Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not selling on Kerry Collins yet

Default I'm not selling on Kerry Collins yet

I want to see what he can do this Sunday. He's not a horrible option. I honestly think the Colts could stun the Texans this week.

Btw, Addai had the best pre season I've seen from him.

Lets give Collins a shot here. He might suprise us. I think 9 wins takes the South. I'm not sold on the Texans.

Default Re: I'm not selling on Kerry Collins yet

I think the Colts could win this weekend it seems too obvious to pick the Texans but for me Collins isn't really who I'm worried about its really the offensive line protecting Collins. He doesn't have Manning's quick release and I'm afraid they can't protect him well.

If he gets hurt we're stuck with Curtis Painter...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

9 wins might take the South, but if Manning misses the whole year, we will be lucky to get 7 wins.

Mood

Collins is a solid player in my opinion. This guy is a vet who has won before in this league consistently. If he continues to learn the playbook and the o-line can protect him I believe that he will play well, not Peyton Manning well, but definitely as a good servicable vet who will not get frazzled if he makes a mistake. My biggest worry is the running game and our defensive secondary.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Collins isn't horrible, but people are going to see quickly that he is not on Peyton's level. Love or hate Manning, we've been spoiled by him.

Collins is past his prime, but is still probably good enough for a win here or there. I'm seeing a 4-6 win season with him at the helm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collins isn't horrible, but people are going to see quickly that he is not on Peyton's level. Love or hate Manning, we've been spoiled by him.

Collins is past his prime, but is still probably good enough for a win here or there. I'm seeing a 4-6 win season with him at the helm.
    What Colts fans on Earth hates Peyton Manning?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Collins could maybe surprise us here and there, but this team isn't contending for anything. It's a lost season from that standpoint.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Where we'll notice a huge difference is late in close games and if the Colts fall behind. There will be no comebacks either in the last minute or two, nor just in general if they fall behind in the first half.

So that is 3 or 4 games lost right there.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You'd be surprised. I know at least three, personally.

That is insane. I guess it goes to show you can't please everyone.

The puzzle pieces are starting to fall into place.....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

We're just along for the ride at this point. I wouldn't mind a "nobody believed in us!" type run this season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    We're just along for the ride at this point. I wouldn't mind a "nobody believed in us!" type run this season.
    There's definitely potential for it too. Everyone is writing us off. We play in a very weak division. I, personally, don't see it happening, but wouldn't be completely blown away if it did.

Here's the way I look at it, sure the Colts changing on a dime from Peyton to Kerry Collins would be catastrophic, but we have some time to adjust. We know Peyton isn't walking through that door so to speak. It's a lot different than if Peyton went down in like week 7 we were just left holding our dicks. We've had the time to know he wasn't going to play. Anyone who says otherwise within the Colts org. is just bullshi++ing. And certainly Polian et. al. aren't so arrogant that they don't realize that the Colts will have to fundamentally change without Peyton...right?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Anyone else think Gerrard would be a better pickup? The Colts aren't going to beat anyone downfield, and their running game is a mess. Gerrard can make the intermediate/short passes and he has the ability to run the ball.

Addai is great at picking up the blitz, and catching the ball out of the backfield.

I think it's a lot better option. Right now I see teams simply dropping into coverage and not worrying about the run all that much. The Colts couldn't run the ball even with Manning's ability to read the defense and his play action passing.

I just don't think Kerry has enough left in the tank to carry an offense. I understand it's a shortened season since no one went through OTAs and even the preseason, but I still think it's a better option.

My wife for one. She hates his whinny attitude when someone screws up. Of course she ain't a diehard fan like I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I just don't think Kerry has enough left in the tank to carry an offense. I understand it's a shortened season since no one went through OTAs and even the preseason, but I still think it's a better option.
    I think he is worth a look at. I personally don't like putting all the chips on a 40+ quarterback.

I honestly hope the Colts DON'T do well. IMO, there's just not enough without Peyton to do anything substantial. I don't want them to go 9-7, stumble into the playoffs, and get destroyed in the first round. I'd rather they go 4-12, get a high caliber defensive player/WR, and get Peyton back at the helm ready to go with a much improved team next year.

I'd also play all the rooks on the o-line. I want them ready for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    My wife for one. She hates his whinny attitude when someone screws up. Of course she ain't a diehard fan like I am.
    I bet she loved Jermaine O'Neal...

I bet she loved Jermaine O'Neal...
    And Stephen Jackson.

I think Collins still has something left. I don't think he will be bad. He will do better then whoever the Colts could have drafted or signed as a backup, IMO.

It will be interesting to see what changes this team makes. Will they run the ball more or find a way to run it better? They have to because Collins can't throw it 40-50 times a game like Peyton does.

I am not excited for the season but I am interested to see what changes the Colts make.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Anyone else think Gerrard would be a better pickup? The Colts aren't going to beat anyone downfield, and their running game is a mess. Gerrard can make the intermediate/short passes and he has the ability to run the ball.

Addai is great at picking up the blitz, and catching the ball out of the backfield.

I think it's a lot better option. Right now I see teams simply dropping into coverage and not worrying about the run all that much. The Colts couldn't run the ball even with Manning's ability to read the defense and his play action passing.

He's younger and more mobile than Collins. That would actually be useful in this case.

I expect Collins to be pretty craptastic. Everything about him looks slow...feet, release, demeanor. Of course, he probably won't be comfortable with the offense/players until week three or four since it took him so long to get in here.

I hope I am wrong, but we're not talking the same Kerry Collins now as the years of deep playoffs and superbowl. Even then, I never thought he was more than mediocre. Here he doesn't have the run game and defense surrounding him either.

I'd estimate 8 wins best case scenario, assuming unexpected improvement in running the ball and on defense. More likely 5-6 range. Garrard would essentially be replacing Collins with a more mobile version of Collins without the track record of success. In other words, it would basically be a wash.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I expect Collins to be pretty craptastic. Everything about him looks slow...feet, release, demeanor. Of course, he probably won't be comfortable with the offense/players until week three or four since it took him so long to get in here.

I hope I am wrong, but we're not talking the same Kerry Collins now as the years of deep playoffs and superbowl. Even then, I never thought he was more than mediocre. Here he doesn't have the run game and defense surrounding him either.

I'd estimate 8 wins best case scenario, assuming unexpected improvement in running the ball and on defense. More likely 5-6 range. Garrard would essentially be replacing Collins with a more mobile version of Collins without the track record of success. In other words, it would basically be a wash.
    At least garrard would be a top 25 qb...I thought about the other day and I think I would take about 28 other qbs (without looking at anything) over Kerry collins. At his prime Collins was a top 20 qb and he doesn't have tiki barber or Chris Johnson anymore.

Mood

The thing about the NFL is literally any team can win and win a championship. That is the beauty in the sport if you get into the playoffs anything can happen and that has been proven in the past. Many teams go from worst to first and vice verse. That is the beauty i find in the NFL it is the most fair league and all teams have a shot to compete for a ring. In the NBA bad teams can make the playoffs but they have no shot a a ring and gives many fan bases little hope for success. In the NFL if you win your division or get a wildcard all that matters is your team is playing well. If they are you can win a superbowl. Any given Sunday anybody can beat anybody that is why I love the NFL. With that said the Colts dont have much of a chance but in the NFL there is a chance. You guys play in a weak division if your team plays well anything can happen.