Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,536

    Default Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/solving-pr...g-free-agents/

    There is such a thing as a good problem. They do exist, and we know this is true because the Indiana Pacers have one: cap space.

    Whenever the players and owners finally bang out a deal, free agency will be soon to follow, and the Indiana Pacers will have more money to spend than almost any other team in the entire league. That seems like it’d be a wonderful thing, especially for a young group like the Pacers that have showed plenty of promise yet still suffer glaring roster holes at a couple of really important positions—shooting guard and power forward.

    So what’s the problem, you ask? Convincing the top free agents in the 2011 class that Indianapolis is an ideal city in which to live and work.

    In truth, the Pacers are actually in a pretty good place right now. They’ve spent the last five years playing out bad contracts, trading away what they could and hanging in there with what they couldn’t. In the meantime, they’ve actually put together a pretty attractive group of young, promising players. With so many young kids coming into their own at right about the same time, now is the perfect time to add some veteran help and make a real postseason push.

    What might end up proving problematic is finding veterans who’d rather come to a quiet, blue-collar city like Indianapolis to play for a team full of young’ns when there will be sturdier “win-now” situations out there for similar money.

    Pacers brass has a couple of ways they can approach this. The first is to offer more than a player is likely to get anywhere else. If, for example, Indiana is serious about getting David West, they might not have to offer the max to get him into navy and gold, but they’ll probably have to come pretty close to it. A new collective bargaining agreement will be put in place at that point to strictly discourage teams from overspending, but getting new guys to head to a small market in the modern NBA ain’t easy. To bring in a big name, whether it be West or Jamal Crawford or somebody else, the money will matter.

    The other consideration for free agents is the fact that Indiana truly is right on the cusp of becoming a perennial playoff team, maybe even one that could push towards the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference. The way they played the top-seeded Bulls in the first round of last year’s playoffs was pretty valiant, and young bucks like Darren Collison, Paul George, and Roy Hibbert could all exhibit All-Star talent at some point in their careers.

    Actually, the Pacers are in a perfect situation to feed a star’s ego—“We’re right there. We’re so close to being right in this thing every year. The only thing we need is… you.”

    There’s talent in place and there’s money to spend. That should be enough to lure in a top-level free agent and probably someone near the top-end of the mid-tier, too, but “should be” and “definitely is” aren’t exactly the same thing. This is a sell job, and it’s not an easy one, but if Larry Bird and David Morway do their jobs, they’ll find a good way to spend all that cap space. Hopefully, they’ll turn a good problem into a good solution.
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    i like option 2 much better

  3. #3
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,536

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i like option 2 much better
    Me too, b ut can you "sell" that to FA's?

    Million dollar question
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,154

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    There aren't any free agents out there this year worth "near the max". Trades involving lopsided salaries are a better bet.

  5. #5
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,536

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There aren't any free agents out there this year worth "near the max". Trades involving lopsided salaries are a better bet.
    I agree only these few could I see get anywhere close to a max

    David West
    Nene
    Sittin on top of the world!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,749

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Eric Gordon! MAX Contract! 2012!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  8. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    I still like the "pick up players on a fire sale with an uneven trade" approach better, especially for this free agent class.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  10. #8

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    The Pacers need a big and the two best available are probably Nene and David West. Both will get a lot of money.

    The question for the Pacers is are either of these guys what you need to win a championship? I think the Pacers have one of the best young cores in the league. One that can win a championship or more if things fall into place right. So before you commit a bunch of money to one of these guys I think you have to be very careful.

    Just because you have the money doesn't mean you spend it all at once. With the exception of Danny all of the key players are on their rookie contracts. You have to take into consideration that too.

    I really don't see Nene or West as being the long term answer. Nene more than West but still not likely worth the money. I'd much rather use more of a band aide approach for this season and sign Carl Landry. Still an upgrade at PF for the Pacers but much cheaper. Not exactly what the Pacers need but he would make them better.

  11. #9
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Marc Gasol is a restricted free agent andemphis is a small market team with a lot of salaries on their payroll.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  12. #10
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,801

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marc Gasol is a restricted free agent andemphis is a small market team with a lot of salaries on their payroll.
    IMO, Memphis will match any offer on Gasol. He's that important to them. They'll just cut salary in other ways, most likely being a salary dump of OJ Mayo (which they already tried). I could also see them moving Rudy Gay for smaller contracts.

    The only scenario where Memphis really has no chance to keep Gasol is if the new CBA comes with a very punitive hard cap (e.g. $45m hard cap). That doesn't look like it will happen anymore though.

  13. #11

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marc Gasol is a restricted free agent andemphis is a small market team with a lot of salaries on their payroll.
    There was a lot of Marc Gasol talk in yesterday's NBA Chat with Bill Ingram. A lot of it sounds questionable, though.

    Mutang

    Someone else mentioned this trade for Utah, and I love it; is it possible?? Memphis trades Gay to Utah for Millsap and Miles. Utah gets their closer/SF/young star to play with FAvors, Hayward, Al, Kanter, Devin. Memphis has room to sign Gasol and has shown they’re pretty good even without Gay.


    • Bill Ingram

      Good Morning, everyone, and welcome to the chat!
      While I definitely follow your logic, and have said a number of times myself that the Grizzlies should trade Gay in light of their success without him, the Grizzlies aren’t even willing to listen to offers at this point – or weren’t before the lockout began. They don’t believe Gasol wants to be there, and are thinking about ways to replace him in that event. I do think your idea has merit – Gay would be fabulous in Utah and the Grizzlies would be even tougher up front with Millsap in the mix.
    Ruben

    How are you Bill, how realistic is Marc Gasol for Rockets fans, do the Rox have what it takes cap wise to outbid Memphis?


    • Bill Ingram

      It’s not so much a matter of outbidding the Grizzlies, who can go over the cap to re-sign their own player. It’s a matter of what Marc wants to do. If he wants to stay, Memphis will re-sign him and it’s all done. If he wants to leave, which is what I’ve been told, then the Grizzlies have said they won’t pay a player who doesn’t want to be there. Houston has about $48 million committed for next season, and we don’t know what the cap will be. It does seem Houston will be able to make him a significant offer, more than some of the other teams that are likely to have interest.
    Michael

    how much do you think M. Gasol is worth? and what kind of contract do you think he’ll actually end up getting?


    • Bill Ingram

      10 years ago he’s a $6-8 million player because there were so many better centers in the league. Now he’s a top ten center, and maybe top five. I expect he’ll get at least 10-12 million next year and ballooning in the years after that.

    There's plenty more Marc Gasol talk in the link.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,115

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Say no to David West....

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,536

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Say no to David West....
    Undersdtandable concerns

    but to whom do you say "yes" to?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  18. #14
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larry and Frank -- Birds of a Feather!
    Posts
    3,430
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gordon Hayward! MAX Contract! 2015!
    Adjusted for consistency.

  19. #15

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    It's just so annoying.

    Whenever a bit name FA is brought up it's either Lakers, Knicks, superteam, or bust.

    The choices of where players can go should be much more limited by using a much stricter salary cap.

    The issue with the NBA is that it's turning into a player league rather than a team league. The teams should be the biggest focus.

    Obviously if you have all 30 teams having a chance and making money rather than just a few teams making money, then of course that's better for the league as a whole.

    It should not be 3 stars (LeBron, Wade, and Bosh) and 12 garbage players vs. whoever.

    I know it's easier to focus more on one player to carry the load on a 12-15 man roster with only 5 guys out on the court. Which is why a strict salary cap is needed big time in NBA basketball.

    Also the big market crap is nonsense. Go where the money's good or go to the best available team (who can afford you by managing their cap).

    If you're a good player, you're going to be recognized no matter where you play if that's the issue.

    If, what's now gone back to a long lockout, can result in the owners winning, which probably will happen, then we will have a good shot at landing a guy like Deron Williams.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 09-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    I guess the question about Gasol would be this: If he doesn't want to be in Memphis and is refusing to re-sign there, does he want to be in Indy? I can't think of a reason that the answer would be yes.

    If he doesn't mind coming here, I think we've got a leg up in S&T deals because Hibbert is a viable replacement who comes cheap.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  22. #17
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    I say yes to Nene, M. Gasol, and Shane Battier as far as household name guys go.

    I say "O.K." to David West as long as we don't overpay for him.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  23. #18

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess the question about Gasol would be this: If he doesn't want to be in Memphis and is refusing to re-sign there, does he want to be in Indy? I can't think of a reason that the answer would be yes.

    If he doesn't mind coming here, I think we've got a leg up in S&T deals because Hibbert is a viable replacement who comes cheap.
    He would be paid nicely here that's for sure.

    He's the kind of guy I'd love to add. Start him at PF and he can also play center minutes next to Tyler when Roy is sitting down.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  24. #19
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,536

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    but is Gasol better than Roy, and if so how much?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  25. #20

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    I think too many on this board are thinking small. If West or Nene are the best we can get so be it. But I want to shoot for more. What about making a hard push for Dwight Howard? If it doesnt work fine. But at least aim for the moon. Could you imagine the excitement in Indy if Bird worked out a deal for Howard and then went after Eric Gordon in FA? Man, we would be the team to beat.

    I know this is a long shot. I am not suggesting that it will happen or that the odds are good. I am suggesting that Bird and Co. should go all out to bring in the "BEST" talent available. If it doesnt work, at least they could say they tried.

  26. #21

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but is Gasol better than Roy, and if so how much?
    It wouldn't matter who's better than who. Both guys would play next to each other.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  27. #22

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think too many on this board are thinking small. If West or Nene are the best we can get so be it. But I want to shoot for more. What about making a hard push for Dwight Howard? If it doesnt work fine. But at least aim for the moon. Could you imagine the excitement in Indy if Bird worked out a deal for Howard and then went after Eric Gordon in FA? Man, we would be the team to beat.

    I know this is a long shot. I am not suggesting that it will happen or that the odds are good. I am suggesting that Bird and Co. should go all out to bring in the "BEST" talent available. If it doesnt work, at least they could say they tried.
    I really hope this lockout isn't going to go to waste and the whole big market dominates the league is taken away.

    I hope we at least make some sort of attempt to get Deron Williams.

    We have the money, we're not a bad team either. I think whoever would come here would recieve a great deal.

    The issue is you can't really blame the players if the opportunity is there. It's the league's fault for basically turning itself into a joke.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 09-14-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  28. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,584

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but is Gasol better than Roy, and if so how much?

    Nene is my first choice but I'd take Gasol. I think he is just a little better then Roy only due to his being more consistent. It really doesn't matter though. If he's the best big man we can get we should go after him. I'd rather have another top center starting with Roy then an undersized PF. He can start with Roy and you sub Hans and Jeff in a manner that Roy and Marc would only play around 10-15 minutes on the court at the same time.
    Any hard cap under 70 mil would make it almost impossible for Memphis to keep Randolph, Gay, and Gasol long term. Randolph and Gay will cost almost $40 million at the end of their contracts. You can't add another max player to that and still field a team under any reasonable hard cap.

  29. #24
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wouldn't matter who's better than who. Both guys would play next to each other.
    They're both big and slow centers. I don't see how you play them together, and I'm one of the supporters of Nene at the 4.

  30. #25
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Solving Problems: Attracting Free Agents

    There's very little doubt in my mind that if Bird thought either Paul or Joward were willing to spend the rest of their careers in Indy, he'd make the best possible offers to get them.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
  3. Baron Davis' Recruitment Letter to Free Agents
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
  5. IndyStar: Pacers will likely pass on big-name free agents
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •