Thread: OT Selling a PC and need advice

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT Selling a PC and need advice

I'm getting ready to sell my old PC and need to know the best way to get rid of stuff on it I wouldn't want someone to find by digging through its memory. I know I can go back and reset it to the origional status by using the recovery disk, but is there a way to to get the important stuff off without uninstalling all of the extras. I'm selling the whole system: printer, scanner, et.all so it would be an easier sell if it was ready to plug and play.

The specs are such: 700 mgz, 256K, system: ME

Now you know why I'm looking to upgrade!

Default Re: OT Selling a PC and need advice

Last time I did that, I wiped the hard drive with this http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

[edit=22=1098758674][/edit]
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

better safe then sorry.. I'd back up all your gear and find all your cd's that you have with the software on and format it all and do a complete re install

that'd be my advice but only if you/know some one that can do it... it'd take bout a hour but then she'll be cleaner then a babys freshly wiped arse.. and you might realise how fast she once was...

eather find the orig cd's or download the lastest printer drivers ect and complete format and re-install of windows ...

be the best beat to make sure all your past drama's don't end up on the nightly news

I'd be intrested to know what the re-sell price would be for that beast in the US.. down here it'd prob go for say 300/400 dependin with/with out moniter... that be say 225/400 US smacks...

intresting...
    Most ways these days of getting rid of slower PC's is by handing down in the family tree/ good friends for a spare one.. atleast then you know your info should be safe most times

Good Luck

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

I'd be lucky to fetch 100 ($ 150) for it and would have to throw warranty in to get that, otherwise 50 would be a great price, henceforth, I give those away to charities and elemtary schools.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Burt_Reincarnated

you would probably make more selling it for scrap parts to a junkyard for 10$

UNLESS you can find a real sucker!! go for the elderly!

What Able said. You may come out ahead financially donating it and taking the tax write-off. Most charities can tell you the process for that. I always re-boot from the Operating system software (probably some form of Windows) when I dispense with a PC - it's just simpler plus I think it's what you're supposed to do legally (not that anyone's gonna chase anyone down for a single license violation).

Better move quick though - IIRC, charitable in-kind contribution regs are changing in the near future.
    [edit=50=1098797234][/edit]
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Eh? What's that? Any links on those regulations changing? That's the first I've heard of it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

I just took an old machine like that, installed Fedora Core 2 on it, added a linksys wmp54gs wireless pci card, and now I have a perfectly useful machine again.

Perfect for the kids to use for doing their homework, or perfect for a internet access machine that you might want to put in a room somewhere in your house where you don't already have access.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh? What's that? Any links on those regulations changing? That's the first I've heard of it.
    No links - there was a news show not too long ago about donations of cars possibly changing in this manner:

Right now if you donate a car the donor can put his own value on it and use that for his deduction. In the future according to what they thought might happen, the donor will have to get the car appraised in some way - or, if the charity re-sells it, they can only receive a deduction for what the car sold for.

Not positive this will change for PC's but it may indicate a change in the way all in-kind donations will work.

Did find a link - huge report though. http://www.gao.gov/atext/d0473.txt

If you scroll to the bottom where they list examples, frex a 1989 Subaru that sold at auction for $50 but the owner claimed a deduction of over $3,000 for, you'll see why they think they may want to change things.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmmm, I wouldn't expect more than $200.00 unless you find a real sucker , $150.00 - $200.00 would be the ball park , also would try to sell it local as shipping a PC can get pretty expensive.
    [edit=279=1098824656][/edit]

I'm with Roy .. if you have a family like that then thats your best bet as it's one of those things that if you sell cheap you might regret it one day when it comes in handy and to buy a new old one is arrggghhhh

I'd keep it as a spare toy for the grandkids and just buy a new one.. thats for sure if it's only worth 100 us smacks

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Last time I did that, I wiped the hard drive with this http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

Thanks Doug, but that link was dead. I guess I'll dig the packaged disk out and do a complete reinstall. I'm hoping that selling the whole package, PC, printer, 19" monitor, scanner, and computer desk will get me a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug

Thanks Doug, but that link was dead. I guess I'll dig the packaged disk out and do a complete reinstall. I'm hoping that selling the whole package, PC, printer, 19" monitor, scanner, and computer desk will get me a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks again guys.
    Strange. I googled for that link before I posted it. Humm. The link I posted doesn't work. Maybe I goofed up the bbcode. Try typing this in instead: http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

I did a google for "eraser" and it was the 2nd hit.

Basically it's a utility to do a wipe your hard drive really, really well.

From their web page: Eraser is an advanced security tool (for Windows), which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. Works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and DOS. Eraser is FREE software and its source code is released under GNU General Public License.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Try this http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

Eraser
    Eraser is a secure data removal tool, which allows you to remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it with carefully selected patterns.

The program is free software, which means that everyone has access to the source code, the freedom to study it, make modifications and even distribute modified versions of their own. This freedom has made Eraser one of the most trustworthy and popular security tools for Windows.

As I said in my announcement in November, I have moved on to other projects and version 5.3 is the last release of the program I will make. Thanks to the GNU General Public License, other developers will be able to continue the work without me.
    [edit=279=1098869724][/edit]