Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 106

Thread: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who Cares. Several more players will be cut as well this season. Lets look forward to game 1. Run D was garbage last season do we see a repeat ? Foster Hammy does a back up make a big name against the Colts (AGAIN)

    Peyton will he be sharp?


    There are a lot more important things to worry about then a dude who was going to play 160 @ most this season!!!
    Follow me here people:
    I view the colts defense alot like a 3-4 but they are missing a key component, a guy to eat up blocks and keep those linebackers shirts clean, which would allow for freeney and Mathis to Rush the qb one on one regularly. They require a defensive tackle who can hold a double team. Tommie Harris isn't that guy.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just playing devil's advocate (in general, I agree with you), but any team could make 9 straight playoffs with Peyton at the helm. He's that good.

    I'm not thrilled with our front office recently. We have made terrible draft picks for the last 4 or 5 years, and that's catching up with us. Hughes, Brown, Ugoh, Gonzalez, Jackson...misses. Outside of receivers (and one could argue they are only hits because of Peyton), when is the last time our front office killed it with a draft pick?
    Well, sanders was a hell of a pick too. He was All Pro for a two year period. Freeney, obviously.

    But I agree. Jerry Hughes was a stupid pick when they should of gone O-line.

  4. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    489

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, sanders was a hell of a pick too. He was All Pro for a two year period. Freeney, obviously.

    But I agree. Jerry Hughes was a stupid pick when they should of gone O-line.
    hughes was not a joke in college

    he was a great player

    he has yet to pan out I hope he does but if not I am pissed

  5. #29

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still can't believe that people ***** about winning "only one championship" on a freakin' Pacers board.
    You think the Bull fans would whine about winning one championship with Jordan because thats basically the type of talent Manning has IMO.

    Manning is the best in his generation and yes he has won one and he could go on to win more but to say we have surrounded him core players that win football games in the playoffs is just wrong. Run the ball and stop the run is the most basic of all football principles and we haven't been able to surround him with core players that do just that.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 09-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think the Bull fans would whine about winning one championship with Jordan because thats basically the type of talent Manning has IMO.

    Manning is the best in his generation and yes he has won one and he could go on to win more but to say we have surrounded him core players that win football games in the playoffs is just wrong. Run the ball and stop the run is the most basic of all football principles and we haven't been able to surround him with core players that do just that.
    Peyton Manning doesn't play defense, thank God.

    Football you're one of 22 starters, and there's special teams as well. In basketball you're one of 5 starters, and you play both sides of the ball. Any NBA player has 10 times the impact on a game than any player possibly could in football, even the QB.

    That's an asinine comparison. Completely unrelated.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton Manning doesn't play defense, thank God.

    Football you're one of 22 starters, and there's special teams as well. In basketball you're one of 5 starters, and you play both sides of the ball. Any NBA player has 10 times the impact on a game than any player possibly could in football, even the QB.

    That's an asinine comparison. Completely unrelated.
    ya Jordan was the best offensive player and one of the best defensive players in the NBA. It is much easier to compete with a star in the NBA than the NFL. Much easier to build a team in the NBA than the NFL.

  10. #32
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The counter argument would be that Peyton's dad was supposedly pretty damn good, and how many playoffs did he make?
    He wasn't anywhere near Peyton's level.

  11. #33
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Powers in the 3rd, Bethea in the 6th, trading a 6th (I think) for Tryon, Kavell Conner in the 6th will be at least as good as Cato June, Collie in the 4th, until he gets another concussion and retires and we apply the Gonzo logic, Garcon, frustrating as he is, in the 6th. These aren't picks in the mid-late rounds that ''incompetent" front offices make. We aren't the Pats and don't have a single player from a draft class on the roster 3 years later. Hughes is still far too early to tell, Brown seems to be a legitimate bust and I didn't like the pick on draft night, Ugoh's clearly a bust, Gonzalez is a very good WR just gets hurt. He never got hurt in school, no chronic injury history. Them's the breaks, football's a somewhat physical game. Marlin Jackson was about the furthest thing from a bust.

    In no way at all am I saying Polian & Co have been infallible in the last 3 or so years, far from it. Just that this seeming black/white two camp argument of either the Colts front office is run by kindergarteners and if you disagree you're a Polian apologist is beyond ridiculous. Calling the Colts front office anything close to incompetent is, forgive the harshness, but frankly downright stupid. Fire Bill Polian tomorrow, watch how quick about 24 or so teams fire their personnel and hire him.

    Also, that "just one" championship, we won that almost in spite of Peyton. He did not have a good playoff run.
    I said I agreed with you in general. I don't think our front office is incompetent, or even close to it. I do think they have made some mistakes in recent years with high draft picks that is catching up with us now though.

  12. #34

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton Manning doesn't play defense, thank God.

    Football you're one of 22 starters, and there's special teams as well. In basketball you're one of 5 starters, and you play both sides of the ball. Any NBA player has 10 times the impact on a game than any player possibly could in football, even the QB.

    That's an asinine comparison. Completely unrelated.
    You must have been swimming in alcohol in utero. Read the post of Kegboy and get those narrow eyes checked.

    Everyone knows basketball fans complaints with not building a more solid team around Manning and how this has lead to fewer championships and I personally don't see a problem with pointing out the obvious. One championship with the best quarterback in the league is weak especially considering the GM the Colts have.

    JOrdan still needed players around him and thats the point your ignoring.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 09-05-2011 at 09:04 PM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You must have been swimming in alcohol in utero
    Really? Really?

    Internet tough guys got to love'em. I guarantee you wouldn't say it to my face, so don't pretend you would online. What a jackass. I'm not even going to bother reading past that point.

  15. #36
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,533

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton Manning doesn't play defense, thank God.

    Football you're one of 22 starters, and there's special teams as well. In basketball you're one of 5 starters, and you play both sides of the ball. Any NBA player has 10 times the impact on a game than any player possibly could in football, even the QB.

    That's an asinine comparison. Completely unrelated.
    It isn't asinine at all, but okay, would Cowboys fans complain if they only won one Super Bowl with Aikman/Smith/Irving? Hell, the Colts didn't win any with Manning/Edge/Harrison, which was arguably just as good. The difference, of course, is that the Cowboys had an excellent defense.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  17. #37

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still can't believe that people ***** about winning "only one championship" on a freakin' Pacers board.


    I never expected nearly as much from the Pacers as I did with the Colts (except maybe in 1998 and 2004 and even then I still figured it wasn't going to happen)

    Because as great as the Pacers were I never saw them as a potential dynasty and the best player of that particular generation unfortunately played for the Bulls.

    Jordan winning 1 ring would've been disappointing and I guarantee he wouldn't nearly be as celebrated as he is now even though he hasn't played in nearly a decade.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Really?

    Internet tough guys got to love'em. I guarantee you wouldn't say it to my face, so don't pretend you would online. What a jackass. I'm not even going to bother reading past that point.
    You can meet me at any of the forum parties. I have no problem telling you that you like to ignore the context of previous post and I can do it in a snarky way if it helps.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 09-06-2011 at 09:15 AM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We aren't the Pats and don't have a single player from a draft class on the roster 3 years later.
    The Patriots have made 40 draft picks in the last 4 years, and in that time they have replaced 46 of 53 players from a roster that went 18-1 (retained: Brady, Light, Mankins, Koppen, Gostkowski, Welker, Wilfork).

    They have at least 2 players remaining from each of the last 4 draft classes.

    I am assuming you are referring to the 2007 draft, rated by some as the weakest draft of the decade, a draft in which the Pats essentially traded out of, trading 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks for Welker and Moss, traded other picks for future picks, and used the #1 pick for Meriweather. Granted, they didn't get a lot directly out of that draft, but they used those assets to get multi-year pro bowl production from Moss, Welker, and Meriweather as well as some trading chips that let them replace 10 of 11 starters on defense and 6 of 11 starters on offense.

    Belichick also makes roster decisions without regard to pedigree. If an undrafted rookie free agent (say, Jeff Tarpinian) is more productive in camp than a 5 year vet and former 1st round draft pick coming off two straight pro bowl appearances (Meriweather), then the rookie free agent is kept. I don't think you would say the same thing for most team architects, who let sunken costs, their own rampant egos, and a desire to avoid criticism with respect to their draft selections cloud the cut-down decision process.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 09-06-2011 at 08:41 AM.

  20. #40
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can meet me at any of the forum parties. I have no problem telling you that you like to ignore the context of previous post and I can do it in a snarky way if it helps.
    Snarky is one thing. Blatantly insulting someone is quite another.

  21. #41

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Snarky is one thing. Blatantly insulting someone is quite another.
    Calling my post asinine is an insult no? Don't be surprise if someone fires back at your insults especially when you instigate it.

    The fact that the colts have won one championship in Indy and the Pacers haven't shouldn't lower my expectations for the Colts. If the roles were reversed and the Pacers had the best player in the NBA for 13 years on the team I wouldn't be happy with just one championship. This is especially true when certain fundamental aspects of the game are being overlooked for long periods of time which is the case for the Colts.

    If you or Kegboy are fine with one championship from the best QB in this generation then fine i'll respect that but don't fire back on me for having a different opinion and expect me to OK with it.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 09-06-2011 at 01:26 PM.

  22. #42
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Saying someone made one asinine comparison is the same as claiming someone was retarded at birth? Yep, got me there.

    Again, like I said the Pacers having the best player in the NBA is entirely different than having the best player in the NFL. Just as being the best in Tennis is different than having the best player in the NBA. The less players involved the more influence that single player can have. Especially when Peyton is only on the field for 40% of the plays.

    If that's your stance, then apparently I didn't miss the point of your post at all to begin with.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  24. #43

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saying someone made one asinine comparison is the same as claiming someone was retarded at birth? Yep, got me there.

    Again, like I said the Pacers having the best player in the NBA is entirely different than having the best player in the NFL. Just as being the best in Tennis is different than having the best player in the NBA. The less players involved the more influence that single player can have. Especially when Peyton is only on the field for 40% of the plays.

    If that's your stance, then apparently I didn't miss the point of your post at all to begin with.
    OF course there are differences between the NBA and the NFL. Stating the obvious doesn't resolve that some on here think Manning with one ring is somehow reaching his potential as the best player in his generation. The reason why Basketball fan complained is because Manning should have more rings if it wasn't for an incomplete team/philosophy surrounding him.

    According to Kegboy no one should complain since the Pacers have had limited success compared to the Colts. I disagree plain and simple.

    Do I think the Colts should have 6 rings as in the case of the Bulls? Of course not but they should have more than one IMO and a lot of people outside of Indy will tell you the same.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  26. #44
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,083

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    I guess I didn't realize that Polian should have looked harder into his crystal ball and drafted someone other than Bob Sanders.

    Bob Sanders doesn't go down every game, that he manages to get healthy for, and it's a completely different team.



    The argument that the team didn't win as much as they should, because of Polian is pretty funny.

    They're the winningest team in the decade. They simply couldn't stay healthy. Do we really need to create the extremely long laundry list of injuries they've had to overcome year in and year out?


    Since it's Bill's fault Bob couldn't play, I'm now placing Dwight's injury riddled past in his lap as well.



    I don't think it was mere coincidence that the playoff year Bob was healthy was the year they happened to win.


    The real moral of the story? There will always be complainers.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  28. #45

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I didn't realize that Polian should have looked harder into his crystal ball and drafted someone other than Bob Sanders.

    Bob Sanders doesn't go down every game, that he manages to get healthy for, and it's a completely different team.



    The argument that the team didn't win as much as they should, because of Polian is pretty funny.

    They're the winningest team in the decade. They simply couldn't stay healthy. Do we really need to create the extremely long laundry list of injuries they've had to overcome year in and year out?


    Since it's Bill's fault Bob couldn't play, I'm now placing Dwight's injury riddled past in his lap as well.



    I don't think it was mere coincidence that the playoff year Bob was healthy was the year they happened to win.


    The real moral of the story? There will always be complainers.
    The argument that injuries are the reason why the Colts have only one superbowl is just too simple. Thats like saying other superbowl contenders don't have to deal with injuries year in and year out.

    Injuries are apart of the game that everyone has to deal with and the reason why certain teams deal with them better than others is because there offensive/defensive schemes don't rely on one or two great players to stay healthy. The only exception would be the QB IMO.

  29. #46
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,083

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Just because it's simple, doesn't mean it's wrong.

    And I'm not saying it's the only explanation either. It's a number of things. Polian's misses are pretty far down on the list, IMHO though.

    For every early draft bust, you also have a late draft steal like Bethea.


    The fact of the matter is that the Colts have put together a historical team. From holding a record for the most consecutive 12 win seasons, to the most consecutive playoff appearances.

    You don't reach the heights the Colts have reached with a dumbass sitting in the drivers seat.


    It's perfectly logical to say that the Colts would have won more than one SB if Sanders had the ability to stay healthy. We would probably never have these conversations if that was the case, and you can't blame Polian for injuries.

  30. #47

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Green Bay was as injured last year as any Colts team has ever been, including the Colts last year.

    NFL football players get injured a lot. It's why you build the best 53-man roster you can, have the best practive squad you can, and have about a dozen other guys on speed dial for when you need them. Sometimes that list even runs dry and you find Troy Brown playing cornerback in the Super Bowl.

    The Colts don't have more injuries than other teams, on average. They just talk about them a whole lot more.

  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  32. #48
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,083

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    And that refutes the argument how exactly?

    I never said the Colts were the only team in the league that dealt with injuries. But Green Bay having one year with injuries is a little different than having mutliple years with injuries.

    EDIT: Do we talk about it more, or is this just a Colts forum so you read about it more?

    Start a thread talking about GB's issues then, if you think they're worthy enough for discussion.

    True or false, the Colts have had season after season with injuries to major players? True.

    That's all I care about.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-06-2011 at 04:54 PM.

  33. #49

    Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because it's simple, doesn't mean it's wrong.

    And I'm not saying it's the only explanation either. It's a number of things. Polian's misses are pretty far down on the list, IMHO though.

    For every early draft bust, you also have a late draft steal like Bethea.


    The fact of the matter is that the Colts have put together a historical team. From holding a record for the most consecutive 12 win seasons, to the most consecutive playoff appearances.

    You don't reach the heights the Colts have reached with a dumbass sitting in the drivers seat.


    It's perfectly logical to say that the Colts would have won more than one SB if Sanders had the ability to stay healthy. We would probably never have these conversations if that was the case, and you can't blame Polian for injuries.
    No one thinks that of Polain. Now arrogant and headstrong to a fault thats another story.

    IMo high draft round bust hurt a lot more than missing in the later rounds and the later round steals can't compensate for such bust.

    Injuries are apart of the game and thats why no one uses them as excuses why they didn't win the superbowl. Great teams can overcome injuries like the Pats and the Steelers or Greenbay for that matter.

  34. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one thinks that of Polain. Now arrogant and headstrong to a fault thats another story.

    IMo high draft round bust hurt a lot more than missing in the later rounds and the later round steals can't compensate for such bust.

    Injuries are apart of the game and thats why no one uses them as excuses why they didn't win the superbowl. Great teams can overcome injuries like the Pats and the Steelers or Greenbay for that matter.
    Big difference between an excuse and a reason...injuries are a REASON the colts have only won one super bowl

Similar Threads

  1. Colts sign Tommie Harris
    By Sandman21 in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
  2. Tbird 2011 NBA draft analysis #9: Tobias Harris
    By RoboHicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 08:19 PM
  3. Tommie Harris likely to Colts after lockout ends
    By Psyren in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 12:18 PM
  4. Why the Colts can reach the Super Bowl
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:22 PM
  5. Could someone with an Insider subscription get.....
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •