Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jake Query: Peyton's out for the year

Default Re: Jake Query: Peyton's out for the year

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone watch USC? If so, is Matt Barkley really NFL caliber?
    Seems to be a 1st rounder, not sure if they'd wanna take a QB that high assuming Peyton really gets back. I'm thinking maybe Nick Foles from Arizona in the 2nd. Being high enough in the draft to get Jared Crick in the 1st could be pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 09-08-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why roll the dice with the draft. I'd rather offer Cincy one of my draft picks for Palmer assuming he'd un-retire.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Ugh.....just read an article on SI.com that this is the same injury/surgery that ended Sterling Sharpe's career. The doctor in the article says think of the spine like a chain, and you welded two links together in the middle. Peyton's range of motion will never be the same. Man I'm glad they got a Super Bowl ring.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...igoogle_sports
    Sharpes injury was to C1 to C2. Not all these injuries are the same and what a wr has to do on the field is different than that of a QB when it involves the neck.

IF his nerves regenerate then I think he will be fine. Even the Hsu study had only 8 qbs in it, four of which had the surgery. Plain and simple there isn't alot of information on how Qbs come back from the surgery but considering Manning is the least hit QB in the league I am hopeful that he will come back to play for the Colts.

Table 3. NFL Players Diagnosed With a Cervical Disc Herniation Classified by Position />>>
    Position>>
    No. Players>>
    No. Operative>>
    No. Nonoperative>>
    No. Players Expected>>
    Defensive lineman
    Offensive lineman
    Linebacker
    Defensive back
    Running back
    Tight end
    Wide receiver
    Quarterback
    Kicker

Why roll the dice with the draft. I'd rather offer Cincy one of my draft picks for Palmer assuming he'd un-retire.
    Thats a great idea..
    Last edited by Gamble1; 09-08-2011 at 06:52 PM.

By the way anyone who wants to read the full report of HSU study you have to go to medscape and register as a user. IMO scientifically at first glance it doesn't seem very informative.

This is sorta gross so I'll just link it, computer animation of the surgery

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This is sorta gross so I'll just link it, computer animation of the surgery
    I would retire if I was Peyton lol that is sick.

If it was the 2005 Palmer he'd be worth the risk... as he is now?

We're better off with Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Does anyone watch USC? If so, is Matt Barkley really NFL caliber?
    Only the one time they play ND and no he's not really NFL caliber at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Why is everyone always so quick to crap all over the Indy fans?

The Colts before Manning had been here a mere 14 years and had virtually no established history here. Now they do. It takes time to build a fan base. Places like Buffalo and Cleveland have had teams for an eternity. Indy is a small market with NFL teams all around it. It just takes time to build an identity in a place. For a long time, many viewed the Cotls as being imposters from Baltimore, but it's hard to call them now. Now they have a winning tradition in Indy.

Let's just wait and see how Colts fans react after Manning's career is over before we write them off as being nothing but a bunch of bandwagoners.
    Well you've seen the Pacers haven't you? Back when Manning was drafted they were the darling team of the town all about basketball it is after all Indiana.

Then he won us over and so did the Colts. Meanwhile the Pacers started to age and fall apart even more after Reggie retired. And now you couldn't pay anyone to go to a game.

I also think it has more to do with the NBA not being nearly as popular now as it was when Jordan was playing (and the Pacers were in the mix too)

Now NFL is king and well anything associated with it was must see. But it was mostly because of Manning.

If anything we'll see if this is a Colts town or a Manning town.

Sadly I'm leaning towards the latter here.

Pro Football Talk says Carson Palmer has been working out like crazy for several weeks and may well force the Bengals hand tomorrow by showing up for work. Their options would be to trade him or pay him.

He hasn't looked good in recent years, but the Bengals have been so dysfunctional it's hard to tell how much of that is on Palmer.

I've criticized how the Colts handled certain injuries in the past, but I don't fault them at all here. I think they are just as stunned/shocked/clueless as the rest of us. This has blindsided them just as much as it has us fans. Manning was practicing last week and I think they believed he'd be ready to go on Sunday. The Colts aren't saying much because there is really nothing to say.
    I get what you're saying but my disdain for them over this entire situation was that they never had a real Plan B for something like this happening. I mean did they really think Manning would never miss a game at some point?

That maybe investing in a capable backup would you know be smart.

I mean the Packers, Patriots and Steelers have capable backups and they're also SB contenders.

We apparently don't follow that logic and its coming back to bite us.

Its an exception that he managed to last 208 games

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    its peytons own fault... he should have gotten the surgery in February instead of May and we probably wouldn't be having this problem
    That's not entirely true sure I wish he had it earlier but even if he did surgery is usually the last resort. Its possible he felt okay if Feb but couldn't take it anymore in May.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Pro Football Talk says Carson Palmer has been working out like crazy for several weeks and may well force the Bengals hand tomorrow by showing up for work. Their options would be to trade him or pay him.

He hasn't looked good in recent years, but the Bengals have been so dysfunctional it's hard to tell how much of that is on Palmer.

or make him play. He cant refuse to play but show up to work and still get paid. Mr. Brown is just stubborn enough to actually force Carson to start and play and not just sit the bench collecting a pay check like Carson wants. They arent trading him Mr. Brown has too big of ego for that.(just from watching Hard Knocks i can tell that. The Bengals are a terribly ran organization but Carson is pretty selfish for what he is doing and lost my respect.

I actually amire Palmer for standing up against the worst owner and worst run organization in all of sports, with little to gain and many $$$$s to lose.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ss-a-physical/

Jim Irsay and the Colts FO is an idiot for this IMO. Peyton could make 20m this year not even playing and the Colts didnt even make him pass a physical? Just stupid that money could of been used on other things this year.

Mood

I actually amire Palmer for standing up against the worst owner and worst run organization in all of sports, with little to gain and many $$$$s to lose.
    I dont know the way he just demanded a trade out of no where didnt sit well for me. What reason did he have to want to be traded? He makes tons of money and had it made in Cinnic. He was never gonna win a superbowl but he wasnt a good enough QB to lead his team solely to a superbowl like a Manning. He is very overrated IMO. It wasnt like he is underpaid and they wouldn't pay him I guess I just don't know enough about the situation to make a fair judgement. I just dont know why he wanted out.

I think Palmer realized (and I don't know why it took so long) that

the Bengals have the worst training facilities in the NFL,
    the worst scouting department in the NFL,
    the worst player evaluation ability in the NFL,
    the most unused salary cap space in the NFL year after year (or near the top),
    the least desire to win of any organization in the NFL,
    and are in general just an all-around joke.

The only reason to show up was to collect a paycheck. He just decided that nearly every other team in the NFL wants to win, and he was wasting his time in an organization where that attitude is a foreign concept.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I would retire if I was Peyton lol that is sick.
    How is that gross or sick? Medical technology is awesome.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ss-a-physical/

Jim Irsay and the Colts FO is an idiot for this IMO. Peyton could make 20m this year not even playing and the Colts didnt even make him pass a physical? Just stupid that money could of been used on other things this year.
    What's it really matter? The article clearly states he passed a physical later and was cleared to play BEFORE suffering the setback.

Mood

I think Palmer realized (and I don't know why it took so long) that

the Bengals have the worst training facilities in the NFL,
    the worst scouting department in the NFL,
    the worst player evaluation ability in the NFL,
    the most unused salary cap space in the NFL year after year (or near the top),
    the least desire to win of any organization in the NFL,
    and are in general just an all-around joke.

The only reason to show up was to collect a paycheck. He just decided that nearly every other team in the NFL wants to win, and he was wasting his time in an organization where that attitude is a foreign concept.
    I agree 100% on everything you said but..

I just dont get why he signed that contract extension. It wasnt like the Bengals keep franchising him he willingly said I want to stay a Bengal and got paid like an elite QB(which he is not). I just dont get what changed the Bengals have been a joke for years the Brown family is a joke. He should of just pulled a Eli Manning draft night if he wanted to win but I cant fell bad for him now. He decided he wanted to be a Bengal when he signed that contract so it really is his fault

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    A second source says the 3rd surgery was for herniated discs in his lower back, nothing to do with his neck.

I love unnamed sources.
    If this is true, Peyton's career is over. Many people are on disability for the same injury, including my father and the mother of a friend of mine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is it sad (or typical) that I'm already thinking we should consider tanking the season?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ugh.....just read an article on SI.com that this is the same injury/surgery that ended Sterling Sharpe's career. The doctor in the article says think of the spine like a chain, and you welded two links together in the middle. Peyton's range of motion will never be the same. Man I'm glad they got a Super Bowl ring.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...igoogle_sports

You bringing up Sterling Sharpe made me look up his stats and MAN WAS THAT GUY GOOD. It's a football tragedy that he had to retire so soon.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SharSt00.htm

18 TD's for his last season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why is everyone always so quick to crap all over the Indy fans?
    Because there is no historical precedent of this city supporting a non-winner. Heck, it has already begun.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...70/detail.html

People I know in Indy just have a totally different attitude toward their team when they lose as opposed to people in D.C. who have lived here forever and live and die by the Redskins. The Redskins are absolutely awful and have the worst owner in sports but you never hear people say, "I hate the Redskins" when they lose. People still go to the games, wear Redskins gear, and cheer the team. However, my buddies in Indy get completely visceral when the Colts lose and typically say that they hate the Colts and the Colts suck. Basically, they have no tolerance for a losing team and seem to take it for granted that they will always be there. In contrast, people here enjoy the Redskins no matter what because even though they've been here forever you can never really know with crazy Dany Snyder.

Look, everyone on here knows that I question Polian's decision making, but I have loved the Colts since I was a little kid when the QB was Jeff George and we were losing field goal battles to the Buffalo Bills. I'll always support the Colts even from hundreds of miles away. I just wish others would do the same.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

revisiting a Bob Kravitz article after the draft:

http://www.indy.com/posts/bob-kravit...eplace-manning

Bob Kravitz: There's no need to rush to replace Manning
    May 01, 2011 by indystar | Staff

Once again, the Indianapolis Colts properly answered the burning question, "When do they bring in Peyton Manning’s heir apparent?’’

The answer after this week’s draft: not yet.

Let the New England Patriots worry about finding their quarterback of the future. The Colts are worried about preserving their quarterback of the present.

That’s why, instead of drafting a Ryan Mallett, who may never take a snap as a member of the New England Patriots, the Colts surrounded Manning with two more offensive linemen; a defensive lineman; a bowling-ball third-and-short running back, and another defensive back.

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when the Colts should begin looking for Manning’s replacement, but I know this much: not now and not for another year or three.

“There’s a period of time when you can have a transition, or an apprenticeship, if you will,‘’ Bill Polian said Saturday. "Clearly, one year and you can go as far as three and perhaps four years before a player, to borrow a term from Marv Levy, before a player begins to rust. Now, I’m not setting out a time frame by which we have to acquire someone (to succeed Manning). I mean, you can do that by trade in a day. But somewhere between one and four (years) seems to be the right number for a guy to do his apprenticeship.’’

Manning is 35 years old and has never suffered a major injury. There’s no reason to think he won’t continue to stay near the top of his game for another three years, and continue to play and be very productive for at least another five years, up until he is 40.

In a perfect world, you bring in his replacement one full season and maybe two before Manning retires. So we’re talking 2014? 2015? Maybe later?

There’s no rush.

But it’s going to be on management’s mind as it moves forward. More, it’s going to be on Chris Polian’s mind; this was the first draft he’s truly led, and it’s going to be his challenging and wholly unenviable job to find the man to follow Manning.

The Colts will not go into a specific draft and say, "This is the year when we have to find the successor.‘’ Instead, they will wait for the right guy to become available, whether that’s next year or two, three years down the line.

“I have a great answer for you, but I know I’m going to foul it up,‘’ Bill Polian said. "There was a song by Hall&Oates, ’When the Right One Comes Along.’ Actually, I can’t remember (who sang it), but that’s the answer, when the right one comes along.’’

At which point, Colts public relations man Craig Kelley chimed in, "It’s England Dan and John Ford Coley. And I’m embarrassed that I know that.’’

Actually, the song was called "Sad To Belong,‘’ but the chorus went, "When the right one comes along.’’

Thank you, Google.

For now, this has all got to be about giving Manning what he needs to fulfill his destiny, to lead the Indianapolis Colts to multiple Super Bowl titles. That means rebuilding the offensive line with Anthony Castonzo and Ben Ijalana. That means upgrading the interior of the defensive line with Drake Nevis. That means improving the running game, specifically addressing the team’s eternal short-yardage woes, with Syracuse running back Delone Carter.

The only concern with this draft class — beyond whether these guys can play, which is the eternal concern — is the fact that the last two players chosen, Carter and Michigan State CB Chris Rucker, have had legal troubles in recent years. The Colts said they did their homework. Sometimes, it works out; see Marlin Jackson. Sometimes, as in the case of Ed Johnson, it doesn’t.

There is no simple primer on how to replace a quarterbacking legend. The Buffalo Bills still haven’t replaced Jim Kelly. Ditto the Denver Broncos after John Elway, and the Miami Dolphins after Dan Marino. It’s even harder now with the salary cap; teams aren’t interested in paying big dollars for a quarterback who might not play for a couple of years.

Still, it’s hard to fathom what the Patriots were doing when they selected Mallett in the third round. Not that Mallett can’t play, or that all the pre-draft rumors about his drinking and/or drug use ranks as anything more than teenaged irresponsibility. The issue is the timing: Why, when you have the 33-year-old Brady newly signed to a four-year deal, do you spend a third-rounder on a guy who probably won’t take a snap as a Patriot?

If you have a Brady or a Manning, you do everything — in the draft and in free agency — with an eye on right now.

These are once-in-the-lifetime-of-a-franchise quarterbacks, and unless Mallett has pass-rushing abilities we’re not aware of, he’s not going to help Brady and Bill Belichick win in the near future.

It’s all about urgency now, about giving Manning every chance to put the finishing touches on that Hall of Fame resume. The Franchise isn’t going anywhere, not for a while.
    His successor? Let him attend his high school senior prom first.