Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painter the starter the rest of the way

Default Re: Painter the starter the rest of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You also need to add bad coaching too
    Caldwell was the coach when this team went to the Super Bowl. He may not be a good coach, but coaching hardly matters much. You need talent and that's why we are losing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Caldwell was the coach when this team went to the Super Bowl. He may not be a good coach, but coaching hardly matters much. You need talent and that's why we are losing.

In the NBA perhaps but the NFL I disagree. Look at the 49ers pretty much the same team as last year but they have Harbaugh as coach and they're 4-1 last year they were 0-5 under Singletary.

The Lions after their 0-16 season got a clue and fired Matt Millen and got a better GM and a good coach to go with him. They improved every year to be a 5-0 team now.

Yes I think coaching matters because I think with a better coach we might've won one game by now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Coaching always matters. The role may be different depending on the talent and experience of your team though.

If you lack talent then you need solid coaching to give you your best chance to win (or at least be competitive). Game management was questionable under Caldwell before this season.

It's easy to blame the losses on the lack of Manning but haven't we had 4th qtr leads this season we couldn't maintain? We need a defense that can get a team off the field and not allow the other team to control the clock.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Coaching always matters. The role may be different depending on the talent and experience of your team though.

If you lack talent then you need solid coaching to give you your best chance to win (or at least be competitive). Game management was questionable under Caldwell before this season.

It's easy to blame the losses on the lack of Manning but haven't we had 4th qtr leads this season we couldn't maintain? We need a defense that can get a team off the field and not allow the other team to control the clock.
    I think teams are taking the night off against these Colts. They know Manning and half the starters are out...and they are just not that scared. The 4th quarter leads evaporating are the result of teams stepping it up when they need to do it. Could a better coach make a difference? Sure, but we are talking a nominal difference at the pro level unless we are talking the very cream of the crop. Indy's never had a great coach...

Edit: part of the talent deficit is certainly defense. Most of it might be defense. Our defense was thin at best before losing starters. Actually, Manning made our defense better than it is by keeping the ball moving and forcing the other team to play from behind. Sorry, but it is going to be a long season.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-17-2011 at 10:50 PM.

23/34 188 1/1 against the "#1 defense in the NFL."

Curtis ain't the problem. Hell, the players ain't "the problem." Not that there certainly aren't just replacement level players at a number of spots (namely the secondary), but the playcalling's so damn vanilla you don't really know who possesses a skillset to succeed in a specific package. They tried Hughes as a standup pass rusher with a bit of success the previous two weeks, did I miss that against Cincy? Those moronic 3/4 man fronts certainly weren't getting any pressure on a 2nd round rookie QB. Brown got some blocking around the edge on a run and SURPRISE! the guy's really quick and explosive and exploited some bad angles after a nice initial block and scored.

Hughes and Brown pretty clearly aren't every down players, but they aren't talentless losers. I realize there's basically been nothing in the playbook at all that's "creative" in pretty much over a decade, but it's time to come up with some stuff.

Painter has outperformed expectations. He's shown himself to be a serviceable backup. He has generally had us in position to compete or be in games.

On Sunday, though, he should have had two more picks than he did. One of them would have been a pick six. Threw it right to the LB, who dropped it. The other at minimum puts them inside our 25, the one Collie offensively PI-ed to keep the defender from catching it.So that certainly takes some of whatever luster there is off a 188 yard performance.

The defense is not strong enough to win, nor has it been for some time, without the complementary high powered offense. We're just reaping what the architects of the team have sown. Although they technically only allowed 20 pts Sunday. That's where the "serviceable" QB comes in. We're trapped in limbo with a mediocre, no margin for error offense and an underwhelming, undersized defense. Hence, we're 0-6 despite being right in most of the games.

At some point, we're going to have to spend some money in FA, we have so many gaping needs on D, especially corners, overall DB depth, and DTs. We can't make it all up depending on draft depth an young players.

I don't think trading Mathis or Wayne for 4th rounders really solves this either. Will one or both be gone next year? Jerry Huges sure looks read to replace Mathis, huh?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata