Thread: Sweet deals on tattoos and cars await Colts players (Tressel hired)

Default Sweet deals on tattoos and cars await Colts players (Tressel hired)

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Sweet deals on tattoos and cars await Colts players (Tressel hired)

Good coach, good hire. Couldn't care less about the OSU stuff.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he should be suspended the first five games like Pryor.

Absolutely disgusted, especially since now all we're going to be hearing is people calling for Caldwell to be replaced with Pryor.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Someone really needs to explain this to me.

His job is to tell Caldwell when to challenge? Really? Well, I guess it's nice to have someone who can focus on that, but Tressel seems wildly overqualified. Guess he's desperate for something to do.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as I don't like OSU, Pryor and Tressel...if Pryor has to sit 5 games...Tressel should as well. No excuse. Period.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tressel seems wildly overqualified. Guess he's desperate for something to do.
    Maybe Polian wanted a "coach in waiting" in place?

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Haha Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    well he would be waiting pretty far down the line...

Sports Logo

I keep seeing this "well Pryor got suspended, so should Tressel" stuff. Pryor didn't get suspended because of anything that happened at OSU, at least not directly. He got suspended because in the NFL's opinion he "undermined the integrity of draft eligibility." Blame it on Bernie Kosar. Doesn't mean I agree with it (just declare him ineligible for the supplemental draft), but it's not because of the NCAA's ruling.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I keep seeing this "well Pryor got suspended, so should Tressel" stuff. Pryor didn't get suspended because of anything that happened at OSU, at least not directly. He got suspended because in the NFL's opinion he "undermined the integrity of draft eligibility." Blame it on Bernie Kosar. Doesn't mean I agree with it (just declare him ineligible for the supplemental draft), but it's not because of the NCAA's ruling.
    This is the NFL was doing the NCAA's dirty work the interigty of the supplemental draft lol that draft is a draft full of college drop outs or people who got kicked off their teams. The NFL suspended him because thats what college football wanted. But Pryor should protest his suspension which is total he has done nothing wrong,

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's BS and you know it. How exactly did he undermine the integrity of anything relating to the draft?
    Last edited by Stryder; 09-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Banned

How much does he make ? I have been watching the Colts since 1987. I would gladly be a game day consultant for a ticket and parking pass on a 1099 form.

This is just a case of gross overspending by an organization!!!!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    That's BS and you know it. How exactly did he undermine the integrity of anything relating to the draft?
    Because he had eligibility remaining, fine academic standing, and wasn't kicked off the team.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    That was the first thought that crossed my mind after this

Well second thought

My first thought was: Huh? WTF?

I could totally see Polian throw Caldwell under the bus if things fall apart or he feels the heat.

Tressel would be there in line as the new "hire" they tend to hire within otherwise no way would Caldwell have gotten the job here otherwise.

Personally I'm glad that there is a game day consultant if Caldwell can't handle it at least he got someone who can help him.

However Jim Tressel? Really? He was great in college despite the scandal but that doesn't mean it translate to the NFL either.

At least players are allowed to get tattooes and cars at their whim so he doesn't have to deal with that.

Most of the articles actually seemed to indicate Caldwell and Tressel are friends, or at least have a long relationship and Caldwell. I think this may be a case of one friend giving another one a job.

My first thought was actually how strange to go from Ohio State coach to "DVR man."

Mood

Tressel gets six-game suspension from Colts
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT

On Saturday, we reported that the Colts had hired former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel without league approval, and that Commissioner Roger Goodell would take a hard look at whether, like former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor, his entry to the NFL should be delayed.

And it will be delayed.

The Colts have announced that Tressel will begin working for the team in their seventh game, which means that Tressel will be suspended for six games.

“After the announcement of Coach Jim Tressel’s agreement to join the Colts as a game day consultant, questions were raised with respect to the equity of his appointment as opposed to suspensions being served this season by present and former Ohio State players,” Colts vice chairman Bill Polian said in a statement released by the team.

“Over the weekend Coach Tressel, Mr. Irsay, Coach Caldwell and I had a discussion of the issue,” Polian added. “In addition, we had a conversation with league officials to apprise them of the details of Coach Tressel’s employment and the issues we were reviewing.”

In other words, Polian has conceded that the Colts hired Tressel without letting the league office know in advance.

“At Coach Tressel’s suggestion, and with Mr. Irsay’s concurrence and support, we have decided to begin Coach Tressel’s employment effective with our seventh regular season game,” Polian said. “We have informed the league office of our decision and expect that they will be supportive of it.”

It’s technically not a “suspension,” but in reality it is. And the fact that Tressel got one more game than Pryor seems to suggest that the league and/or its teams view coaches who violate NCAA rules as being more culpable than players.

The Colts’ decision to impose the suspension on Tressel helps the league office avoid creating a crystal-clear impression that the NFL has now become an active participant in the enforcement of NCAA rules. Still, the somewhat-less-than-crystal-clear impression remains — the NFL and its teams, in deference to the curators of the league’s free farm system, will erect barriers to the commencement of employment in order to encourage compliance with NCAA rules.

With that line now crossed, the question becomes when, and if, the NFL will take action against folks whose NFL employment already has begun.

We think it’s more a question of when than if.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-from-colts/
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

So...are we okay then? Anybody going to gripe about it? Say Tressel ought never get a job in the first place?

I'm happy with six games. TBH, I would have been happy with 5 games.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    So...are we okay then? Anybody going to gripe about it? Say Tressel ought never get a job in the first place?
    I don't have a problem with him working, I just don't care for it being with the Colts.

Over the years, the Colts have built a reputation. The vest doesn't go along with that reputation. And the 6 games just re-inforces that.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I don't have a problem with him working, I just don't care for it being with the Colts.

Over the years, the Colts have built a reputation. The vest doesn't go along with that reputation. And the 6 games just re-inforces that.

The reputation is just that especially when we've brought back players or at least kept players with less than stellar images on the roster.

Tressel himself is no big deal to me as far as what he did. However I don't care for him personally and that's more because of being from Ohio State than anything else.

And I don't see how well he'd work out here college is different from NFL