Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 101

Thread: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

  1. #51
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...then you might want to stop using the same exact example in all of your arguments....people who generalize don't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you take someone's legs out from under them, don't be surprised when they get up and start swinging. Having your legs taken out from underneath you, or getting hit with some other dirty play isn't about shooting freethrows. It's about punks going OVER the line with their play.
    Did you miss that on purpose or on accident? I would venture to guess on purpose.

  2. #52
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah. I'm so awful. Hard fouls are evil. We should all go to jail for our impure interpretation of defense.
    I didn't say you were evil. I said "wow..."

    So you're okay with a player getting a broken arm? You're okay with a leg? You're okay with breaking their nose? You're okay with breaking any bone in their body if they still have the ability to get up?

  3. #53
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    A player can't continue to play if you break his arm. I thought I made that clear. Nobody is out to seriously injure anybody, but that doesn't mean you can't inflict some pain and make him think twice about getting into the lane again.

  4. #54
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a man's game. If the worst thing you get out of being fouled is bumps and bruises, take it like a man and shoot your free throws. If you can't deal with it, you picked the wrong profession.

    You sound like the 30 year grown man beating up on a 12 year old. Trying to equate a regular foul with intentionally hurting someone is absurd.

    You can hand someone a hard foul without putting their life in danger. And yes, I do mean in danger.

    TJ Ford could have easily become paralyzed or even died with the falls he has taken. But those are all good since he had the abilty to get back up. What a joke.

  5. #55
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A player can't continue to play if you break his arm. I thought I made that clear.
    No, you said
    "I consider a foul to be over the line when the other guy is physically incapable of getting up. A good body-check at the rim is perfectly acceptable if you want to send a message."
    People have the ability to get up with a broken arm.

  6. #56
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Yeah, because there are so many 12 year olds in the NBA!

  7. #57
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    People have the ability to get up with a broken arm.
    by "getting back up" I obviously meant the ability to keep playing. That was an extremely dense interpretation of what I said.

  8. #58
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, because there are so many 12 year olds in the NBA!
    I didn't say there were any. You're not even attempting to read what is actually being said.

  9. #59
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    by "getting back up" I obviously meant the ability to keep playing. That was an extremely dense interpretation of what I said.
    No, it was taking you at what words you chose to type. Getting up is different than keep playing. If you meant keep playing, then you should say that.

    And besides, one play can result in someone popping right back up or it can result in a broken neck. How do you protect players from the broken neck if you encourage putting them on the floor?

  10. #60
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't say there were any. You're not even attempting to read what is actually being said.
    You compared it to grown men picking on little kids. The NBA is a profession. There are no little kids. Your comparison had no merit at all.

  11. #61
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, it was taking you at what words you chose to type. Getting up is different than keep playing. If you meant keep playing, then you should say that.
    Are you new to basketball? Do you also think 'no blood no foul" literally means you have to see blood before you call one?

  12. #62
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you news to basketball? Do you also think 'no blood no foul" literally means you have to see blood before you call one?
    Obviously not, or I would be making your argument instead of mine.

  13. #63
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And besides, one play can result in someone popping right back up or it can result in a broken neck. How do you protect players from the broken neck if you encourage putting them on the floor?
    You tell them to not play basketball for a living. It's a contact spot. There's a certain amount of risk that comes with the game. You can blow out your knee without even touching someone.

    Should we also ban tackling in football because players run the risk of spinal injury?

    You sound like an overprotective mother cringing every time her little boy takes a fall.

  14. #64
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You compared it to grown men picking on little kids. The NBA is a profession. There are no little kids. Your comparison had no merit at all.
    I'm talking about the attitude that justifies the behavior.

    "He needs to learn to be a man" as he takes another swing at the kid. That's what you SOUND like.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  16. #65
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    [QUOTE=Kstat;1282536]You tell them to not play basketball for a living. It's a contact spot. There's a certain amount of risk that comes with the game. You can blow out your knee without even touching someone./QUOTE]

    I understand that. That doesn't justify adding MORE risk to the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should we also ban tackling in football because players run the risk of spinal injury?
    Thank you for asking that. No. They should ban hits to defenseless receivers and hits to QBs heads. Like they have done.

    Notice that they have the ability to judge between a "good" hit and a "bad" one. It's not a field day on how you want to hit people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You sound like an overprotecting mother cringing every time her little boy takes a fall.
    Because I say that you can play hard without playing dirty? Yeah, what an extreme stance I'm taking.

  17. #66
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Knocking someone to the ground every now and then is fine, as long as you aren't up-ending people. Hardwood floors are pretty forgiving.

    As I said before, nobody ever got seriously injured against the bad boys due to their physical play. Never happened. They wrote the book on good, hard fouls. I don't need to make the argument about added risk, because it's already been made for me.

    As many hundreds of times as they punished people at the rim, nothing serious ever resulted. That makes a better case than anything I can say.

    Notice that they have the ability to judge between a "good" hit and a "bad" one. It's not a field day on how you want to hit people.
    Notice the NBA has the same thing. It's called the flagrant foul.
    Last edited by Kstat; 09-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.

  18. #67
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Knocking someone to the ground every now and then is fine, as long as you aren't up-ending people. Hardwood floors are pretty forgiving.
    Obviously you've not landed an many hardwood floors. Or understand how much force is generated by a body mass of 200+ lbs falling without the ability to brace yourself.

    As someone who deals with chronic lower back pain every single day, I can tell you exactly how unforgiving they actually are.

  19. #68
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I said before, nobody ever got seriously injured against the bad boys due to their physical play. Never happened. They wrote the book on good, hard fouls. I don't need to make the argument about added risk, because it's already been made for me.

    As many hundreds of times as they punished people at the rim, nothing serious ever resulted. That makes a better case than anything I can say.
    And I've never been in an accident while I was driving. Are you trying to say that I never will?

  20. #69
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    I've landed on plenty of hardwood floors and plenty of solid concrete. Give me the former any day of the week.

  21. #70
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Notice the NBA has the same thing. It's called the flagrant foul.
    And notice the difference in the way the game is officiated now compared to how it was officiated during the Bad Boy days.....

    The league has changed their attitude towards the hits, thankfully. You, have not.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  23. #71
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I've never been in an accident while I was driving. Are you trying to say that I never will?
    That's like saying just because I haven't died from a flu shot yet, doesn't mean I never will.

    At some point, the odds become so great they are irrelevant.

  24. #72
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've landed on plenty of hardwood floors and plenty of solid concrete. Give me the former any day of the week.
    Because it's better to land on wood over concrete doesn't make landing on the wood any easier. It might hurt less, but it still hurts.

  25. #73
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it's better to land on wood over concrete doesn't make landing on the wood any easier. It might hurt less, but it still hurts.
    Point is, it hurts less. People who play the game for fun on the playgrounds take that risk. If you're making a living off of it, the risk comes with the territory.

  26. #74
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's like saying just because I haven't died from a flu shot yet, doesn't mean I never will.

    At some point, the odds become so great they are irrelevant.
    Yes it is like saying that. I'm glad you understand the comparison.

    Odds don't stack up against each other. They're independent.

    Just because you were hit and didn't get hurt doesn't mean you're never going to get hurt. But that is the argument you tried making.

    Because the Bad Boys didn't seriously injure anyone doesn't mean that using their tactics will never injure someone.

  27. #75
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Ben Wallace Arrested (Drunk Driving/Concealed Weapon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Point is, it hurts less.
    No, the point is that they're both dangerous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who play the game for fun on the playgrounds take that risk. If you're making a living off of it, the risk comes with the territory.
    That doesn't even make any sense.

    Injuries don't care if you were simply having fun or if you're getting paid. They happen regardless.

Similar Threads

  1. Pistons C Wallace arrested for DUI (AP) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
  2. Gerald Wallace blindsided by trade
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
  3. NY Times Ben Wallace article, nice read
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. Complete Game 2 Coverage From The Detroit News & Detroit Free Press
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:21 AM
  5. I agree with this article from Deveney
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 06:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •