Thread: A few thoughts from a worried fan

Default A few thoughts from a worried fan

If the Colts fail to make the playoffs or have another early exit from them, what are the odds Caldwell is gone? IMO I think Caldwell has been on the hot seat from the start. I think he is a mediocre coach at best with his success coming from the players/coordinators more than his own coaching ability. A lot of our success had come from the Moore-Meeks duo, and they are both COMPLETELY(Moore) gone now. I know our D has never been "awesome" but it did enough to get us by in the past. Dungy set the standard with this team and I don't think Caldwell can live up to the high expectations from the fans and the font office. To me it seems like he is just coasting along until his own dooms day. I know what this team can do with Peyton leading the way, but we need a coach to help do this also. I just have a feeling Caldwell will not be here this time next year. And honestly if we have a bad year this year (say 9 or less wins) it will be EXTREMELY hard for us to recover from that seeing how our roster is starting to age. I think we are a player or two removed from being a middle of the pack team in this league and its scary to say that with all of the success we have had with "OK" players on our team in the past.
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

Default Re: A few thoughts from a worried fan

Quote Originally Posted by _The_Future_ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Colts fail to make the playoffs or have another early exit from them, what are the odds Caldwell is gone? IMO I think Caldwell has been on the hot seat from the start. I think he is a mediocre coach at best with his success coming from the players/coordinators more than his own coaching ability. A lot of our success had come from the Moore-Meeks duo, and they are both COMPLETELY(Moore) gone now. I know our D has never been "awesome" but it did enough to get us by in the past. Dungy set the standard with this team and I don't think Caldwell can live up to the high expectations from the fans and the font office. To me it seems like he is just coasting along until his own dooms day. I know what this team can do with Peyton leading the way, but we need a coach to help do this also. I just have a feeling Caldwell will not be here this time next year. And honestly if we have a bad year this year (say 9 or less wins) it will be EXTREMELY hard for us to recover from that seeing how our roster is starting to age. I think we are a player or two removed from being a middle of the pack team in this league and its scary to say that with all of the success we have had with "OK" players on our team in the past.
    I think Caldwell is very much so on the hot seat.

I think he's a terrible pro coach. Heck, I doubt he'd even be a good college coach (His past history showed that he wasn't that great when he was at Wake Forest).

He's nothing more than a product of Dungy and a "Nice Guy" which the Colts like.

We should have/should still hire John Gruden.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

i think caldwell has done a fantastic job. i am not sure he isn't a better coach than dungy

he'd have to stink it up severely for at least the next 2 seasons before the colts even contemplate letting him go
    Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to riverside For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think Caldwell is very much so on the hot seat.

I think he's a terrible pro coach. Heck, I doubt he'd even be a good college coach (His past history showed that he wasn't that great when he was at Wake Forest).

He's nothing more than a product of Dungy and a "Nice Guy" which the Colts like.

We should have/should still hire John Gruden.
    I don't know about the Gruden part but the rest I agree.

That being said even if we got rid of him who's to say their next choice is better. After all Polian still picks the coach.

then Jim Tressel takes over

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is on the hot seat, but if Peyton misses a significant amount of time, I don't think they would fire him because no Peyton means bad things, regardless who is the coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To think the Colts will ever hire a prolific coach such as Gruden when Polian is around is pretty naive, unfortunately. It was somewhat obvious during the Dungy era and even moreso during the Caldwell era that Polian wants to have complete control of everything. We've basically got a Jerry Jones situation on our hands folks, possibly worse. If/when Caldwell is gone, it would actually not surprise me at all if we give a hard look at Wade Phillips.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by riverside View Post
    i think caldwell has done a fantastic job. i am not sure he isn't a better coach than dungy

he'd have to stink it up severely for at least the next 2 seasons before the colts even contemplate letting him go
    Did you miss the playoff game against the Jets last year? jesus...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lurkster For This Useful Post:

Caldwell is simply Polian's puppet. A YES man. And he has horrible in-game decisions.

Beyond that, I've never seen a bit of emotion from the guy - positive or negative. While I don't really care for the spit-spraying Cowher type, the comatose Caldwell type doesn't seem right for football. Something in the middle would be my preference.

And yes, If Manning misses significant time, that will just buy Caldwell another year or so.

Man ............. no NBA season, looks like a really bad football season .............. gonna be a loooooooooong fall and winter around here.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    To think the Colts will ever hire a prolific coach such as Gruden when Polian is around is pretty naive, unfortunately. It was somewhat obvious during the Dungy era and even moreso during the Caldwell era that Polian wants to have complete control of everything. We've basically got a Jerry Jones situation on our hands folks, possibly worse. If/when Caldwell is gone, it would actually not surprise me at all if we give a hard look at Wade Phillips.
    It would only be worse if we don't have a NFL legend at QB. However I see your point at least Jerry owns the team him being in control makes sense.

Polian doesn't even own the Colts but he's given that much power.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have very little if any confidence in Caldwell. I've not been fond of many decisions.

Of course emotion does not make a coach good, but Caldwell is comatose on the side lines. Some emotion IMO would be a good thing.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im fully convinced that Jim Caldwell could head the Colts over consecutive undefeated seasons and 90% of the fanbase would still want him fired yesterday.

I blame O'Brien for ruining it for guys named Jim to coach pro sports in Indianapolis.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    It would only be worse if we don't have a NFL legend at QB. However I see your point at least Jerry owns the team him being in control makes sense.

Polian doesn't even own the Colts but he's given that much power.
    Honestly I think its Irsay and not Polain and the reason being is that I think Irsay believes strongly in promoting from within. He likes the cool calm coaches overall but its his loyality to people he knows and is comfortable with and have proven themselves in some capacity.

Irsay's loyalty to Bill now is reflected in Chris Polain in the same way he was loyal to Dungy and now Caldwell. Overall I think its going to take a lot for him to fire Caldwell and I would be surprised if he brought in a tough line coach. I sure don't see Chris Polain rocking the boat when he just got the keys either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Im fully convinced that Jim Caldwell could head the Colts over consecutive undefeated seasons and 90% of the fanbase would still want him fired yesterday.

I blame O'Brien for ruining it for guys named Jim to coach pro sports in Indianapolis.
    I take it you have forgotten Jim "Playoffs?!" Mora was the coach here before any of them...

Maybe the Colts need a coach in the Manning era not named Jim it worked out with Dungy and his name is Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Honestly I think its Irsay and not Polain and the reason being is that I think Irsay believes strongly in promoting from within. He likes the cool calm coaches overall but its his loyality to people he knows and is comfortable with and have proven themselves in some capacity.

Irsay's loyalty to Bill now is reflected in Chris Polain in the same way he was loyal to Dungy and now Caldwell. Overall I think its going to take a lot for him to fire Caldwell and I would be surprised if he brought in a tough line coach. I sure don't see Chris Polain rocking the boat when he just got the keys either.
    Maybe but he had no problem firing Jim Mora but that's because Dungy was available.

And Mora was probably the last tough coach we had.