Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colts Sign Kerry Collins

Default Colts Sign Kerry Collins

Kerry Collins to the Colts!!!

Wayne isn't happy about it, but I'm encouraged that they got a wee bit of a security blanket, just wish they'd done it sooner. Of course the Titans fans on their forum are predicting doom but who cares about them?

EDIT: Didn't realize this was being discussed in the other thread, feel free to delete.

Default Re: Colts Sign Kerry Collins

Would have rather traded for Tim Tebow or Brady Quinn.

Kerry isn't going to be that much better than what we already have. Neither would Tim/Brady, but I'd rather have one of those guys for long term. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get either one.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would have rather traded for Tim Tebow or Brady Quinn.

Kerry isn't going to be that much better than what we already have. Neither would Tim/Brady, but I'd rather have one of those guys for long term. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get either one.

No way in hell the Colts would trade for Tebow they cant afford him he makes almost 8m this year as the backup QB. Plus the Broncos probably don't want to give up on their 1st round pick of just last year.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    No way in hell the Colts would trade for Tebow they cant afford him he makes almost 8m this year as the backup QB. Plus the Broncos probably don't want to give up on their 1st round pick of just last year.
    It's actually a little over $2.2M per, but can get as high as $8M with incentives. I doubt he gets on the field enough to reach those incentives. You are right, a pretty pricey backup. Didn't think he got that big a deal.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tebow isn't getting anywhere close to $8 million a season. To even think that is just dumb. His base salary is $1.6 million this season. Considering there is absolutely no chance that Collins has a future with the team, I'd rather take the risk on Tebow, or Quinn.
    Grown Man Ball

A huge difference between the Colts and Pats is that the Pats have almost always had someone viable behind Brady. Just saying...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Tebow isn't getting anywhere close to $8 million a season. To even think that is just dumb. His base salary is $1.6 million this season. Considering there is absolutely no chance that Collins has a future with the team, I'd rather take the risk on Tebow, or Quinn.
    look at his bonuses there was rumblings that he could be cut due to his roster bonus and other bonuses. He is due 7m and could be more.

http://benmaller.com/2010/12/broncos...s-2011-salary/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16955094
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 08-25-2011 at 07:03 PM.

look at his bonuses there was rumblings that he could be cut due to his roster bonus and other bonuses. He is due 7m and could be more.

http://benmaller.com/2010/12/broncos...s-2011-salary/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16955094
    That includes his signing bonus of just over $6 million dollars, which Denver would have to pay, and another $1.5 million playing bonus if he were to play 45% of the offensive snaps during the season, which he wouldn't do here.
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    That includes his signing bonus of just over $6 million dollars, which Denver would have to pay, and another $1.5 million playing bonus if he were to play 45% of the offensive snaps during the season, which he wouldn't do here.
    So again why would Denver trade him? Unless they get a 1st round pick back even then they get burt out of 6m.

Mood

I think this was a pretty good pick up. The guy isn't Peyton but he knows how to manage the game. He may not win you the game but he won't lose it either.

So again why would Denver trade him? Unless they get a 1st round pick back even then they get burt out of 6m.
    I didn't propose that they would, just said I'd rather the Colts go after him than sign Collins.

Just read that the Colts were actually trying to go after Matt Hasselbeck last month before he signed with the Titans. Now that would've been a much better move if they would've gotten it done.
    Grown Man Ball

I'm not giving up anything, at all, for a QB that MIGHT play 2 games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    A huge difference between the Colts and Pats is that the Pats have almost always had someone viable behind Brady. Just saying...
    A big difference is also that the Pats have got lucky with some of the QB's they have picked up... Hoyer went undrafted, Cassel was a 7th round pick. Mallet was just too good a steal for a team that had way too many draft picks in last years draft... and he was still only a 3rd round pick...

We have tried to do the same thing but just hasn't worked out the same way, they patriots don't tend to trade for good backup QB's they just get lucky in the drafts... they have also had guys who they have taken that haven't turned out to be stars as well...

lol Tom Brady was even a 6th round pick...
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    A big difference is also that the Pats have got lucky with some of the QB's they have picked up... Hoyer went undrafted, Cassel was a 7th round pick. Mallet was just too good a steal for a team that had way too many draft picks in last years draft... and he was still only a 3rd round pick...

We have tried to do the same thing but just hasn't worked out the same way, they patriots don't tend to trade for good backup QB's they just get lucky in the drafts... they have also had guys who they have taken that haven't turned out to be stars as well...

lol Tom Brady was even a 6th round pick...
    I really don't believe in luck when scouting guys...especially when you see so many quality qbs come out of there. They are just better at drafting for the most part...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I really don't believe in luck when scouting guys...especially when you see so many quality qbs come out of there. They are just better at drafting for the most part...
    I do, lol for all the people that would have taken Ryan Leaf in the first round...

That is why we have bust... every team scouts a player but if teams knew that Brady would have been that good he would have gone in the 1st...

It took the Patriots 6 rounds to actually even take him... they probably thought he could be a decent back up but he out performed his predraft potential..

FYI in the past 15 years the Patriots have drafted the following QB's
    1999 Micheal Biship 7th rd
    2000 Tom Brady 6th rd
    2002 Rohan Davey 4th rd
    2003 Kliff Kingsbury 6th rd
    2005 Matt Cassel 7th rd
    2008 Kevin O'Connell 3rd rd
    2010 Zac Robinson 7th rd
    2011 Ryan Mallet 3rd rd

Most of these guys are out of the league... Brady has been the only Star, Cassell is trying to earn his strips, and Mallet always graded out as a 1st rd pick but he only dropped due to off the field concerns... Getting Brady wasn't just due to good scouting... it took a lot of luck as well...
    Why so SERIOUS

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Busts abound in the draft. Success requires many shots on goal, even if you are good at talent evaluation.

The Brady draft is well-documented by now. Belichick wan't sold on Drew Bledsoe as his starter (too mistake-prone) but he liked their other backups and was building the defense mostly that draft. The Patriots always scout everybody, though, regardless of need, and BB's QB assistant liked Brady- grading him out as a 2nd/3rd rounder.

At about the 4th round they started considering Brady based solely on value- he was literally at the top of their board. They passed him for need. By the 6th round they thought he was too much value to pass up.

Pre-draft Brady was viewed as having flawed mechanics, marginal accuracy, an average arm, the slowest QB in the draft, but very high intensity with good leadership skills.

He obviously was a sponge because his flaws were corrected in that "redshirt" rookie year, he was a workout warrior, and he improved his arm strength tremendously.

In camp the next year it was obvious who would play the next time Bledsoe screwed up or, as happened, was knocked out.

Wow, a big debate about Tim Tebow in a Kerry Collins thread? I have to admit some of you here are WAY more optimistic about his future in the NFL than I am.

I'm more worried that Collins can learn the offense in time.

I think Collins could make some plays, play within himself, and not give a winnable game away... OTOH... can the defense keep the score close enough and get the offense the ball so that the team has a shot at winning a close game? ...Especially if the offense is considerably slower paced and less high octane than in the past?

...And on the same note... Coaching would probably come more into play than it does now.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Personally I think Kerry Collins is better than Mark Sanchez, but I'm not exactly a Sanchez fan

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Personally I think Kerry Collins is better than Mark Sanchez, but I'm not exactly a Sanchez fan
    Sanchez reminds me of Rex Grossman when he was a Bear.

Sanchez reminds me of Rex Grossman when he was a Bear.

Except Rex got to the SB

Rex should have won MVP for that superbowl.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Rex should have won MVP for that superbowl.
    I concur he sucked *** that game Mr inconsistency could look like a pro bowler one week the next could look like a practice squad player.

But Mark Sanchez has been too two ACF title games. I got my money on the Jets getting to the Superbowl while Mark is there Rex Ryan is a football genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Personally I hope you were drunk when you made this post. And I don't think much of Sanchez, but that's a fairly ludicrous statement.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Personally I hope you were drunk when you made this post. And I don't think much of Sanchez, but that's a fairly ludicrous statement.
    I'll say this, Sanchez is the better of the two, but RIGHT NOW, it's closer than you think.

Collins has NEVER had an offense with the weapons the Colts have right now. Hell, he's never had an offense with weapons the caliber of the Jets, for that matter.