Thread: Lockout Challenge Part 2: Pacers all-time Lost Free Agent team

Question Lockout Challenge Part 2: Pacers all-time Lost Free Agent team

Ok, we named the all time signed free agent team in another thread. Now let's name the all time team of Pacer free agent losses. And yes, you can include players that were signed and traded in order to create a trade exception.

The challenge is to name the top free agent the Pacers have lost at each of the 5 positions. Once again I've filled in one position to help you get started.

PG:
    SG:
    SF:
    PF: George McGinnis
    C:

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Strummer; 09-16-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: bug work around

Default Re: Lockout Challenge Part 2: Pacers all-time Lost Free Agent team

SF : Peja Stojakovic :|

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BKK For This Useful Post:

C- Brad MILLER

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BBALL56HACKER For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

PG - Mark Jackson

and maybe Quis at SG?
    Last edited by wintermute; 09-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Dunleavy?
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Quote Originally Posted by BBALL56HACKER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    C- Brad MILLER
    Oh wow, I'd forgotten about Brad Miller. Brad fits into the category of someone that we were going to lose as a free agent who we ended up losing in a lopsided trade instead. But he definitely counts as a free agent loss.

I was thinking the center was going to be James Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    PG - Mark Jackson
    I see that Mark's salary went down when he left as a free agent. He was 35. Does anyone remember why we let him go? Was it because he was old and we had others to play PG (Rose, Best) or because we couldn't afford to keep him (possibly due to the salary cap)?

I had a different point guard in mind: Jarret Jack. He wasn't as good a point guard as Mark Jackson was but I don't think we wanted to lose him. We were just too close to the luxury tax to match his offer. And Jack was in his prime while Jackson was a 13 year veteran.

I tend to give the spot to a player we lost in his prime if we wanted to keep that player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I see that Mark's salary went down when he left as a free agent. He was 35. Does anyone remember why we let him go?
    We were rebuilding, and we only kept one core player: Reggie.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I see that Mark's salary went down when he left as a free agent. He was 35. Does anyone remember why we let him go? Was it because he was old and we had others to play PG (Rose, Best) or because we couldn't afford to keep him (possibly due to the salary cap)?
    Partly because of rebuilding probably as 1984 says, but apparently money was a factor too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...on_raptors_ap/

Anyway, he had 2 more solid seasons after leaving the Pacers.

Jarrett Jack isn't a bad choice either, I've forgotten about him.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Zan Tabak...

Actually, this is very tough to come up with.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Length of contract. We didn't want to sign him for the number of years he was asking for.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

The very first player I thought of for this team was:

Danny Roundfield

Losing Danny was huge. We spent many years trying to find another quality power forward. For those who don't remember Danny, he was a 3 time all star. He was all NBA 2nd team in 79-80 (behind Larry Bird and Dr. J at forward). 3 time all NBA defensive first team.

He and McGinnis are a toss up for the power forward spot. I might consider Danny for center. He's listed as a F-C on basketball-reference.com.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

In no particular order:

C: Miller
    PF: Roundfield
    SF: Big George
    SG: Daniels
    PG: Mark Jackson

And to add more depression, in the course of checking my facts, I found that we traded a 1st round pick to the Nets for Super John Williamson. Just short a year later, we traded him BACK to New Jersey (where he proceeded to put up 29 PPG the rest of that season). That first rounder? None other than Bernard King.

What was our front office smoking in the late 70s - early 80s (and are we SURE David Kahn started here in 1995)?
    Last edited by Sandman21; 09-16-2011 at 08:22 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

James Edwards (statistically at least) seems like he was a good player who the Pacers lost in free agency (this was before my time so I don't know much about him)

Don't you mean John Edwards?
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 09-17-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    James Edwards (statistically at least) seems like he was a good player who the Pacers lost in free agency (this was before my time so I don't know much about him)
    I always liked James Edwards. We got him in a trade for Adrian Dantley (ouch!).

The local press (I think it was Bill Benner) always hated Edwards. He used to call him "tall but timid" if we can trust my memory.

But he was just a typical big man, he needed time to develop. And it seemed like his development stopped somewhat after Cleveland gave him the big contract.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

And to add more depression, in the course of checking my facts, I found that we traded a 1st round pick to the Nets for Super John Williamson. Just short a year later, we traded him BACK to New Jersey (where he proceeded to put up 29 PPG the rest of that season). That first rounder? None other than Bernard King.

What was our front office smoking in the late 70s - early 80s (and are we SURE David Kahn started here in 1995)?
    Just look at the transactions for this season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...nsactions.html

a lot of would a, could a, should a...but my god the Pacers could of had a potential championship caliber team eventually if they did a few things differently in just this season. If they didn't have the financial problems they had they could of had something.

It starts out well with trading for Dantley (even if it meant losing Knight). Then dealing Buse for Sobers.

Then they trade Dantley away (Edwards looks solid but Dantley is a hall of famer).

Then they trade Williamson (who as you mentioned they traded a 1st which ended up being Benard King as well as Darnell Hillman for) for practically nothing.

Then they trade the 1st overall pick for Johnny Davis and the 3rd pick. This would of been a great trade if they used that pick wisely...more on that in a second.

They sign Alex English which is great...only to trade him (and a 1st round pick) a season and a half later for a past his prime George McGinnis.

They then use the 3rd overall pick on Rick Robey...with Larry Bird going 6th to the Celtics.

Had money and the overvaluing of big men (which bit them in the *** again...Tom Owens ring a bell) not been an issue they could of waited the year for Bird to arrive and had Dantley and English, along with solid players in Williamson, Johnny Davis, and Sobers (though they lack size, but that is plenty of talent to deal for a big man).

Again...would a, could a, should a...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    Just look at the transactions for this season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...nsactions.html

a lot of would a, could a, should a...but my god the Pacers could of had a potential championship caliber team eventually if they did a few things differently in just this season. If they didn't have the financial problems they had they could of had something.

It starts out well with trading for Dantley (even if it meant losing Knight). Then dealing Buse for Sobers.

Then they trade Dantley away (Edwards looks solid but Dantley is a hall of famer).

Then they trade Williamson (who as you mentioned they traded a 1st which ended up being Benard King as well as Darnell Hillman for) for practically nothing.

Then they trade the 1st overall pick for Johnny Davis and the 3rd pick. This would of been a great trade if they used that pick wisely...more on that in a second.

They sign Alex English which is great...only to trade him (and a 1st round pick) a season and a half later for a past his prime George McGinnis.

They then use the 3rd overall pick on Rick Robey...with Larry Bird going 6th to the Celtics.

Had money and the overvaluing of big men (which bit them in the *** again...Tom Owens ring a bell) not been an issue they could of waited the year for Bird to arrive and had Dantley and English, along with solid players in Williamson, Johnny Davis, and Sobers (though they lack size, but that is plenty of talent to deal for a big man).

Again...would a, could a, should a...
    I think losing Danny Roundfield led to a lot of the problems. We didn't feel we could wait on Bird. When Robey didn't pan out as a replacement for Roundfield, we traded English for McGinnis. I think that losing Danny ultimately caused us to lose English too.

But then, it's a miracle that we were able to sign English in the first place. Money was extremely tight. I don't think anyone in the NBA realized his potential or else we would have easily been outbid for him.

If only the Simons had gotten involved sooner....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

If you look at all the players that spent some time with the Pacers, or were drafted with a Pacer draft pick, they were just one smart person away from being the Celtics of the 80's or Bulls of the 90's, literally.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: