Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Foster out until December

  1. #1

    Default Foster out until December

    http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/189467-6993-092.html


    Indiana Pacers center Jeff Foster will have arthroscopic surgery to repair a cartilage tear in his right hip Wednesday morning and will miss the start of the regular season.

    Scot Pollard will start while Foster recovers, which is expected to take four to six weeks.



    Jeff Foster
    "The opinion was I could play through it, but by December or January I'd be pretty bad," Foster said this morning. "The consensus was to get it fixed and by mid-December hopefully I'll be 100 percent."

    The surgery will repair Foster's labrum, a joint socket. He isn't sure when the injury occurred, but believes it was in a summer pick-up game at the San Antonio Spurs training facility when a player fell on him and he felt something pop.

    He played in the first two preseason games, averaging 10.5 points on 73 percent shooting in 15.5 minutes. He sat out the three games previous to tonight's game with Memphis at Conseco Fieldhouse, however, and was held out of practice as well.

    "I was really, really tight in my hip," Foster said. "We couldn't get it worked out, and when they finally worked it out it brought the problem to life."

    Pollard started the first two games last season before losing the job to Foster, who went on to average 6.1 points and 7.4 rebounds. Pollard endured his most frustrating season in the NBA a year ago, averaging 1.7 points while playing sparingly. The seven-year veteran reported to training camp in better shape and has averaged 6 points and 6.4 rebounds in five preseason games.

    I've started games before and played a lot of minutes before -- just not in Indiana," Pollard smiled. "Hopefully my body is ready to do what it used to be able to do."

    Jermaine O'Neal and David Harrison also are nursing minor injuries, leaving the Pacers thin at the center position as they conclude the preseason with three games this week.

    O'Neal could miss the remaining games as a precautionary measure, while Harrison hopes to return for at least one game.

    The injuries could create a roster spot, at least temporarily, for free agent rookie center John Edwards.

    "That's a question for Larry (Bird) and Donnie (Walsh)," Carlisle said. "On paper it would certainly appear possible, but they're going to have to make that decision."
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Well, Pollard had better perform...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  3. #3
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,867

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    crap

  4. #4
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    It's a good thing we kept Pollard around. This also opens up some time for Harrison to develop - it's not all bad.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  5. #5
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Oh my...I really don't know what to say...

    Maybe I'll just wait for Peck to reply

  6. #6

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Just shows how thin we are at C and PF. Bender is the key to our season. If he really is a bust we are in trouble.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  7. #7
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    By the time Foster comes back, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost his starting job to Bender.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  8. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Pollard has just been handed a gift-wrapped opportunity to redeem himself, as has Harrison to prove himself as a backup. I'd rather them have to perform in this situation rather than in spot minute of garbage time. This way, we should know for sure if either deserves to play or not, because they'll have to to start off.

  9. #9
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a good thing we kept Pollard around. This also opens up some time for Harrison to develop - it's not all bad.
    ing:ing:ing:


    No but seriously , I don't think it's a bad thing


  10. #10
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pollard has just been handed a gift-wrapped opportunity to redeem himself, as has Harrison to prove himself as a backup. I'd rather them have to perform in this situation rather than in spot minute of garbage time. This way, we should know for sure if either deserves to play or not, because they'll have to to start off.
    Hmm... I think its more likely to create more time at PF for Croshere and Bender, because JO will probably play more time at Center instead of Harrison coming in, dunno just a feeling with Carlisle not playing rookies much at all aswell as Bird liking Croshere aswell as beying more "secure" than a rookie. I don't necessarily aggree with all of that, but I think that's the way it will play out.

    And, yes, this is a golden opportunity for Pollard, he had better take it, will he He has been pretty decent this preseason, but its not called "preseason" for nothing. Conclusion: we just have to waite and see how it will work out.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  11. #11
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Holy crap. We're counting on Pollard, a rookie, an injury waiting to happen, and Croshere now.

    The only good that can come out of this is the Pollard/Harrison combo actually works out well (which I think is doubtful), and moves JO back to PF.

    I'm not even going to expect anything out of Bender until I see it, I don't want to be disappointed again.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just shows how thin we are at C and PF. Bender is the key to our season. If he really is a bust we are in trouble.
    Then you're in trouble.

    But I disagree with the basic premise. You have enough depth. Granted, you'll see Croshere spend some time at center and Bender may last only 5 games instead of 10 this year but you still have enough talent and people to look pretty good when he gets back.

    The tougher thing is it gives Detroit a huge edge on you for winning the division - before this I'd have put it as even, or possibly given Indy a slight edge.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  13. #13
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Somebody watch the waiver wires...

    Derrick Coleman, anyone?

    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the time Foster comes back, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost his starting job to Bender.
    Agreed.

    I don't think Pollard will start any more games this season than he did last year (two), although Croshere may move into the lineup at PF for a while as Bender gets into shape.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    This certainly does not help, but we'll find out how important Jeff really is.


  16. #16

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    For all those who think that Bender is going to be a key part of the season, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Frankly, I would not want to count on HIM to be making or breaking our season. Pollard should be fine. Or at least we will find out won't we?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  17. #17
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, is UB

    I was just thinking today how I havent seen you much this offseason. I figured you might pop up when I heard this news about Jeff

    Hey, I've been pretty scarce since about mid August, as my life as been in upheaval. I moved, started a new job, my home computer went on the fritz. Hopefully with the season starting I'll be around more. I do have a new home computer and finally got high speed internet, no more dial up.

  18. #18
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,641

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    The only thing Foster being gone is going to prove is that we are beyond a shadow of a doubt thin at the power positions.

    Jeff Foster is a good backup center, the fact that we have to miss him as a starter pretty much say's it all.

    Filling the shooting guard spot was a good thing. Not addressing our weakness in the middle was a huge mistake.

    The east is getting bigger & stronger & we are getting smaller & weaker.

    Sure, the rest of the east doesn't have our team depth. But right now out of the big three we are the smallest.

    Does anybody truely want to bet the season on Jon Bender?

    I've said it before & I will shout it again here.

    Not signing Brad Miller & then signing him & trading him for Scot Pollard is the worst trade in Pacers history.

    It made no sense to me then & it makes even less sense to me today.

    Yes, I know I've once again thrown this into a Brad discussion but I can't help it.

    We decided to give Bender & Foster extensions & sign Reggie Miller to an ungodly contract for his production all the while we traded away an all-star who went on to become an all-star in the west.

    I can't sleep at nights sometimes because I keep having nightmares about Shaq vs. Foster/Pollard/Croshere/O'Neal/Harrison/Artest/whoever.

    Brad would have made it more difficult on Shaq & the big man would have actually had to have guarded Miller.

    d:

    Ok, I feel better now.

    Let's see if I can look at this objectively right now.

    Foster is out, O'Neal is hurt & Harrison is soar.

    We must depend on Pollard?

    Scot has been better this season than he was last season, but it is still pre-season.

    Jermaine's back bothers me more than Fosters hip.

    Sorry guys, I just don't think much of Jeff. He's ok, but I don't consider him to be the defensive demon & rebounder that some of you do. At best I consider him a decent role player (nothing wrong with that) but having a very limited role.

    In reality I think Croshere can make up for Foster abscence & actually provide a more flexible offense because teams actually have to guard him.



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  19. #19
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the time Foster comes back, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost his starting job to Bender.
    Hmmm hmm hmm ll:

    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  20. #20
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,826

    Default Re: Foster out until December

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry guys, I just don't think much of Jeff. He's ok, but I don't consider him to be the defensive demon & rebounder that some of you do. At best I consider him a decent role player (nothing wrong with that) but having a very limited role.
    "The opinion was I could play through it, but by December or January I'd be pretty bad," Foster said.

    The first thing I thought when I read that in the paper this morning was "Peck thinks you're pretty bad anyway....."
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •