Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Star Wars fans, guess what George Lucas did... AGAIN

Default Hey Star Wars fans, guess what George Lucas did... AGAIN

If you've been paying attention since 1997, you probably guessed it: More revisions to the original trilogy!!!................

Ugh. Just... Ugh.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51019

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hey Star Wars fans, guess what George Lucas did... AGAIN

I don't see how that is too much of a big deal. And I am a Star Wars fan.

I think we haven't all learned to expect these things from Lucas.

I'm confused. Why does this matter? Do all copies of the original and your memories of the original get wiped out somehow?

It's just ridiculous, and cements for me that I'm not buying these. If you want to watch in HD they're on Spike every 5 minutes anyway.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Mood

I just give thanks for Laserdiscs, else Lucas would have never made available the trilogy in its orginal form.

It is kinda sad, imho. Part of the charm comes from the original effects and knowing the time period from which it sprang. What bothers me about it is that over time, new generations may not be exposed to the original and start taking whatever latest revision as the true Star Wars.

For me, it'd be like colorizing Casablanca, then tinkering with little aspects, like maybe digitally altering the guns, changing clothing.....it just messes with the originally intergrity to me. Over time, in a way, makes a movie into something else.

I know this is kinda of a stretch analogy, but I'm gonna use a food comparision. I love orange juice. Fresh, pulpy, orange juice. My youngest brother is so used to Sunny D, that he refers to it as orange juice, even though it's not juice, mostly sugar with flavoring. His interpretation of orange juice has become skewed. He views the variation as the original now. Weird analogy, I know, but that's kinda how I see Star Wars becoming. Over time, it diminishes the power of the original.

Just kinda disappointing that Lucas won't leave it alone.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Forgetting the loss of originality for a second, let's just focus on how stupid the NOOOOO! sounds.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

As dumb as the changes are and as much as everybody hates them, they're the only reason Lucasfilm believes that you'll buy yet another home video release of the movies. Apparently they think that people won't buy them again just for the improvement in format.

Which is bullsh*t, because I would definitely buy a digitally remastered, anamorphic widescreen version of the un-altered, non-Special Edition-ized version of the original trilogy on DVD or BD. That non-anamorphic version of the unaltered original trilogy they released on DVD a few years ago was so poorly done, it seemed like it they did a poor job purposefully out of spite.

Looks like I'll be holding onto my VCR and showing the original trilogy to my future children on these:

Last edited by Aw Heck; 08-31-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

I loved that VHS set. My sister got that for me that Christmas and I watched those quite a bit. Still have them, actually, though I don't think I even have a VCR anymore.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

HAN SHOT FIRST!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

George Lucas is getting scarily close to the South Park version of himself...

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George Lucas is getting scarily close to the South Park version of himself...
    I think I read somewhere one of the new special features is footage of him raping a stormtrooper.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I think I read somewhere one of the new special features is footage of him raping a stormtrooper.

I really don't like the newer trilogy honestly, and so I really don't like seeing Hayden at the end of Return of the Jedi. Dammit Lucas. And I still can't get over the latest Indiana Jones disaster.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

In that same testimony he did defend the creator of the content being able to alter it. Not saying what he is doing/did to Star Wars is justifiable but technically in his own words in that entire speech he does 'justify' what he is doing. SlashFilm did a good write up on it.

Mood

Kevin Smith put it correctly.

(Quoted the best I can from a video I was watching)

As a guy who saw the original trilogy in theater. I can remember watching Return of the Jedi in the Middletown Multiplex theater... 3, 4, 500 seater whatever it was, totally, as a dude that was there, all I can say is this, "Who gives a @&$%?

Can you imagine somebody being mad at this? I am a geek at heart but I mean.

It's his movie to do whatever with, it'll never be perfect for him. That's the thing, he's the guy, that's the craftsman. He looks at it and says, "It's not finished, I can change it." And he changes it.

His thinking is unconventional, it irritates fanboys and stuff like that. There have been moments it's irriated me. But at the same time you've gotta appreciate like a visionary brought you those movies in the first place.

If the visionary is like, "Look I'm not done, like there's more, I can take it and change it every time the medium changes or every time technology changes."

You've kind of gotta respect that. You know, look there are changes he's made where like Greedo shooting first? Are you outta your mind?! They're his characters to do what he wants.

This one isn't even agreeance, it's just a soundbyte. You know he just threw a sound effect in. But you should see people online are just like, "HE'S DOING IT AGAIN! HE'S RAPING OUR CHILDHOOD, THIS LUCAS!"

It's crazy...

But think about this. It's not for you. He's making it for your kids, somebody's kids. Anybody who hasn't seen Return of the Jedi before isn't going to know that yell wasn't there the first time. And if nobody would've told me I doubt I'd ever would've known.

I remember seeing they cut to the scene and Vader is just staring and they cut to the Emperor and he's doing this (emulates lightnight hands) to his kid and they do that two times and he finally gets up. And maybe it always felt like there was an emotive that was just missing. Just like do something, just don't appear out of nowhere and pick him up and what-not.

So I'm all for it.

A 'correct opinion'. I see...

I heard Smith ranting about this on SIR, and I was turned off by his attitude and felt he went over the top with his mockery of those who disagreed with him.

And Smith, like seemingly everyone else who knocks those who dislike these changes, tends to miss the point: Of course George Lucas has the right and the ability to do whatever he wants with these films.

That does not mean I have to like those changes, or that I can't WISH that he would stop, or that I don't have the right to voice my displeasure. If someone is cool with these changes, good for them. That doesn't mean I can't dislike them or say as much.

Disliking these changes and complaining about them does not mean we deserve to take **** for voicing that opinion.

I understand mocking the over-the-top reactions (and I get wrapped up in that a little myself, too), but the counter-reaction to that over-the-top behavior doesn't stay targeted on the over-the-top nature of it, but instead starts to try to poke holes in the basic opinion, and I find that silly and missing the point.

I get not caring for over-the-top reactions. I don't get shooting down the underlying opinion that fuels the reaction.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    A 'correct opinion'. I see...

I heard Smith ranting about this on SIR, and I was turned off by his attitude and felt he went over the top with his mockery of those who disagreed with him.

And Smith, like seemingly everyone else who knocks those who dislike these changes, tends to miss the point: Of course George Lucas has the right and the ability to do whatever he wants with these films.

That does not mean I have to like those changes, or that I don't have the right to voice my displeasure. If someone is cool with these changes, good for them. That doesn't mean I can't dislike them or say as much.
    Kevin Smith is a comedy junkie, no surprise he mocked people in an audience. I along with him do not understand why everyone makes a big deal about this. I love Star Wars, and I don't see an issue. I have old releases on VHS, etc., but eh, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Kevin Smith is a comedy junkie, no surprise he mocked people in an audience.
    I don't think this is typical Kevin Smith comedy, though. I listen to his podcasts a lot, and this is not what I tune in for nor is it what I usually get, either. After listening to this rant for a couple of minutes, I just turned it off.

Mood

I don't think this is typical Kevin Smith comedy, though. I listen to his podcasts a lot, and this is not what I tune in for nor is it what I usually get, either. After listening to this rant for a couple of minutes, I just turned it off.
    Seems like "turning it off" is what people are going to do after they buy these Blu-Ray discs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't understand people always hating on re-makes or whatever. People who were fans of the old ones, are always against making them again, or continuing. There's another generation out there to attract to whatever series is being re-formed.

Why get upset, or be against it? And then the excuses: "I like the technology at the time, and how great it was portrayed with the limited special fx," or " You can't capture the same vibe and delivery as the old film, because before that, nothing had been done like it before." I get it, I really do. I'm a horror movie guy. I love the old films. My favorite is Nightmare On Elm Street. I remember seeing the random trailer for the remake in theaters. I didn't get pissed. My mouth dropped to the floor with shock. Because it looked so good. I had read about and seen stills up to that point, but it was the trailer that sold me. After I went and seen it, I loved it. I love the original more, due to Rob Englund, the 80's, and kill shots. But I also loved the re-make.

I love star wars. Maybe not as much as you guys, but I'm all for a re-build, re-make, or whatever is in the works. When I have kids, I want them to see Star Wars, old, new, or both.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Seems like "turning it off" is what people are going to do after they buy these Blu-Ray discs.
    Hmm?

Mood

Hmm?
    If you don't like it don't watch it, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    I don't understand people always hating on re-makes or whatever. People who were fans of the old ones, are always against making them again, or continuing. There's another generation out there to attract to whatever series is being re-formed.

Why get upset, or be against it? And then the excuses: "I like the technology at the time, and how great it was portrayed with the limited special fx," or " You can't capture the same vibe and delivery as the old film, because before that, nothing had been done like it before." I get it, I really do. I'm a horror movie guy. I love the old films. My favorite is Nightmare On Elm Street. I remember seeing the random trailer for the remake in theaters. I didn't get pissed. My mouth dropped to the floor with shock. Because it looked so good. I had read about and seen stills up to that point, but it was the trailer that sold me. After I went and seen it, I loved it. I love the original more, due to Rob Englund, the 80's, and kill shots. But I also loved the re-make.

I love star wars. Maybe not as much as you guys, but I'm all for a re-build, re-make, or whatever is in the works. When I have kids, I want them to see Star Wars, old, new, or both.
    If only this were what was going on.

While some remakes make me roll my eyes, and I feel like at least some of them are just poor cash grabs, I don't really get too bothered by them, and I even like many of them.

A few cases in point, the Nightmare remake wasn't that bad IMO, the trailer for the new version of "The Thing" looks decent to me, and while I like the Tim Burton Batman movies, I've enjoyed the Christopher Nolan ones even more.

But here there are two problems here:

First, these aren't remakes. I wish he would remake them instead of what he's doing. Rather than remake them, he keep screwing with them, and I'd be cool with that if I actually liked the changes, but I don't, so it keeps getting worse for me.

Second, and equally important: I don't have a great alternative. I can go buy Batman '89 on Blu-ray, or I can buy Batman Begins or The Dark Knight on blu-ray. What about Star Wars? It's these latest revisionist editions, or... those poor quality laserdisc ports they threw in with the last batch of DVDs that were released years ago that don't even come close to matching what they've done with this new set in terms of picture and sound. Lovely.

If he's going to revise the movies, then he's going to revise the movies; so be it. But please give me the 1995 versions with the same high-quality picture and sound, please. I'll just go watch those instead. If only I could.