Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Indycar 2011- Lots to contemplate

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indycar 2011- Lots to contemplate

He's being given one of those jobs where he'll be in charge of basically nothing and have no real responsibilities. Hmmmm. Logistics. Wanna bet he finds a way to jack around with transporter parking? If he has any pride (HAAAAAAAAAAAA) he'll quit. Also an excellent article about the troubles with the DW12. Remember what I said about theoretical engineers?
    Last edited by DaveP63; 11-30-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: And now with more spew!!!
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

www.indystar.com

Terry Angstadt was replaced as IndyCar's president of the commercial division and Brian Barnhart no longer will officiate races as part of changes to IndyCar's management team confirmed Wednesday.

Angstadt, who joined IndyCar in 2007, will be replaced by Marc Koretzky, a staff member since May. Koretzky has been IndyCar's director of corporate business development.

Angstadt led the signings of Izod and Apex Brazil and IndyCar's international expansion to Brazil and China. He will remain with the organization through the transition, an IndyCar spokesman said.

"I don't have one hard feeling in my body," Angstadt said. "It was a fantastic experience."

Koretzky came to IndyCar from the 360 Sports Academy, an Atlanta-based company that helps collegiate athletes become better leaders. Koretzky, a University of Georgia alumnus, is a former consultant to Charlotte Motor Speedway, the NFL and the NCAA men's and women's basketball Final Four.

Barnhart will remain IndyCar's president of racing operations, but a new layer of management will oversee races.

Barnhart's role as chief steward came under fire this past season with decisions to restart the race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in August during wet conditions and to start the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix with a safety truck on the track.

Barnhart, who is recovering from wrist surgery, was not available for comment. He joined IndyCar in 1997 as director of racing operations.

IndyCar has not named a new chief steward.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...-Barnhart-side
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From good news to not so good news:

Newman Haas is closing up shop.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...r-newman-haas/

I think Hinch may end up at Andretti, and SFR should try and get Servia. That guy can flatout drive.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Hinch would be a great get for anyone. He can drive and he's a PR person's wet dream.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like SFR is going to run two cars next year, looks like full funding is possible. Drivers TBD!!!
    First driver announced......

NEWGARDEN!

Great pickup for SFR.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

He's going to be very good. We tested him at VIR for FBMW. I found him very polite and not a whiner. Dad is cool, too. Full disclosure, the test mule that he ran was thrown together at the last minute and never, as long as we had it, made it through an entire weekend without issue. I referred to it ever after as the mechanical a hole. Anyway, he was pretty unremarkable and didn't really press the car very hard so we passed on him. I'm pretty sure that most of that was the car's fault...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Just announced: Vegas is cancelled for next year.

I'm not surprised it's off the schedule but I am surprised it's off the schedule at this point. I either would've expected a knee jerk reaction and it removed from the schedule soon after this year's tragedy or else Indycar not make an official announcement until the complete 2012 schedule is released and give themselves plenty of time, or at least the appearance they tried to find a way to keep it on the schedule if at all possible. That way Bruton couldn't say they never gave the race a chance or tried to find a solution to honor their contract.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

So much for the engineers will find a way to make it work on the cookie cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    So much for the engineers will find a way to make it work on the cookie cutters.
    Maybe they could if the car was working as advertised to begin with....

...Not that I really think the engineers could anyway.... Those high banks will always be problematic for keeping the cars from wanting to step out.... even if the cars had no downforce. Then factor in the cars DO have quite a bit of downforce, matching chassis, and engines that might not be all that dissimilar performance-wise if the driver doesn't have to lift....

Heh... But what do I know. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I did make the Robin Miller Mailbag this week
    Last edited by Bball; 12-09-2011 at 07:11 PM.

------

-John Wooden

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Indycar is going to have to do something with its schedule. We know Vegas is out and Texas is still being decided (supposedly). Baltimore could be out too. AFAIK Indycar is contractually bound to run a minimum of 16 races for Izod (title sponsor). I'm not sure what the penalty is for running fewer... It could be anything from a dollar penalty to a complete voiding of the contract.

I think Indycar could make a go of it at Milwaukee IF they took over the promotion and/or farmed it out to someone with Indycar assuming the risk. AND run it as the followup to the Indy 500 as it traditionally always was. Perfect tie in and with the
    month of May and 500 as a lead in and built in race awareness for it. ...Probably get a lot of people in the general area who the 500 storylines would put them in the mood to go to the next race if it's within driving distance. And Milwaukee fits that bill. Shoot, promote the heck out of it at the 500. Offer ticket deals.

------

-John Wooden

Wheldon Crash Report Explored

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...eport-explored

Very interesting reading, if long...
    Last edited by DaveP63; 12-17-2011 at 07:26 AM.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...don-Vegas-race

Dan Wheldon's death: A 'perfect storm' of rare events
    Driver's head struck a post supporting a catch fence
    Barnhart and IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard stressed the promotion that brought Wheldon to the event and the sport’s largest field since 1997 — 34 cars — had nothing to do with the fatality. Nor did the banking of the track.

But it was other things such as the high grip level, the variable lines of racing that made driving relatively easy and the rare track blockage that Wheldon encountered.

“It was nearly unlimited movement on the track surface without restraint to racing lines,” Barnhart said. “There’s always been a limit. You couldn’t use the entire track.”

He called it “a variable that has not been seen” elsewhere.
    Wh Wh Wh What???? That's what high banking does... How can they say the high banks weren't an issue? If he wants to say it wasn't the high banking that killed Wheldon but instead a post then that's one thing (and playing semantics) but to act like the high banking has nothing to do with the 'variable racing lines', the 'pack racing', or that it isn't anything they've seen before... well...

Also, again, you could say since the accident 'only' involved 14 or so cars out of the 34 cars that started the race so starting 34 cars wasn't a factor might be true... if you're parsing words. But knowing you are going to have pack racing all that really matters is where the accident starts. If it starts at P3 then there's 32 cars that will potentially be involved in the 'big one' in Indycar pack racing. The higher speeds, propensity to get airborne, etc is a variable that makes it different than Nascar's restrictor plate racing.

By the same token, if you have 24 cars running and the car running P21 has an issue then you potentially only have 4 cars involved with a pack racing accident.

If you have separation then a wreck at P3 isn't going to take out 2/3rds of the field but without separation that's a real problem. And at the root of it has to be the high banking combined with the spec car design that has been (marring IMO) Indycar racing for sometime. Are they seriously ignoring that connection?

The only takeaway from the number of competitors is the more cars running in a pack the more cars that can be potentially involved in a big wreck where 1 or 2 people's mistake impacts everyone behind them.

Coming from TGBB, the man that wants a strung out start for the Indy 500.... It's kind of hard to believe he could think starting 33 cars on a 2.5mi flat oval needs separation but running the same type of speeds in general, in a pack, with the full field, lap after lap, on a 1.5mi high banked oval is OK.

Yes it was a perfect storm... A perfect storm of pack racing with mature spec cars that everyone had figured out, on a high banked oval, and not being able to dodge the Russian roulette bullet that they'd dodged too many times already. ...and apparently decided to ignore. If the report is to be taken seriously then it doesn't sound like they've truly yet learned the lesson they need to learn....
    Last edited by Bball; 12-17-2011 at 09:24 PM.

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...es-at-sebring/
    The topic of adding more power, as Griffiths reveals, has died down rather heavily within the series and the IndyCar Engine Committee, which should help to cement the boost and RPM levels teams will use once they begin testing next month.

“There hasn’t been any more talk of needing more power,” he said. “I had quite a long chat with one of my counterparts at GM, and we kind of concluded that to us, if we’re racing at Indy at 215 mph rather than 225, it really doesn’t matter as long as the racing is good. If the racing is poor, and we’re slow, then that’s obviously a problem. But if it takes us three years to get back up to 225, so what? At the end of the day, it’s a number.

“If the car is difficult to drive, that’s good. That means the good drivers will do well and the drivers that aren’t as good won’t do as well. If [the DW12] is right at its performance limit to start, what are we going to do with it for the next five years? We’d be starting off right where we just ended up with the previous car.”
    I might be convinced to agree if we're talking racing... But qualifying speeds need to show some type of technological advancement. You can't have the new car going slower than the old car, which was already slower than what a 20 year old Indycar could do if put on the track. Maybe this stuff doesn't matter at Texas, or some street course, but IMHO it matters at Indy.

Qualifying speeds and practice speeds will capture the public's (and media's) attention. In the race, those speeds might not matter as much to the public or media since the q number is already out there and the racing is what is important at that point. In fact, many of the fans tuning in or showing up will have been hooked by the q speed hype and IMO have no idea the race speeds are 10-15MPH off the qualifying speeds. I could be wrong about that but I doubt it.

What I don't think I'm wrong at all about is saying qualifying speeds cannot afford to be going backwards. Not now.

If this new car comes out looking ugly like it is and going dog slow in May then Indycar is going to have lost its chance at leaving the perception of dumbed down racing in the rear view mirror. Instead, they are going to solidify that reputation. The only national or international press they'll get will be the wrong kind of press. Like questions about how after having one car for 7 years the new model is slower, not faster. And asking how many years we'll be seeing this current slow car.

If the new cars were butt-ugly but fast, racy, beasts then few would think a thing about the looks. But butt-ugly and slow (contextually speaking), and 33 matching body styles, is not going to put Indycar where it needs to be PR wise. And in such a fragile state as it currently is, that's not going to be easy to recover from. Even if you had multiple type cars and it turned out the ugliest, weirdest looking chassis was the fastest it would be seen as cool and interesting. But a car universally seen as ugly (IE, not sleek and racy looking) running 1986 speeds is not taking things in the proper technical direction for the sport. It's not going to make Indycar look like it's a technical leader in anything as far as the technology of speed and automobile innovation goes.

Sure, safety has to be a factor but then so does the sport of OW racing itself.

If the 1986 car would have a shot at the 2012 Indy 500 pole then there's a huge problem. The pole speed was 216.828 in 1986.

But since they are talking about racing... If the racing is so important to them (and it should be) lobby officials to put the apron back on the track.

------

-John Wooden

That article highlights why TGBB had to go. He's full of shite.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

The official schedule has 4 ovals, 15 races (one shy of what IZOD is guaranteed) so a TBD is still in play, and the Texas Two Step is no more. Texas will just be one race again this year.

I don't think Baltimore has worked out it's financial issues so it's precarious although since the event appeared to be a success other than financial for the promoter, the city might try and find a way to make it happen.

The new car did not meet design goals and without finding 'something' soon will be perceived as a technological step back by many come May.

It's going to be an interesting year.

------

-John Wooden

Right now, the solution seems to be make the car heavier by adding ballast to get the weight distribution right. That is, until they put the gearbox on a diet...Of course, it could be the fact that it's a sportscar gearbox, not something nice from a company that has experience with open wheel gearboxes.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Beaux Barfield officially replaces TGBB in race control. One thing I found interesting was it's reported he just has a 1yr contract. He says blocking rules will be changing and to look for less blocking calls and more avoidable contact calls.

Randy Bernhard is confident Baltimore will happen even though the city has cut ties with the former promoter. Also, a 16th race at Ft Lauderdale appears to be coming as the season closer. Meanwhile, reports are that something is in the works with Milwaukee for a June race. I think it was June 17th they were looking at. Not the first race after Indy but close. It would be amongst a group of several races in 4 or 5 weeks time which IMHO cannot hurt with promotion for the series.

Versus is now officially rebranded as NBC Sports. If nothing else that sounds better as the exclusive (or semi exclusive) home of Indycar racing.

Has there been any new developments with the DW12?

------

-John Wooden

From what I've been able to gather, there's less engineering coming from the Dallara camp than I would have hoped. The teams are coping with it on their own. I kind of get the impression that the series might not be pushing too hard to get the weight issue corrected before the season starts. Kind of like they want to go through the year with it the way it is and see before they totally re-ballance it. That may be subject to change if there's more backlash. Engines are supposed to be on track, but AFIK, no one has seen the Lotus crates show up...

Should we start the official 2012 thread???

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I think Hinch may end up at Andretti,.
    Called it. Hinch is taking Danica's ride:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...sor/52474740/1

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks to Michael Andretti, Milwaukee is a go!
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...milwaukee-mile

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Double file restarts on big ovals returning to single file restarts....

Iowa qualifying changing format is interesting...

After a year of double-file restarts in the Indianapolis 500, IndyCarís new race director said today that a single-file approach is better.

Beaux Barfield said many drivers expressed concern about their location on the track when restarts happened. Being two-wide near where the pit wall at Indianapolis Motor Speedway starts is dangerous, they said. Thus, the change.

ďThey were right at sort of a draft and pan-out point in the vicinity of where the pit wall started,Ē Barfield said. ďIf they got forced over there, thatís dangerous.

ďThere were a few incidents that were pretty close (to happening) and many drivers brought that up.Ē

Single-file restarts will also be held at Texas Motor Speedway (June 9) and Auto Club Speedway (Sept. 15). All other events will utilize the double-file restarts brought to IndyCar last year by CEO Randy Bernard.

IndyCar also will make a change in qualifying procedure at the June 22-23 event at Iowa Speedway. While the format remains in a conceptual stage, Barfield said his idea is to have three qualifying races, with the top 10 in practice advancing directly to the third race.

The cars 11th and lower in practice will be divided into two groups for the first two qualifying races. The best in those races will advance to the third race.

ď(Itís) going back to the heritage of short-track racing,Ē Barfield said. ďWe want to try it and evaluate it.Ē
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...estarts-better
    Last edited by Bball; 02-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.

------

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Double file restarts on big ovals returning to single file restarts....

Iowa qualifying changing format is interesting...

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...estarts-better
    It's a great idea, but they will ***** up a storm.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Speedtv says some standing starts will be on tap somewhere in the season...

------

-John Wooden

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Watching coverage of yesterday's rain out at the Danica 500 it really made me happy to think we won't have to deal with the Danica hype at the Indy 500. Of course we'll probably be told several times that she's not there and why (has moved to Nascar, yada yada)... But that will be out of the way after this year.

Now, let's pray she never does 'the double' so the Indy 500 and Danica Over-Hype can officially be put to bed for Indycar.

------

-John Wooden