Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tommie Harris cut by Colts

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone gets that the Colts were better with Sanders.

Everyone but Gamble....

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    But Sanders was never going to be healthy for the long term. There is no sense on dwelling on something that was going to happen. We're in our 4th year since Sanders was last healthy. We got to a Super Bowl without him. He was important, but he wasn't make or break. Like I said, we went one and done in 2 out of the 3 playoff years Sanders was healthy. I'm not saying that as an indictment against Sanders or anything. I'm just stating a fact. Sanders helped, but let's not like we were unbeatable when he played. The Steelers and Chargers debacles at home took place with a healthy Sanders out there.
    I don't dispute any of that. I never will.

But like I've said. If the Colts can manage to get to a SB without their best defensive player (arguably) then wouldn't common sense tell us that they would have faired better with him, rather than without him?

That's my ENTIRE point during this whole argument.

You can't place the blame on Bill Polian for drafting a guy who fought injuries his entire career. It's one of those things you simply can't control.

It's not Bill's fault. It's not Bob's fault. It's no one's fault.

My problem with it, is trying to place blame on someone who was doing their job, when they have absolutely zero control over the situation.

And that's exactly what was going on here. It's Bill's fault Bob was injured.

What a crazy position to have. It's nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Caught me in a lie?
    You've also tried claiming that Bob was hurt multiple times throughout his career at Iowa. He missed the end of one game his soph. season from a concussion, and he missed 3 games his jr. year due to injury. That's it..
    LINK..... Come on now. I'll retract it.if you post a link.

I consider a major injury is one that you have to stop playing and have surgery done on. No thats not a catch all but thats how I view it. Having a quad or shoulder injury and playing through it doesn't make the list to me and doesn't mean that a guy is injury prone. You really want to know how many D-linemen have shoulder problems/surgeries in the NFL. Does that make them injury prone?

You can't place the blame on Bill Polian for drafting a guy who fought injuries his entire career. It's one of those things you simply can't control.
    How about giving him a contract extension?
    Last edited by Gamble1; 09-08-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Unless you can magically come up with a EDU site showing that he missed 3 games his junior year then I'll retract my statement.

Sorry, I didn't have all the details and missed a whole season. (I did the formatting for this look. It's all together as one big paragraph on the hawkeye website)

So he missed 3 games in 2003. Missed one game in 2002. Missed one game in 2001. Missed the fourth quarter of a game in 2000.

2003 Honors - - First team pre-season all-America by The Sporting News . . . named to pre-season watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, given annually to the nation’s top defensive player . . . named to pre-season watch lists for Jim Thorpe Defensive Back of the Year . . . pre-season third team all-American by Athlon Sports . . . Second team all-America by the Associated Press . . . first team all-Big Ten . . . Permanent Team Captain, defense . . . Most Valuable Player, defense . . . Hayden Fry “Extra Heartbeat” Award, defense . . . Coaches Appreciation Award, special teams . . . co-Big Ten Conference Defensive Player of the Week for his play in 40-22 win over Minnesota . . . selected to participate in Senior Bowl, but did not play in game after suffering foot injury in practice for the contest . . .

2003 - - listed as first team strong safety following spring practice . . . saw action in opening win over Miami, but was not in starting line-up due to missed practice time during pre-season . . . recorded five solo tackles and two assists . . . missed three games due to foot surgery . . . returned to action at Michigan State, recording five sol tackles, two assists and one pass break-up . . . started for the first time this season in win over Michigan, recording six solo tackles, one assist and a pass break-up . . . recorded five solo tackles and five assists at Ohio State, including two tackles for loss and one pass break-up . . . recorded four solo tackles and two assists in win over Penn State . . . also had a tackle for loss and a pass break-up . . .caused two fumbles vs. PSU, with the first being returned 47 yards to set up Iowa’s first touchdown of the game . . . recorded first career touchdown in win over Illinois, returning fumble recovery three yards for a score . . . also had two solo tackles, one assist, a forced fumble and a pass break-up in win over the Illini . . . recorded six solo tackles and one assist at Purdue . . . collected a season-high 16 tackles (10 solo, six assists) in win over Minnesota, earning Big Ten Conference defensive Player of the Week honors . . . had three forced fumbles (one on special teams) to take over the Big Ten lead in that category . . . recorded two tackles for loss, one QB sack, one QB pressure and one fumble recovery, with that recovery and forced fumble coming at the Iowa one-yardline to stop a Minnesota scoring threat . . . recorded two solo tackles and five assists in win over Minnesota, along with one tackle for loss, one pass break-up, one fumble recovery and a pass interception . . . two turnovers in the second half both came near midfield to assist Iowa’s field position and fumble recovery came on punt coverage . . . recorded three solo tackles in 37-17 Outback Bowl win over Florida . . .

2002 Honors - - fourth team all-America by The Sporting News . . . first team all-Big Ten . . . Hustle Team Award, defense . . .

2002 - - key member of Iowa defense that ranked fifth in the nation in rushing defense (81.9) . . . started 12 of 13 games at strong safety, missing Utah State due to injury . . . six solo tackles and one assist in win over Akron, plus two forced fumbles, one QB sack, one QB pressure and one pass break-up . . . seven solo tackles, two assists and one pass break-up in win at Miami . . . six solo tackles, two assists and one pass break-up vs. Iowa State . . . also recovered an Iowa fumble after an interception and had a 32-yard fumble return that helped end an ISU scoring threat . . . did not play in win over Utah State due to injury . . . four solo tackles and five assists in win at Penn State . . . one solo tackle and two assists in win over Purdue . . . blocked field goal attempt in win over Purdue was returned 85 yards for an Iowa touchdown . . . also had a 15-yard interception return before leaving the game in the second quarter with an injury . . . eight solo tackles and two assists in win over Michigan State, with a pass interception and two pass break-ups . . . 12 solo tackles and four assists in win at Indiana . . . five solo tackles, one pass break-up and one forced fumble in win at Michigan . . . forced fumble came on punt coverage and led to touchdown that gave Iowa a 17-9 advantage in the third quarter . . . recorded four solo tackles, two assists and one pass break-up in win over Wisconsin as Iowa held Badgers to 78 rushing yards and 215 yards total offense . . . four solo tackles, three assists and two pass break-ups in win over Northwestern . . . two solo tackles and seven assists in win at Minnesota as defense held top rushing team in Big Ten Conference to 80 net rushing yards . . . also recorded one forced fumble and had two pass break-ups . . . led team with 13 tackles vs. Southern Cal in Orange Bowl, including nine solo tackles and four assists . . . also recorded two pass break-ups . . .

2001 Honors - - co-Most Valuable Player . . .first team all-Big Ten by league coaches . . . earned team Hustle Award for defense . . . Bronko Nagurski national and Big Ten Conference Defensive Player of the Week for his play in Iowa’s 42-28 win over Indiana . . .

2001 - - started all 11 games he played at strong safety . . . missed Miami, OH game due to injury . . . led team in total tackles with 122, including 78 solo stops and 44 assists . . . recorded six tackles for loss and one QB sack . . . led team with four interceptions for 24 yards, collected 12 pass break-ups, three QB pressures and one forced fumble . . . ranked fifth in the Big Ten in interceptions (four) and sixth in the Big Ten in tackles per game (11.1) . . . ranked 27th in the nation in solo tackles per game (6.9) and 30th nationally in total tackles per game, for the regular season . . .one solo tackle and two assists vs. Kent State in limited action, and he did not play the following week due to an ankle injury. . . seven solo tackles and four assists in win over Penn State, including two tackles for loss, one QB sack and one QB pressure . . . 10 solo tackles and five assists at Purdue, including three tackles for loss and three pass break-ups . . . first career interception came at Purdue and his 19-yard return set up Iowa touchdown in the second half . . . six solo tackles, four assists and a pass break-up at Michigan State . . . record-setting game in win over Indiana with 14 solo tackles and 11 assists . . . four solo tackles and two assists vs. Michigan, along with two pass break-ups and second interception of the season . . . six solo tackles and three assists at Wisconsin, including one tackle for loss and a QB pressure . . . four solo tackles and three assists at Northwestern, along with third interception, a QB pressure and one pass break-up . . . nine solo tackles and two assists in win over Minnesota, plus one pass break-up . . . eight solo tackles and six assists at Iowa State, with one pass break-up . . . nine solo tackles and two assists in Alamo Bowl win over Texas Tech . . . had two pass break-ups and had an interception in the Iowa endzone on the final play of the game to secure the victory . . .

2000 Honors - - honorable mention all-Big Ten . . .

2000 - - saw extensive action on special teams throughout the season . . . earned first career start in the secondary vs. Wisconsin and started remaining three games . . . 42 solo tackles and 10 assists, with two forced fumbles, three tackles for loss and a pass break-up . . . three tackles vs. Kansas State . . . two tackles vs. Western Michigan and Iowa State . . . one tackle at Nebraska and Indiana . . . four tackles and a forced fumble in win over Michigan State . . . three solo tackles and one assist vs. Ohio State . . . started for the first time vs. Wisconsin and recorded 11 solo tackles and one assist, including one tackle for loss . . . forced Wisconsin fumble on first punt return of the game, which was recovered by Iowa . . . five solo tackles and three assists vs. Penn State, including one tackle for loss . . . 11 solo tackles and one assists in win over Northwestern, including one tackle for loss and a QB sack . . . three solo tackles and one pass break-up at Minnesota before leaving the game in the third quarter with a concussion.
    http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/...ers_bob00.html
    Last edited by Since86; 09-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.

LINK..... Come on now. I'll retract it.if you post a link.

I consider a major injury is one that you have to stop playing and have surgery done on. No thats not a catch all but thats how I view it. Having a quad or shoulder injury and playing through it doesn't make the list to me and doesn't mean that a guy is injury prone. You really want to know how many D-linemen have shoulder problems/surgeries in the NFL. Does that make them injury prone?
    You're only seriously injured if you have to have surgery? Oh goodness.

How about giving him a contract extension?
    Now that we can agree on.

Now that we can agree on.
    About time...

Everyone but Gamble....

I don't dispute any of that. I never will.

But like I've said. If the Colts can manage to get to a SB without their best defensive player (arguably) then wouldn't common sense tell us that they would have faired better with him, rather than without him?

That's my ENTIRE point during this whole argument.

It's not Bill's fault. It's not Bob's fault. It's no one's fault.

My problem with it, is trying to place blame on someone who was doing their job, when they have absolutely zero control over the situation.

And that's exactly what was going on here. It's Bill's fault Bob was injured.

What a crazy position to have. It's nonsense.

And I wouldn't dispute what you said. I would never fault Polian for what happened to Sanders. In fact, even while knowing how hurt he was over his career, I would STILL draft Sanders. He gave us more in just a few years than most guys ever will. Sanders was a great pick by Polian. Helped us win a SB and was a DPOY. I have no regrets about that one.

In hindsight, I'm very content with Sanders. We're lucky that he was able to give us what he did. Giving him that contract sucked, but what can you? They had no choice at the time but to do it.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-08-2011 at 07:25 PM.