Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lockout and the 2011 and 2012 drafts: what do we do?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default The lockout and the 2011 and 2012 drafts: what do we do?

It's quite early to start talking about this, but then again it may never be too early to start thinking about this.

The questions are:
    1. What do we do with the 2011 draft now the NBA is in a lockout? I guess the obvious answer is to proceed as normal. Change nothing really.
    2. I think we need to start thinking about the 2012 draft and specifically the scenario in which the whole 2011/2012 season is gone without a single game played. It may never go that way, but I am of the opinion that we need to be make a decision if it were to go that way, before the coming season should officially start.
    This prevents discussion and potential bickering (sp?) when this particular scenario were to become reality, so everyone knows on forehand what will happen next.

Please, feel free to give your opinion. I think it's important to get this straight. The sooner, the better.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Default Re: The lockout and the 2011 and 2012 drafts: what do we do?

Funny you mention it. I've been holding onto the season ending letter for the past season for some time now, with everyone's rosters, draft order, etc. I kept starting to send it out, then I'd hesitate, because of the looming lockout. Typically the ABA KL summer trading season starts Aug 1, which is right around the corner.

I think I'm going to send out the letter as usual, and it will be business as usual. I don't see anyway there will not be a season, so the biggest effect will be that our draft date will be moved, since we do it within three weeks of the season starting.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I've been holding back for the very same reason, Scott. I really don't know but I'm interested in hearing thoughts and ideas.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i miss my fantasy basketball! hopefully everything will be business as usual.

Like I wrote in my opening post I think this years draft should be the same as any other.

However, I think it wise to atleast be prepared and have a scenario laid down on what the league will do for the offchance of the season going down the toilet completely.

Better to have clarity on what we will do in that event then have to go through a discussion then when every owner has an interest in a particular scenario (which is for their team) instead of chosing/targetting the "right" scenario for the league.

Just my .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Wilson Chandler just took a contract with no opt out clause? If there's a season, there's gonna be a tiny little chink in Redbull Yamaha's armor. That's a pretty solid loss of a player.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

chandler might end up just paying up whatever it would be required to make the contract void, and come back...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 2012 draft should be a straight lottery if there is no season.

Or maybe keep 6 of 12 and draft from there.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think 2012 draft should be a straight lottery if there is no season.
    IF I'm not mistaken in the NBA they would look at the position of each team during the last 3 or 4 drafts to determine who drafts where. Seems pretty fair to me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

that seems reasonable, how would it work for expansion teams? would we calculate based on their one season?

I was going to suggest using the average fantasy points per game of the 12 players each team has on their summer roster.

Add 'em up & the lowest scoring team drafts first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I was going to suggest using the average fantasy points per game of the 12 players each team has on their summer roster.

Add 'em up & the lowest scoring team drafts first.
    Haha, so if you have a team with a lot of players that have been injured the past season how would they count? Would you use the careeraverage or the seasonaverage? Also some teams could have very inefficient players who play a huge number of minutes. That would screw them immediately, while they could be having some of the worst teams in the League.

Either way, I like the thought, but I doubt it would lead up to a reasonable outcome, so I don't think I would be a fan of this procedure.

I think it's a good idea to bump my previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Like I wrote in my opening post I think this years draft should be the same as any other.

However, I think it wise to atleast be prepared and have a scenario laid down on what the league will do for the offchance of the season going down the toilet completely.

Better to have clarity on what we will do in that event then have to go through a discussion then when every owner has an interest in a particular scenario (which is for their team) instead of chosing/targetting the "right" scenario for the league.

Just my .
    IMHO decision we need to make a decision very shortly from now when it's still not 100% certain that the entire season is gone.

We need to have everybody vote for a proposal on how to draft in 2012 to prevent people/teams from being for or against a certain way of ranking teams for the picks in that draft based solely on how high they would draft in each instance. i.o. how much advantage his/her team would have, instead of what would be best leaguewide.

I think by still having a minimal shot of having a part of a season we minimize the chance of the above happenning. I think people looking at what is best for the league is better then risking people looking solely for their own interests (a higher draft pick then in another way of assigning draftposition where they would get a lower draft pick). I think this has to be done now more then ever.

Just my

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

if there is no season - i say we pick in the same order as we would be for this years draft. last season record counts for this season and the upcoming season draft.

or....should there be no season - we just only have one draft and dont over complicate ourselves.

Having two drafts with the same pecking order? I'm not in favor of that. It would give the teams with the 1-3 picks a HUGE infusion of talent creating too much unbalance.
    Teams with old rosters would be screwed by this (not mine btw). They could lose multiple players to retirement or players getting less efficient which this season would have seriously negatively impacted their standings and thus the draft pick they would get and still get two pretty bad draft picks because the past season was the last decent one for them.

The second idea is a decent idea, though a decent trading period should be placed before the draft actually takes place to give teams who want to trade their picks for players or teams who want to trade up some decent time to actually negotiate with other owners.

Belli's second idea and the earlier proposed ideas of looking at each teams last 3 or 4 years position to determine their 2012 draft pick would seem the best to me.

Things have been in so much flux, to be honest, I have tried not to waste my time thinking about what ifs/ At this point, I have a pretty simplistic thought on how to handle things. At this point, I see no season happening. I plan on just transfering what would have been this year's draft order to next year. It's simple and we just end up having a deeper draft, which will be nice for everyone.

IF there is a season (I just don't see it) I'll immediately start a trading period and I'll set up a draft for as close to "opening day" as will fit everyone's schedule.

Ok. That's a good solution. IF it's final that there will be no season though could atleast the same trading and deadline periods be maintained as if there were a normal season?

Oh, absolutely. Hopefully, it will end up being business as usual.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Things have been in so much flux, to be honest, I have tried not to waste my time thinking about what ifs/ At this point, I have a pretty simplistic thought on how to handle things. At this point, I see no season happening. I plan on just transfering what would have been this year's draft order to next year. It's simple and we just end up having a deeper draft, which will be nice for everyone.

IF there is a season (I just don't see it) I'll immediately start a trading period and I'll set up a draft for as close to "opening day" as will fit everyone's schedule.
    this is sounds the best option. the draft order for this year for a draft next year with a deeper FA/rookie pool. sounds good.

Ditto what Scott said for the IKL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Ditto what Scott said for the IKL.
    LA, i don't think a complete redraft like you mentioned is the best solution for the IKL though. not that i have a good team or anything, but i think a redraft is a bit of a copout if we're not having a major overhaul in terms of new owners. of course, if we do have a major change in ownership, then i guess redrafting makes sense. my team is stuck in mid-lottery mediocrity, but i was looking forward to revamp it and turn it into a contender... somehow.

just my two cents (with no substantial alternative suggestions, btw )
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 11-16-2011 at 12:50 AM.

If at all possible I would like to avoid blowing up my team in both the ABAKL & IKL.

I've worked to improve both rosters & would hate to see the effort wasted. If we need to, I understand, & will go along with what the commish feels is best for the league.

Problem is, I haven't heard anything from at least half of the owners of the IKL. But since there's no season yet, there's no point in contacting the owners. We're caught in a hurry-up-and-wait situation.

When we know something about the season, I will get on it and get everything lined up, including finding new owners. Until then, we just need to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    If at all possible I would like to avoid blowing up my team in both the ABAKL & IKL.

I've worked to improve both rosters & would hate to see the effort wasted. If we need to, I understand, & will go along with what the commish feels is best for the league.
    I'm confused. What do you mean about blowing up your team? My thinking is we're keeping our teams, with the roster cut to 8 players, then holding our three round draft as usual. I thought of maybe maybe adding a fourth round due to havng two year's worth of draft classes available, but given how shallow the third round ends up being anyway, I don't think that's needed, but I was envisioning things as business as usual. We'll just have a deeper draft so may that will help the people who just leave after the second round typically, sticking around and making their third round pick, since it may have more impact than it has in the past.