Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wilson Chandler to play in China

Wilson Chandler signs contract with Chinese team - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Adande
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By J.A. Adande
    ESPN.com

Wilson Chandler said he has signed a contract with the Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association, a move that would essentially preclude him from participating in the 2011-12 NBA season if the lockout ends and the games begin.

The Chinese Basketball Association will not allow players with existing contracts to sign with its teams, so playing in China is only an option for free agents such as Chandler, a restricted free agent who finished the 2010-11 season with the Denver Nuggets.

In addition, the CBA will not allow escape clauses that would allow players to leave the Chinese league in the event the NBA resumes operations. So Chandler would not be a part of the NBA if the season begins on time or even with an abbreviated schedule starting in January or February.

"Maybe I'll lose out," Chandler said. "But I think it can be a great experience. I haven't been in any [labor negotiation] meetings. I can't call it. I'm just taking a risk, at the end of the day."

In theory Chandler could rejoin the league on a prorated basis for part of the season if the NBA is playing in April. Only the CBA finalists were still playing in April last season, so unless the Lions are among the last two battling for the championship Chandler would be available for the end of the NBA regular season if the usual schedule is followed.

As a restricted free agent the Nuggets could retain Chandler by matching an offer made by another team. Chandler, 24, averaged 12.5 points and 5 rebounds in 21 games with the Nuggets after being acquired from the Knicks as part of the trade that sent Carmelo Anthony to New York. "I like [Denver], I like the team," Chandler said. "Great young team. Coach [George] Karl is a great coach. I like the management. Hopefully I'm there."

Chandler's agent, Chris Luchey, did not specify the amount of the one-year contract with the Guangsha, or Lions, but said it was worth less than the $3.1 million qualifying offer the Nuggets made in order to retain their rights to Chandler, and more than the $1.7 million offer that has been reported elsewhere.

Chandler, who had been in talks with Olimpia Milano in Italy as well, liked the appeal of playing up to three games a week in China, as opposed to one game a week in Italy. He also liked the fact that Jim Cleamons, the former Dallas Mavericks coach who was an assistant on Phil Jackson's championship teams in Chicago and Los Angeles, will be coaching the Lions.

But he must also weigh the risk of injury and how that could affect his next NBA contract.

"It's a huge concern," Chandler said. "But as long as I take care of my body, I'll be fine. We've got insurance."

Chinese teams are allowed a maximum of two foreign players. The Lions, who are located in the city of Hangzhou, have also signed Earl Clark, who played with the Phoenix Suns and Orlando Magic the past two seasons.
    Interesting move. He was one of the better 2011 free agents.

Default Re: Wilson Chandler to play in China

I'm surprised that he did it.

Banned
    Mood

Another Nugget (probably) headed to China...

Smith nears deal to play in China - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wojnarowski
    Denver Nuggets free-agent guard J.R. Smith(notes) is nearing an agreement on the richest contract in China Basketball Association history, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Under terms of the deal, Smith would make more than $3 million to play the 2011-12 season with Shanxi, but lose his chance at unrestricted free agency prior to the start of the NBA season. Smith, who turns 26 Friday, has averaged 12.5 points per game in his seven-year NBA career.

Under league rules, the China Basketball Association is no longer signing NBA players who want opt-out clauses to return to the NBA prior to the end of the China season. China’s season runs through March.

Smith, an enigmatic but talented scorer, would risk a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract by signing to play in China. If Smith signs with Shanxi, he will be the second free agent the Nuggets have lost to China. Forward Wilson Chandler has already signed to play in China, which could hurt the Nuggets if the NBA and players union reach a labor agreement that salvages all, or part, of the 2011-12 season.

Neither player will be free to sign with NBA teams until they return from China.
    I would think both Chandler and Smith walking would increase the likelihood of Denver re-signing Nene, so this is probably bad news for us.

Sports Logo

Given that it looks like there maybe an NBA season.....this doesn't look like a good business decision by Chandler and Smith.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Forget the impact on the league, Nuggets or J.R.s pocketbook. He just screwed my fantasy basketball teams! I had him in TWO leagues as my third guard to anchor my G lineup on keeper teams. Why, J.R. WhyyyyyYYyyy.....?
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 09-08-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Banned
    Mood

Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin might play in China - The Denver Post

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Hochman
    A third free agent who played for the Nuggets last year is in serious talks to play in China.

Kenyon Martin has received significant interest from two professional teams in the Chinese Basketball Association, which would make him the highest-paid player in the history of that league, a source said today.

The CBA will not allow players contract opt-outs should the NBA season begins before the CBA's season ends. The NBA is currently in a labor lockout.

The longtime Nuggets power forward is currently weighing his options. If he signed with a team he would make more than the reported $3 million that Nuggets teammate J.R. Smith would make for a Chinese team, the source said.

Martin, like Smith, is an unrestricted free agent. Wilson Chandler​, who joined the Nuggets last February, is a restricted free agent. He has already signed with a Chinese team, but upon his return to the U.S., the Nuggets would still be able to match any offer for him.

League play in China begins in October and the regular season ends in mid-February. The playoffs go until mid-March, so theoretically, if the locked-out NBA is playing games at that point, Martin and Smith could sign as free agents to play down the stretch for an NBA team.

Martin, who turns 34 in December, is one of the NBA's top defenders and averaged 8.6 points per game and 6.2 rebounds last year for Denver.

Unbelievable that these fools would risk career ending injuries for one year in China only make 3 million or so. When they would easily make double that when ever the next season is.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

This is just stripping down the Nuggets. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This is just stripping down the Nuggets. Wow.
    Would not be surprised to see Nene bolt during FA. I mean who is left on that team. Lawson and........DANILO!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would have loved to have gotten Chandler or Martin.

I think Chandler could be a little bit of a forgotten player when next year's free agency begins. He is a hell of a young player, but there are going to be so many bigger names out on the market, and probably going to be very few teams with cap space to do anything with. I could see him being a decent value next year. He plays SF and PF, but his athleticism and strength make up for being 6'8" when matching up against taller players.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

What will the Chinese do when the NBA season starts and JR Smith gets on a plane bound for the United States?
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    What will the Chinese do when the NBA season starts and JR Smith gets on a plane bound for the United States?
    he cant his contract doesn't end until March he cant leave until then so if there is a season next year he wont be playing. He can come back the season after though.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 09-16-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Banned
    Mood

Marc Stein (stein_line_hq) on Twitter

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    Quiet expectation in Chinese basketball circles is that Wilson Chandler and J.R. Smith will be released by teams there when NBA lockout ends
    STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    But two sources who know Chinese market well say management of Kenyon Martin's team (Xinjiang) will insist K-Mart spends whole season w/them
    STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    Teams in China, remember, not allowed to put NBA outs in contracts offered to NBA players and can only sign NBA free agents per league rules
    STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
    Update on Rodney Stuckey: Guangdong in China still has offer on table to Piston guard but Stuckey held off last week in case lockout ended

That makes sense. Even though they can't sign a contract with a clause saying the contract ends when the lockout does, nothing prevents their teams from releasing them when the lockout ends.

Even in China you can't have a rule saying that a team cannot release a player.