Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's meetings are over: Don't expect NBA ball until 2012

Default Today's meetings are over: Don't expect NBA ball until 2012

Here's from Twitter, in chronological order: (Bold done by me)

From NBPA VP Roger Mason Jr., "...no where near a deal! It's def disappointing!"

Ken Berger, CBS Sports:

Billy Hunter, "We came with intent to negotiating... prepared to compromise... Unfortunately, we're a bit pessimistic. The owners are unwilling to move off of the position on which they've anchored themselves."

"Hunter says two sides remain at odds on two key issues: economics and the system. No future meetings scheduled."

HowardBeck of NYT: "Billy Hunter says talks have yielded 'little or no progress'".

KBergCBS: "Hunter said lines of communication will remain and players will meet again if the need arises. As of now, not enough progress to warrant."

"Derek Fisher: 'It's discouraging and unfortunate, but that's the reality that we're facing.'"

"Hunter said players were prepared to move on economics, but owners insisted on major changes to system."

"Hunter: Owners did not make a formal proposal and remain in the same place they were June 30 before lockout began."

"Fisher: 'We're not marching towards a deal at this time or at any time we [c]an predict.' That's a killer quote."

"Fisher: 'We can't come out of here thinking that training camps and preseason are going to start o[n] time at this point.'"

Brian T. Smith @tribjazz: "About 20 NBA owners want to fix what they believe is a seriously broken system. They're not going to cave and can wait out players."

KBergCBS: "Hunter bombshell: 'We've advised (players) they may have to sit out half the season before we get a deal.'"

KBergCBS: "Hunter says hard cap 'highly untenable ... It could be characterized as a blood issue."

"Hunter and Fisher say economic concessions were contingent on system remaining the same or similar. Owners not willing to move on hard cap."

David Aldridge: "Bottom line: union was unwilling to give up more money from its previous proposal ($100m/yr in concessions) to keep current system in place."

KBergCBS: "Hunter says there's a 'division of interest' within ownership. Owners spent three of 5 1-2 hours meeting amongst themselves."

David Aldridge: "League previously called union proposal 'modest' and claimed players wouldn't be really giving back $100M annually."

Brian Windhorst ESPN: "2 things owners know: 1. With avg. salary of $5M, players aren't starving. 2. Can't break a union until paychecks start getting missed."

KBergCBS: "Hunter: Hard cap would mean 'at any whim,' players on non-guaranteed deals would be 'out the door. And we're saying, 'No Way.'"

Adrian Wojnarowski Yahoo! : "Union and agents always knew NBA was going disstance for hard cap. They want this to look like NHL. And hockey lost a full season getting it."

David Aldridge: "Fisher: 'this is a position we expected to find ourselves in two years ago.'"

KBergCBS: "Matt Bonner of exec committee: 'Given the calendar, we saw a window here. Unfortunately I don't think the owners were willing.'"

Chris Mannix Sports Illustrated : "Said it all along: one side is doing to have to come way off current stand for any deal to get done. Right now, no one is."

- - -

KCJHoop: "Answer I've always given on when NBA lockout ends: 'When the league wins.' Today's events (hard cap talk, etc.) underscore that."

stevekylerNBA: "The Players had proposed a revenue share split that favored the owners, in exchange for a labor system similar to the old one. The players went into today's meeting expecting a deal based on favorable talks last week and did not get what they expected."

"Apparently a large chunk of today's meeting involved the owners talking amongst themselves, and they failed to agree to the Players terms."

SamAmicoFSO: "Basically, players seemed to think NBA owners might back off stance of hard cap. But learned today they won't. 50 games would be miracle."

- - -

KBergCBS: "Stern: 'We reiterated to the players that we need a system that is economically feasible..'"

"Stern: Felt going in there was an economic deal 'within view.' Thought there were economic goals they could mutually meet."

"Stern said concern came from players stating the cap system had to remain exactly as it is today for them to accept economic concept."

"Stern: Owners huddled and were not unanimous on concepts. But all owners unified they need system allowing 30 teams to compete."

"Stern: We agreed to be in touch."

"Stern: We did not have a great day."

"Stern says it's 'still our goal' to start season on time."

"Stern says players did make proposal last week that formed discussions."

"Stern says not accurate that owners are still sitting on same proposal from June."

"Silver: 'You don't hear us using terms like 'blood issue' and 'non-negotiable.' Frankly, we don't understand.'"

"Silver: 'A GM that's given $100m to spend compared to a GM with $50m to spend is at a huge competitive advantage.'"

"Stern says players' stance against hard cap is 'an emotional attachment.'"

"Stern: Owners spent "substantial time" discussing revenue sharing plan amongst themselves."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Don't expect NBA ball until 2012

Crap

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ic_Discouraged

The owners and players met on Tuesday for several hours and came away sounding less optimistic about a deal than they did last week.

Billy Hunter said that there was no progress, with the owners declining to compromise from their position. He also said that no new meetings are scheduled.

"We've advised (players) they may have to sit out half the season before we get a deal," said Hunter.

Derek Fisher said the players remain committed to negotiations.
    "We're not walking way from the table," said Fisher.
    Hunter says union came away "pessimistic and discouraged" by the proposal from the owners.

Last edited by Speed; 09-13-2011 at 03:13 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Hey, **** this.

So much for Chris Sheridan's rosey opinion.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The players and their reps need their heads checked. There's certain realities with the situation that they need to come to terms with before any deal can be made.

Mood

I'd be shocked if we had a season before Christmas. I don't think we will see the NBA at all this year. This is going to be a long winter:

Colts don't have Peyton
    Pacers locked out
    IU/PU/Notre Dame football suck.
    Butler basketball will be down.
    IU/PU basketball won't be where they should be.

Guess I need to start learning about hockey.

@Pacers24Colts12

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers24Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Today's meetings are over: Don't expect NBA ball until 2012

This sucks. I really need the NBA in my sports life right now. The Pacers are the only one of my teams looking at possible serious improvement this year. Everyone knows about the Colts, the Cubs continue to be the Cubs, and IU basketball is still a few seasons away at least.

I am just glad no one in this forum is going to overeact to a few bumps in the road. This was never going to be a straight line to an agreement.

But not a good sign that the players side is making their feeling public. Nothing from the owners yet.

I posted last week when all the reports were positive that there were some bumps coming and that we should not overeact to negative reports or positive reports.

My overall stance has not changed. October 10th is the big date
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-13-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

This is soooo depressing.

with Peyton out, no NBA, and not really into MLB or College

Its going to be a while before I watch sports again

The rest of us in the "real world" are making daily sacrafices to get ahead and these ********** millionaires/billionaires ***** and moan about everything

If they blow this, I hope the NBA suffers for a long time. I am soo sick of the greed in this country as most americans worry about putting food on the table

Guess God wants me to do other things beside watch sports
    Sittin on top of the world!

Guess I'll watch the first 43 mins of game 4 again, jeez.

Keep Hope Alive!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Ugh. It's so hard right now. NBA isn't backing of hard cap, which tells me the entire season is in serious danger.

I'd like to think a hard cap is good for the Pacers moving forward, but what a brutal stretch to have to sit through in order to get it.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So much for Chris Sheridan's rosey opinion.
    Posting the same things as more established legitimate sports sites, despite whether or not they may be true, are not a good way to good page views for a fledgling website.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I am just glad no one in this forum is going to overeact to a few bumps in the road. This was never going to be a straight line to an agreement.

But not a good sign that the players side is making their feeling public. Nothing from the owners yet.

I posted last week when all the reports were positive that there were some bumps coming and that we should not overeact to negative reports .

My overall stance has not changed. Who needs 8 preseason games anyways.

Eh these current meetings were never about a deal, it was the players trying to paint the owners in negative light. It makes all too much sense. Fisher and Mason putting out brief little tweets that offer glimmer a of hope. Fisher's interviews with the media. It was all about painting a picture that players are so committed to the game and having a season and their willingness to negotiate. All so they could today say its the owners who aren't cooperating.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I posted last week when all the reports were positive that there were some bumps coming and that we should not overeact to negative reports .

My overall stance has not changed. Who needs 8 preseason games anyways.
    LOL

I posted before I saw your quote

If they agree to meet again soon, this could be somewhat posturing, however, if no new meeting is set, than I am afraid it looks very grimm
    Sittin on top of the world!

I woke up this morning happy believing this is actually going to end sooner than expected. Both sides sounded like they were just about on the same page.

Now this?

I'm pissed.

At least a positive is another step to an improved league with the owners prevailing.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

The bottomline is they are not near the regular season deadline. That deadline is October 10th. - 4 weeks from yesterday. A ton can happen in 4 weeks. if they agree on October 10th (three weeks before opening night) the entire season as scheduled can still take place. So the owners should not put their best offer on the table right now, same with the players.

Sure I wish the good news from last week continued and I wish a deal could be struck today. But I don't overeact to the latest news this week, just like I tried to not overeact last week.

If things go beyond October 10th, then we are looking at about a month of nothing by way of talks until the players start losing some money.

Here is what I posted 5 days ago on September 8th

This is facinating to me. After two days of positive "reports" many of you are starting believe. I can't wait until there are a few negative reports, just to read how all of a sudden the season is lost again.

My sense is things are going well, we have a ways to go though, and there will be numerous bumps in the road, but the general direction is positive.

Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

well, crap.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

The bottomline is they are not near the regular season deadline. That deadline is October 10th. - 4 weeks from yesterday. A ton can happen in 4 weeks. if they agree on October 10th (three weeks before opening night) the entire season as scheduled can still take place. So the owners should not put their best offer on the table right now, same with the players.

Sure I wish the good news from last week continued and I wish a deal could be struck today. But I don't overeact to the latest news this week, just like I tried to not overeact last week.

If things go beyond October 10th, then we are looking at about a month of nothing by way of talks until the players start losing some money.

Here is what I posted 5 days ago on September 8th

This is facinating to me. After two days of positive "reports" many of you are starting believe. I can't wait until there are a few negative reports, just to read how all of a sudden the season is lost again.

My sense is things are going well, we have a ways to go though, and there will be numerous bumps in the road, but the general direction is positive.

I think it comes down to whether or not you believe the NBA will budge on a hard cap. Do you think they will? I don't.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The NBA side is expected to speak with the media any moment now. I'll update the top post again once they do.

I think it comes down to whether or not you believe the NBA will budge on a hard cap. Do you think they will? I don't.

I think they will. I think it wil be harder than it has been, but I do not expect an NFL type cap.

I think they will. I think it wil be harder than it has been, but I do not expect an NFL type cap.
    Me either. Word is they want it to be like the NHL.

Me either. Word is they want it to be like the NHL.

I do not know what the NHL has.

So basically they could more or less agree on how to split up the money, but they're still not budging on either side when it comes to the system.

The Canada teams seem the be the only ones making money in the NHL.

They have a lot of poor American teams and they should do something about them.

Hockey's just not a big hit in the U.S. It's Canada's sport.

So I wouldn't surface the NBA around the NHL and how they handle their cap. Especially in the modern day sports world.

I wish they could stop with the big market garbage in the NBA because that's what's destroying the league and everyone knows it and it's embarrassing for the league. Only 8 teams making money. That's sad.

The NBA has become much more popular in modern day, but it's not exactly a great thing for the NBA as a whole. It shouldn't be the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, and Bulls as the only teams getting attention because of their location/the amount of stars they have.

Glad the Mavericks won. That's how it should be (like the Super Bowl). They surprised a lot of people. If the Heat had won, it wouldn't have been a surprise. It was kind of figured they'd win.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 09-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!