Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jake Query: Peyton's out for the year

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jake Query: Peyton's out for the year

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it sad (or typical) that I'm already thinking we should consider tanking the season?
    I really don't think we are going to have to. Everything this team has done for the past decade was based around Peyton Manning. He makes this entire team function. The offense is advanced and tailored to Manning's no-huddle, fast paced, highly complex approach. Our running backs aren't playmakers so much as blockers for picking up the blitzes Manning gets. Our special teams doesn't need to give us great field position because Manning and the offense are so effective at driving downfield (in a hurry, if need be). The defense is most effective when playing with a lead. Force the other team into passing situations so Freeney and Mathis can wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks. It's up to Manning to get us that lead in the first place. The two minute offense at the end of halves and games has been critical for our success in the Manning era; that's now gone. We have done such a poor job of drafting that we don't have many playmakers on offense, our offensive line is still a huge question mark...I mean, yeah. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Manning is the most indispensable player in football, maybe even team sports. I want to give us 3 or 4 wins this year, but I think our winning culture we have sustained will have us in the 6 win range.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Because there is no historical precedent of this city supporting a non-winner. Heck, it has already begun.

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports...70/detail.html

People I know in Indy just have a totally different attitude toward their team when they lose as opposed to people in D.C. who have lived here forever and live and die by the Redskins. The Redskins are absolutely awful and have the worst owner in sports but you never hear people say, "I hate the Redskins" when they lose. People still go to the games, wear Redskins gear, and cheer the team. However, my buddies in Indy get completely visceral when the Colts lose and typically say that they hate the Colts and the Colts suck. Basically, they have no tolerance for a losing team and seem to take it for granted that they will always be there. In contrast, people here enjoy the Redskins no matter what because even though they've been here forever you can never really know with crazy Dany Snyder.

Look, everyone on here knows that I question Polian's decision making, but I have loved the Colts since I was a little kid when the QB was Jeff George and we were losing field goal battles to the Buffalo Bills. I'll always support the Colts even from hundreds of miles away. I just wish others would do the same.
    Yeah, I tend to agree. I have been in Cleveland just over three months and I can tell you that these fans are on a whole other level than Indy fans. Their teams suck but they still support them with enthusiasm. It's really great to see it actually, and I wish Indy fans were a little better in that regard. I think I have a bad taste in my mouth from this whole Pacers episode. When they were winning, they were the toast of the town and the Colts were afterthoughts. When the tables turn, suddenly we have the worst attendance in the league and apathy is running rampant through the streets of Indy. It just kind of pisses me off.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    revisiting a Bob Kravitz article after the draft:

http://www.indy.com/posts/bob-kravit...eplace-manning

Well yeah, that column was spot on at the time. Manning was at the top of his game in 2010 and was showing no signs of slowing down. He looked like he easily had 4-5 years left in him. That column was written before Peyton even had the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Why roll the dice with the draft. I'd rather offer Cincy one of my draft picks for Palmer assuming he'd un-retire.
    Never thought about that... I hope the Colt at least made that call when they found out how serious the situation was

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Well yeah, that column was spot on at the time. Manning was at the top of his game in 2010 and was showing no signs of slowing down.
    I wouldn't say "no signs".

In 2010 he has his lowest passer rating since 2002 (just 10th best in the league), his highest number of interceptions since 2002, his lowest number of yards per attempt in his career, his lowest number of yards per completion in his career.

20/20 hindsight, I know, but there was pretty clear evidence that he was not physically right last year, especially late in the year.

Those are the numbers you get when you're passing to players like Blair White and Jacob Tamme.

Ryan Kerrigan, a rook for the Redskins, had this exact procedure. (from what I've been told) He was a DE at Purdue, and is now playing linebacker for Wash. If a player taking that much contact can hold up, I would think Peyton has a pretty good shot at it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

revisiting a Bob Kravitz article after the draft:

http://www.indy.com/posts/bob-kravit...eplace-manning

Wait a minute...so... was...wrong about something?!

In 2010 he has his lowest passer rating since 2002 (just 10th best in the league), his highest number of interceptions since 2002, his lowest number of yards per attempt in his career, his lowest number of yards per completion in his career.

20/20 hindsight, I know, but there was pretty clear evidence that he was not physically right last year, especially late in the year.

He had one more interception (17) than he did in his spectacular 2009 MVP season (16). He threw for the same amount of touchdowns in 2010 as he did in 09 (33). He's thrown 33 three times (00,09,10), which is the second highest total of his career. He also threw for 4700 yards last year, the highest of his career.

He had a couple of really bad games that put a dent on his stats. He was dealing with a revolving door of injuries and a bad o-line with no run game. Not making excuses, just stating facts. Overall, he was spectacular as usual. Yeah it was his lowest rating sine 02, but like I said, it was a couple of games that dragged him down. Besides, 03-09 are a collection of some of the greatest passer ratings ever. He was still a fantastic QB last year.

EIGHT of Manning's 17 picks last year came in the SD and Dallas games (4 each). So he basically had half of his season picks in those two games. He threw 4 TD's total in those two games. So that means he threw for 29 TDs and just 9 picks in the other 14 games. See, overall he was superb last season. Not his best season ever, but still a pretty darn good one. A typical Manning one. If weren't for those two godawful games then he would have had a QB rating in the mid-high 90's.

There was no reason to think Manning was on the downside last year.

Have the Pats started planning for life without Brady? He's only 17 months younger than Peyton, you know.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.

IT pretty tough to separate the forest from the trees here. The Colts had to many injuries on the offensive side of the ball to really point to his lower production.

He had a operation though last year so it was something that was nagging IMO at some point well before the season started.

More form Kravitz, consider these statements

Kravitz in May (linked earlier):

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when the Colts should begin looking for Manning’s replacement, but I know this much: not now and not for another year or three. (Note; there was nothing in the article indicating he was against this idea!)

Kravitz, in August:

The Colts continue to play with fire with their backup quarterback spot....If Manning does go down, and the Colts are stuck with their current pair, I retain the right to say, 'I told you so.'

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...erback-lacking

wow, just wow.

What a writer!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Schefter says if worse comes to worst we can basically terminate that big new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Can't really bandwagon hop during a lockout, one that is probably going to take away the entire season, if not, most of it.
    PROBABLY?

Do you even want there to be a season? The whole "no season/a lot of games missed" nonsense is really old now.

More progress that things will be resolves sooner than later.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    PROBABLY?

Do you even want there to be a season? The whole "no season/a lot of games missed" nonsense is really old now.

More progress that things will be resolves sooner than later.
    You coming in here and telling us to "Jump the Pacers bandwagon...oh sorry for Peyton" when at this point there isn't even another bandwagon to jump to is kind if silly, though.

Just kind of struck me the wrong way, I suppose.

Also, of course I want a basketball season. Just doesn't look too good right now.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    You coming in here and telling us to "Jump the Pacers bandwagon...oh sorry for Peyton" when at this point there isn't even another bandwagon to jump to is kind if silly, though.

Just kind of struck me the wrong way, I suppose.

Also, of course I want a basketball season. Just doesn't look too good right now.
    I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I think you took it the wrong way.

I would think the last thing I'd try to do on PACERS Digest is try to convert people to be Pacers fans.

Disregarding the NBA ****, the Pacers clearly have a much brighter future than the Colts do which will be an appealing thing for Indy fans.

I'm just throwing a little humor out there because it's going to happen soon or later and I also feel bad for Peyton. Nothing wrong with that, right?
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Itís hard to pinpoint exactly when the Colts should begin looking for Manningís replacement, but I know this much: not now and not for another year or three. (Note; there was nothing in the article indicating he was against this idea!)

Kravitz, in August:

The Colts continue to play with fire with their backup quarterback spot....If Manning does go down, and the Colts are stuck with their current pair, I retain the right to say, 'I told you so.'

wow, just wow.

What a writer!
    This says it all. I wish it was also all that had to say.

Itís hard to pinpoint exactly when the Colts should begin looking for Manningís replacement, but I know this much: not now and not for another year or three. (Note; there was nothing in the article indicating he was against this idea!)

Kravitz, in August:

wow, just wow.

What a writer!

There's a difference between looking for Manning's permanent replacement and having an adequate backup for him. Kravitz isn't necessarily contradicting himself here.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's a difference between looking for Manning's permanent replacement and having an adequate backup for him. Kravitz isn't necessarily contradicting himself here.
    I was just going to post this! Good point!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

He had one more interception (17) than he did in his spectacular 2009 MVP season (16). He threw for the same amount of touchdowns in 2010 as he did in 09 (33). He's thrown 33 three times (00,09,10), which is the second highest total of his career. He also threw for 4700 yards last year, the highest of his career.

He had a couple of really bad games that put a dent on his stats. He was dealing with a revolving door of injuries and a bad o-line with no run game. Not making excuses, just stating facts. Overall, he was spectacular as usual. Yeah it was his lowest rating sine 02, but like I said, it was a couple of games that dragged him down. Besides, 03-09 are a collection of some of the greatest passer ratings ever. He was still a fantastic QB last year.

EIGHT of Manning's 17 picks last year came in the SD and Dallas games (4 each). So he basically had half of his season picks in those two games. He threw 4 TD's total in those two games. So that means he threw for 29 TDs and just 9 picks in the other 14 games. See, overall he was superb last season. Not his best season ever, but still a pretty darn good one. A typical Manning one. If weren't for those two godawful games then he would have had a QB rating in the mid-high 90's.

There was no reason to think Manning was on the downside last year.

Have the Pats started planning for life without Brady? He's only 17 months younger than Peyton, you know.

Of course they have ever since he tore his ACL/MCL 3 years ago. Belichick isn't attached to anyone if he can find someone younger and better than Brady he'll dump him ASAP.

They think ahead and plan for everyone.

The Colts clearly have not otherwise we wouldn't be having this problem right now.

They didn't even ask him to take a physical before signing that contract how stupid are they for that?