Thread: Terre Haute

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Terre Haute

Anybody live here or ever lived here? I do and I hate it. I hate it so much.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Terre Haute

I've never been to TH, but I've never heard anything good about it either.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never been to TH, but I've never heard anything good about it either.
    It smells really bad i forget why. I think they have a company there that makes it stink and puts fumes in the air.

There's a big paper plant in Terre Haute. I think that might be it. They also make railroad ties there and I believe they soak them in poison/preservative which smells horrible.

I've been to Terre Haute many times and it isn't much to look at. It's not the worst place to live in Indiana though...and there are some things to do, particularly if you like fishing and camping. Rose Hulman is an excellent engineering school just east of town. ISU's campus is basically downtown and while not as nice as IU or Purdue, it isn't bad.

Terre Haute just south of downtown and especially the stench after it rains is the bad part.

Nothing wrong with the haute, the stench is gone for the most part unless you go down to the mall because the sewage plant has a stench of death...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Moved away from TH at the start of the 5th grade (mid 1950's) and went back to attend ISU. I still consider her my hometown.

Commercial Solvents is gone (they were really stinkie) as is Champaigne Velvet brewry. I know that during the 60's they made things like Goofey Grape there and I'm certain Clabber GIrl is still there.

As I said....even tho I only get back rarely, I still consider her my hometown.

(1622 5th Avenue...I can still remember the address).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Moved away from TH at the start of the 5th grade (mid 1950's) and went back to attend ISU. I still consider her my hometown.

Commercial Solvents is gone (they were really stinkie) as is Champaigne Velvet brewry. I know that during the 60's they made things like Goofey Grape there and I'm certain Clabber GIrl is still there.

As I said....even tho I only get back rarely, I still consider her my hometown.

(1622 5th Avenue...I can still remember the address).
    Indiana state alum 2010 here.

Mood

Class of 1969 attendee here. Ended up married before I graduated so I took a job in Indy and graduated from Uni of Indy

Greyhounds and Sycamores.....hmm...dogs and trees, somehow they seem to go together.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the haute, the stench is gone for the most part unless you go down to the mall because the sewage plant has a stench of death...
    Yep, I guess I'm a half full kind of person as THaute get's a bad rap sometimes.

Sewage plant is getting better and apparently they're working on it in phases to elimante the smell completely.

If you're young, no cash, no car, then yes T.Haute could be miserable. You have a nice facility in Hulman Center that could host some decent rock concerts (they do have country often, Miranda Lambert in about a week or so) but that hasn't taken place in years. But.... if you have a vehicle, let's face it, an hour and a half you're at Verizon. Or an hour the other direction you're at the Effingham Performance Center for old geezer rockers (who I like).

Some decent bars with decent entertainment in town and pretty good comedy at Mulligan's down on the south end. Carlos Mencia for $25 bucks this past May was hard to beat. Seen alot of the comedians from the Bob and Tom show there for the cover price of $10 bucks.

Really only a few dicey areas to avoid and I believe they pretty much show the same movies in Terre Haute they do in Indy.

Can't wait for the 9th of September for the Blues at the Crossroads downtown. Good music and a good party to be had downtown.
    http://www.bluesatthecrossroads.com/performers.php Kelly Richey on stage that Friday.
    Audio is terrible but this is one person I look forward to seeing at the Crossroads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9wrL...eature=related
    Last edited by RWB; 08-29-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Proud to be a tree. Indiana state athletics is back on the rise and that's probably the best ticket in town.

Mood

I'm tired of the bad rap Terre Haute gets. I'd go back in a second if it were at all practical for my job. The area I grew up in, the people were so nice and there were not as many problems in the schools and certainly not the same type of problems. And as someone said the smell is gone. The paper mill and railroad tie factories have scaled back or closed altogether. Buying a house in Indy is the worst decision I've ever made. The thugs roam loose in my neighborhood. No parents around to put a foot in their *** when they're messing up. A month ago some punks did a drive by on my neighbors house. And I'm supposed to send my kids to school here? I don't think so. Yessir, I'd go back to TH in a second.
    Last edited by travmil; 09-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Class of 1969 attendee here. Ended up married before I graduated so I took a job in Indy and graduated from Uni of Indy

Greyhounds and Sycamores.....hmm...dogs and trees, somehow they seem to go together.
    Ha, you would be from the class of '69

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Ha, you would be from the class of '69
    Always been a point of pride.

Hey I still have my Property of Indiana State PE t-shirt if anyone knows how I can get Bird to autograph it for me........

Always been a point of pride.

Hey I still have my Property of Indiana State PE t-shirt if anyone knows how I can get Bird to autograph it for me........
    I have the hook up on that...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I have the hook up on that...
    Huh? PM me?

Mood

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

Stay Classy Terre Haute!

I was just over there...damnit

Lived there for about 3 years, 03-mid 06ish. Haven't been back since other than the random drive through, but I do think it gets a bum rap. No it's not some destination spot, clearly, but it's condensed and has everything you'd (at least I'd) want. Of course I was young(er) then so can't speak for the school systems and things like that. Wouldn't live there again if it were up to me, but hey, it ain't Gary.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It doesnt have enough recreation centers for kids. over 75% of Terre Haute is places to eat. Has a horrible drug problem. the rich kids get everything. 25 kids got busted for weed at Terre Haute south the other day. I'd do anything to move back to the suburbs of indy.