Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: JMV is tweeting Peyton needs a 2nd neck procedure

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: JMV is tweeting Peyton needs a 2nd neck procedure

I've never been so depressed about a piece of sports news. This is just awful.

I always knew one day Manning's luck would run out. I just thought that he'd be near 40 as opposed to 35 when that happened. I figured he'd easily challenge Favre's streak and would still be tossing bombs at 40 like Favre did. Hopefully he still can, but like BnG said, this is very very very scary. We aren't talking about normal injuries like bones/ligaments, we are talking about a sensitive area of the neck that he's already had two procedures on.

Most importantly, I just hope he can be comfortable for the rest of his life.

It still hasn't completely hit me that Manning will not be taking snaps for us on Sunday and who knows how far beyond. I remember thinking it felt weird when Harrison wasn't out there 4 years ago, but this is just on another stratosphere. Manning gives us our identity.

Peyton has done nothing but be a complete professional since arriving here. He has represented Indianapolis/Indiana with utmost class and has been an invaluable asset for this area.

I can't imagine how depressed he must be feeling right now. This has to be killing him. If it's rough on us fans then just imagine how horrible it is for him.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-08-2011 at 08:29 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Hopefully this turns out to be a David Robinson injury yielding Tim Duncan situation for the Colts. Unfortunately, that looks to be the BEST case at this point.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

JMV was 100% correct, he has some pretty good sources. Manning just had Fusion surgery today, out 2 to 3 months

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69...ck-sources-say
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never been so depressed about a piece of sports news. This is just awful.

I always knew one day Manning's luck would run out. I just thought that he'd be near 40 as opposed to 35 when that happened. I figured he'd easily challenge Favre's streak and would still be tossing bombs at 40 like Favre did. Hopefully he still can, but like BnG said, this is very very very scary. We aren't talking about normal injuries like bones/ligaments, we are talking about a sensitive area of the neck that he's already had two procedures on.

Most importantly, I just hope he can be comfortable for the rest of his life.

It still hasn't completely hit me that Manning will not be taking snaps for us on Sunday and who knows how far beyond. I remember thinking it felt weird when Harrison wasn't out there 4 years ago, but this is just on another stratosphere. Manning gives us our identity.

Peyton has done nothing but be a complete professional since arriving here. He has represented Indianapolis/Indiana with utmost class and has been an invaluable asset for this area.

I can't imagine how depressed he must be feeling right now. This has to be killing him. If it's rough on us fans then just imagine how horrible it is for him.
    Keep it in perspective. He will always be known as one of the best QB's in history and it's not like he's 28. He will be 36 in 6 months and he holds NFL records. He has a spectacular winning percentage. He has a ring.

Yes, it will be hard on him regardless because he is a great competitor and leader...but I guess I'm more concerned about his health than whether or not he plays again. He will probably not be thinking that way...but I bet his dad is.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Kerry Collins was around 2-12 as the starter for the Titans the past 2 years(saw it on espn). and He had Chris Johnson to hand the ball off too. I think anything over 3 wins would be a miracle the Colts defense and running game is that bad.

(if Manning is done for the year)

Hey if we get Andrew Luck and he's the next Peyton then he did us a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Hey if we get Andrew Luck and he's the next Peyton then he did us a favor.
    Yup, and then in another decade when we only win one Super Bowl with Luck you can complain about him too

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yup, and then in another decade when we only win one Super Bowl with Luck you can complain about him too
    It depends if Luck is the once in a lifetime player Manning is.

If not the expectations would be lowered.

It depends if Luck is the once in a lifetime player Manning is.

If not the expectations would be lowered.
    Is Tom Brady a once in a lifetime player?

Is Tom Brady a once in a lifetime player?
    No he overachieved with his draft status. Plus I always thought the defense was the strongest part of that team.

The Hooded One seems to have forgotten that. They've become what the Colts were before the SB win.. Great regular season but exposed in the playoffs easily.

I do think Brady is a better QB now than back then.

To me Manning is like Jordan(as much as I loathe him) more is expected.

Jordan would never be held in high regard if he only one 1 ring but management at least devoted the time to build a team around him and got a great coach(even though he's better at coaching stars above all else)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No he overachieved with his draft status. Plus I always thought the defense was the strongest part of that team.

The Hooded One seems to have forgotten that. They've become what the Colts were before the SB win.. Great regular season but exposed in the playoffs easily.

I do think Brady is a better QB now than back then.

To me Manning is like Jordan(as much as I loathe him) more is expected.

Jordan would never be held in high regard if he only one 1 ring but management at least devoted the time to build a team around him and got a great coach(even though he's better at coaching stars above all else)
    Peyton Manning is no where near Jordan. What separated Jordan was his swagger and his confidence that he would get the job done. Peyton to me specially early choked in clutch moments.(even in his superbowl win he played poor just rex and the bear offense choked that game away as well) But it is almost impossible to compare basketball and football. Jordan was the best offensive player of his era and one of the best defenders in his era and had the best intangibles of all time.

Honestly with the way the league has evolved i would say these once in a lifetime QBs are becoming a lot more common. IMO the game is changing and the QB's are getting much much better. Just look at how many great QBs are playing right now there are a ton. Or maybe thats just my opinion but it seems like there are 5 or 6 (maybe more)QBs who are HOF type QBs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Peyton Manning is no where near Jordan. What separated Jordan was his swagger and his confidence that he would get the job done. Peyton to me specially early choked in clutch moments.(even in his superbowl win he played poor just rex and the bear offense choked that game away as well) But it is almost impossible to compare basketball and football. Jordan was the best offensive player of his era and one of the best defenders in his era and had the best intangibles of all time.

Honestly with the way the league has evolved i would say these once in a lifetime QBs are becoming a lot more common. IMO the game is changing and the QB's are getting much much better. Just look at how many great QBs are playing right now there are a ton. Or maybe thats just my opinion but it seems like there are 5 or 6 (maybe more)QBs who are HOF type QBs
    Which, by definition, means they aren't "once in a lifetime" QBs.

Mood

Which, by definition, means they aren't "once in a lifetime" QBs.
    ya but as a Bears fan Jay Cutler is once in a life time lol (no really we havent had a player this good since maybe ever I guess the 30-40s was the last time we had Cutler caliber in Sid Luckman. ) (buying media guides and programs at Bears games is paying off )

honestly

Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees ,Rivers

I am dead tiered i know i am leaving someone out. But I guess when I hear once in a lifetime QB I assume for your franchise?

As much as I hate Rodgers he and Manning, Brady and Drew Brees are locks for that tag IMO like i said I would throw a few more in. But my interruption may be different because the Bears haven't had a great QB like that ever really lol

Once in a lifetime, to me, means this is a special talent that you just don't ever see but once in your lifetime. The guys you listed are just elite quarterbacks in the league right now.

I was referring to how indispensible they are but then again even the Bulls got 50 wins and went deep in the playoffs without Jordan. Even Jordan needed help all of them do. But like I said if he only won 1 ring he'd never be called the "GOAT"

Do you see the Colts do that without Manning? I don't think so.

Mood

Once in a lifetime, to me, means this is a special talent that you just don't ever see but once in your lifetime. The guys you listed are just elite quarterbacks in the league right now.
    If Manning is once in a life time then so is Brady. I just think we will have to agree to disagree if you say Manning is the only once in a life time talent at QB currently in the NFL.

If Manning is once in a life time then so is Brady. I just think we will have to agree to disagree if you say Manning is the only once in a life time talent at QB currently in the NFL.
    I never said that. Basketball Fan said that.

Whether or not Peyton Manning is a "once in a lifetime QB", don't expect to see one this good in Indy the rest of your life.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Whether or not Peyton Manning is a "once in a lifetime QB", don't expect to see one this good in Indy the rest of your life.
    That's what is so amazing about the Packers. They had someone like that with Favre, and now lo and behold, they have another one in Aaron Rodgers!

That's what is so amazing about the Packers. They had someone like that with Favre, and now lo and behold, they have another one in Aaron Rodgers!

Still...don't expect it. Not every Joe Montana is followed by a Steve Young.

I suppose the Colts did have Johnny Unitas...but let's just say that's been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Still...don't expect it. Not every Joe Montana is followed by a Steve Young.

I suppose the Colts did have Johnny Unitas...but let's just say that's been awhile.
    Oh no I expect more a situation like the Dolphins had after Marino, although hopefully it doesn't get that gruesome.

I certainly don't take Peyton for granted.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh no, theres nothing amazing about it! We should expect this!

Kyle Orton should be our #3 QB too! Polian is just a bum.

Remember?

ya but as a Bears fan Jay Cutler is once in a life time lol (no really we havent had a player this good since maybe ever I guess the 30-40s was the last time we had Cutler caliber in Sid Luckman. ) (buying media guides and programs at Bears games is paying off )

honestly

Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees ,Rivers

I am dead tiered i know i am leaving someone out. But I guess when I hear once in a lifetime QB I assume for your franchise?

As much as I hate Rodgers he and Manning, Brady and Drew Brees are locks for that tag IMO like i said I would throw a few more in. But my interruption may be different because the Bears haven't had a great QB like that ever really lol
    Out of all those guys you listed Rivers has the best WR/TE core. A big wr makes a Qb look great much like a fast/big TE.

IMO you have to evaluate qbs by their teams which is hard because there are so many variables. The throws that Brady did to win superbowls weren't extreme. He was the best game manager of his generation no question. Manning isn't the best game manager because the team is built for him to win one way which is through him. He can't rely on his defense like Rodgers or Brady. He has to carry more of a load.

The funny thing is that you didn't mention Big Ben which is exactly my point. He moves the chains much like Culpepper did but he is backed by one of the best defenses ever. I would be hard pressed to come up with a team that had a better defense every year for the last 5-8 years..

Personally after Manning I hope we get a Big Ben type and build the team to be more balanced. The steelers have the best model franchise for winning IMO and thats what I want not necessarily the best Qb ever of our life time.

Mood

As much as I hate the Packers I respect the hell out of their FO Ted Thomson is a genius. That team this year is so deep maybe one of the deepest of all time. Their 1st round pick Derrek Sherrod was inactive Thursday and he is healthy. The Packers and NE are so well run teams it seems like they always find gems in the draft. I hate the Packers but their FO is so good. The

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Oh no, theres nothing amazing about it! We should expect this!

Kyle Orton should be our #3 QB too! Polian is just a bum.

Remember?
    He should be behind Collins they got the wrong Purdue QB at #2