Thread: AP > Dalembert, Robinson out of 76er's Lineup (Trade ideas, anyone?)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default AP > Dalembert, Robinson out of 76er's Lineup (Trade ideas, anyone?)

Robinson out of 76ers' lineup
    Former Indiana Mr. Basketball told he will not be starter when season opens.

By Dan Gelston
    Associated Press
    October 27, 2004

PHILADELPHIA -- Glenn Robinson and Samuel Dalembert have been demoted from the Philadelphia 76ers' starting lineup, coach Jim O'Brien announced Tuesday as he put the first stamp on his new team.

O'Brien named veterans Aaron McKie and Marc Jackson and rookie Andre Iguodala to the starting lineup.

McKie beat out Willie Green to be the starter at shooting guard, Iguodala gets Robinson's old spot at small forward, and Jackson takes over from Dalembert at center.

Allen Iverson, who will play point guard rather than shooting guard, and Kenny Thomas will be the other starters for Philadelphia's season opener Nov. 3 against Boston.

Robinson, a former Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball at Gary Roosevelt High School, did not play in an exhibition game against Utah on Tuesday night and left the locker room before the game to tend to unrelated family matters.

Robinson, a former Purdue star who is entering his 11th season, has started 668 of 679 career games and has a 20.8 points per game career scoring average.

"Glenn took it about as good as any NBA player has ever taken news that he was not going to be in the starting lineup," O'Brien said. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for the professional way he handled the situation."

Robinson griped about playing time last season when injuries shortened his first season in Philadelphia to a career-low 42 games. Robinson dedicated himself to offseason workout programs and proclaimed in training camp to be in his best shape in years.

Dalembert was one of two Sixers to play in all 82 games last season and was ninth in the league with 2.3 blocks per game. While he was shooting 74 percent in the preseason, he struggled at times adapting to O'Brien's defensive scheme.

"It does matter for me. I'm not going to lie. I do want to start," Dalembert said last week when asked about the possibility of losing his starting job.

O'Brien valued the maturity and experience of Jackson and McKie, both former Temple standouts. Iguodala made an early impact during training camp, grabbing rebounds and leading the charge on the fast break.

Green played in 53 games last season but was shooting only 40 percent from the floor in the preseason, including 0-for-6 and 5-for-14 efforts against Toronto.

"There's nothing that he has done that would not tell me he's the player I talked about this summer," O'Brien said. "He needs to get the starting job. He needs to battle Aaron, and Aaron has to not relinquish easily."

[hr]

Anybody care to guess what would we have to give up to get Dalembert?
    [edit=72=1098884459][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: AP > Dalembert, Robinson out of 76er's Lineup (Trade ideas, anyone?)

I'd figure at least Bender if they don't really care for him, but I just don't think the Pacers have the pieces to do a trade with the Sixers.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

Default Re: AP > Dalembert, Robinson out of 76er's Lineup (Trade ideas, anyone?)

I would dake Dalambert, but no thanks on Robinson.

I wouldn't touch Glenn with a ten-foot pole. Dalembert intrigues me - he reminds me of a younger Theo Ratliff (above average shot blocker, adequate post defender, not a guy you'd run a play for but not a oven-mitt wearing stiff like most of our current big men, either).

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Sixers aren't going to trade their young, promising center just because he didn't get inserted into the starting line-up for the first game of the season.
    Sure they would - they just have to be offered something they think is better for thier team. As was mentioned above, we may not have anything we're willing to give up that they think would make thier team better. But if we offered Ron for Dalembert and change (to make it work salary wise), I'm pretty sure they'd jump on that without blinking.

Based on our healthy players now, there's no way we could get in the running. But at the trading deadline, if he's still on the bench, a trade could be in Philly's best interest.

Here's what really surprises me: he seems to be more of Jim O'Brien's type of player than Marc Jackson, anyway.

That's why I wonder if he's done something, or can't do something, and O'Brien doesn't view his upside the same as Philly's management?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Here's what really surprises me: he seems to be more of Jim O'Brien's type of player than Marc Jackson, anyway.

That's why I wonder if he's done something, or can't do something, and O'Brien doesn't view his upside the same as Philly's management?
    He's apparently had problems learning O'Brien's defensive schemes this preseason, which isn't all that unusual, since he played the entire year last year without anything resembling a defensive scheme.

I bet by February at the latest he's starting again.
    I agree. That's why I wish the Pacers were in a vulture-like position where they could come in, make a deal that Philly thinks is sweet, and upgrade significantly at the C position. (No offense, DD). (Speaking of... Dipper, what else is being said about this?)

The Sixers have high hopes for Dalembert; he has played very well at times this preseason and has added some bulk to his upper body and a nice mid range face up jumper. He has just been a little slow learning the new defensive system and has been caught out of position too often. But he will be the starter as soon as he gets more in tune with the defensive schemes because he has too much ability to be behind Jackson in the rotation. It just speaks for the 76ers depth at that position this season with Skinner, Jackson and Dalembert they have a nice rotation of centers.

It's been exciting as a 76er fan this preseason because O'Brien has already changed the attitude of the team and has them playing stiffling defense. I love the fact that he benched big dog.

Last night they dismantled Utah's "A" team at one point they were leading by 22 with Boozer,Kirilenko and Okur on the court.

The young players have shown some serious upside; Iguodala is already their best perimeter defender and earned the starting nod. Green had 18 pts in 20 explosive minutes the other night. Korver was 4-4 from 3 pt. range last night with 15 pts. and Dalembert has been impressive despite some of the confusion he has had with the system.

They have no intention of trading Dalembert; I even think O'Brien is using it as a motivation for Green and Dalembert to force them to earn the starting nod. He couldn't do it with Iguodala because big dog is incompetent as the starter. But Green and Dalembert have been impressive again this year.

[edit=73=1098889530][/edit]
    [edit=73=1098889634][/edit]

This seems two sided to me. One part motivation (as has been said earlier up) and the second a posturing of the coach to strengthen his position with regards to the players, especially given the talk of the young guys being the focus of the team before preseason. Its well known that Green, Igu, and Dalembert are seen as the path the team is going to take but keeping them on the bench at first makes it known that the coach doesn't feel handcuffed to them playing and shows that he controls the lineup not the talent of the individual player. Starting Igu also gets Robinson out of the starting rotation further promoting the idea that commiment and drive are key to playing the major role for the team and that pure talent won't buy you as much as you think it might. (I would imagine this point needs to be made on a team where AI has often been seen as using his talent as a tool to get slack in team rules).
    [edit=390=1098891502][/edit]

I would trade Ron for Dalembert/Igouwhatsawhosit/Pick.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I would trade Ron for Dalembert/Igouwhatsawhosit/Pick.
    Hahaha, I bet you would.
    Hell, I'd even throw in Pollard and AJ if they didn't like that offer.

Trade scenarios aside, I like what O'Brien's doing here. Glenn could thrive in a 6th man situation (the less pressure on him, the better.) As for Dalembert, I'd say either O'Brien has a problem with his game (defense, perhaps), or Sam got too big of a head after his late season play, and expected the 5 spot to be handed to him on a silver platter. Nothing wrong in making someone work for their position (Tinsley, for example.)
    ---
    Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've read some comments by Celtic fans (and as Fool mentioned above) saying that they believe this is Obie's way of telling Dalembert and Robinson that tenacity is the way to get on the floor more. Same thing he did with Tony Battie. Probably a message to Dalembert moreso than Robinson (who I doubt is going to change much at this point in his career). Makes perfect sense to me; I can't see Philly _really_ being interested in getting rid of Dalembert.

Mother****er. Dalembert is my starting center in the fantasy league.