Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Colts@Texans Game/Post-Game

Default Re: Colts@Texans Game/Post-Game

Let's put Clark on Williams after it went so well in the 1st half.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The first time I thought it was a screw up by Linkenbach, but apparently Caldwell thinks it's a good idea to have Clark try and block Mario Williams solo

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collins has some of the worst pocket awareness I've ever seen

Why he's about the worst combo with our current line as you could have.

-Emiliano Zapata

I understand you have to give rest to the D-line, but Moala and Brayton are so abjectly bad, I wouldn't even run them out there.

EDIT: Was it me or did Nevis really not get that many snaps?

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo

Hey, held em scoreless in the 2nd half

Also enjoyed seeing Jerry Hughes as a non-injury scratch today. Glad he still can't make the active roster on game day.

-Emiliano Zapata

Okay, well I took my potshots during the opening day debacle. So I'll kick off the post-game portion of the thread with an attempt at a balanced assessment.

Liked:
    -Effort in 2nd half (but deer in the headlights in the 1st)
    -Created some turnovers (but D-line talent vacuum will plague us all year)
    -Should have put up at least 17 in 2nd half
    -O-line run blocking was decent (Pass protection swiss cheese, though)
    -Collins can throw the ball (but only if he gets a solid pocket for 5 mins. plus he's got fumble-itis)
    -We have Cleveland at home next (not that it's an automatic W)
    -We still have Reggie, Dallas, Joe, and Pierre (who wasn't half bad)
    -Carter not bad for his rookie debut

Current take offense: The offense has potential to improve if the O-line progresses. The challenge is Collins has zero escapability, but if we can provide a hermetically sealed pocket and time, he'll complete throws.

Current take defense: Despite a more spirited effort after the half, I actually view this unit (along with coverage teams perhaps) as the bigger obstacle to overcome. The long-running lack of legitimate starter-quality DTs will hinder our defense all year long. And, even more so without Manning, we cannot win games without a reliable defense. You can't control the run, you can't get people off the field. To add insult to injury, our top-shelf DEs had one total tackle. They don't help the run D situation.

I'd say 5-6 wins barring unexpected leaps in development in key areas.

-Emiliano Zapata

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 5-6 wins is awfully generous. 4-12 is as optimistic as I can be right now. There are definitely no "gimme" type games on the schedule for the Colts team I saw today. That means they will have to play out of their minds to beat the good teams and play at a much higher level than they did today to beat the bad and mediocre teams. You just don't realize how many lumps Peyton glosses over until you see it in living color. This is all assuming that Peyton misses the entire season. If we go with the VERY optimistic recovery timetable and say that Peyton misses only two months, I think there's a realistic possibility that the Colts are 2-6 at that point, maybe even winless, and already completely out of any chance of a playoff appearance. Under those circumstances I wouldn't see why on earth you'd risk Peyton coming back if he was even able to. We're in for a long season...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Four or less would be fine by me as far as draft placement is concerned.

-Emiliano Zapata

If the team continues the current rate of play for the season a winless campaign is definitely in their grasp ( ). So, they could use the draft to really address a current team weakness for Peyton's stretch run... or address a true 'heir apparent' and backup for Peyton for the near future.

BUT the problem there is, if you pick a QB then he does nothing towards improving the current on the field team. At least as far as for Peyton's stretch run. And that assumes Peyton can comeback from this injury and still perform at a high level. Or at least a high enough level to still keep a contending team (albeit one with an improved O line and D) in the SB conversation for a few more years.

So do you draft for the here and now and assume Peyton Manning continues on as the starter or do you draft under the impression Peyton's time is more limited than originally assumed if not potentially already over (or ready to end at a moment's notice)?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Put a fork in them: they're DONE.

For a lot of years, Manning has been CARRYING a lot of CHUMPS. He's covered for a whole bunch of incompetents.

The defense can't stop anyone; the offense lacks a playmaker, other than Manning; and the special teams SUCK. Just so many times you can turn on the game and watch ANY RUNNING BACK run through the Colt's defense.

Until/unless Manning comes back, get ready for the Mike Davis era for the Colts.

What exactly has (Mike Davis) Caldwell done with the defense that's so special?

I was living in IN at the time and jumped on when they drafted Manning. It's been a great, though sometimes very frustrating, ride. Time to get off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    NFC North beating the hell out of the South this week. Packers beat the Saints, Bears killing the Falcons, Lions up 14 on the Bucs and it shouldn't be that close
    I actually liked my Vikes this season, but they're going to be the odd ones out.

They battled hard with the Chargers today. Just couldn't hang on.

I don't think it's totally because the Colts are that bad, the Texans are just that good.

It was a combination of both today.

If the Colts went up against say the Jaguars, this would've been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I don't think it's totally because the Colts are that bad, the Texans are just that good.

If the Colts went up against say the Jaguars, this would've been a different story.
    The Texans are a good team but they have always played us tough the difference was we had Manning to bail us out.

They didn't this time and it seemed like that's how they played regardless of saying they can win without him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

See, I don't think so. Any team with a running back as good as MJD and an O-line that can open holes for him is gonna take the Colts to the woodshed this season.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    See, I don't think so. Any team with a running back as good as MJD and an O-line that can open holes for him is gonna take the Colts to the woodshed this season.
    I agree with that and I just mentioned the Jaguars as being a team who probably won't do too well this year in the division going up against the Colts rather than the Texans, who are a hell of a lot better than say the Jaguars.

MJD probably would've single-handedly taken apart the Colts, but not as badly as the Texans as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I read/heard that a ton of times in the 2006 season too. We saw how that turned out.

As we should know by now, this defense is bi-polar and has been for years.

Banned

I think Peyton is lucky to be hurt this year, this team is flat out horrible.

A few of my thoughts:

1. The offense will get better with experience (Mostly the O-Line, but I think the offense will get there).

2. Our defense is still miserable (Who saw that coming?). Maybe the worst in the NFL. Just pathetic.

3. Our entire coaching staff needs to be fired. Just miserable preparation for that game.

4. Back to the defense. You can take ANY running back in the NFL and they'll look like a star against this defense. It's literally that bad. Doesn't matter who it is, they'll absolutely abuse us. We have good defensive players, but need a new Defensive Coordinator desperately and a new scheme. This same old crappy defense has to stop. How many years do we have to watch it fail miserably before management will realize it's the worst in the NFL and we need to change?
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think Peyton is lucky to be hurt this year, this team is flat out horrible.
    No, it's been that bad a long time. What you saw was the difference between Peyton and anyone else. Peyton always knows where the pressure is coming from, and what it means to the routes his guys are going to run. Most of the time he can probably play it out in his head. He is ahead of the defense and gets the ball out quickly. He also alerts the offensive line, and so they perform better.

Peyton is just that good. Even if he can't play as well physically when he comes back, his biggest asset as a QB will be unchanged. It's his football mind.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I read/heard that a ton of times in the 2006 season too. We saw how that turned out.

As we should know by now, this defense is bi-polar and has been for years.
    A lot has changed since then though.....

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Hmmm...Lets see...

Same old Defense. Check
    Special Teams stink like rotten fish. Check
    O Line looks like they've never pass blocked. Check
    Collins looks like a QB they pulled out of retirement and knows about 60% of the offense. Check

Ain't lookin' good folks.

The run game looked fair and the second half was much better, I'll give them that. I've never been much for bashing Caldwell, but that was a real stinker in the first half.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Mood

The whole game all I thought was is this Texans team that good or are we just that bad. It was like a train wreck on TV, horrified to watch but you can't look away.

Just think how bad it would have been if the Texans had Foster.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to management to actually make some changes. Coaching staff just isn't that good, it seems nothing has been done to defense or special teams in years. Offense will be fine, but a sure fire playmaker would really be nice.

If we do have a high pick after the season. I would love to see a major focus on defense like a big DT that can clog holes. A playmaking wideout would be nice too.

You can't get upset for Manning not being there, but our defensive scheme requires a DT that is big and can clog the whole and yet we never seem to have one. Also, just a lot of bad drafting has come back to bite us in the ***. If Manning was playing, he'd probably be able to cover those mistakes up, but since he isn't, it's just so glaring now. However, this years draft was pretty damn good so I have hope that we are moving in the right direction.

I think with another strong draft next year, we'll really set Manning up strongly for his final years and that's all you can really ask for. Taking some pressure off Manning as he winds down his career (sort of like with Elway) is just the right strategy.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

like others have said, this defense was seriously awful. they were thoroughly abused on the ground and in the air. this team has no more than 2-4 wins tops. seemed like every other running play the texans ran on the colts, they pushed the D back a good 3-4 yards and the runners would get about 7-12 yards almost every time.
    like in years past, the opponent ate up clock and dominated time of possession. this fact has been true for a long time. they can't get off the field because they can't put any significant pressure on anyone let alone shut down any team's rushing attack.
    schaub had many plays where he simply backed up a few yards and threw it to an open receiver. he faced very little pressure today.

this defense is going to get abused many, many times this season. i wonder how many runners will set career highs on the colts this season? there will be several no doubt.