Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.J. Ford one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default T.J. Ford one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-wiz...-in-las-vegas/

Ford Wants to Join Contender: T.J. Ford has been one of the most impressive players during Impact Basketball’s Competitive Training Series in Las Vegas. He’s scoring the ball well, finding his teammates and showing why he’ll be one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.

Ford will be an unrestricted free agent so while he’s playing with members of the Indiana Pacers, such as Paul George, Dahntay Jones and Brandon Rush, there’s a good chance that he won’t return to the team. During his three-year stint in Indiana, Ford bounced in and out of the rotation and was nearly traded several times. Now, as he starts the next chapter of his career, he’s hoping to join a contending team.

“First, it’s about winning,” Ford told HOOPSWORLD. “I want to be on a team where it’s about winning and they’re heading in the right direction. Definitely, it’s a team that’s going to be in the playoffs and go further than just the first round. I just want to be part of a team. Whether that means playing 10, 15, 20, 30 or 35 minutes, I just want to be one of the factors that helps the team win.”

While Ford is looking forward to free agency, he’s currently focusing his attention on the labor talks.

“The most important thing is getting a deal done,” Ford said. “Being a free agent and in a lockout, we’re all in the same situation whether you have a contract or not. Let’s hope we can get a deal done.”

Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: T.J. Ford one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.

10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35
    How about that? T.J. can count by five.

Default Re: T.J. Ford one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.

Personally, I always thought that TJ Ford got a raw deal in the rotation/system used by JOB. It was more about the system than TJ Ford as a player. I wish him the best of luck, and hopes he gets to go to Miami. Being surrounded by multiple Superstars did wonders for Rajon Rondo's career.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Of course, he will. He's cute as a button and can cook, to boot!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ -- “First, it’s about winning,” Ford told HOOPSWORLD. “I want to be on a team where it’s about winning and they’re heading in the right direction. Definitely, it’s a team that’s going to be in the playoffs and go further than just the first round. I just want to be part of a team where I am not expected to shoot 3's, and am not expected to drive into traffic where there are no openings just to "space the court" so others can shoot 3's, and also a team where a "spin move" does not mean jumping in the air and spinning wildly while defenders collapse on me and cut off all of my passing lanes due to a poorly conceived offense. Whether that means playing 10, 15, 20, 30 or 35 minutes, I just want to be on the floor playing for a coach who won't expect me to be the reincarnation of Allen Iverson despite my actual skillset not being suited for that.”
    Translated.

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The only TJ Ford I was ever exposed to, was the one under Jim O'brien. That TJ Ford was a terrible point guard. But, it was also very VERY obvious that TJ Ford was a very good and professional person.

So I sincerely hope that, whatever team he goes to, the offense doesn't pronounce his flaws, but rather hides them (Unlike JOB's) like good offenses are supposed to do for their players, and that he's successful wherever he goes.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only TJ Ford I was ever exposed to, was the one under Jim O'brien. That TJ Ford was a terrible point guard. But, it was also very VERY obvious that TJ Ford was a very good and professional person.

So I sincerely hope that, whatever team he goes to, the offense doesn't pronounce his flaws, but rather hides them (Unlike JOB's) like good offenses are supposed to do for their players, and that he's successful wherever he goes.
    Sookie here's 07-08 prior to coming to Indy

Last edited by sportfireman; 09-16-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

When I think about TJ, I think about how surprising it is that the NBA has so many incomplete point guards.

He will be a good back up in the right situation. Sure he got a raw deal here under Obie, but theres a long line the forms to the left for that category.

He's still a very small, quick scoring Point Guard who doesn't see the floor or pass very well.

I bet he is GREAT in run and gun, no defense games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ Ford's basketball talent has been waning since he suffered his last injury.

But his talent as a person, is pretty much second to none. I think the guy would make a very good coach some day. He knows about perseverance and hard work, and how to carry yourself when you go to work and these are all things that a good, solid NBA coach should be able to instill on his players.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

He's not the same player he was pre-Horford injury, but he was still completely misused when he was here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Let's ask this question: Why did TJ Ford finish the season with the Pacers last year?

Answer: Because no one wanted him.

From everything we had access to at the end of last season, there was a buyout deal that was in place, but Ford and his agent could not get an offer that would recoup the money he'd lose in the buyout. TJ Ford will not be one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.

Yes, he was a very poor fit for O'Brien's system, but I don't think we've ever seen TJ Ford be successful in any system other than "TJ, dribble around until you get an open shot or happen to see an open man."
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Two words for me: Missed Layups.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Let's ask this question: Why did TJ Ford finish the season with the Pacers last year?

Answer: Because no one wanted him.

From everything we had access to at the end of last season, there was a buyout deal that was in place, but Ford and his agent could not get an offer that would recoup the money he'd lose in the buyout. TJ Ford will not be one of the most highly coveted point guards when the lockout ends.
    Its not that no one wanted TJ. It's that no one wanted him at an 8 million dollar salary for what the Pacers wanted from him.

The Pacers were not going to trade him for the sake of trading him. I'm sure the asking price was high as it looks like they are willing to let him walk then trade him and probably take on a contract that goes beyond TJ's.

TJ isn't going to get paid like he was before. He will probably get 2-3 million a year i'm guessing or somewhere around that. A TJ Ford on that type of contract is desirable, IMO.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    Two words for me: Missed Layups.
    JOB made him miss those layups with his Mind Control.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    Its not that no one wanted TJ. It's that no one wanted him at an 8 million dollar salary for what the Pacers wanted from him.
    It's almost as if you quoted his post but didn't read it. Odd.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I like him as a person, not so much as a basketball player even if he were used correctly, which is something we absolutely did not do, I still wouldn't be very excited about him. Just not what I prefer my starting PG to add to my team. As a backup with the accompanying salary for beying that would be another matter IMHO.

Either way, it's not surprising he would be one of the most coveted FA PG's ... the class in general is pretty pathetic and likely even more so at specifically the PG position.
    Last edited by Mourning; 09-17-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: grammar corrections...
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I should add this since my previous post was pretty negative toward TJ: He was our best defensive PG by a very, very wide margin last year.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

27. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Sure he got a raw deal here under Obie, but theres a long line the forms to the left for that category.
    LOL...isn't that truth. Minus Posey and Nestrovic, you can almost say that about any of the players on the team. Man...I still can't believe that we almost had him for a full fourth year. Sorry. I don't mean to derail the thread.

You can almost make a case for Danny Granger, but I think he would have became a fringe All-Star player regardless. Who's to say that he wouldn't have became a TRUE All-Star under a different coach?

That team in San Antonio needs a back-up point guard......

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    LOL...isn't that truth. Minus Posey and Nestrovic, you can almost say that about any of the players on the team. Man...I still can't believe that we almost had him for a full fourth year. Sorry. I don't mean to derail the thread.

You can almost make a case for Danny Granger, but I think he would have became a fringe All-Star player regardless. Who's to say that he wouldn't have became a TRUE All-Star under a different coach?
    Um, Troy "Saloon Door" Murphy?????

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I can see Ford in demand as a PG. He has experience, has skills, and shouldn't command a high salary. Last season teams weren't going to give much for his expiring, nor was Bird going to take garbage for him. Other teams can get him at cheap to very reasonable when a new CBA is signed. I wish him well with his future.

Sports Logo

I suspect that as a UFA...that he could be a decent pickup if he comes fairly cheap ( by today's standards ). As a PG that can do a decent "short term" job filling in for an injured Starter but is now better suited to be a backup PG that is more of a "Scoring PG" then a "Passing PG" while averaging 16 to 18 mpg, TJ could actually do pretty good IF he lands in the right situation.

The question is...what Team's offense fits his style of play AND needs a "decent to solid" backup PG?

Would he fit better in a "run and gun" offense or one that is a "slowdown" offense?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

I'll wait and see on this claim of him being 'one of the most highly coveted' because there's a reason he never got bought out last spring: No one was interested enough for him to go ahead and leave early.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

i don't see TJ as anything other than a decent backup. ever since his injury, he has lost the exceptional quickness he had in college. plus he is little. that makes him just another guy.

the reason he did not play better he is because he can't play anymore. which is too bad. he is a really good guy. and a good team mate. and a good team player. all of those things might help get him a place on a 15 man roster, but it won't make him a starter, or main backup, on anything but a bad team.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'll wait and see on this claim of him being 'one of the most highly coveted' because there's a reason he never got bought out last spring: No one was interested enough for him to go ahead and leave early.
    I guess the question comes down to what other FA PGs that are better suited to be a backup PG that he has to compete against in the market.

I read some article about TJ and recall that the UFA market in the offseason barely has any notable PGs up for grabs...like Telfair, Acie Law and others that I do not remember. My impression is that TJ isn't good enough to be a Starting PG....but he appears to be a better option for a Team in need of some "decent to solid" PG depth as he is as good ( if not better ) then any other PG that is on the FA Market ASSUMING that he can be had for a reasonable price.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.