Thread: Google Plus?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Google Plus?

anyone else on PD using it?

seeing how its privacy controls are much easier to use + transparent than facebook, i can see it being useful for stuff like our fantasy leagues or NBA 2k team/online associations. just make a new circle for PD, and voila: you get the benefits of timely updates + notifications without worrying about whether random strangers you met on an internet board are looking at your pictures.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Google Plus?

I'm using it but don't check in often enough. Like a lot of people I've been spoiled by Facebook and I'm expecting all this content to be served to me on a platter. I need to get on + more often and generate content myself.

I just got my diaspora invite after a wait of about a year. It's pretty sparse there right now (even moreso than +) but it definitely has potential.

Mood

Social media overload more like it. I had a Google+ invite given to me and I signed up. If you are already on facebook it's redundant.

I'm really confused over some of my friends revolting to Google+. It will continue to evolve like facebook had and they'll complain about changes, etc.

Looks pretty interesting. I've had it for a couple of weeks but haven't really checked it out yet. My big things is remaining anonymous to the outside world, so that's my main concern. I really need to look into their privacy settings.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Mood

I'm asking this in all seriousness. Why would someone who wants to remain anonymous to the outside world sign up for social networking in the first place?

Cause outside world doesn't equal friends. I have friends around the country I like to keep in touch with, so I love that aspect of social networking, but my employment is kinda sensitive, so I need to stay under the radar to the casual observer trying to track me down. With a brother on the west coast, a best friend on the east coast and family and friends scattered in between, social networking is a great way to keep up with everyone.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I have an account now, but I don't really use it due to Facebook.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    anyone else on PD using it?

seeing how its privacy controls are much easier to use + transparent than facebook, i can see it being useful for stuff like our fantasy leagues or NBA 2k team/online associations. just make a new circle for PD, and voila: you get the benefits of timely updates + notifications without worrying about whether random strangers you met on an internet board are looking at your pictures.
    If you set your FB setting correctly random people can't see your pics. You can even limit who sees them down to individual friends. The recent changes on FB illustrate how few people actually regulate what they put out there. I've been trying to teach my students this for the past two years. Some have actually listened.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    If you set your FB setting correctly random people can't see your pics. You can even limit who sees them down to individual friends. The recent changes on FB illustrate how few people actually regulate what they put out there. I've been trying to teach my students this for the past two years. Some have actually listened.
    You're right, the ability to do so is there, but its not encouraged by facebook which leads to so few people knowing about it. Google+ is trying to capitalize on that.

I have an account, don't use it much, but I have almost completely abandoned facebook, not because of G+ though.

It does have some really cool features like Hangout and Huddle. Huddle is great for making plans with groups and Hangout is pretty cool too. You can stream a youtube video together so you are all watching it at the same time and I've seen some celebrities hold Hangouts with fans.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    i know they're there, hence me saying that g+'s privacy controls are much more transparent, but it was really out of the way for a while, and even now it's not really prominent. it's that people icon that appears when you click the context menu for the post... which is bleh. as said above, fb isn't going out of their way to make sure its users are restricting who sees what content.

not to mention that fb's method of placing friends into those lists is nowhere near convenient as circles.

when you post something on google plus, one of the very first things it asks you is "who do you want to share this with?" there's nothing like that on facebook. it has to be done manually, which although is no problem for me to do, is a much less streamlined/elegant way of doing things.

anyway, i still use facebook more since everyone else i know uses it, but as i said in my original post, i could see g+ being useful for our fantasy leagues/nba 2k groups.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I probably won't change because I don't have the time to. I don't agree that FB has to go the extra mile to help people restrict themselves. If you are going to use something be smart enough to learn how to do it. I agree that creating the lists is a chore, for I did it for a couple of reasons, one to get the feed to stay chronological and the other to get game feed back easier. I'm glad the google thing is cool though.