Thread: Theo Epstein to the Cubs?

Default Theo Epstein to the Cubs?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/70...bs-report-says

Report: Theo Epstein nears Cubs job

Theo Epstein is "on the cusp" of joining the Chicago Cubs, according to the Boston Herald.

The position may include powers greater than his current job as the Boston Red Sox general manager, the paper reports, citing two baseball sources.

Obstacles in the move include the Red Sox wanting to retain Epstein, or, if he does leave, wanting fair compensation from the Cubs, according to the paper.

"But this is going to be resolved very soon," a source told the Herald.

Epstein, who has won two World Series with the Red Sox, has one year remaining on his contract and the team has not said that he will get an extension.
    Wow Cubs fans should be excited if this happens.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Theo Epstein to the Cubs?

Ya im excited I just hope he turns back into the Theo of young. Not the guy who throws money around on mediocre players the contact he gave Crawford was absurd same with John Lackey. I think it is the Ricketts family just trying to show he wants too win many fans don't like him because he has said in the past like "Cubs fans will show weather we are good or suck i will make money no matter what i will make money". and
    Ricketts is 400m dollars in debt

Ricketts has said he wanted to focus on the farm system more and retooling it I hope Theo is the guy who can turn our Farm system around and get us pitching our pitchers sucked last year. But the team has so many holes we likely wont compete next year. Theo working with Tim Wilken should be a thing of beauty Wilken is the best scouting director in the Business.

I really wanted the guy from Tampa Andrew Friedman because he cares more about pitching but I will take Theo and hopefully Ryno or Francona as manager

But it sounds like Boston didn't want him back they could of stopped this I bet they though it was time to move on.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-11-2011 at 08:14 PM.

It's starting to look like it. Hope he has another horseshoe up his ***.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ya im excited I just hope he turns back into the Theo of young. Not the guy who throws money around on mediocre players the contact he gave Crawford was absurd same with John Lackey.
    Huh? He's always had a huge roster payroll. There's no difference in the amount of money they spent this season (160,257,000) and in 2007 when they won the WS (155,402,000).

I think P4E is thinking about around 2003-04 when he still had a decent payroll (top 5, like the Cubs have) but did wonders with prospects and diamonds in the rough like Ortiz, Youk, Mueller, Millar, etc. (OK, not all those guys are diamonds, but you get the point)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

Of those prospects, which of them are from the Red Sox farm system? Off the top of my head (as a Red Sox fan) I'm not sure any of them.

They were bought and paid for, just like the other 90% of the team.

The only key players on the Red Sox team, that they didn't just flat out buy is a couple of pitchers, Pedoria, and Ellsbury.

Theo doesn't put together a team through the draft with prospects. He buys them.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is and it's always been that way.

I guess I don't see the problem, though. This is the Cubs, not the Pirates. They can just go buy their players like the Red Sox did. It's part of being a big market team.

Also, just because those guys weren't in their farm system (Youk was btw and so were Papelbon, Pedroia, and Ellsbury like you said - seems alright to me), that doesn't mean he doesn't have a good eye to go out and get a flailing David Ortiz from MIN at the right time.

Would be nice for them to have a farm system, but they can do alright in the next few years without one if Theo gets the right guys at the right prices. That is all I'm saying.

There's no problem. I was just pointing out to P4E that Theo's history is all spending, not just some of it. There's no difference between old Theo and young Theo, outside of phsyical appearance. He operated the same way the entire time he was in charge.

Mood

Theo built a great farm system the Sox were in the top 10 in terms of farm system 3 of last 4 years. There farm system was near the bottom before he got there. To be a great franchise you need good player development a big reason Theo came was Ricketts plan. Ricketts spent 20m dollars in the draft and international signings a huge change for us. He also is opening a new facility in the Dominican Republic to get young talent. Theo reportedly was blown away. I expect us to have a great farm system and MLB team in 3 years I was skeptical at first but Ricketts has won me over.

He knew what he was doing waiting to fire Henry if he wouldn't of waited we would not have Theo.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-c...086&feedID=619

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2...-from-day-one/

Ricketts outlined his plan to build through the farm system while also spending wisely on the acquisition of veteran stars who can make an immediate impact on the Cubs. In fact, sources tell us that Ricketts is not opposed to spending big money on a star player, but for him to sign a mega contract the player must fit long-term with the organization. The acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez by the Red Sox is the type of player and commitment that Ricketts is willing to take on with the Cubs. He looks at Gonzalez as a star player, in the prime of his career and a player who is solid both offensively and defensively in addition to being a person of impeccable character. When opportunities like that come along he wants his Cubs to be in a position to make a move for a superstar. It was that willingness to spend when it makes sense in addition to the increased power and salary that will come with his contract that sold Epstein on Ricketts vision for the organization.

In addition, Tom Ricketts stressed to Epstein that the family was committed to the Cubs long term and that it wanted to build the franchise the right way. Not trying to quick-fix the major league roster to improve the record. Instead, he showed Epstein his plans for a new spring training complex, a new state of the art academy in the talent rich Dominican Republic, a long term plan for renovating Wrigley Field and thus increasing revenue streams that will impact the major league payroll. Additionally, Ricketts told Epstein of his family's willingness to spend heavily in the draft and on international signings which should translate to a rapidly improving farm system.
    If you are a Cubs fan you have to love this. Looks like Prince will be the guy we will go after IMO.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, Jed Lowrie, Jon Lester, Manny Delcarmen, Jonathan Papelbon all came up through the farm system. Other good home-grown guys like Hanley Ramerez (traded for Beckett), Anibal Sanchez (traded for Mike Lowell I think) were used as trade bait. Kelly Shoppach too.

an article on the state of their farm system: http://www.splicetoday.com/sports/re...-rich-in-depth

As a Reds fan, I hate this, because the Cubs will actually have a plan now.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, Jed Lowrie, Jon Lester, Manny Delcarmen, Jonathan Papelbon all came up through the farm system. Other good home-grown guys like Hanley Ramerez (traded for Beckett), Anibal Sanchez (traded for Mike Lowell I think) were used as trade bait. Kelly Shoppach too.

an article on the state of their farm system: http://www.splicetoday.com/sports/re...-rich-in-depth

As a Reds fan, I hate this, because the Cubs will actually have a plan now.
    Ya I was gonna look that up they are one of the most successful teams in terms of home grown players. I believe St Louis has had the most make it to the MLB league but the Sox were in the top 5.

The Central is wide open next year. Prince we be off the Brewers and Pujols could leave and either way will hurt the Cards If they have to pay him like he wants that could cripple them in future years.

I don't expect us to really compete for 2-5 years but really the central is wide open. Our pitching was so bad last year it would take a miracle to turn that around by just next year. But in 5 years I hope we have a pitching heavy system that way we wont have to over spend on mediocre free agent pitchers.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-13-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Obviously they're going to have some players on the roster from their farm system. Even the Yankees have players from their farm system as every day players.

Spending money has been the path he's taken in order to build a contender. There's no way around it. Just take a look at their year by year salary. There's no attempt to rein it in.

Hell, they spent $90million, or some outrageous figure, just to have the rights to talk to DiceK.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Obviously they're going to have some players on the roster from their farm system. Even the Yankees have players from their farm system as every day players.

Spending money has been the path he's taken in order to build a contender. There's no way around it. Just take a look at their year by year salary. There's no attempt to rein it in.

Hell, they spent $90million, or some outrageous figure, just to have the rights to talk to DiceK.
    6 all stars isnt just players from the farm system. That is 6 all stars built from within that you dont have to overpay for at least 6 years thats why it is a big key. Cubs currently only have a few homegrown players and Starlin is the only all star who is stilling playing at that level. And even his game is flawed the guy is an error machine we need more homegrown talent. We have one guy in the system who should make an impact next season and that's it.

Ya he has been **** in free agency. But his trades and building the farm system has been great. I think he will be more cautious with the money. I also think the Ricketts family will spend 130m to 150m if we are spending it wisely I still think he will be allowed to spend. The Cubs have 50m dollars coming off the books so we can spend this year I just hope we don't overspend especially on a guy who is old like Pujols it will be good for the first few years but would suck on the back end of the deal. Or on mediocre pitching that is available I hope he can work some magic getting young cheap pitching via trade.

But Theo wont have the pressure to spend like he did in Boston. In Boston he and his owner we competing vs New York and showing their fans they will spend almost as much as the Yanks. Both the Yanks and Boston spends blindly. Brian Cashman said he didn't want Rafaelia Soriono. But his owner wanted him so they got him. I think that happens a lot in NY and BOS. I just hope he never gives a player like Crawford that kind of contract in Chicago. We dont need another Alfonso Soriono.

Theo didnt have full control in Boston he will in Chicago. The only person Theo reports to is Tom Ricketts in Boston he had other superiors.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-13-2011 at 04:58 PM.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

So I just looked through the Cubbies farm system, man, pretty baren, Matt Garza's a nice SP but losing those prospects hurt. Gonna take some time.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So I just looked through the Cubbies farm system, man, pretty baren, Matt Garza's a nice SP but losing those prospects hurt. Gonna take some time.
    I didnt like the move at the time. But really the only good spects we traded was Archer and Lee. I think it wont kill us but I didnt like the move. Henery loved to do moves like that and it really hurt our system. Brett Jackson will be the starting CF next year Kenny Mcnutt may be in the rotation or pen. But after that you have to go to A or AA ball to find our good spects. Matt Szcuer is gonna be good was in the futures game. I like Zeke DeVoss and a lot of other player we got in this years draft. We took Dillion Maples in the 14th rd and paid him 1st round money he only dropped because they though he was going to NC. He was a 1st rd talent We spent more than we ever have in the draft our low levels should be really good next year. Ricketts says he is committed to player development and spending in the draft and on international free agents.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'm sort of a by birth Cardinals fan but never really been too into baseball. I obviously understand how the game works and all, but it's a lot more of a casual level than hoops. Family of Cards fans, etc etc, me watching a game with my uncle is kinda embarrassing, I think I know why La Russa's pulling a double switch so he can get a lefty reliever in position the next half inning, but yeah...that's La Russa.

Anyway, StL's made a bit of a shift since Jocketty left towards high schoolers and internationals in the draft and actually developing talent in house. Pretty big shift from the "not far off" guys of the past. Pretty clear it was done to get the payroll in order for the massive Holliday contract that's already in effect and Pujols's new zillion dollar deal, sorta a Colts style pay the superstars and keep feeding the system cheap young guys. StL can't spend NY/Bos money, but they can absolutely sustain a 100+ payroll as long as they're winning thanks to the gate revenues.

Anyway, that's not in regards to anything, jus'sayin. The Cubs are never good, but the way they've been run the last 5 or so years is just ludicrous.

Mood

We have the best front office by far in baseball now. Theo got from San Diego GM Jed Hoyer and assistant GM Jason McLeod if we dont win a world series under this front office we probably never will in my lifetime. I loved what Theo said in his presser yesterday about building the farm system and getting more home grown players to the bigs. This will be a long process IMO this team is a mess but I love Theo's vision for the team he and I have a similar vision pretty much the opposite of Jim Henry .

Also good news is Crane Kenney wont be involved in baseball decisions that guy is a joke as a baseball talent evaluator. Glad he is now just on the business side of baseball and out of the baseball side.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-27-2011 at 01:38 AM.

I can't wait to trade insufferable Cardinals fans for insufferable Cubs fans.