Thread: New Shaq book shines some insight on the Shaq/Kobe feud

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New Shaq book shines some insight on the Shaq/Kobe feud

Very interesting reading. I may have to pick this up:

So I'm on edge because I don't have a new deal, and Kobe is on edge because he might be going to jail, so we're taking it out on each other. Just before the start of the '03-'04 season the coaching staff called us in and said, "No more public sparring or you'll get fined." ... Phil was tired of it. Karl Malone and Gary Payton were sick of it. ... So what happens? Immediately after that Kobe runs right out to Jim Gray and does this interview where he lets me have it. He said I was fat and out of shape. He said I was milking my toe injury for more time off, and the injury wasn't even that serious. (Yeah, right. It only ended my damn career.) He said I was "lobbying for a contract extension when we have two Hall of Famers playing pretty much for free." I'm sitting there watching this interview and I'm gonna explode. Hours earlier we had just promised our coach we'd stop. It was a truce broken. I let the guys know, "I'm going to kill him."
    Kobe stands up and goes face-to-face with me and says, "You always said you're my big brother, you'd do anything for me, and then this Colorado thing happens and you never even called me." I did call him. ... So here we are now, and we find out he really was hurt that we didn't stand behind him. That was something new. I didn't think he gave a rat's *** about us either way. "Well, I thought you'd publicly support me, at least," Kobe said. "You're supposed to be my friend."

Brian Shaw chimed in with "Kobe, why would you think that? Shaq had all these parties and you never showed up for any of them. We invited you to dinner on the road and you didn't come. Shaq invited you to his wedding and you weren't there. Then you got married and didn't invite any of us. And now you are in the middle of this problem, this sensitive situation, and now you want all of us to step up for you. We don't even know you." ...

Everyone was starting to calm down when I told Kobe, "If you ever say anything like what you said to Jim Gray ever again, I will kill you."

Kobe shrugged and said, "Whatever."

From that day on, I was done dealing with Kobe. I was done dealing with Jim Gray, too. What goes around, comes around. When he got fired, he actually had the nerve to call me and ask me to help him out. What, did you lose Kobe's number?
    http://deadspin.com/5854904/

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New Shaq book shines some insight on the Shaq/Kobe feud

Wait a minute.

Stop the presses.

Jim Gray got fired? When did THAT happen?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a minute.

Stop the presses.

Jim Gray got fired? When did THAT happen?

better question is when doesn't that happen? That guy has done bball golf ect and seems to always have a different job every year. Last year he did the Kings games as the sideline reporter and the the year before he did golf. The guy is always getting the axe.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-31-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Gotta Play Big

Shaw just obliterated Kobe. I think I just found a little more respect for Shaq.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I detect a little spin....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I detect a little spin....
    A little? I'm no Kobe fan, but there's no way i'm taking any of this at face value.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    A little? I'm no Kobe fan, but there's no way i'm taking any of this at face value.

Agreed, especially considering that A.) Phil Jackson called out Shaq's lack of focus & conditioning that season in his book, stating Shaq was not at all hiding the fact that he waited until the season started to get surgery, and B.) Kobe seemed to be pushing pretty hardcore for Brian Shaw to get the head coaching gig in LA... seems like those two were really tight.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Agreed, especially considering that A.) Phil Jackson called out Shaq's lack of focus & conditioning that season in his book, stating Shaq was not at all hiding the fact that he waited until the season started to get surgery, and B.) Kobe seemed to be pushing pretty hardcore for Brian Shaw to get the head coaching gig in LA... seems like those two were really tight.
    Not to mention, but both Phil Jackson and Shaq have said that Jackson liked to start feuds with Shaq and Kobe, because it would motivate Shaq (Kobe didn't need the motivation.)

I thought Shaq was trying to play nice with Kobe. Or is that over because Kobe wouldn't let him go back to the Lakers.

As for Kobe snitching thing. To be fair to Kobe, that was never supposed to get out. It came off very much like a nervous reaction/spouting "I should have done what Shaq told me to do.." type of thing. Although, as a woman, I don't really care if its "Man code" how about..don't cheat and there's no need for man code.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Not to mention, but both Phil Jackson and Shaq have said that Jackson liked to start feuds with Shaq and Kobe, because it would motivate Shaq (Kobe didn't need the motivation.)

I thought Shaq was trying to play nice with Kobe. Or is that over because Kobe wouldn't let him go back to the Lakers.

As for Kobe snitching thing. To be fair to Kobe, that was never supposed to get out. It came off very much like a nervous reaction/spouting "I should have done what Shaq told me to do.." type of thing. Although, as a woman, I don't really care if its "Man code" how about..don't cheat and there's no need for man code.
    Feakin Phil, got to love his tactical approach
    Sittin on top of the world!

I'll say this much: Kobe cost Shaq god knows no much in his divorce settlement. Yes, the guy put himself out there by having so many women on the side, but Kobe had no reason to take shaq down with him by ratting him out in Colorado....

Kobe broke the man code. Can't blame Shaq for hating his guts, even if his book is obviously slanted.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'll say this much: Kobe cost Shaq god knows no much in his divorce settlement. Yes, the guy put himself out there by having so many women on the side, but Kobe had no reason to take shaq down with him by ratting him out in Colorado....

Kobe broke the man code. Can't blame Shaq for hating his guts, even if his book is obviously slanted.

Definitely still 100% Shaq's fault.

Had Kobe kept his nose out of Shaq's business, it would have been %100 Shaq's fault...

If every player ratted out a teammate who was having an affair on the side, there wouldn't be an NBA. Or an NFL. Or an MLB...

I'm sorry, but when you're pulled into the principal's office, you don't start offering random, unrequested dirt on a classmate for something completely unrelated that doesn't concern you. Nobody likes a snitch.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-01-2011 at 12:17 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Had Kobe kept his nose out of Shaq's business, it would have been %100 Shaq's fault...

If every player ratted out a teammate who was having an affair on the side, there wouldn't be an NBA. Or an NFL. Or an MLB...

I'm sorry, but when you're pulled into the principal's office, you don't start offering random, unrequested dirt on a classmate for something completely unrelated that doesn't concern you. Nobody likes a snitch.

A cheater is a cheater is a cheater is a cheater is a cheater is a cheater. 100% Shaq's fault.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Snitching is snitching, though. I know plenty of women who have done the same thing to spite other women.

The point is, you can feel shaq had it coming and call Kobe a gutless tool at the same time.

Kobe knew damnwell what he was doing. Shaq's name should never have been brought up during that interrogation.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

They both are at fault. If there egos didnt get in the way, they both would have 3-4 more championships
    Sittin on top of the world!

Ugh, why does anyone care? Bunch of prima-modanna douches.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

I can see Brian Shaw sticking up for Shaq. Don't forget they were on some good Magic teams together long before all this Lakers crap. the Shaw Shaq redemption was probably a pretty tight bond after all those years playing together.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Yeah I saw this and well as always Shaq talks out of both sides of his mouth one day he says this feud with Kobe was a marketing gimmick now he talks about how it was real(so which is it?).

Is Kobe a saint? No
    Is he arrogant? Yes
    Is he one of the best players in NBA history? Yes

I'm sure a lot of it is true but I always found it interesting despite how impossible Kobe is(and I'm sure in a lot of ways he is) that Phil still came back to the Lakers to coach him.

Oh and Brian Shaw came with him too.

And of course they won two titles without Shaq in the process.

And the real kicker: Despite being unbelievably impossible and the reason Shaq got traded(except really it was Buss not wanting to pay an aging center who was out of shape that much money then Kobe vs Shaq was the other part). Kobe is still with the Lakers despite all the drama(and that's not an understatement). In the end the Lakers won out and have a bright future and Shaq who when you think about it underachieved (for such a dominant force he should've had at least 6-8 rings)

Kobe lived up to everything he said he would and still has some good years left.

Shaq? People expected more from him on the court.

That being said this is an inevitable movie/ ESPN documentary waiting to happen.

Shaq talking about LeBron...pretty interesting what is written about Mike Brown, though.

Shaq: Cavaliers Allowed LeBron To Do Whatever He Wanted
    Nov 02, 2011 11:13 AM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal spent one season with LeBron James playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers and talks about their time as teammates in his forthcoming autobiography.

“LeBron was a huge star,” O’Neal wrote in the autobiography. “He was as big as I was in 2000 in L.A. when I was dominating the league.

“Our coach, Mike Brown, was a nice guy, but he had to live on edge because nobody was supposed to be confrontational with LeBron. Nobody wanted him to leave Cleveland, so he was allowed to do whatever he wanted to do.

“I remember one day in a film session LeBron didn’t get back on defense after a missed shot. Mike Brown didn’t say anything about it. He went to the next clip and it was Mo Williams not getting back and Mike was saying, ‘Yo, Mo, we can’t have that. You’ve got to hustle a little more.’ So Delonte West is sitting there and he’s seen enough and he stands up and says, ‘Hold up, now. You can’t be pussyfooting around like that. Everyone has to be accountable for what they do, not just some us.’ Mike Brown said, ‘I know, Delonte. I know.’ Mike knew Delonte was right.

“I’m not sure if Kobe [Bryant] is going to listen to Mike Brown [now Lakers coach]. LeBron never really did.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1cdaxTF28
    Thank you Jeff.

The personal stuff never interests me with these guys, although behind the scenes basketball stuff is fascinating.

Not being a Mike Brown apologist, but that was pretty much how things were in Cleveland from what I can gather. Problem is its worse when these 'superstars' don't respect you than it would be if they just got mad at you for getting on them. I think this is why Phil Jackson is such a great coach. I'm not sure he's some genius X and O guy, he just knows how to get to peoples psyche.

Lakers will miss Brian Shaw and him being the go between with Kobe, I'd suspect. Kobe seems to respect Shaw enough and knows that he cares about him to listen to some of the hard critical stuff.

I guess Delonte found out what happens when you call out the King.

I don't know if Mike Brown will have the same problem with Kobe as he did with Lebron. The Lakers aren't worried about Kobe leaving. Brown could worry about losing his job if Kobe doesn't want him there, but that's it. (And he'll lose it anyway, if he can't control his team.)

More:

"Somehow Kobe and I made it through the rest of the [2003-04 season] without any major issues. BShaw managed to get us back on track. It’s kind of funny when you think about it. All of these supposed Lakers leaders who care so much about the franchise, all these Lakers legends, none of them ever had the courage to say anything to Kobe and me. Not Kareem, not Magic, not Mitch Kupchak, none of them. Only Brian Shaw took us on. Yet when the Lakers job came up in 2011 they didn’t give Brian Shaw a chance by looking right past him. Go figure."
    Kinda makes me even more glad to have Shaw on board.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: