Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

  1. #1
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,480

    Default Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Manning: Recovery "going slow".... will give another update in a month...


    Peyton Manning: Save draft pick talks for April
    Injured Colts QB dismisses talk of Andrew Luck


    Updated: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 1:03 PM EDT

    Staff Reports

    INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Injured Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning says it’s unfair to speculate about what the winless team will do with its draft pick in 2012.

    Manning made a surprise appearance in the locker room Thursday and said he wants to get back on the field but it’s up to the doctors.

    Reports have swirled about whether the Colts will pick Stanford University standout quarterback Andrew Luck in the upcoming draft. Fans have accused the team or even asked the team to continue to lose to get the first draft pick, in order to pick up Luck.

    Manning said the team has not historically discussed its draft strategy at this point in the season, and he sees no reason to this year. The Colts could win the next eight games, giving the team mediocre placement in the draft, Manning said.

    The appearance by Manning marks nearly two months since his last neck surgery. He said he thought it was reasonable to provide an update at this point, and he plans to speak again at the three-month mark.

    The Associated Press reports Manning said his recovery is “going slow” and he is waiting for his spinal fusion to fully heal.
    http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/col...alks-for-april
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Sort of depressing to think we might not even get to say good bye like we did with Reggie.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,351

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Maybe going slow for him but right on schedule for everyone else.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    I wouldn't at all be shocked if he doesn't come back, or only comes back for a few games before calling it quits.

  8. #5
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...t|IndyStar.com

    It's hard for me to read that and not come away thinking he'll never take another snap. I knew it was a possibility but it sounds more likely than I imagined. Really, really sad.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  9. #6
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,380

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't at all be shocked if he doesn't come back, or only comes back for a few games before calling it quits.
    If he does not come back we are so screwed even if we take Luck. Luck is a great prospect, but he is still going to be a rookie and the rest of the 52 guys on the roster have shown they are nothing without Manning.

    How we can think any rookie could step in there and keep this team at a high level is beyond me.

    That was just a depressing read.

  10. #7
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    As I said when this happened, I know two people with very similar injuries who are on disability now.

    If he comes back for an extended period of time at anywhere near 100%, I'll be shocked.

  11. #8

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    I don't see him coming back to the Colts.

    Ever again? Yeah I can believe that however I think the Colts personally are done with him either way.

    They want Andrew Luck.

    And if Caldwell/Polians return next season after this disaster? Manning is better off gone.

    I hope its not the last game I ever see him play regardless of where it is because he does deserve a real send off

  12. #9

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Colts could win the next eight games, giving the team mediocre placement in the draft, Manning said....
    Peyton is on some serious pain medicine.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  14. #10

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    what is going slow?

    the bones fusing ?
    getting the nerves to recover so he has arm strength?
    residual pain lingering?

    Combination of all three. What is most unpredictable is lingering nerve damage and muscle atrophy.

  15. #11
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Hmmm, Some of you are over reacting cause the media loves stories and don't care who they hurt to do it!


    My wife had a worse problem with her neck by far and she is allowed to do anything and I mean ANYTHING. It took 1 year for her to completely get a full 100% from her surgeon and we asked him what her limits are and he said there are no limits. She is good as new. She has a plate between 4 & 5 with 2 screws in each vertebrae. Also had cadaver bone installed to replace her pad. She has no ill effects and if she wanted to pick freakin boxing up she could. Just hope for a complete recovery for Peyton (as all people and surgeons are different) and see him back for 2012.

    added:
    Why would anyone give up on the greatest QB of all time at this point of rehab for a Luck of the draft is beyond me. Draft Luck? sure, then trade him for a Top DB and DT and get on with it.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 11-03-2011 at 08:01 PM.

  16. #12

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm, Some of you are over reacting cause the media loves stories and don't care who they hurt to do it!


    My wife had a worse problem with her neck by far and she is allowed to do anything and I mean ANYTHING. It took 1 year for her to completely get a full 100% from her surgeon and we asked him what her limits are and he said there are no limits. She is good as new. She has a plate between 4 & 5 with 2 screws in each vertebrae. Also had cadaver bone installed to replace her pad. She has no ill effects and if she wanted to pick freakin boxing up she could. Just hope for a complete recovery for Peyton (as all people and surgeons are different) and see him back for 2012.
    In many cases cadaver bone is eventually destroyed by the host immune system as foreign material. This depends on how foreign the cadaver bone is recognized by the host. So while your wife may be one of the lucky ones they do not all turn out 100%.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In many cases cadaver bone is eventually destroyed by the host immune system as foreign material. This depends on how foreign the cadaver bone is recognized by the host. So while your wife may be one of the lucky ones they do not all turn out 100%.
    Really, Seriously, you say this to me? Like I don't know this...Come on Man!

  19. #14

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really, Seriously, you say this to me? Like I don't know this...Come on Man!
    If you know this why are you suggesting that these things always work out? They don't.
    Last edited by speakout4; 11-03-2011 at 08:07 PM.

  20. #15
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you know this why are you saying that these things always work out? They don't.
    I never said these things always work out. You putting words in my typing. I am just giving a positive and said lets hope for a complete recovery for Peyton. Some are writing him off and he is in rehab.

  21. #16

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never said these things always work out. You putting words in my typing. I am just giving a positive and said lets hope for a complete recovery for Peyton. Some are writing him off and he is in rehab.
    We all hope for a complete recovery. We all want to see the old Peyton.

  22. #17

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm, Some of you are over reacting cause the media loves stories and don't care who they hurt to do it!


    My wife had a worse problem with her neck by far and she is allowed to do anything and I mean ANYTHING. It took 1 year for her to completely get a full 100% from her surgeon and we asked him what her limits are and he said there are no limits. She is good as new. She has a plate between 4 & 5 with 2 screws in each vertebrae. Also had cadaver bone installed to replace her pad. She has no ill effects and if she wanted to pick freakin boxing up she could. Just hope for a complete recovery for Peyton (as all people and surgeons are different) and see him back for 2012.

    added:
    Why would anyone give up on the greatest QB of all time at this point of rehab for a Luck of the draft is beyond me. Draft Luck? sure, then trade him for a Top DB and DT and get on with it.


    That's great for your wife so its nice to hear a success story but for me the Colts have far bigger problems than whether Manning is healthy because it really doesn't matter who's QB(hard to believe but true) this team has been exposed as a one trick pony(pun intended) that even Manning can't save(well he shouldn't be the only person)

    Manning or Luck it doesn't matter if Caldwell and Polian are allowed to be here next season and nothing else changes then yes this is pretty much the end of the Colts as we knew them.

    However Manning is 35 years old and had 3 neck surgeries if he weren't Peyton would you take that risk? Especially when there's the "next Peyton" in this year's draft?

    I get why they would consider trading Manning his age and durability are sadly in question. The Colts need to look to the future and really after seeing what life would be like without Manning its not pretty I don't want the Colts to be like the Dolphins and Broncos who never recovered when their franchise QB retired.

    But like I said it really doesn't matter who's QB at this point the Colts have far bigger problems that a QB can't solve. The ironic thing is if Manning were traded (assuming he can play) they would be doing him a favor.

  23. #18
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,480

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    I have no idea how close to 100% Manning can come back. If it's this year... it's doubtful. As for next year... it's possible... As for the season after next, the surgery could be better but he's also 3 years older.... so do those things cancel out? That assumes he IS going to continue improving and not plateau.

    So that said, thinking about the future shouldn't be out of the question. BUT... not only have the Colts' braintrust not really given Peyton a complete, playoff ready team game in game out, season in season out.... BUT they've put the team in an awful position for a new QB.

    Peyton is truly one of a kind. A coach on the field. A real team leader. This team doesn't have a real head coach that can teach and inspire. They don't have a team defense that can keep the game close for its offense. Special teams often more looks like anything but special (except maybe in a short bus kind of way). I'm not exactly sure what they do have when you subtract Peyton from the equation. Apparently they have a football team with the potential to go 0-16....

    wow...
    Last edited by Bball; 11-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,750

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    http://twitter.com/#!/JMV1070/status/132141889582415873

    JMV is starting to lean toward Manning never playing again, though he admits that's just his opinion and isn't based on any concrete piece of evidence. But JMV was the guy who broke the story of his second surgery, so I definitely pay attention to what he has to say regarding this. I'm sure he talks to plenty of people in the know who express their doubts about Manning returning.

    We're talking about the neck, which is probably the most delicate part of the entire body. Even if it heals this time, it seems like he would always be at risk for being one hit away from complete devastation. I want more than anything for him to play for us again, but him being healthy for the remainder of his life and enjoying his kids is the most important thing. I won't be surprised at all if he never plays again.

    Talk about an emotional "ring of honor" ceremony....

  26. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,480

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://twitter.com/#!/JMV1070/status/132141889582415873

    JMV is starting to lean toward Manning never playing again, though he admits that's just his opinion and isn't based on any concrete piece of evidence. But JMV was the guy who broke the story of his second surgery, so I definitely pay attention to what he has to say regarding this. I'm sure he talks to plenty of people in the know who express their doubts about Manning returning.

    We're talking about the neck, which is probably the most delicate part of the entire body. Even if it heals this time, it seems like he would always be at risk for being one hit away from complete devastation. I want more than anything for him to play for us again, but him being healthy for the remainder of his life and enjoying his kids is the most important thing. I won't be surprised at all if he never plays again.

    Talk about an emotional "ring of honor" ceremony....
    We need Kaufman to weigh in on this but I don't think there's much fear of this creating a chance of a devastating future injury. I think it's more along the lines of it's a slow recovery process and surgery doesn't come with a 100% guarantee it will ever be 'right' again. Plus, there is likely some range of motion issues to be considered that could affect a player who needs to see the field quickly.

    I suspect the main thing is that it's (an injury/surgery with a slow recovery time) occurring with a player whose age already has him near the end of his career. It wouldn't surprise me if it's still not 'right' next season, but actually still improving.

    The caveat that I wonder about in the devastating injury realm is not the place of the surgery but other areas near it. Does the fusion make surrounding vertebrae more susceptible to injury because the fusion area is now stronger than normal? Where are you Andy? Don't let us speculate wildly here!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,351

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm, Some of you are over reacting cause the media loves stories and don't care who they hurt to do it!


    My wife had a worse problem with her neck by far and she is allowed to do anything and I mean ANYTHING. It took 1 year for her to completely get a full 100% from her surgeon and we asked him what her limits are and he said there are no limits. She is good as new. She has a plate between 4 & 5 with 2 screws in each vertebrae. Also had cadaver bone installed to replace her pad. .
    Wow, must be married to twin sisters or something. Mrs. RWB had the same surgery about twenty years ago. C4 and C5, cadaver parts (from Georgia we were told) and a titanium plate and screws. Just so happens the Mrs. is one of the rare folks that is allergic to titanium. I feel sorry for her because everytime we go to a National Memorial (Holocaust Museum in Washington, Statue of Liberty) she sets off the metal detector with her neck.

    Anyway I don't really know how Peyton will turn out, but we do know he didn't have the same procedure (according to what's posted) that your wife or my wife went through with just the fusion. It is not my intent to say Peyton's surgery was simple and no big deal. Rather if I remember correctly much was being stressed about bone spurs and such rather than actual degenerative problems with the discs. So there is hope I would say.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  30. #22
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,750

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need Kaufman to weigh in on this but I don't think there's much fear of this creating a chance of a devastating future injury. I think it's more along the lines of it's a slow recovery process and surgery doesn't come with a 100% guarantee it will ever be 'right' again. Plus, there is likely some range of motion issues to be considered that could affect a player who needs to see the field quickly.

    I suspect the main thing is that it's (an injury/surgery with a slow recovery time) occurring with a player whose age already has him near the end of his career. It wouldn't surprise me if it's still not 'right' next season, but actually still improving.

    The caveat that I wonder about in the devastating injury realm is not the place of the surgery but other areas near it. Does the fusion make surrounding vertebrae more susceptible to injury because the fusion area is now stronger than normal? Where are you Andy? Don't let us speculate wildly here!
    Good points.

    I guess what has be worried is the fact that he got a surgery on this in February 2010 which fixed him enough to play last season. But then it became messed up again at some point, requiring the two surgeries in the off-season. So it seems to me like there is always going to be a decent risk of it getting hurt again, even if this one fixes it.

  31. #23

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good points.

    I guess what has be worried is the fact that he got a surgery on this in February 2010 which fixed him enough to play last season. But then it became messed up again at some point, requiring the two surgeries in the off-season. So it seems to me like there is always going to be a decent risk of it getting hurt again, even if this one fixes it.
    From my understanding it was the least invasive surgery he could get without the fusion. From the papers I have read the fusion for his condition has the highest success rate of his neck injury. From what I gahter it promotes the best environment for nerve regeneration by removing the bulging disc that pinches the nerves causing the numbness.

    The surgery in Feb from what we know had worked but he reinjuried his neck throwing balls in the summer. Its all sepculation but we do know that 4 NFL Qbs have had this surgery and comeback to play. My bet is that he will to given time.

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In many cases cadaver bone is eventually destroyed by the host immune system as foreign material. This depends on how foreign the cadaver bone is recognized by the host. So while your wife may be one of the lucky ones they do not all turn out 100%.
    In everything I have read this is really rare with bone grafts. The development of immune suppressant drugs and the fact that the bone has very little for the host to react to being dead matrix tissue. ITs more likely for the graft not to fuse than it is to be rejected. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21290204

    Again this is a 95% success rate surgery so the likely hood of him coming back is strong. IF he doesn't come back it has more to do with his nerve symptoms than some strong likelyhood of him being reinjuried or paralyzed for life by getting on the field again.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 11-04-2011 at 11:45 AM.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  33. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,480

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    I thought I read Peyton used a piece of bone from his own body because that was supposed to heal quicker or have a higher success rate... or something... Anyway, somewhere I heard he didn't use a cadaver bone...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  34. #25

    Default Re: Manning: Recovery "going slow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought I read Peyton used a piece of bone from his own body because that was supposed to heal quicker or have a higher success rate... or something... Anyway, somewhere I heard he didn't use a cadaver bone...
    Your right it was reported on a couple of sites it was from his hip.

Similar Threads

  1. Kravitz: Injury rehab will keep Manning on camp sideline
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
  2. Working out with Vols keeps Manning young
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
  3. Jared Lorenzen Should be Our Starter
    By naptownmenace in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 11:42 PM
  4. Peyton: It was a Dirt Play.
    By realtyczar in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 06:39 PM
  5. ESPN Insider articles on Manning
    By Suaveness in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •