Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ran into Rush at the Atlanta airport...

Default Ran into Rush at the Atlanta airport...

On my way home from a meeting in Atlanta, I bumped into Brandon Rush in the security line. For the first time, I was thankful for how long it took to to get through the security process at Hartsfield. I walked up to him, and called his name, telling him I was from Indy. He went out of his way to wait up for me after that and was a lot more engaging and intelligent that I imagined he would be. For a while we thought we'd be taking the same flight to Indy, but he was on Airtran and I was on Delta. Regardless, I was able to talk with him for about 20 minutes, and it was surprising how much candor he had with me and the tons of questions I had for him.

For example, we talked a fair bit of time about his time with JOB. I told him how psyched I was to see him driving to the hoop at the beginning of last season. He told me that his doing that was because JOB specifically allowed him to have more scoring opportunities. When he messed up a couple of times into the year, he got relegated to "the corner". I found it fascinating that he saw himself naturally as someone who drove to the hoop, and from his perspective, was precluded for being able to do this. I've always thought he was passive. But he said that a players relationship was very hot and cold with JOB. In his case, JOB planned over the offseason to give Rush a bigger scoring role, and Rush felt if he was on his "good list", he could play as he traditionally liked to. If he screwed up, he wouldn't be allowed to have offensive opportunities and he was specifically told to sit out at the 3pt line.

He gave lots of other examples of this: "man, TJ got screwed by JOB. He should have easily started over AJ Price. AJ is a good guy and all, but he's no TJ on the court". "McRoberts, after the year he was having? Man." "The team never knew where they stood with JOB, it was hard to deal with."

I asked him if he thought that Vogel would be better in this regard. Surprisingly, he thought that things wouldn't change very much, given that he had all of his training from JOB. "He's a better communicator, the guys like him better." "I don't think the offensive system will change very much." I thought this was an odd thing to say, b/c the offense felt different once he took over last year.

I asked him about almost every player at some point, but here are the highlights:

He thinks that Paul George has a lot of skill, but he "doesn't have the killer instinct that you need to be an all-star". "Paul's more concerned with everyone liking him and getting along with people". I asked him if this could change, and he said probably. I then asked him if he thought that Granger was kicking his a** and he said "oh hell yeah, he's all over PG this summer. Granger kicked my *** last year big time. People think that Granger is all soft and holding back, but just wait and see… Granger is an amazing player, one of the best"

I asked him: "so what's going on with Stephenson… is he going to get his head right?" He said, after hesitating: "Naw, I really don't think so. He didn't listen to anyone, took offense to the players, and felt he was better than everyone else." I wondered whether he thought the summer in Indy is doing anything to get him right, and he said that he hadn't been in touch with him since the end of the season. "It's a shame because he has a lot of game"

"What do you think of George Hill?" "I've never talked to him before, but seems like he'll be a good player"

Collison: "man, I don't like playing with Collison." "He's too focused on getting his own shot, he's not a pass first point guard, and that's not fun to play with."

I got up the nerve to ask him about the evolving backcourt depth, and what he thinks that'll mean for his future in Indy. His response: "honestly, I'd like to be traded this offseason." When I poked at that a little more and asked him where, he said Chicago. "They need a 2 there, and their existing guys are getting older. I like the city, and I think I'd fit well with the team" "This is the offseason when I need to be traded in order for things to work out the best"

I asked him what he thought about the lockout negotiations. He said "I've been hearing good vibes over the past couple of days. It's very frustrating to deal with, as we all want to play. Did you know we're getting ready to start a league in the next week in Vegas? Me, Dahntay, and Paul George are going to play on a team with a couple of guys from New York" "All pro, it's going to be fun". He asked me what I thought of the lockout circumstance, and I told him that I could see points on both sides of the argument, but that they would be idiots if they couldn't figure out a way to keep up the momentum and not lose games. He agreed, reiterating that there's a lot of player movement that he believes will happen once things open up, and that he's been strategizing with his agent a lot.

All in all, I thought he was a nice guy: bright and engaged, easy to talk with. The fact that he was coming to Indy was nice, but it's clear that he sees the writing on the wall, and wants to move on now before his value is killed any more than it already is. I can't think of a good 2 way trade with the Bulls that would allow him to have his wish, but perhaps he could be part of a multi-team trade? Bulls certainly need a 2, but I'd be willing to bet they're shooting higher than Rush... more like Mayo or someone like that.

Hope this is interesting to folks.
    Last edited by docpaul; 09-10-2011 at 09:33 AM.

2. The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Ran into Rush at the Atlanta airport...

Oh, this isn't going to be an interesting thread at all. /greenfont

Thanks Doc.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, this isn't going to be an interesting thread at all. /greenfont

Thanks Doc.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Rush and want to keep him.... but this sounds as though he's upset with the players and the system and he's lashing out. Maybe to force a trade.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Everything he said seems to be spot on to me.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, lots of interesting/disappointing stuff in there.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, really interesting stuff. I believe everything you wrote so don't take this the wrong way, but it is absolutely nuts that a player would be this upfront with a fan, from disparaging players to expressing doubts with the new coach to saying that he wanted to be traded! Wow! Unfortunately, it says something about Brandon's judgment and professionalism. And who is he to say that Paul George lacks the killer instinct to be good, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I think BRush will be a good player in the NBA, but likely never with Indiana. We'll all be pretty disappointed when he is a much more stellar role player for some other team. We'll never trade him to Chicago or any other division rival, I'm pretty sure of that, he can keep dreaming.
    Last edited by idioteque; 09-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

While divulging this information to a fan is not good for him or the team, I don't think he is demanding a trade.

He did play the corner, and so did Paul. I don't like how this team has used the 2 guard since Carlisle. And that goes with Vogel. I would like to see more player movement on the wing and high post. I like the curls, but hate that the other wing has to sit back and watch while Dunleavy or Danny are ran off of screens. I would like to see a Flex style approach when it comes to running an offense through our wings.

I am not mad at Rush for this. If he wasn't frustrated about his career this far, I would say that he likes the NBA life style more than being a player in the NBA.

I hope he comes back with a fire. But he probably will not rise above the circumstances and play hard. He is docile.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I only hope that the talk don't go to the media.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ensergio For This Useful Post:

Absoutley love the quote about granger. Hope people take notice of that "leadership". Also I met brush when he was drunk, had a very different conversation. Lol
    Last edited by granger33; 09-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

I would've called him over by, "Bust."
    Here we come lottery?

I mean, if you're Rush how do you expect him to feel? He wasn't allowed to do anything but stand in the corner, people's main complaint with him, and now the Pacers traded for George Hill to pretty much replace him.

Some really interesting stuff in there, though. Looks like most people to like Lance much and Danny seems like more of a "leader" than people think.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    I would've called him over by, "Bust."
    This forum clearly lacks a "don't like"-button.
    Thank you Jeff.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

I think it's time we trade him.

You can tell he doesn't want to be here and we really don't want him here.

We always have Dahntay who can play SF behind Danny.

If anything, Brandon isn't going to see much time anyway. Dahntay won't either, but one of these guys will see more minutes than the other while backing up Danny as Lance and George play PG and SG. Paul starting at SG and DC at the point.

Here's a "what if" rotation.

PG DC-Hill
    SG PG24-Lance
    SF Danny-Dahntay
    PF West-Hansbrough
    C Hibbert-Foster

As Brandon said regarding a team like Chicago, I think he would do very well there and fill in that hole, but like idioteque said, we should avoid sending him to someone within the division even though all these teams in the Central would be great suitors for Brandon.

Also, like what idioteque said regarding Paul lacking a killer instinct. It really is a

Paul has all the potential in the world to major a killer instinct and then become a star. I haven't seen any signs of that coming from Brandon.

I like Brandon, but I think it's best for everyone if we part ways.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Mike wells just tweeted "rush denies saying anything negative about the team"

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to granger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post
    Mike wells just tweeted "rush denies saying anything negative about the team"

Someone's lying here!
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

What Wells is saying: (Newest first)

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

@JustinBeck33 @hickspd @iamthaking25 Covered Rush since Day 1 and I've never heard him say a negative word about a teammate. Is it on tape?

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

@HicksPD I asked @IamThaKing25 bout the post on ur site. He said he had a brief convo w him but did NOT say anything negative bout the team

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

And message board nonsense just got more hillarious...

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

I have no reason not to believe docpaul, he's never been someone looking to stir up trouble on the board or anything like that. And I'm far from a Rush "hater" no one should think that. I think he's pretty talented but things just haven't worked out on either side.

This is a pretty interesting display of this board's influence.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not trying to be a jerk at all but, I think some things are better off left unpublished. No matter what Rush said. I think it is cool that he took time out to talk. Now where are we I bet he thinks twice about talking to another fan again. Obviously not oo smart on his part to say anything negative, but these days everyone is Perez Hilton. Now a cool moment is turning into a bunch of BS.

35. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk at all but, I think some things are better off left unpublished. No matter what Rush said. I think it is cool that he took time out to talk. Now where are we I bet he thinks twice about talking to another fan again. Obviously not oo smart on his part to say anything negative, but these days everyone is Perez Hilton. Now a cool moment is turning into a bunch of BS.
    I agree for the most part, Rush will probably rightfully so be reticent around fans and I personally don't think I would have shared this information with this board. However, Rush is personally responsible for what he says and does not say to fans. Where I live in DC there are a lot of people I am close with who have sensitive government jobs and they don't talk shop with me at all, even if the stuff is not classified information. It is just basic professionalism and common sense, his agent if no one else should have made this clear early in his career.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I agree for the most part, Rush will probably rightfully so be reticent around fans and I personally don't think I would have shared this information with this board. However, Rush is personally responsible for what he says and does not say to fans. Where I live in DC there are a lot of people I am close with who have sensitive government jobs and they don't talk shop with me at all, even if the stuff is not classified information. It is just basic professionalism and common sense, his agent if no one else should have made this clear early in his career.
    Well with Wells stating Rush didn't say this... How can you be sure who to believe?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    ya he told me stuff about the team on Xbox i didn't repay him by telling every1. Thats not cool Brush is a nice dude that's not a way to repay him for being nice too you. He talked to me a lot about JOB
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.

As much as I like to get the raw, uncut thoughts from a player, I would probably be pissed right now if I was Brandon Rush.

He most probably said what he said thinking that he was just having a casual conversation with a fan, i.e. a conversation which would not be published for everyone to read.

I don't think he should ever talk about the team the way he did, except in private settings. But you can hardly blame him for denying having said the things reported by docpaul.

Now Rush needs to sit down and have conversations with George, Collison, AJ and Lance...
    Last edited by Pingu; 09-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Of course Rush would deny this, true or not. I don't see how he could dislike Collison but not Ford. Neither are pass first guys.Collison doesn't appear to be liked by many teammates.

Otherwise I agree with everything that was said.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: