'peacefully' if the team drafted Andrew Luck No. 1 overall in the 2012 NFL Draft, it's kind of crazy around here.

Here are Laura's Tweets from earlier this morning:

ESPN NFL Sunday Countdown: If #Colts took Luck, #Manning would believe Luck should start, so he (#18) would leave peacefully

ESPN NFL Sunday Countdown: Option on Manning is scheduled for March 8. Gives #Colts from March 5 to March 8 to trade him if they decide to

I personally didn't see this ESPN countdown segment, but Laura (who used to work with me here at Stampede Blue) is a strong source to follow on this.

Basically, according to the ESPN Countdown crew, they are confirming what Phil Simms said on Inside the NFL last week; the same Phil Simms Peyton Manning took a shot at in the media last week in an effort to debunk his assertion that Manning and Luck cannot coexist on the same Colts team.

Thus, if the Colts end the season with the worst record in the NFL, it is goodbye Peyton, healthy or not.

Lots to chew on there. Please do so until kick-off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

Undertone: Peyton Manning will retire.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ESPN: Manning would leave Colts "Peacefully" if they drafted Andrew Luck

Not necessarily he could be traded meaning he wouldn't fight Luck for the starting position.

Then again this is ESPN who's to say how reliable any of this is.

If Manning can play he'll play it just won't be the Colts. He loves football more than he loves this franchise(as any good competitor would)

Mood

This is just an opinion by ESPN. Not necessarily anything Peyton Manning has told them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Trading Peyton would mean other teams would have to believe he's worth the risk due to his health. Not necessarily something that would be easy to do because if his health wasn't in question, why trade him? Obviously, the Colts would have to go into major spin mode talking about how they are using Peyton's value to lower short term expectations and prospects to increase their long term prospects (because a 36 year old QB is obviously on the short side of his career no matter what).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trading Peyton would mean other teams would have to believe he's worth the risk due to his health. Not necessarily something that would be easy to do because if his health wasn't in question, why trade him? Obviously, the Colts would have to go into major spin mode talking about how they are using Peyton's value to lower short term expectations and prospects to increase their long term prospects (because a 36 year old QB is obviously on the short side of his career no matter what).

Those are all good points but a lot of people here think Manning may not even come back at this point let alone be healthy enough to get traded. I mean people here are on the Andrew Luck bandwagon as is it might not be that hard.

What would be hard is convincing the fanbase that they can put out a good team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can you really blame him? I wouldn't want to waste the end of my career on this ****** team, either.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Peyton is one of the elite few who has every right to **** his team over and request a trade.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Can we wait to see if we even get Luck before we start torching bridges?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

If it does come to pass, and we do get Andrew Luck, and we have to trade Peyton Manning, it will be an incredibly sad day to see him walk away. I almost don't want to see it happen, even though I know it would probably be for the best.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Losing Peyton forever would indeed be terrible, but I think Peyton is levelheaded enough to look at this from a selfish perspective. If he has a good defense to give him a cushion and some decent offensive weapons around him somewhere, he could win another Super Bowl if he can stay healthy for an entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Losing Peyton forever would indeed be terrible, but I think Peyton is levelheaded enough to look at this from a selfish perspective. If he has a good defense to give him a cushion and some decent offensive weapons around him somewhere, he could win another Super Bowl if he can stay healthy for an entire year.
    I would root for him in that case, but vomit all over the place if it came to pass.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Can we wait to see if we even get Luck before we start torching bridges?
    We're the only winless team left and people in the stands already have Luck Colts jerseys.. all you need is a match.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Did anyone else think it was disrespectful today to Peyton to see all of these people with the Luck signage and Luck colt's jerseys?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Think, we are going to be hosting the Super Bowl here in February, but that might not even be the biggest story in town that month. There will be weeks and weeks of hype for the Super Bowl, but once it's over the attention will immediately shift to the Manning decision that will have to come roughly a month later.

It's going to be crazy watching how this all pans out.

Big Roy thinks it was pretty disgusting to see all those Luck jerseys in the stands.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Did anyone else think it was disrespectful today to Peyton to see all of these people with the Luck signage and Luck colt's jerseys?
    Yes. I think it is a bunch of crap.

I am in the boat of if you get the first pick you draft Luck. However the Colts can easily not end up with the first pick. Even if it gets to the point where with a game or two left it is guaranteed they have the first pick it would be wrong to be wearing Luck jerseys.

Those Colts fans who wear Luck jerseys are the Colts fans people hate.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Big Roy thinks it was pretty disgusting to see all those Luck jerseys in the stands.

Big Roy= Roy Hibbert?

Yeah they're worse than the Colts fans who leave early.

And it adds to our fairweathered reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    If it does come to pass, and we do get Andrew Luck, and we have to trade Peyton Manning, it will be an incredibly sad day to see him walk away. I almost don't want to see it happen, even though I know it would probably be for the best.
    One of the saddest days in sports for me, for sure. Manning is seriously one of the greatest I've seen in any sport in my life time. I feel bad for him, because he should retire with all the QB records and way more super bowls than he has. He should retire the absolute GOAT at QB IMO.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    One of the saddest days in sports for me, for sure. Manning is seriously one of the greatest I've seen in any sport in my life time. I feel bad for him, because he should retire with all the QB records and way more super bowls than he has. He should retire the absolute GOAT at QB IMO.
    He has meant more to sports in Indianapolis than any one person ever has. I don't say that as hyperbole either. Man, I really hope we see him in a Colts uniform again. I hope for his sake he plays again. I'd love to see him tutor Luck for one year and then retire into the sunset as one of the greatest to ever play the game. That's the best case scenario we can hope for. He deserves a farewell like Reggie got.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TV commentators took a mild shot at the Indy fans for being on the Luck bandwagon (even showing a fan with a Luck Jersey, that was embarrassing) saying it was disrespectful to Manning.

I wonder what it shows if we take Manning's heir in the draft rather than trading that pick and getting players and picks we could use to give PM the line or the defense he hasnt enjoyed for several years? Were I he, I'd definately be looking to relocate. (assuming he's anywhere near 100%)

Oh, and although luck may have all of the physical tools, is he going to be anywhere near the onfield coach that PM is? Is he going to be able to direct an offense as easily as Peyton does? I kinda think some expectations of his greatness may be premature.
    Last edited by indygeezer; 11-07-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Big Roy= Roy Hibbert?

Yeah they're worse than the Colts fans who leave early.

And it adds to our fairweathered reputation.
    Yes, Big Roy as in Roy Hibbert. And I agree with him. Peyton is still a Colt, and most likely Andrew Luck will not have be as good as him...ever.

BTW, sort of off topic, but anyone notice the strange trend on ESPN this weekend of a few people questioning Luck's arm strength? I thought it was a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    BTW, sort of off topic, but anyone notice the strange trend on ESPN this weekend of a few people questioning Luck's arm strength? I thought it was a little odd.
    Controversy creates ratings. Thats what I make of it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ...there's always stories like that about all top draft prospects. Create interest....sell advertising.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..