Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading him

  1. #1

    Default Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading him

    Well this ought to be an interesting thread and at him actually thinking Manning would be understanding about such a thing. I get his logic out with the old in with the new(the Niners did this first not the Packers they were lucky to get Aaron Rodgers that low in the draft) I mean really unlike the Steelers the Colts can't seem to win without Manning or is he too blind to see that as well?

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...rading-manning

    Dungy: Colts should draft Luck, even if it means trading ManningBy Marc Sessler NFL.com

    When former Colts coach Tony Dungy surveys the winless team he once led, he is reminded of his early years as a defensive backs coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

    Armed with an aging Terry Bradshaw at the helm, the team passed on a guy named Dan Marino in the 1983 NFL Draft and spent another 20 years searching for a franchise quarterback.



    Dungy believes the Colts need to look to the future and draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck if they have the chance.

    "I think you have to take him," Dungy told The Dan Patrick Show on Friday.

    Dungy said Peyton Manning "would handle it OK, because you know it's coming."

    "I would see him competing and playing as long as he wanted," Dungy said. "If it gets to the point to where, hey, he comes back and it looks like he's gonna play three or four more years, and you say -- we've got Andrew Luck, we've got an asset -- we trade (Peyton)."

    Trade Manning?

    Up until now, the mere idea of parting ways with No. 18 seemed impossible. But the Colts have wandered into strange lands, 0-6 for the first time since 1997, a disastrous season that netted Indy the top pick in the 1998 draft. They used that pick on Peyton, and they shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger again come April.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-23-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Update

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    I was listening and I thought he meant that Luck was a major asset and if it looks like Manning is going to play a, while longer, they can trade Luck.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was listening and I thought he meant that Luck was a major asset and if it looks like Manning is going to play a, while longer, they can trade Luck.

    Really? I just saw this on NFL.com so I guess he meant Manning.

    And really while from a business standpoint I understand it if Manning is healthy its wrong that he would be the one to go but not Polian or Caldwell or the rest of the coaching staff that can't seem to win a game without him there.

  4. #4
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,390

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Manning can still cover up for so many mistakes/deficiencies and gives us the best chance at getting to the super bowl.

    Luck, while highly regarded, hasn't done anything. On top of that, he'll be a rookie and won't be able to cover up for any of the deficiencies we have on offense or defense.

    All hinges on whether Manning is going to be able to play again. I'm fine with drafting Luck, playing Manning the next year and see how he is. You can always trade Manning if he doesn't quite look the same, or if he's just as effective, you can still trade Luck for a ransom.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Manning can still cover up for so many mistakes/deficiencies and gives us the best chance at getting to the super bowl.

    Luck, while highly regarded, hasn't done anything. On top of that, he'll be a rookie and won't be able to cover up for any of the deficiencies we have on offense or defense.

    All hinges on whether Manning is going to be able to play again. I'm fine with drafting Luck, playing Manning the next year and see how he is. You can always trade Manning if he doesn't quite look the same, or if he's just as effective, you can still trade Luck for a ransom.


    Yeah but we also need a coach worth a damn and a defense to go with it we don't have either of those things either whether Manning or Luck we aren't going to win an SB unless those issues are resolved.

    If Manning can play again and we get Luck I'd like to keep both and trade some of our aging vets for draft picks.

    Course this is all moot if the Dolphins end up getting Luck and yes I seriously think they are worse than us hard to believe but true.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    i agree with Dungy. Even with Peyton at his pre-injury level we don't have a super bowl team. We need to retool the O line, replace aging players, get some defensive players and more. No one wants to see Peyton go but Peyton could be a valuable asset to some team a lot closer to the super bowl than we are. We don't have any idea as to how many years Peyton has left.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:


  8. #7

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i agree with Dungy. Even with Peyton at his pre-injury level we don't have a super bowl team. We need to retool the O line, replace aging players, get some defensive players and more. No one wants to see Peyton go but Peyton could be a valuable asset to some team a lot closer to the super bowl than we are. We don't have any idea as to how many years Peyton has left.
    While that's true if Manning is healthy and can still play why wouldn't you maximize your opportunity to actually make an SB push?

    Of course we also need new management and coaching staff to get the best talent and maximize it and that's not happening anytime soon either.

    If it comes down to this it probably is a blessing in disguise for Manning because you're right even with Manning this isn't an SB team it was just disguised as one for the last few years.

    I just think of all the people to get rid of with this team Manning isn't the first option.. Caldwell and the rest of the coaching staff would make a great start...

  9. #8
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,390

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    If only we didn't miss on our first round picks over the past 4 or 5 years (some seconds too), we probably would feel a bit differently.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  11. #9

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If only we didn't miss on our first round picks over the past 4 or 5 years (some seconds too), we probably would feel a bit differently.
    Team may be more talened but the coaching is still an issue

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  13. #10

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While that's true if Manning is healthy and can still play why wouldn't you maximize your opportunity to actually make an SB push?

    Of course we also need new management and coaching staff to get the best talent and maximize it and that's not happening anytime soon either.

    If it comes down to this it probably is a blessing in disguise for Manning because you're right even with Manning this isn't an SB team it was just disguised as one for the last few years.

    I just think of all the people to get rid of with this team Manning isn't the first option.. Caldwell and the rest of the coaching staff would make a great start...
    Truthfully if Peyton has a few good years left i would like to see him maximize those years contending for a SB. We would get Luck and some real assets for Peyton and in maybe 5 years look like a playoff team again. I want a QB who has 10 years or more to grow with this team..
    All those first round draft choices just wasted as well as many second and third. We do well in the later rounds but with guys like Brown, Hughes, Gonzales, Pollack,etc. we can't talk SB anymore. We have guys always going down and a injury list weekly that is much longer than our opposing teams.

  14. #11
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    409

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Trading Manning would be amongst the most insane moves any sports GM has ever made. Many knew exactly how bad this team would be without #18 behind center, and this season should have enlightened the rest. No other human has the ability to make this roster look like it belongs in the NFL. Tom Brady couldn't lead this unit to 6 wins.

    Unless Luck turns out to be a better QB than Manning (SPOILER ALERT!: He won't), this team has much bigger concerns than just plugging in another great QB prospect and collecting championships. And since it seems unlikely that those larger concerns will be handled anytime in the near, or even distant future, we better enjoy the success that only #18 can bring us for as long as possible.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  16. #12

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trading Manning would be amongst the most insane moves any sports GM has ever made. Many knew exactly how bad this team would be without #18 behind center, and this season should have enlightened the rest. No other human has the ability to make this roster look like it belongs in the NFL. Tom Brady couldn't lead this unit to 6 wins.

    Unless Luck turns out to be a better QB than Manning (SPOILER ALERT!: He won't), this team has much bigger concerns than just plugging in another great QB prospect and collecting championships. And since it seems unlikely that those larger concerns will be handled anytime in the near, or even distant future, we better enjoy the success that only #18 can bring us for as long as possible.
    Luck may not ever be a better QB than Manning in his prime but he may be better than a 36 year old Manning coming off neck surgery.

  17. #13

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trading Manning would be amongst the most insane moves any sports GM has ever made. Many knew exactly how bad this team would be without #18 behind center, and this season should have enlightened the rest. No other human has the ability to make this roster look like it belongs in the NFL. Tom Brady couldn't lead this unit to 6 wins.

    Unless Luck turns out to be a better QB than Manning (SPOILER ALERT!: He won't), this team has much bigger concerns than just plugging in another great QB prospect and collecting championships. And since it seems unlikely that those larger concerns will be handled anytime in the near, or even distant future, we better enjoy the success that only #18 can bring us for as long as possible.

    I agree but if Montana can be traded from the Niners anyone can.

    Not saying it will come to that but it could happen.

    I can't help but wonder what Manning thinks when he watches how this team is without him. That they can't win a game without him. Would definately lead me to question if this team really did their best to build around my talents.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    409

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Luck may not ever be a better QB than Manning in his prime but he may be better than a 36 year old Manning coming off neck surgery.
    Maybe, but does it matter? Do you think there is a QB in the NFL not named Manning that could take this crew of misfits on a playoff run? I don't. We have a laundry list of issues to solve before we are in any position to deal away the only person that has made us a winning program.

  20. #15
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    409

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree but if Montana can be traded from the Niners anyone can.

    Not saying it will come to that but it could happen.

    I can't help but wonder what Manning thinks when he watches how this team is without him. That they can't win a game without him. Would definately lead me to question if this team really did their best to build around my talents.
    I agree, crazy things happen in the NFL, but at least Montana had a decent supporting cast. Take any second stringer in the league today and put him at the helm of that 49ers team. I think that team beats our current Manningless Colts 99 times out of 100 games.

    San Fran could afford a downgrade at the QB position. They still had a ton of talent. What would we realistically get out of Manning in a deal? 5 draft picks? AKA 2 bad offensive linemen and 3 bad running backs under current management.

  21. #16

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, crazy things happen in the NFL, but at least Montana had a decent supporting cast. Take any second stringer in the league today and put him at the helm of that 49ers team. I think that team beats our current Manningless Colts 99 times out of 100 games.

    San Fran could afford a downgrade at the QB position. They still had a ton of talent. What would we realistically get out of Manning in a deal? 5 draft picks? AKA 2 bad offensive linemen and 3 bad running backs under current management.
    5 picks by a guy not named Polian, I'll take it.

  22. #17
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    409

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5 picks by a guy not named Polian, I'll take it.
    Unfortunately, I don't think that is an option.

  23. #18

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5 picks by a guy not named Polian, I'll take it.
    What if one was named Leaf?

  24. #19
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    I have a hard time seeing Peyton in another uniform because I think he would be largely ineffective elsewhere for at least the first season. As Reggie Wayne would say, "we aint no vanilla offense." Peyton's new teammates would have to be quite savvy to gel with him the first year, and Peyton doesn't really have time to waste. Hard to replace the years of chemistry he has with Saturday, Wayne, Clark, etc.

    Welp, good thing the Dolphins are going to get Luck and we'll just be having a classic defense vs. o-line debate come April.

  25. #20

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a hard time seeing Peyton in another uniform because I think he would be largely ineffective elsewhere for at least the first season. As Reggie Wayne would say, "we aint no vanilla offense." Peyton's new teammates would have to be quite savvy to gel with him the first year, and Peyton doesn't really have time to waste. Hard to replace the years of chemistry he has with Saturday, Wayne, Clark, etc.

    Welp, good thing the Dolphins are going to get Luck and we'll just be having a classic defense vs. o-line debate come April.
    Maybe it depends on where he goes I mean Grandpa Favre was fairly effective with the Jets until the last half of the season.

    And he almost took the Vikings to the SB the year after that.

    If there's a team that needs a QB to get them to the next level and Manning can still play he won't need to do nearly as much as he does here.

    But yeah I think the Dolphins will get Luck because I do think they're worse than us right now.

  26. #21

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading Manning

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if one was named Leaf?
    Sure and what if another was Mario Williams, Drew Brees, Joe Montanna?
    Hell we already picked a Leaf for the last few years.

  27. #22

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading him

    Well Dungy said he meant Luck not Manning(not sure I believe him)

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/71...ake-trade-bait


    Ex-Colts coach: Draft Andrew Luck

    Email
    Print
    Comments9
    ESPN.com news services


    Former Colts coach Tony Dungy says Indianapolis should draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck if it gets the No. 1 overall pick, regardless of Peyton Manning's good -- or bad -- health.

    "If Manning doesn't play, then you got your quarterback of the future," Dungy said on Sunday's pregame show for "Sunday Night Football." "If Manning comes back, is totally healthy, looks like he's going to play 3-4 more years, then they could trade [Luck]."





    AFC South blog

    ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

    Blog network: NFL Nation



    Dungy was clarifying comments he made on NBC colleague Dan Patrick's radio show Friday regarding Luck, Manning and the Colts.

    "I would see [Peyton] competing and playing as long as he wanted," Dungy told Patrick, citing the Bengals' recent two-pick haul for the quasi-retired Carson Palmer as evidence of a quarterback's value. "And if it gets to the point to where, hey, he comes back and it looks like he's gonna play three or four more years, and you say, 'We've got Andrew Luck, we've got an asset, we trade him.' ... I think that asset is too much to pass up, even if your quarterback wasn't all that happy about it."

    Dungy said Sunday that the "him" he mentioned in the trade proposal on Patrick's show was Luck, not Manning.

    Manning is currently rehabbing a neck injury that required two different surgeries this year, while the Colts were 0-6 entering Sunday night's game against New Orleans. There is some question as to whether Manning will return to the level of play that made him a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

    Luck, a Heisman Trophy candidate for the Cardinal, elected to return to school for his senior season and is widely assumed to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft.

    "I just don't think you pass on a great quarterback if you have the opportunity. If need be, you can trade it away," Dungy said Sunday night. "Hopefully they don't end up with that pick. But if they do, I assume they think Luck is the best asset to have in your pocket."

  28. #23
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading him

    The point is that once the Colts retool, if they trade Manning and not Luck, Manning will be too old. They same won't be true of Luck. Luck will just be coming into his own when the team finally rebuilds.

  29. #24
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    409

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dungy: Colts should draft Luck even if it means trading him

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point is that once the Colts retool, if they trade Manning and not Luck, Manning will be too old. They same won't be true of Luck. Luck will just be coming into his own when the team finally rebuilds.
    Unless there is a complete overhaul of management, which seems unlikely at this point, Luck will be too old before we rebuild as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 03:27 PM
  2. Tbird 2009 draft analysis: The War Room on draft night
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 5
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 3
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
  5. Why the Colts can reach the Super Bowl
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •