Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: Manning done for the year.

  1. #1
    Member Grover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    83

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Manning done for the year.

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ws|text|Sports

    Bummer. Hoping it wouldn't come to this...

  2. #2
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,474

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Not surprising. He was never going to play a down this season.

  3. #3
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default

    Irsay corrected this on Twitter recently.
    Left door open to a Dec return

  4. #4
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,073

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Was gonna say, this isn't anything new.

  5. #5
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,234

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irsay corrected this on Twitter recently.
    Left door open to a Dec return
    Irsay must think the fans are idiota. Why would you bring Peyton back on a team that won't make the playoffs. Just let the guy rest and have him be 100% for next year.

    This team probably won't win more than 3 games without Manning. Still, there are bright spots in this dismal season. O-Line is already much improved over last year, and our running backs actually have holes they can run through. Angerer is a breakout player. Nevis is going to wreak havoc by the 6th week, which will only help Mathis and Freeney get more sacks/pressure.

    The only thing I don't understand is that it doesn't take long for Freeney and Mathis to get to the QB, yet the coaches have our CBs play off recievers by 5-10 yarda giving the opposing QB easy under routes. Play up on the damn receivers and jam them, giving our rushers more time to get at the QB. That's so damn frustrating to me.

    Sorry for the spelling. I'm typing this in Venezuela from a spanish computer, so my words get translated back to spanish sometimes.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 09-26-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    This is something most of us assumed all along. Official or not, I'd be absolutely shocked to see Peyton come back this season. To be honest, I don't even want him to. I want him to be 100% healthy and ready to go for next season. This season is lost.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  9. #7

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    The doctors don't want him on the sidelines (not sure 'till when) because they were concerned that something might happen, he might get hit and screw things up. And we're supposed to listen to a babbling idiot say maybe December ??


  10. #8

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irsay must think the fans are idiota. Why would you bring Peyton back on a team that won't make the playoffs. Just let the guy rest and have him be 100% for next year.

    This team probably won't win more than 3 games without Manning. Still, there are bright spots in this dismal season. O-Line is already much improved over last year, and our running backs actually have holes they can run through. Angerer is a breakout player. Nevis is going to wreak havoc by the 6th week, which will only help Mathis and Freeney get more sacks/pressure.

    The only thing I don't understand is that it doesn't take long for Freeney and Mathis to get to the QB, yet the coaches have our CBs play off recievers by 5-10 yarda giving the opposing QB easy under routes. Play up on the damn receivers and jam them, giving our rushers more time to get at the QB. That's so damn frustrating to me.

    Sorry for the spelling. I'm typing this in Venezuela from a spanish computer, so my words get translated back to spanish sometimes.
    He and Polian both do.. you can say a lot about how bad the Bengals are mismanaged and they are. But even they seem to not belittle their fans despite putting out a bad product.

    I still say Manning coming to us was very very lucky especially since he didn't go the season before like many thought he would back then Belichick was the coach in waiting and the Jets had the #1 pick that year.

    Think how the NFL would be so different.

    That being said even Stevie Wonder could see this coming.

    Irsay knows as soon as he puts Manning on IR that fans will not give up the $$$$ to go the games etc

  11. #9
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,400
    Mood

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    I just wish they would go ahead and IR him so we could bring in someone to replace his roster spot. I wonder if Garrard would consider Indy.

  12. #10
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    I didn't realize that the Colts were out of the AFC South race after ONE divisional game.

    If he's back by decemeber, they would have played 3 AFC South games. The one they've already played against Houston, then they have the Titans on Oct 30, and Jax on Nov. 13.

    Both games are winnable without Manning. Win one of them, or hell even both, and you're right in the thick of a AFC South title. You'd have one game left against all of them. Win out and you'd be at 5-1. Houston would need to lose another along the way, but anything is possible in the NFL.


    Either way, trying to say that the Colts should shutdown Manning already, regardless, is stupid because you don't know what's going to happen around the league.

    Maybe in Dec. shutting him down is the right call. But not now.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-27-2011 at 11:52 AM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #11

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't realize that the Colts were out of the AFC South race after ONE divisional game.
    Yeah, sorry buddy. You really think Kerry Collins is gonna lead this team to the playoffs after a 0-3 start?

    I've had this same argument with my dad. Why would you even want to see a Kerry Collins led team to the playoffs? What would that possibly accomplish. They wouldn't be close to super bowl contenders and would just be a stepping stone for another playoff team. No thanks. Rest Manning and get draft high quality talent for his final few years.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    I didn't think they'd lose to the Steelers by 3 either but they did.

    What a horrible argument. "I don't think they can, so I don't even want them to try." Yeah, that attitude is really beneficial for any topic.

    EDIT: Maybe they should just go ahead and forfeit all the rest of their games, since they have no shot at winning. This way you get to save their bodies and let them heal the injuries they already have.

    It's a win-win for everyone!
    Last edited by Since86; 09-27-2011 at 12:30 PM.

  17. #13

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    I don't know what is so bad about my argument. We are 0-3 and the offense looks pathetic. Defense looked good against by far the worst o-line in the NFL. They have given no indication that they are a playoff team. They look closer to the worse team in the league than a playoff team.

    I'd much rather spend a year losing then watch Manning spend the rest of his career carrying an entire team, coaching staff, and front office like he has for a while now.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,073

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    I don't think keeping him off IR has much to do with legitimately thinking the team'll be in the playoff hunt. I think, if he's healthy and cleared and all that, they want to see him in game action to get some kind of idea what to do in the draft and the offseason. Don't play him for whole games, just certain situations, give him a few series, a couple redzone opportunities should they present themselves.

    It's not some conspiracy to sell tickets or something, even though there's portions of the fanbase that simply HATE everything about Bill Polian so he must be up to something downright evil. It's about hopefully having a more clear idea about what Peyton's future holds.

  20. #15
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know what is so bad about my argument.
    Because games are actually played on the field, rather than on paper.

    How many games are decided on paper, or decided on what people thought were going to happen? Why play the games if the outcome is based on what people think?

    That's a horrible way to attack life, and certainly a horrible way to attack professional sports.

    Did anyone actually think the Bills would beat the Pats last week? No, but it happened.

    Everyone was calling the Eagles "the Dream Team" and ready to hand them the title a month ago. Now they're 1-2 with their star QB nursing two different injuries in two weeks.


    What would happen if Shaub tore his ACL next week, or what if both he and Andre Johnson went down? It's completely possible.


    Just play the damn games and see where you're at in Dec. instead of trying to guess what everyone else is going to do.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't realize that the Colts were out of the AFC South race after ONE divisional game.

    If he's back by Decemeber, they would have played 3 AFC South games. The one they've already played against Houston, then they have the Titans on Oct 30, and Jax on Nov. 13.

    Both games are winnable without Manning. Win one of them, or hell even both, and you're right in the thick of a AFC South title. You'd have one game left against all of them. Win out and you'd be at 5-1. Houston would need to lose another along the way, but anything is possible in the NFL.


    Either way, trying to say that the Colts should shutdown Manning already, regardless, is stupid because you don't know what's going to happen around the league.

    Maybe in Dec. shutting him down is the right call. But not now.
    The division championship is not won by winning the most division games. It is simply overall record. Division record is used as the tiebreaker. In your extraordinarily unlikely scenario where Peyton is ready to play the first week of December and we're able to win both at Tennessee and at home against Jacksonville with Collins/Painter/whomever we'd still amost certainly be out of the race.

    Your best case scenario:
    0-3 start.
    10/3 at Tampa; certain loss.
    10/9 vs K.C.; best case winnable
    10/16 at Cincy; best case winnable
    10/23 at N.O.; certain loss
    10/30 at Tennesse; called a win
    11/6 vs Atlanta; certain loss
    11/13 vs Jags; called a win
    11/27 vs Carolina; best case winnable

    So in the absolute best case scenario, Peyton comes back to a team that is sitting at 5-6 then has to play back to back games on the road in New England and Baltimore. I'd say it is safe to say those two are losses. Then you say he can win the final three division games. Which puts us at 8-8. All Houston has to do to eliminate us, even in this pie-in-the-sky scenario, is go 7-6 the rest of the way. With home games against Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Carolina, and Tennessee left ln the slate, 5 wins look like a lock. At Cincinnati is a lock. They only need to go 1-5 on the road against Baltimore, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Jacksonville and home against Pittsburgh and Atlanta to make it mathematically impossible for us to make the playoffs.

    I'd say putting Peyton on the IR isn't just the correct move, it's a necessary move.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Except the fact that the 2008 Chargers made the playoffs, after starting out 4-8.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Sa...hargers_season

    The point remains the same. ANYTHING can happen in the NFL. ANYTHING.

    To quote Dennis Green "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" Trying to say that you're already out of a 16 week race, 3 weeks into it is niave at best and dumb at worst.

  25. #18

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because games are actually played on the field, rather than on paper.

    How many games are decided on paper, or decided on what people thought were going to happen? Why play the games if the outcome is based on what people think?

    That's a horrible way to attack life, and certainly a horrible way to attack professional sports.

    Did anyone actually think the Bills would beat the Pats last week? No, but it happened.

    Everyone was calling the Eagles "the Dream Team" and ready to hand them the title a month ago. Now they're 1-2 with their star QB nursing two different injuries in two weeks.


    What would happen if Shaub tore his ACL next week, or what if both he and Andre Johnson went down? It's completely possible.


    Just play the damn games and see where you're at in Dec. instead of trying to guess what everyone else is going to do.
    Right, and the Colts were destroyed by the texans and then pummeled by the browns. They were on the edge of a blow out against the Steelers till Freeney and Mathis decided put forth an extraordinary effort and still lost. You say that my argument is stupid because the games played on the field, but I've yet to see anything played on the field that shows the colts are playoff caliber or even remotely close.

    The Colts will win games, like you said, because not everything is won on paper and sometimes the ball goes the other way. But you seem to think they are capable of competing for a championship and I've seen absolutely nothing in pre season nor the regular season to tell me that is even remotely possible. What you seem to be banking on for wins is called luck, which only results in wins every so often. You need good QB play, a good defense, and most of all talent to win in the playoffs and I don't see really any of that on the current Colts.

    And if you're banking on Peyton coming back midseason I think you're crazy. IT's already been admitted by Irsay he's done for the year. And even if he were able to come back, just read BRushWithDeath's post.

  26. #19
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    No, it's not been admitted he's out for the year or they would have put him on IR. The media has a tendency to report things from their own perspective, instead of how it was actually said.

    I'm not banking on Peyton to be back. In fact, I actually do hope they get the #1 pick and then trade it, or Luck, away and get more pieces rather than a backup QB for the next 3 years.

    But regardless, it's still to early to know if he will or won't be back. Obviously, considering he's not on IR. Why not make the decision in decemeber, or whenever he might be ready, instead of basing the decision what you think might happen?

    What harm does it do? One roster spot isn't going to make or break the season in any direction. No need to rush the decision just to make a decision.

  27. #20
    BornRodney ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except the fact that the 2008 Chargers made the playoffs, after starting out 4-8.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Sa...hargers_season

    The point remains the same. ANYTHING can happen in the NFL. ANYTHING.

    To quote Dennis Green "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" Trying to say that you're already out of a 16 week race, 3 weeks into it is niave at best and dumb at worst.
    My case for sending Manning to the IR would be:

    Chance Manning gets hurt further > Chance Colts make the playoffs with Manning

  28. #21
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My case for sending Manning to the IR would be:

    Chance Manning gets hurt further > Chance Colts make the playoffs with Manning
    How is Manning going to get hurt while he's in the pressbox?

    I'm not saying that Manning has to play. I'm saying wait to make the decision until you have better information.

  29. #22

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is Manning going to get hurt while he's in the pressbox?

    I'm not saying that Manning has to play. I'm saying wait to make the decision until you have better information.
    Even if he gets cleared to play the chances of him getting hurt behind a shoddy line is greater than the reward. Thats what I think Purdue was saying. There's no reason to even risk it.

  30. #23
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,922

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even if he gets cleared to play the chances of him getting hurt behind a shoddy line is greater than the reward. Thats what I think Purdue was saying. There's no reason to even risk it.
    Well he probably should just retire then. I would hate for him to get hurt next season. /green

    I understand what he was saying. But those decisions should be left up to the professionals. Not those of us who play doctor on an internet message board.

    We don't know anything about what is going on. The colts are one of the best teams in the league about keeping confidential information, confidential. We don't know the severity. We shouldn't act like we do.

    Why is it bad to wait to make an informed decision?

    Waiting doesn't mean play him. Waiting means waiting.

  31. #24

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To quote Dennis Green "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"
    That would have been Herm Edwards.

    Green is the 'They are who we thought they were' guy.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  33. #25

    Default Re: Manning done for the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well he probably should just retire then. I would hate for him to get hurt next season. /green

    I understand what he was saying. But those decisions should be left up to the professionals. Not those of us who play doctor on an internet message board.

    We don't know anything about what is going on. The colts are one of the best teams in the league about keeping confidential information, confidential. We don't know the severity. We shouldn't act like we do.

    Why is it bad to wait to make an informed decision?

    Waiting doesn't mean play him. Waiting means waiting.
    Well the professionals had him go through 3 neck surgeries in less than a year. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and everyone makes mistakes. The fact is his neck won't be fully fused until after the regular season. Its safe to say that playing him won't accomplish much of anything at this point.

    The only reason why I think he's not on IR at this point is because Irsay likes the color green. You sell more tickets if there is a chance of a comeback and his freudain slip up yesterday only gave me more reasons to believe that they have no intentions of bringing him back this year.

    All that being said I have no problem waiting as long as he doesn't get behind a line thats already knocked out one starter in only 3 games.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM
  2. A question for the OB haters
    By MLB007 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
  3. The PD NBA Draft - #7 Golden State
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
  4. Jared Lorenzen Should be Our Starter
    By naptownmenace in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 11:42 PM
  5. The PD NBA Draft - Selection 5 - Memphis
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •