Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New additions to NBA 2k12

Default New additions to NBA 2k12

I thought it might be nice to have a thread that focuses specifically on what's new and/or improved in NBA 2k12, and what prompted this was the following article:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k...50278579327267

I'm happy that they've add the ability to quickly adjust your strategy on offense and on defense. I would much rather establish and adjust my strategies while otherwise reading and reacting rather than having to call set plays.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New additions to NBA 2k12

I have 2k10 but didn't even buy 2k11. I think i'm gonna have to buy 2k12 though!

You missed out. 2k11 was much better than 2k10.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

that is insne cant wait to use the new play calling system I liked last years so improving upon that and making it even more advanced is awesome. I cant wait for the next insight "training camp" I've wanted them to add a training camp for awhile now. I also really want summer league for franchise mode.

and ya 2k10 and 2k11 are not even comparable 2k11 was so much improved game play wise. I cant go back and play 10 after playing 11 11 is that good and better. I think you will be shocked when you play 2k12 on how good it is if you passed on 11.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-03-2011 at 05:50 AM.

I wonder what EA is doing with their game. Haven't heard anything since they pulled their game last year.

Just wish Madden had some competition. Madden is such a huge letdown.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what EA is doing with their game. Haven't heard anything since they pulled their game last year.

EA is probably adding some feature about something so stupid that no one really cares lol...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

It isnt coming out until 2012 the rebulit it from the ground up with a new studio. It will be terrible IMO peter moore says he hopes to compete with 2k by 2015 lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://www.operationsports.com/news/...-legend-dtoid/

use any NBA player in create a legend mode! I was waiting for them to add this Paul George here I come!

also this is my player week here is a preview the insight is tomorrow http://dimemag.com/2011/09/dimes-def...player-mode/2/

As I mentioned earlier, you go through a funny little pre-draft interview process with three different GMs to gauge whether or not you actually fit into that system. “Do you mind living in a less glamorous city like Indianapolis?” or “What will you do with your first paycheck?” are just some of the questions you’ll be asked. Your answer choices might just determine what team ends up taking you.
    LOL

As the season starts, you start to build up your “Buzz.” This is a meter of how much your team and city appreciate what you’re doing. With enough buzz points and career reward points, you begin to become legendary. Take your team out to party or host charity events that help your league-wide popularity, it’s your call. It’s almost like the NBA meets The Sims. If only you could tweet!

While the gameplay and player features on NBA 2K12 are off the charts, the “My Player” mode allows to build yourself from the ground up in more ways than ever before. You can have a blast playing this game without actually playing a game, and that’s just one of the reasons you need to cop NBA 2K12 on October 4th.
    That has me super pumped I have always wanted to design a game like Grand theft auto and the sims / nba my player. Where you buy cars and houses and you have an open world. I think a game like that would sell really well but the depths I want will never be done. It would take too much time to design and get approval from the NBA. But if I ever become rich and get enough money to design a game I would want to design my player / sims.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Mood

http://www.operationsports.com/featu...t-5-my-player/

the sub rating sound insane I like that they made it harder this year and you actually spend your money from the contract.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sounds like a lot of positive changes.

I'm hoping that since your my player has to get good at specific dribbles moves that it has also been applied to the real NBA players. Fun as it may be, I shouldn't be allowed to keep dribbling the ball around my own back as I work my way up the floor with Tyler Hansbrough or Troy Murphy.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Sounds like a lot of positive changes.

I'm hoping that since your my player has to get good at specific dribbles moves that it has also been applied to the real NBA players. Fun as it may be, I shouldn't be allowed to keep dribbling the ball around my own back as I work my way up the floor with Tyler Hansbrough or Troy Murphy.
    Ya it seems like they will have more ratings all the way around that make each player play like there real life self. Like Melo should have a really good hesitation but just an average crossover. He should also have a killer pull up J where Lebrons wont be great.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

preordered, i can't wait for it to arrive (still a month away).

looks like my player is still going to be the main mode for me, the amoutn of improvements

i love how they've added the option to play only certain games, though i don't like how you can't choose which ones to sim and which ones you play... right now what i'm understanding is that you can only play the key games (the ones that give you double skill points)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yeah i just saw that, it's going to be pretty damn useful. i still haven't mastered the more complicated iso moves in 11. or any other post move other than the up and under.

Mood

SteveOS - While we didn't get as much hands-on time as we wanted with #NBA2K12 the changes in gameplay are easily noticed. Help defense is HUGE!

DustinToms_OS - Crowd reaction in #NBA2K12 is improved. Fans in front row react to loose balls, corner treys, etc.

SteveOS - The #NBA2K12 intros are simply put, amazing work. EVERY one of them I saw was different. Not the same thing, didn't wanna skip any of em.

DustinToms_OS - #NBA2K12 Graphical overlays in Greatest mode keep true to the different eras. Had an old school NBA on NBC feeling.

DustinToms_OS - #NBA2K12 Legends use rules from the different eras. e.g. Lakers/Celts has no 3-point line.

SteveOS - #NBA2K12 player faces are much improved. They touched up some of them that were already good, as well. Good to see Granger got a facelift.

SteveOS - #NBA2K12 continued... Depending on player, there are different crossovers. Quicker guys have better handles, while the bigger guys are slow.

DustinToms_OS - @Bluengold34 Easily. I couldn't really believe how much it has improved over 2K11.

SteveOS - #NBA2K12 crossovers are more compact this year, just moves more cleaner. In fact, all animations are more crisp. Looks more realistic.

SteveOS - In limited time today with #NBA2K12 I don't want to play 2k11 anymore. Post game, help defense and no forced anims Q&A tomorrow, send Q's
    Im loving what I am hearing. They said this about 2k10 to 2k11 and they were absolutely correct. After getting 11 I couldnt go back and play 10 the game was that much better. if 12 makes a huge jump from 11 we are looking at a near perfect game IMO. The help defense and post game are two things I cant wait for in 2k12. Also the different crossovers sounds great as well.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

The only thing I've heard about 2k12 that I'm not looking forward to is having to play the Bill Russell games in black and white and all of that stuff. A neat feature if I can turn it on and off when I want, but if I'm forced into it, I won't like it. I'd rather it look like they went through a time portal and walked out into 2011 with the usual colors/picture/broadcast.

But that nitpick aside, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The only thing I've heard about 2k12 that I'm not looking forward to is having to play the Bill Russell games in black and white and all of that stuff. A neat feature if I can turn it on and off when I want, but if I'm forced into it, I won't like it. I'd rather it look like they went through a time portal and walked out into 2011 with the usual colors/picture/broadcast.

But that nitpick aside, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this game.
    Agreed - the point is that you're replaying the games, not re-watching them.

Mood

http://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k...50291052397267

PG24 here I come! I will also do an Eric Gordon one and bring him to Indy via free agency.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sweet. This game should be so good.

Mood

http://www.operationsports.com/news/...y-player-mode/

Create a jump shot is a nice touch for my player. Also will be a great touch for creating legends like Reggie Miller hopefully you can create and share them online. Im sure lots of people will work and get Reggie's right.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://www.operationsports.com/news/...y-player-mode/

Create a jump shot is a nice touch for my player. Also will be a great touch for creating legends like Reggie Miller hopefully you can create and share them online. Im sure lots of people will work and get Reggie's right.
    I'd create something ugly like David Robinson's shot.

Now really free Lance!

Mood

http://www.operationsports.com/news/...-os-exclusive/

first game play ive seen with the new commentary and the new entrances which are dynamic and change every time they look great. Kerr sounds great it is a good balance IMO. They changed EJ's jumpshot looks like it will get blocked less is quicker.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-15-2011 at 08:50 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I want this game, but I'll wait for a price drop. Between Gears 3 and Skyrim, I won't be playing anything else for the remainder of this year.

Now really free Lance!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is it lockout friendly?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Mood

http://www.operationsports.com/previ...2k12-hands-on/

NBA 2K11 was a fantastic game. The classic teams (mainly the Sonics), the graphics, the gameplay; the game had it all. No chance 2K was going to be able to even match what 2K11 accomplished.

We were wrong.

After getting some quality time playing NBA 2K12 I can safely say that the crew has done it again. For the umpteenth time, NBA2K will almost certainly be better than its predecessor.

Gameplay

The gameplay has taken it to another level. Every year you hear us at OS talk about how the game feels better or the game is more fluid. After playing 2K12 I take that comment with a grain of salt. 2K12 has shown how much more fluid a game can be. Player movements are seamless while running across the court interacting with the other nine players. All animations run smoother. Jump shots, alley oops, lay ups, and dunks all look like the way they should. I saw a loose ball roll across the court and it made my jaw drop.

I had about six total hours of game time and I didnít see one clunky animation. I was never stuck in an animation that caused me to lose possession. Instead, with the player falling out of bounds, passing is still an option. Total control has finally found its way into sports gaming.

One of the bigger improvements this year was all in the post game. The ĎYí button is now the button to post up (hop step is part of the shot stick now). I was able to figure out a couple post moves, and enjoyed it thoroughly. But Rob Jones recreated Hakeemís shake Ė it was beautiful. One of my more proud moments was when using Ewing to spin around a young Shaq for a monster slam that caused the whole room to scream. And there is still a lot left to uncover.

Also, at long last, help defense actually does what it supposed to do -- help. This goes hand in hand with the improved AI. The CPU isnít stupid anymore Ė in fact you need to be smart in order to win. If you donít know the game of basketball, your frustration levels will cause your head to explode if you try to play the game on a higher difficulty setting.

A lot of the cheese moves have been addressed. Spin dunking is still in the game, but you can stop it easily with good defense. Defenses are more aware of lead passing, which will not allow users to abuse the new fast break (which is fabulous in its own right).

Signature style is better than ever. Durantís shot is a thing of beauty. When you play with Dirk, enjoy posting up your defender and sinking awkward looking fadeaways all day.

The Greatest

I know youíre sick of hearing about legends, but it really is as good as advertised. One big change with the classic games this year is the ability to change the difficulty and quarter lengths. Game developers felt the goals from the Jordan challenge were fun, but didnít allow the user to play the game. Too many people would just take every shot with Jordan rather than playing the game how itís meant to be played. So if you want a challenge, beef it up to All-Pro,; if you want to unlock the teams for quick play, rock Rookie until all 15 challenges are complete.

My favorite part from this mode was the presentation. The crew over at 2K did a great job capturing what it felt like to play in all decades. As you know, when playing in the Ď60s the presentation is grainy and black and white. Another nice touch to it is the dark, shaded out corners. Even the game clock in the corner looks like an old school digital clock.

As you advance to the newer era games youíll notice the changes. Youíll slowly move into the Technicolor era, but still have the grainy feel. Eventually youíll see a broadcast similar to the good old days of the NBA on NBC with the big fatty yellow text taking up the entire screen.

One final thing to be mentioned is the rules from each era. If there was no 3-point line when the game happened, there wonít be one when you play. Players will play the way they did in the Ď80s. When Pistol Pete is on the floor youíll be able to tell he is the best player by far. The defense wonít be too much different, so zone may pop up on the occasion. Also fouls will still be called as often as they do when you play with the current teams, so you wonít be able to rough the opponent too much.

My Player

My Player is this yearís bread and butter. The mode has been taken to a whole new level. Everything Ronnie has released the past week or so is not just a gimmick, itís flat out awesome. But what you all want to know about revolves around the gameplay.

The gameplay has vastly improved in My Player. It seems as though 2K has finally been able to translate the regular gameplay into the mode. It runs as smoothly what I mentioned earlier in this article.

CPU AI is greatly improved, both on your team and the opponent. Sometimes your teammates will get a little selfish in the Rookie Showcase, but thatís expected. After the showcase youíre thrown straight into interviews with three teams. I was a 3-point threat shooting guard and was interviewed by Charlotte, Sacramento and Utah. Each team asks questions based on your position, how much you can contribute, if youíre OK with riding the pine and questions revolving around their star player. The way you answer these questions can make you look like a nice guy or an arrogant bucket case, so be careful.

The next step is a mock draft, which will give a fairly detailed description on all prospects. I was slated to go No. 9 overall to the Bobcats, which was spot on. Steveís point guard was projected No. 18, but fell to No. 21 after being pretty arrogant in interviews. Contract negotiations are in the game, but you canít do anything about the rookie contract.

Now donít be discouraged by the Rookie Showcase gameplay from your teammates. Once you get into the NBA (no D-League in My Player this year), teams will play the way theyíre supposed to play. On Charlotte, Augustine took a lot of shots and Thomas did work in the post. I know Charlotte isnít the best team with the best options, but you wonít be the No. 1 option off the bat. I only had a couple of stints off the bench in my one game.

Your playerís grade is more accurate this year. You wonít be knocked points for taking a last-second half court shot anymore or for your teammate allowing your man to score. The only frustration I came across was on defense. Once in a while your teamís defense will get out of sync and ďyour manĒ will switch constantly eventually leading to him scoring taking away points. It isnít a game-killer since it doesnít happen often, and Iím sure a patch will easily fix it.

There is a lot more to My Player I can rant on and on about, but itís all in the Insight, which you should have already read.

Final Thoughts

To sum it all up, NBA 2K12 offers so much more this year that it will easily surpass the greatness we experienced in 2K11. From head to toe it has been improved. Honestly, I definitely missed some details in this article since it was a massive overload of 2K12 info for me, so hopefully when Steve posts his impressions article on Monday he fills you in on what I may have left out.

But for now, do your best lasting another three weeks with 2K11. After playing 2K12, I canít even enjoy that game after playing what potentially looks to be the greatest basketball game of all-time.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post: