Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would the Colts do if...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What would the Colts do if...

Understand that this is a completely hypothetical and highly unlikely situation. But say Peyton's neck doesn't heal and he misses the entire season and the Colts just are awful without him. Say they go 3-13 and end up with the first pick in the draft. What do they do? Gamble on Peyton staying healthy and trade the pick, which will surely be Andrew Luck, an extremely highly touted QB? Or do they draft Luck and keep him? Keep in mind is Manning misses the entire season, something will obviously have to have gone wrong with his neck situation. This is just for fun, but I'm interested to see what you guys think.

Mood

Default Re: What would the Colts do if...

I would draft Luck and keep him. Only due to the new rookie scale he would only cost 4yrs 22m which is what I would do. Then in 3 to 4 years have him as the starter kind of like what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would draft Luck and keep him. Only due to the new rookie scale he would only cost 4yrs 22m which is what I would do. Then in 3 to 4 years have him as the starter kind of like what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers.
    Would the Luck camp want that though? I'd think they would demand a trade. He is ready to play right away in the NFL, no question about it. The Colts couldn't possibly deal Peyton though.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Luck camp would salivate at the idea of him coming in to the Colts, being mentored by Peyton, and then being let loose...

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    I think the Luck camp would salivate at the idea of him coming in to the Colts, being mentored by Peyton, and then being let loose...
    He would sit for the majority of his rookie contract if Peyton was healthy. I don't think he would like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He would sit for the majority of his rookie contract if Peyton was healthy. I don't think he would like that.
    I thought Peyton has said that the wanted to play until 40 and then he would be done. I don't know if that has changed but I would draft Luck and groom him for the future. Three years under Manning then start playing him.

IF Manning said he would play until he was 44 then I would say pass on Luck or trade down but the first pick and a very solid QB prospect don't come along very often.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I've been wondering about it myself as I go through all the sky is falling scenarios. On the one hand I say trade the pick to whoever for a king's ransom, multiple first round picks, a playmaking DB. Maybe something like Washington for Laron Landry and a first and third and more in the future. Keep this Manning window open as long as we can. From a strict "health of the franchise" perspective I think trading Luck would be the best move.

Then I remember we've still got a joke of a coaching staff and an approach in the front office of Manning or nothing, the entire philosophy of the team's built around him. Get whatever you want for Luck in a trade, but the entire approach the franchise takes would still be the same and that's what really needs changed.

And y'know, if we're getting REALLY dark, Peyton needs another surgery that's 3 neck surgeries in what, 9 months? Brand new 5 year deal or not, he'd HAVE to think about his long term health.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gotta agree with you. "IF" something like this were to happen this is the right decision to make.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

While I still think the Colts would probably go 5-11 or 4-12 without Manning (read: not bad enough to get Luck) if they did happen to get the number one pick they would use it on Luck without hesitation. I really think there is way more to Peyton's injury than the Colts are letting on, neck/nerve issues are very complex and it is possible that Peyton will never fully recover from his injury, and it is even more possible he won't play out the entirety of his contract. In that context, drafting Luck if given the opportunity becomes the intuitive option.

Ask the Green Bay Packers how stashing away a top flight QB worked out for them. IMO the Colts should think about doing something like this next year regardless of whether Peyton plays this year or not.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also, I don't want a 40 year old Peyton Manning playing QB for the Colts. I don't even know if I'll want a 38 year old Peyton Manning playing QB for the Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Ask the Green Bay Packers how stashing away a top flight QB worked out for them. IMO the Colts should think about doing something like this next year regardless of whether Peyton plays this year or not.
    That's hardly the same thing. Rodgers was the 24th pick in the draft and hardly a sure thing. Once upon a time, there were serious questions about his mechanics and QBs drafted from Jeff Tedford's system at Cal. Remember his funky delivery in college? Andrew Luck is seen as a surefire, can't miss prospect who is hands down the #1 pick in the draft. He's ready to play now and I seriously doubt his camp would be thrilled at the prospect of him sitting for multiple years behind a legend.

I think you're underestimating Rodgers in much the same way many scouts did. Going into that year he was the number 1 QB in the draft. Cal was not a national power and he dropped. Don't be shocked if Stanford struggles a bit this year and the same thign happens to Luck. We're a long way from next May.

I think you're underestimating Rodgers in much the same way many scouts did. Going into that year he was the number 1 QB in the draft. Cal was not a national power and he dropped. Don't be shocked if Stanford struggles a bit this year and the same thign happens to Luck. We're a long way from next May.
    If Luck is not the #1 pick in the draft it is only because he gets injured.

We'll see. No one in a billion years would have bet on Cam Newton last year.

Because everyone bet on Andrew Luck coming out and being the top pick. Which he would have been had he decided to come out.

Mood

except for Cecil and the boosters at Auburn

but Rodgers dropped because his mechanics sucked which is much improved from Cal. Besides his flawed mechanics he had all the tools and could make every throw. Green Bay really did him right by grooming him and fixing his mechanics.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Hard to predict that Peyton will be an elite quarterback until he's 40. keep Luck and play the best QB.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Because everyone bet on Andrew Luck coming out and being the top pick. Which he would have been had he decided to come out.
    Now you're re-writing history a bit as well. Luck was not the consensus number 1 pick last fall by any stretch.

Mood

If somehow we get in a position to draft Luck we had better go ahead and do it. The kid may not start for four years or so but how better to groom him to be a professional under Peyton's wing. Like the Aaron Rogers situation or going back further Montana and Steve Young.

Sports Logo

Curtis Painter's learned at the feet of Peyton for 3 years now, how's that worked out? I'm not saying don't take Luck or anything, but the whole learning from a legend thing is REALLY overblown.

And Luck was absolutely no doubtaboutit the consensus #1 last year. He's literally the best QB prospect since Peyton, hell maybe Elway depending who you ask. Right now he's a top 10ish NFL QB, he has no fault but inexperience.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Curtis Painter's learned at the feet of Peyton for 3 years now, how's that worked out? I'm not saying don't take Luck or anything, but the whole learning from a legend thing is REALLY overblown.

And Luck was absolutely no doubtaboutit the consensus #1 last year. He's literally the best QB prospect since Peyton, hell maybe Elway depending who you ask. Right now he's a top 10ish NFL QB, he has no fault but inexperience.
    I agree with you on the 2nd part. But Painter and Luck shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Painter isnt anywhere near Lucks league like you said Luck is a top flight QB talent and Painter is just lucky to be in the NFL still.

Sports Logo

I agree with you on the 2nd part. But Painter and Luck shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Painter isnt anywhere near Lucks league like you said Luck is a top flight QB talent and Painter is just lucky to be in the NFL still.
    I'm not comparing Painter and Luck, they're clearly not in the same universe. I'm saying Painter hasn't shown any improvement despite "learning from Peyton." Sorgi didn't really either and he had what, 6 years? Far as I know Rodgers never learned much from Favre, not in a one one one type thing anyway, maybe from just watching him I suppose. Every time Rodgers has been asked about it it seems like the two always had a fairly chilly relationship.

I would draft the best defensive player in the draft, but I'm not sure you can pass on Luck, assuming he's the number one guy next year that everyone thinks he is.

Now you're re-writing history a bit as well. Luck was not the consensus number 1 pick last fall by any stretch.
    Last fall no. Certainly he was a top 3 prospect but last spring he defiantly was the consensus number one pick before he backed out of the draft.