Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NBA draft prospects thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2012 NBA draft prospects thread

Just got done watching midnight madness of UCONN and Duke. Andre Drummond is a freak in a good way. Also Austin Rivers put on a shooting clinic.

pretty excited for the college season lots of great players and teams.

ESPN3 is your friend http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_...days/days-all/

post impressions of NBA prospects for this year here.

UCONN is my preseason #1 they are stacked.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-15-2011 at 04:58 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 NBA draft prospects thread

think thomas robinson would be available for when we pick next year (roughly similar to this year)? he looks like a perfect player as our player x at PF.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    think thomas robinson would be available for when we pick next year (roughly similar to this year)? he looks like a perfect player as our player x at PF.
    IMO if the draft was tomorrow maybe. But a lot can happen between now and then plus we dont even know where we will be picking. He would likely go top 10 to late teens if the draft was tomorrow IMO. But by the end of the season it is possible he could slip to the 20s or later if he plays bad or some other freshmen play well. He is an unknown IMO. He barley played last year. I want to see what he does without the Morris brothers and how he can play as a main option.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-15-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

the thing is, he won't need to play as a main option for us. what i like about him is his defense and his athleticism, and it's not like his offensive game is raw or anything. his jump shot actually looked quite good last season despite not taking many at all. he has a good first step for a PF. i think if he pans out like i think he will, he'll be perfect to put next to roy.

as you said, it's much too early to tell. he could flop with the increase in minutes for all we know. but he looks like a very good prospect.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    the thing is, he won't need to play as a main option for us. what i like about him is his defense and his athleticism, and it's not like his offensive game is raw or anything. his jump shot actually looked quite good last season despite not taking many at all. he has a good first step for a PF. i think if he pans out like i think he will, he'll be perfect to put next to roy.

as you said, it's much too early to tell. he could flop with the increase in minutes for all we know. but he looks like a very good prospect.
    Main option was the wrong word i meant just an option. I haven't seen him play enough to determine if i think he will be able to play at the next level and in a role that could help the Pacers.

The kid who I really like as a 2nd sleeper is the kid from Vandy Festus Ezeli. He is a senior and much like Roy Hibbert was a late bloomer. Didn't improve much from freshman to sophomore season but had a great junior season after getting more PT. He would be a decent guy to gamble on. He is a solid defender and a shot blocking presence and a good athlete for his size. He would be a nice guy to have to backup Roy for 15mpg. He was one of the most efficient player in college ball IMO last year. Reminds me a lot of Deandre Jordan. He is still a project his passing skills need work but he has the tools. also may I add he had never played organized hoops until he played at Vandy. He is progressing very well for how raw he is. I dont ever expect him to be good on offense a Jeff Foster activity type player who gets lots of offense of rebounds and dunks and put backs is likely the best he will get. He does have a few post moves that he just developed his junior year. But not nearly enough to be a threat yet. I would love to add a defensive big who has tons of room to grow on both ends.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-15-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Just got done watching midnight madness of UCONN and Duke. Andre Drummond is a freak in a good way. Also Austin Rivers put on a shooting clinic.

pretty excited for the college season lots of great players and teams.

ESPN3 is your friend http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_...days/days-all/

post impressions of NBA prospects for this year here.

I will take North Carolina and their 5 first round picks as my #1. All returning starting 5 and
    McAdoo off the bench.
    This will be one the best college ball seasons in a long time due to talent that avoided the
    draft.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Kendall Marshall.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tyler and Cody Zeller

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Kendall Marshall.

He might average 10 assists this year UNC is stacked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cody Zeller dancing to "You got it bad" with the rest of the IU team, while Oladipo sang the whole song, in a red hoodie and sweat pants will probably never be topped as a way to kick off a midnight madness.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Kendall Marshall.
    Did you see what Kendall did in the very first game after Larry Drew b!tched out last year? This was against an FSU team that was rated very for their defense last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhaTKn8oFg8

I love watching this kid run a team. He's the best passer and best set-up guy I've watched in a long time in the college ranks. I can't wait to see what he does this season. There was a report over the summer that he straight worked over Jordan Taylor (the all-american point guard from Wisconsin) at the CP3 camp. Kendall is figuring out how to use that 6'4" frame to score against other elite point guard, which is going to make him real tough to guard.
    Last edited by Shabazz; 10-16-2011 at 04:03 AM.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

Here is the thing about UConn. They finished 9th in the Big East last year. During most of the regular season, they weren't an elite team.

But then you look at the three tournaments they played in: Maui, the Big East tourney, and the NCAA tourney. In those three events, Kemba Walker played like an absolute beast. He won MVP at all three events. He was the offensive focal point. Everything ran through him. He put them on his back and absolutely willed them to victory in each tournament setting they played in.

So heading into this season there is this huge question mark about how UConn will adapt to life without Kemba. It isn't just a matter of replacing his points. People have to step up into new roles, including leadership roles. The offense probably needs to focus on the post players and no longer be isolation plays for one of the guards.

On the plus side for UConn, they play a cupcake schedule up until the Big East season starts. So they have some time to work out the kinks.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Here is the thing about UConn. They finished 9th in the Big East last year. During most of the regular season, they weren't an elite team.

But then you look at the three tournaments they played in: Maui, the Big East tourney, and the NCAA tourney. In those three events, Kemba Walker played like an absolute beast. He won MVP at all three events. He was the offensive focal point. Everything ran through him. He put them on his back and absolutely willed them to victory in each tournament setting they played in.

So heading into this season there is this huge question mark about how UConn will adapt to life without Kemba. It isn't just a matter of replacing his points. People have to step up into new roles, including leadership roles. The offense probably needs to focus on the post players and no longer be isolation plays for one of the guards.

On the plus side for UConn, they play a cupcake schedule up until the Big East season starts. So they have some time to work out the kinks.
    im really high on Andre Drummond and also think Alex Oriakhi will become a much better player playing his natural position at the 4. Lamb will have a break out season IMO and adding Ryan Boatright at pg who I believe won Mr. b ball in Ill will help him and Napier should be able to be good enoght because that team is stacked

I have UNC as my #2 like I said stacked really like mix of players on the wing and in the post. Mcadoo is probably my favorite freshmen kid has game. And Kendall should build on his season last year he really played great.

Florida as my #3 coach D is a hell of a coach returning a solid group and adding Bradley Beal.

UK as my #4 wow this team is staked so many good underclassmen but they are so young.

and Duke at #5 Coach K is brilliant they lost a lot but brought him some nice talent.

My sleeper team may come as a surprise Vandy. They are pretty lucky there was a lockout Festus Ezeli John Jenkins and Jeff Taylor all stayed they have a great team from top to bottom.

again JMO and a lot will change between now and March im sure all these teams wont still be my favorites to win come March but I like them a lot on paper.(but basketball isnt played on paper thank god)
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-16-2011 at 04:55 AM.

I'll take Carolina as my #1. Unlike every other projected top team, the guys they will rely on to win games have already proven themselves at this level and are not unknown quantities. UConn was Kemba last year, period. They will be good, but I expect them to struggle to score points.

Lots of nice big men coming out that can play the 4 this year. Perry Jones, Henson, Davis, Calvin Leslie, McAdoo, Mason Plumlee, Zeller (maybe two of these =P). If Jones, Davis, or McAdoo have a tough year, they could be on the board when we draft (if they declare). The other guys will be there if they play as projected.

I love Kendall Marshall, but he needs work before he comes out. His jumper is still awkward (as of Late Night With Roy) and I'm not sure he can stay in front of anyone. He's going to tear up college this year.

I'm not sure how I understand the idea that Oriakhi's natural position is the 4. He is an extremely raw offensive player. Meanwhile Drummond is the guy who possesses the ability to face-up, to take his man off the dribble successfully, and to shoot from midrange.

Drummond possesses more of the skills needed to play PF as a high school player than Oriakhi demonstrated all of last season. In terms of height, yes Oriakhi has better height to play PF and Drummond has better height to play center. But in terms of skillset and mobility, Drummond is a better PF than Oriakhi ever will be.

My top 5 to start the season would be UNC, UK, Ohio State, Syracuse, and UConn. I can't rank UConn any higher until I see that 9th place Big East team prove they can do something special without Kemba carrying them. Syracuse brings back so much experienced talent and they don't have to replace a guy who carried them to ALL of their success last year, so to me they are the favorites in the Big East to start the season.

As for Florida, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on Billy Donovan. That bball program has been in chaos the last few seasons. Lots of transfers and departures.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Throwing out a hypothetical out there this thread seemed the most appropriate to put it in. In the event there is no season what would the draft order be? Or would there even be a draft?

I am fairly confident there will be a draft. There may not be many quality players in it if no aggreement has been reached. You would have seniors and that is about it. Stay in school and get paid to work on your craft and maybe further your education until the dust settles.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

http://www.nbadraft.net/draft-previe...power-forwards

Good summary of the powerforwards available.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I am fairly confident there will be a draft. There may not be many quality players in it if no aggreement has been reached. You would have seniors and that is about it. Stay in school and get paid to work on your craft and maybe further your education until the dust settles.
    What would the draft order be then if there were no season? or how would that be determined?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

From Larry Coon

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...koutFAQ-110701

If the lockout lasts an entire season, what will happen with the 2012 draft? How will the draft order be determined?
    If the season is canceled and the sides come to an agreement by next June, the 2012 draft should go on as planned. The draft order will be a little tricky. There will be no season upon which to determine the order, and they can't just repeat the 2011 draft order -- that would "reward" teams twice for the same bad season in 2010-11.

The NHL was faced with this dilemma when it lost its 2004-05 season to a lockout. The league settled on a weighted lottery that included all 30 teams. The weighting was based on playoff appearances over the previous three seasons and first overall picks over the previous four seasons.

The NBA would likely adopt a similar system should the 2011-12 season be canceled. It would be a one-time occurrence -- the league would revert to its usual system the following year.
    So the answer is... TBA. It's something the league will figure out when it gets to that point.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    From Larry Coon

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...koutFAQ-110701

So the answer is... TBA. It's something the league will figure out when it gets to that point.
    Sounds like if it gets to that and it takes into account who had first overalls and who has made the playoffs the past 7 years if I'm reading that right then that should greatly benefit the teams who finished middle of the road so to speak not getting top 5 draft picks but not getting terrible ones either.

With that in mind a lost season for someone like the pacers carrying a lot of weight into the lottery in those circumstances, with a lot of cap room to mess around with would be pretty awesome.

I am dieing for some NBA basketball but I suppose NCAA basketball will help get me over the hump till that time comes.

Mood

TONIGHTS THE NIGHT!!!

So many good games tonight luckily most will be replayed on ESPN3

The Carrier Classic should be epic. Maui should be pretty good as well.

Anyone on Kentucky, or the teams that generally pay NBA-esque salaries to their players (here's looking at you, UK, UConn, Kansas, Baylor!). Also Kendall Marshall is intriguing as ****.

\
    The Carrier Classic should be epic. Maui should be pretty good as well.
    That atmosphere is going to be really neat, but I think UNC is going to handle MSU pretty handily. Not wild about Sparty this year. That being said, you can never count out a Tom Izzo coached outfit.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to watch a truly amazing PG, should turn on to watch the UNC and MSU game.